Moparts

How to store a race car???

Posted By: Hyper Henry

How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 12:16 PM

Hey Guys

I only have a couple races left this season and it looks like they may be my last for a bit I have decided I am going to take at least one season off probably more. My 10 year old daughter plays on a travelling softball team and it just takes a lot of time. Plus next year I will be helping coach so that will take even more time. So my question is how do I store a race car for an extended period of time. Besides the obvious of changing the oil, putting some antifreeze in the cooling system and backing off the valve train what else should I be doing The car will be stored in my enclosed trailer which will be stored in a storage shed.

Derrick
Posted By: MegaDart

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 01:00 PM

fog the cylinders with marine fogging oil. remove carb, empty it, clean and lubricate it. I would store it at your house. Air up tires and put car on jackstands to prevent flatspots. Put a battery tender on it if you can.
Posted By: 74DusterP457

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 01:24 PM

I'd like to offer some other thoughts:

1) COMPLETELY drain the fuel system. Then mix up a small amount of oil/gas and pump it through the system to leave a lubricating coat on fuel pump and regulator. Rubber will dry out in pumps and regulators

2) Jack stands - good idea, but you need to put some support under the suspension. The idea is not to let the suspension be completely loaded (as normal) or fully unloaded - just support the suspension.

3) Disconnect the battery

4) Completely drain the radiator and block. don't use antifreeze. If everything is dry, the cold won't split anything on you.

5) If the car is really going to sit unused for an extended period of time, I suggest removing the tires/wheels and stacking them in a place where they aren't exposed to direct sunlight. Put them on a piece of plywood or cardboard - not directly on the garage floor. I wipe with Armor-All before storing would be a good idea too.

6) Definitely back off the rocker arms and lubricate the cylinders.

7) If time in your schedule allows, go out and reverse this process once a year and start the car up and run it - even on jack stands.
Posted By: Garceau

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 02:01 PM

Well its going to be in an enclosed trailer. May be tough to get it on jack stands.

Swap out the wheels/tires for some street tires and pull it in.

Make sure everything is all lubed up, joints etc before hand.

I would keep anti freeze in it. Personally..... because you drain it, you still have moisture in the block. yes it wont crack but it could rust - it will rust. Then you will have it all in your system later.

I like the idea of pumping some gas/oil mix through the fuel system. Pull the carb, drain it, lube it and wrap it in plastic bag on the shelf.

Doesnt really matter what you do with the rear slicks, they will be junk if they arent used for an extended period of time. Oils dry out and they dont work as designed.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 02:04 PM

Derrick,you HAVE to back and defend your title after SPANKIN' THE BEAVER!! Maybe you can still make a few select races.Either way best of luck

Attached picture 5479572-IMG_2321.JPG
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 11:51 PM

Here's my on storing it!! Bring it to my house and I wlll take of it while you take time off
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/13/09 11:56 PM

I can't think of the name but the last couple years i have went to the local hardware store and bought 4 or 5 small cups of moisture adsorbent and place them around the car to help with moisture in or around certain areas

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/14/09 12:53 AM

Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming if you think of anything else

Hey Al, I would love to go back to the Beaver but just no time right now. But rest assured I will get back there sometime

Derrick
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/14/09 05:23 PM

Most of the above, plus:

Mouse killer everywhere. Mothballs just because it might help.

Put a trail of borax around the trailer. Insects won't cross it.

Sell your race tires and buy new ones when you are ready to race again.

Put the battery in something else and buy a new one when the time comes.

Take the headers off, Paint or coat if needed, fog the inside and tape all of the openings in the headers and heads. OR leave them on the engine and stuff the collectors with desicant bags(moisture absorbant) and tape off the ends.

Put the trailer up on stands or blocks and store the trailer tires inside the trailer. If 2 years turns into 10 years(it happens a lot) buy new trailer tires.

Don't seal up the trailer too tight. Don't want moisture build up.

Look into getting one of those plastic bubbles that they sell for storing antique cars.

Lastly, If the car meens a lot to you then do the above otherwise concider selling it and then buy something else when you are ready to start again.

Your doing the right thing. Enjoy the kids while you can. The time will come to race after they are gone.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/14/09 07:11 PM

Put it in the back of your shop and run it one a week, take it out on short trips just to terrorize your nabors just so they wont start to like you, this way it will be like you never stopped racing
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/14/09 07:43 PM

I do everything everyone mentioned, plus I take the motor out and hang the car from the ceiling to keep it out of my way.

Posted By: AZ-Nick

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/15/09 12:00 AM

most importantly..... GPS the car incase the unknown happends.....
Posted By: Garceau

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/15/09 12:16 AM

Make sure to close the valves..... open headers and mice in the country are a real pain in the azz. Not a corn field for a mile. Dayum things...

Re: How to store a race car??? - 09/15/09 03:31 AM

Great feedback guys, a bunch of things I never thought of
Holy crap, those rodents can get anywhere I am thinking I will pull the motor and keep it on the stand in my shop just to be safe.

Derrick
© 2024 Moparts Forums