Moparts

Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam

Posted By: DLP4

Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 03:35 PM

I'm interested in installing a roller cam in a street only hemi car but I'm having trouble finding all the info I need to do what I want.

Does anybody make a "tame" solid roller cam for a street driven hemi?

Do I need a bronze intermediate gear if I can find a street cam? Or do I always need bronze?

How do I install a cam button? (The shim is probably self-explanitory but I should ask about installing that too.)

I had a Comp Cams 557/540 that I was happy with until the lobes went away. Something in that performance range or even a little less would be good.

thanks
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 03:56 PM

I've never seen a "tame" roller for a Hemi, I have a couple of the "smaller" ones that are available, and they are still around .650 lift and are pretty long on duration. I doubt if there is one available....I don't see the market for one.

You will need the bronze gear if it is a billet cam (most rollers are).

I still use the same old Crane cam button I've used for many years....I just tap it into the front of the camshaft in between the three bolts.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/12/09 04:01 PM

Posted By: mr_340

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 04:15 PM

Crane had a few Street Roller cams for the Hemi on their website before going under. I don't know if the resurfaced company still makes cams for cars.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 04:23 PM

Check into pushrod oiling too when buying lifters. Some of us use cams with a little more lift and were gauling pushrods. It can be an issue, its not always an issue, but I believe you need oil through lifters to do it, so why not get those either way.
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 04:32 PM

Contact Tim at FHO.
http://www.forhemisonly.com/
He can give you all the answers and set you up with what you will need.
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 05:18 PM

Crower makes a small solid roller. A member on this board had one in his Hemi car and loved it. I think he put around 15000 miles on it before he sold the car.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 05:55 PM

Quote:

Check into pushrod oiling too when buying lifters. Some of us use cams with a little more lift and were gauling pushrods. It can be an issue, its not always an issue, but I believe you need oil through lifters to do it, so why not get those either way.

I would go stright to comp cams .They helped me put together a package with roller cam,roller lifters and valve springs.I am using the 848 amc style lifter with the EDM oiling,also sent oil up the exhaust pushrods to a solid adjuster.A cam in the low 600,s would be real easy and give you plenty of grunt What are your intentions with this build,are you assembling it yourself and what kinda car??
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 06:10 PM

I went to Cam Dynamics for my custom grind roller cam and I'm very happy with it. I run power brakes so I needed something that wouls allow for enough vacuum for the power booster....My cam is .611 Intake and .545 exhaust and 245@50... I went with Morell lifters and yes you will need a bronze gear. The car ran a best of 12.1 @ 116, 4000 lb car and a 4 speed. I know it has mid 11s in her, I just have to get the suspension dialed in. Go roller and don't look back, it's well worth the extra $$$$$....and it works well on the street.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 09:00 PM

Bush the lifter bores.

Otherwise you can and probably will run into some issues, especially if it's an original(old) casting that's been handed around a lot over the years.

MB

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 09:03 PM

Quote:

Bush the lifter bores.

Otherwise you can and probably will run into some issues, especially if it's an original(old) casting that's been handed around a lot over the years.

MB

Would you provide pressurized oil to the lifters??

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 09:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bush the lifter bores.

MB

yep.

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 09:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bush the lifter bores.

MB

yep.

Mike,how large on opening would you use in the "BUSH"

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 09:44 PM

I run an .080" orifice.

Too many original blocks and some of the newer ones as well have very inconsistent lifter bores.

MB
Posted By: six-barrel

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/12/09 10:16 PM

Here's one I got from Crowler.

If your using a mechanical pump make sure you specify that.

Idled nice, lots of vacuum.

Attached picture 5478533-scan_cam_lowres.JPG

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/13/09 01:53 AM

six-barrel - did the custom grind have a premium charge? I see Crower has an off-the-shelf cam with similar specs. Did you use Crower lifters?

I need a valve spring compressor. Is there anything around that will work with the heads on or off?
Posted By: hemi_doug

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/13/09 01:57 AM

Quote:

six-barrel - did the custom grind have a premium charge? I see Crower has an off-the-shelf cam with similar specs. Did you use Crower lifters?

I need a valve spring compressor. Is there anything around that will work with the heads on or off?

If you want to do it right I would take the heads off and get the valve tip and spring heights correct...also clean up the valves and seats. You're gonna want to degree the cam as well...

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/13/09 02:30 AM

Quote:

If you want to do it right I would take the heads off and get the valve tip and spring hights correct...also clean up the valves and seats. You're gonna want to degree the cam as well...

Thanks for good advice. I've got the heads off but since I need to buy a spring compressor I thought it would be nice to have one that would allow me to pull the springs with the heads on if I need it later. But it looks like this would be two different tools
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/13/09 02:33 AM

Quote:

Here's one I got from Crowler.

never heard of them. do they make cams?
Posted By: six-barrel

Re: Help needed updating a 426 hemi with a roller cam - 09/13/09 04:05 AM

Okay, okay, a typo,

Yes I went with CROWER lifters as well. Bushed the lifter bores as well.
© 2024 Moparts Forums