Moparts

IHRA red light revision in the future?

Posted By: BBR

IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 01:09 PM

I *KNOW* some of you guys will have an opinion on this...

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=15414.0
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 01:21 PM

here we go....

(takes a step backward)...
Posted By: cgall

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 01:29 PM

The "Worst Red Light" proposal has been argued for years on these boards, I hoped it had gone away for good after the main guy pushing it passed away.

Don't count on it happening, there is a huge majority of Sportsman and bracket racers against it.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 02:03 PM

Unbelievable, I just cannot understand why anyone would be against correcting a rule that places slower racers at a disadvantage everytime he stages against a faster car. It's just pure logic that says the faster cars have an advantage with that rule. I can definitely understand why the fast guys do not want the rule changed.

I have always been a supporter of this change and in discussions with NHRA several years ago provided them with results of a Monte Carlo simulation which proved without a doubt that the faster car has the advantage. They just wouldn't listen.

HERE'S HOPING IT FINALLY GETS CHANGED!!!!
Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 02:15 PM

So when the redlite comes on for the slower car what's stopping the faster car from just waiting on the green?
Posted By: 67valiant340

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 02:29 PM

Neither drivers green OR red light would come on until BOTH cars have left the starting line. The last car to leave the line would not know whether the other car had red lit or not until AFTER they had left the line themselves. I have the slower car in Footbrake 90% of the time, being that I race a '67 Valiant street car that runs 8.30 @ 84 mph in the 1/8th mile. I would LOVE to see this rule enacted, as my win percentage would increase, I'm sure. But I am NOT holding my breath while waiting.

Attached picture 5483775-DSCF8240.JPG
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 02:39 PM

Quote:

So when the redlite comes on for the slower car what's stopping the faster car from just waiting on the green?

Now there is a valid point us foot brake races would have a chance to react ?? maybe but you get focused on your own deal. The 50,000 worth of preditor F16 electronics guys wood not like that as they have the system and computers locked in and on automatic launch so would have to fumble and bumble to abort the launch sequence!! LOL!!

I think the fast car is at some disadvantage of red lighting more often having to wait but overall it may be the first at the most disadvantage of an early red???
Changing the rule may make it a huge advantage to be slow car!!
Posted By: Garceau

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 02:51 PM

Ol Steve Taylor is still able to ruffle some feathers I see.

Nothing would be displayed to alert or inform the faster driver the other car redlit.

Im really on the fence with this rule. Could go either way to me, doesnt really matter.
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 03:00 PM

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 05:23 PM

IHRA changing rules..hmmmm.sounds like something NHRA would do.. ..what they should do is disqualify anyone putting the brakelights on at the top end too

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 05:50 PM

Quote:

IHRA changing rules..hmmmm.sounds like something NHRA would do.. ..what they should do is disqualify anyone putting the brakelights on at the top end too

Wow, what a moronic statement.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:01 PM

I think it has enough merit to consider it. The old First or Worst rule has been around as long as I can remember. Any change is tough to get used to, although a lot of people voted for it last year. It seems like I see the faster cars redlighting more than the slow cars, so I can see why they don't like it. It must be hard to sit there for a couple of seconds if the difference in dial-ins is big?

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Your intitled to you opinion nimrod,but its just another form of cheating to a LOT of racers to put your brakes on to keep from braking out,choose the right dial-in and keep your foot in it..ala pinks allout put the brake lights on your GONE!!!..by the way ever bracket race??..
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:06 PM

Quote:

Unbelievable, I just cannot understand why anyone would be against correcting a rule that places slower racers at a disadvantage everytime he stages against a faster car. It's just pure logic that says the faster cars have an advantage with that rule. I can definitely understand why the fast guys do not want the rule changed.

I have always been a supporter of this change and in discussions with NHRA several years ago provided them with results of a Monte Carlo simulation which proved without a doubt that the faster car has the advantage. They just wouldn't listen.

Here is hoping it doesnt

Not a single good thing could be said for making that change.. High performance makers would sell less because everybody could live with a 13 second car, there would be no reason to spend money in the economy building roll cages, buying trick heads, etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and the 28 fans in the stands at a bracket race watching 7 and 8 and 9 second cars..expect that to be about 5 fans, watching 13 and 15 second cars lumber down the track

I dont know how this subject could possibly have even come up

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/15/09 06:11 PM

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your intitled to you opinion nimrod,but its just another form of cheating to a LOT of racers to put your brakes on to keep from braking out,choose the right dial-in and keep your foot in it..ala pinks allout put the brake lights on your GONE!!!..by the way ever bracket race??..

Um....other than the "moronic statement" part...Have you ever bracket raced?....1/3 of the race is at the big end...

Yes,i have..and putting your brakes on is WRONG...
Posted By: bwdst6

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:14 PM

Quote:

Not a single good thing could be said for making that change.. High performance makers would sell less because everybody could live with a 13 second car, there would be no reason to spend money in the economy building roll cages, buying trick heads, etc, etc, etc.

How about the thrill of going faster?

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 06:43 PM

Quote:

by the way ever bracket race??..

i was going to ask you the same thing, but someone else beat me to it...

ask anyone that is successful at bracket racing, (not the pinks all out heads up stuff), but the grass roots, sportsman, super stock, stock, hadicapped bracket racing crowd... ask them if they think its cheating to ensure you dont break out.
you are the only person i have ever heard say they thought it was cheating to get on the brakes, the only one EVER... which is why i'm curious about why you think that, seriously, you throw it out enough, but you dont explain... you meet alot of opposition about it not being cheating but part of handicapped racing, and all you say is its the worst kind of cheating... HOW? WHY is it wrong in your head?

do you go to the tower when you race and complain if someone dumps on you as them cheating?

are you seriously saying that you never ever lift? you can be 5 cars on someone and not lift going through the lights???

man i wish i raced at your home track, i'd follow you up every time, the people that know and UNDERSTAND bracket racing already know what I would be doing to you...

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 07:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

by the way ever bracket race??..

i was going to ask you the same thing, but someone else beat me to it...

ask anyone that is successful at bracket racing, (not the pinks all out heads up stuff), but the grass roots, sportsman, super stock, stock, hadicapped bracket racing crowd... ask them if they think its cheating to ensure you dont break out.
you are the only person i have ever heard say they thought it was cheating to get on the brakes, the only one EVER... which is why i'm curious about why you think that, seriously, you throw it out enough, but you dont explain... you meet alot of opposition about it not being cheating but part of handicapped racing, and all you say is its the worst kind of cheating... HOW? WHY is it wrong in your head?

do you go to the tower when you race and complain if someone dumps on you as them cheating?

are you seriously saying that you never ever lift? you can be 5 cars on someone and not lift going through the lights???

man i wish i raced at your home track, i'd follow you up every time, the people that know and UNDERSTAND bracket racing already know what I would be doing to you...

Lifting is one thing slamming your brakes on is another..and quite a few of the guys i race with consider it cheating...what you would do to me at my track??...maybe losing??...
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 07:29 PM

Quote:

Lifting is one thing slamming your brakes on is another..and quite a few of the guys i race with consider it cheating...what you would do to me at my track??...maybe losing??...

There is no difference between lifting and hitting the brakes, either way you are slowing down, the only difference is the rate at which you do so. But go ahead and call me and 95% of the successful racers here cheaters then, because I'm gonna hit the brakes and tighten up the stripe or dump you if I'm not gonna get there. Any championship winning driver will agree.

I don't think anyone understands why you think its cheating to use the brakes.

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 07:35 PM

Oh i'm sorry i forgot i was on Moparts where eveyone thinks they know everything about everything...and anyone that disagrees is wrong..NOT!!!
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 07:36 PM

Quote:

Oh i'm sorry i forgot i was on Moparts where eveyone thinks they know everything about everything...and anyone that disagrees is wrong..NOT!!!

How many track or division championships do you have to your credit?

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 08:05 PM

340s rule

first pay close attention I never referred to you in a poor way, as yuo did by calling me a nimrod. However I pretty much baited you into it and KNEW you would resort to elementary antics. I said your statement was moronic.

- wow....you obviously have no real concept of bracket racing and Im certain have had no sucess in doing it.

EVERY high dollar (as in for a living) bracket racer I know, carries numbers in their pocket and ALWAYS drives the finish line to win.

Back to the redlight rule....again I can see merits both ways.

So let me ask....if we had started with the "worst redlight rule" and now wanted to initiate the current practice. Would we go for it?

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 08:15 PM

340s rule...please go post your idea of cheating on any of the dedicated bracket racing websites. I will love to watch this circus.

Please post a link when you do. Im assuming you wont....so prove me wrong.

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 09:30 PM

Quote:

you didnt say slamming on the brakes, you said using the brakes, there is a huge difference, you said brake lights, not slamming on the brakes, you said in other posts that using the brakes is cheating, you need to keep your comments straight.

what would i do at your track? well since you have that lame duck mentality of, dial true never lift, i'd follow you up, put a tenth in my pocket, cut a decent/safe light and then play with you top end, because i could.
since i know you are going balls out and that you dont lift or hit the brakes i'll have a tenth to play with, I can make that up down track, catch you, push you out, dumping at the line... or put a fender on you and dump on you at the line.
I'd know if i caught you early that i was running fast, so i'd be ready to dump you as i'm pushing you out, if i cant catch you then i know i'm running off and i'll just push you out thinking you could be running fast, KNOWING YOU WONT LIFT, I'll expect you to break out becuase you obviously dont understand the concept of get there first without going faster then what you dialed.
then when you bought back in, I'd follow you up again and do it all over...

if you dont know how to play top end, youre a sitting duck a majority of the time.

you said about how you cant even voice your opinion if it doesnt match what others think, the problem is that youre voicing your opinion and stating something that isnt a rule, (the only thing said about brakes at the line is, no excessive braking, which is COMMON SENSE) using brakes isnt considering cheating by the majority here, hell, by everyone here except you, and when youre called out on it asking, Just to explain it, you change it saying, oh no i mean this... well thats not what you said. i'll race you in my street car, and i'll be all over my ABS brakes, Youll know i stood on it, but i didnt skid, I didnt lock them up, I just scrubbed off ET and put you on the trailer.

, just ask the people that you know are good bracket racers here on this site, Larry? Lonnie? Pat Norton? Bob George? since youre so fond of Pinks, then ask some of the winners of Pinks that are on this board, would they lift when racing handicapped? is that intelligent racing or is it cheating?
Posted By: Darrell

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 11:05 PM

Quote:

Ol Steve Taylor is still able to ruffle some feathers I see.

You don't know how maney nights Steve talked to me about this, but to tell you the truth, I would like to try it out for 1 season.
Posted By: 67valiant340

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 11:11 PM

Or at just ONE race or at ONE track. But selling parts is the name of the game. $$$

Attached picture 5484680-DSCF7013.JPG
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 11:25 PM

B3, I don't understand your statement at all. The reason to make the change is to give everyone that races an even opportunity to win.

Now I can see how the faster guys in footbrake might get unnerved by watching the tree go down slowly before he can launch. But that is the situation now, he just doesn't have to worry about the round if the slower guy redlites first.

However in the fast bracket ranks, Super Pro, Top Sportsman, Top Dragster they all release the button at the same time. There would absolutely no difference to his capability to win than it is now.

It's all about fairness and equal opportunity.

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 11:34 PM

So I will ask again...maybe it should be a seperate poll.

If we started off when bracket racing was conceived with the worst red light rule. Now someone asked if we wanted to go to the first red light rule.

Would we switch?

Darrell...I drove from Wisconsin to MMP to race a B&M race and ol ST was jabbering about it to me there.

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/15/09 11:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here is hoping it doesnt

Oh, and the 28 fans in the stands at a bracket race watching 7 and 8 and 9 second cars..expect that to be about 5 fans, watching 13 and 15 second cars lumber down the track

I dont know how this subject could possibly have even come up

Nobody is making anyone build a faster car now. Its their choice. I dont think it would hurt any parts houses, but I do think it would increase car counts.

Spectators? They arent in the stands to watch Top Sportsman either. So whats the difference? They dont come to watch fast bracket cars, so no change there.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/16/09 12:05 AM

Quote:

If we started off when bracket racing was conceived with the worst red light rule. Now someone asked if we wanted to go to the first red light rule.

Would we switch?

Kevin, when I started racing at US 30 back in the '70's, if both cars went red you were both out. Same with break-outs. If you broke out when your opponent went red you were out too. If both cars redlit/broke out in the final both got second place money.

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/16/09 12:09 AM

My dad was many time champion at US30.... before 70 though
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: IHRA red light revision in the future? - 09/16/09 05:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Would we switch?

Kevin, when I started racing at US 30 back in the '70's, if both cars went red you were both out. Same with break-outs. If you broke out when your opponent went red you were out too. If both cars redlit/broke out in the final both got second place money.

Exactly - and the people that would put up dial-ins that were slower than they could run were labeled "Sandbaggers" and run off, too. That's where the term "Sandbagger" started - putting sandbags or other ballast in for time runs, then dumping it for eliminations. Used to be taboo, now it's okay because everybody does it. Racing seems to have went in other directions than other sports. It's still considered cheating in other handicap sports (league bowling, golf, etc) to sandbag, but ok to brake dump in racing. A batter that gets caught looking back at the catcher to see where the next pitch is coming gets tossed, but it's ok to use a delay box to leave off the other lanes tree. So I can't see people agreeing on the red light rule - too many different agendas.
© 2024 Moparts Forums