Moparts

CSI Trans Shield question?

Posted By: 451Mopar

CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 04:34 AM

I finally got the transmission put together, and Placed the CSI carbon Fiber shield over the transmission (727) and it looks like the band that wraps around the transmission will hit my shift linkage? Even with the spacer plate that came with the shield?

What I'm I doing wrong?
Posted By: rebel

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 07:51 AM

it's a close fit on mine too but there is enough clearence with my T/A shifter. what shifter do you have?
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 12:44 PM

I have a Turbo Action shifter as well. It is a close fit but it works without interference.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 01:52 PM

i made a L shaped bracket about 4 inches wide that sticks up just enough to give me a little more clearance

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 08:23 PM

Quote:

it's a close fit on mine too but there is enough clearence with my T/A shifter. what shifter do you have?

I have the stock '71 B-Body Slap-Stick so I am not using a reverse valve body.

I may split the CSI plate, and weld in a spacer so it sits further out. I will have to see how much room I have to work with once the trans is in the car.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/14/09 08:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have the stock '71 B-Body Slap-Stick so I am not using a reverse valve body.

I may split the CSI plate, and weld in a spacer so it sits further out. I will have to see how much room I have to work with once the trans is in the car.

If you modify it in anyway, the warranty is void and so is the SFI /Tech portion of it

Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 02:01 AM

I had the same problem with mine. I ran the strap under trans pan, but when I put strap through the bracket, I folded the strap in half, then installed a 1/4" bolt (with lock nut and washers) through the slot in the bracket, keeping the strap away from shifter lever & cable. After the strap came through the sloted bracket, I opened it back up to go through the buckle. Also used the large pin (?like a safety pin) to keep loose end of strap away from headers.
Posted By: BradH

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 01:34 PM

I ended up not bothering to use their supplied bracket for extending the strap out from the pan rail. Instead, I just ran the strap around the linkage w/o over-tightening it so it doesn't interfere w/ the OEM Slap-Stik shifter linkage.
Posted By: rtstreet

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 01:45 PM

i hate to say, but i know alot of people dont even use the strap, they just bolt the shield up and go.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 05:19 PM

Quote:

i hate to say, but i know alot of people dont even use the strap, they just bolt the shield up and go.

With the shield sandwiched between the trans and a stock steel floor the strap probably doesn't do much. If you have a thin aluminum floor use the strap! You could fail tech without the strap if you're required to have the shield.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

With the shield sandwiched between the trans and a stock steel floor the strap probably doesn't do much. If you have a thin aluminum floor use the strap! You could fail tech without the strap if you're required to have the shield.

I don't use my strap....it's rolled up out of the way....I don't see how the shield could go anywhere.

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/15/09 08:57 PM

I could get away with out the strap, as I can't go quicker than 11:50 anyhow (no roll bar), but I prefer to have the strap installed.
I bought the shield when I was running the stock transmission internals, and wanted some extra protection 'just in case', but the intake valve broke before I got the shield installed. The SFI cert is probbably close to being out of date too.

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 09/16/09 12:29 AM

They will never check the SFI cert date on the shield....but for like $25 they will recert the shield if you want.
Posted By: gtxwannabe

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/27/13 09:40 PM

I just bought a CSI shield. I suppose I need to remove the transmission? Any easier way?
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/27/13 10:23 PM

Quote:

I just bought a CSI shield. I suppose I need to remove the transmission? Any easier way?

Nope.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/27/13 10:41 PM

Quote:

Unless they changed the design, you will need to cut off the 2 forward bosses on the outside of the transmission to clear the shield.

Attached picture 7605867-Case_trim_boss.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/27/13 10:43 PM

other side, before trimming

Attached picture 7605868-Case_CSI_lugs.jpg
Posted By: Kiner

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 12:21 AM

Quote:

What car do u have?
My experience . 70 rr 440 727. first u need a 3/8 12pt universal socket. On me two bolts bottomed out. Had to cut off a 1/4".
I had the engine and kframe out. Had to bolt it up a few times it hits in a few spots. It was fun to say the least.

If I had to try to do it the car i would probably unbolt the engine and tilt it. good luck . my

The bolts that come with it are 3/8 12 pt. allen bolts dont even work.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 12:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What car do u have?
My experience . 70 rr 440 727. first u need a 10mm 12pt universal socket. On me two bolts bottomed out. Had to cut off a 1/4".
I had the engine and kframe out. Had to bolt it up a few times it hits in a few spots. It was fun to say the least.

If I had to try to do it the car i would probably unbolt the engine and tilt it. good luck . my

The bolts that come with it are 10mm 12 pt. allen bolts dont even work.

Mine were 3/8 12 point heads, a little long though.
Posted By: ro23car

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 01:36 AM

should be 3/8 bolts iirc.
Posted By: Kiner

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 02:49 AM

Thanks guys. correction 3/8 12pt..

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 03:53 AM

The bolts that came with mine were to long too.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 02:05 PM

The older ones came w/ allen head bolts that were too long. The newer ones come w/ 12 pt. 3/8 bolts.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 03:27 PM

Don't underestimate an exploding rotating assembly like a transmission. The strap is there for the reason of snuggling the shield around the transmission and thus, ballistically containing the moving parts or at least deflecting them downward.
I would use the strap even if it may have to be moved slightly. The bolts with mine were also too long.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: CSI Trans Shield question? - 02/28/13 04:43 PM

I also had to ditch the belt bracket because it hit the left side header Still use the strap

Attached picture 7606809-9.12.12007.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums