Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:05 AM

Attached picture 5477093-DSC01083.JPG

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:07 AM

Attached picture 5477096-DSC01084.JPG
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:08 AM

I'm not sure that is helping to get air to those carbs and any that gets in there will be turbulent at best and even passing over the carbs out through the back

Russ
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:09 AM

looks like 63 split window coupe vette,
what the heck are you doing?
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:10 AM

Carbs are way to close to the top of the hood..you have to have atleast 1 inch over the vent tubes..2 inch is more like it..put you a nice looking aero scoop on it...I bet it would pick up 2 tenths..
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:13 AM

take a piece of string and tape one end to the front of the hood, other end to the roof. opening needs to be above that line. thats what i read in a BOOK (i'm really just like quicktree )
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:14 AM

Did the same thing on my brothers car.. It would suck the fuel out of the top of the carb. It was like the care hit a brick wall, and wouldn't go any faster. He went from a single 4 to TR with 2. The car went 8.98 with a single and 9.20 with the TR. Changed the hood to a pro-stock style and went 8.42 after lots of tuning...

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:16 AM

Show me a pic of the hood an scoop it needs.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:19 AM

Is it a lift off hood? A buddy picked up a bunch just taking the hood off the car. Something easy to try if they will let you make a pass without one.

i will be running a hogan intake like yours with this hood, just a little taller. 8.47

Attached picture 5477124-4726287-65hemiBelvederePINKS.jpg

the old mopar pro style would look good on that car
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:21 AM

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRD-3182/

This is what he is running now.. I'll go dig around and see if I can't find a picture of bubs car.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:22 AM

Quote:

Carbs are way to close to the top of the hood..you have to have atleast 1 inch over the vent tubes..2 inch is more like it..put you a nice looking aero scoop on it...I bet it would pick up 2 tenths..

I told him that 3 months ago but he's hard of hearing. (stubburn). When I tried a tunnelram on my daytona the carbs were to close to the top of the scoop. It ran great for about 600 feet then fell off.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:22 AM

Quote:

Is it a lift off hood? A buddy picked up a bunch just taking the hood off the car. Something easy to try if they will let you make a pass without one.

Took the hood off an it slowed down a bunch!

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:23 AM

This car fly's...

Attached picture 5477134-smallaero.jpg

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:23 AM

Quote:

Have you ever seen the clear plexiglass scoops? I think RT540 had one and I saw cars in Orland with them. They don't detract from the car or hood since they are clear. They have a good size opening too.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I told him that 3 months ago but he's hard of hearing. (stubburn). When I tried a tunnelram on my daytona the carbs were to close to the top of
the scoop. It ran great for about 600 feet then fell off.

Ya it goes bout 200ft then its DONE!

Quote:

Quote:

Took the hood off an it slowed down a bunch!

OK, scratch that, glad you tried it already.

Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever seen the clear plexiglass scoops? I think RT540 had one and I saw cars in Orland with them. They don't detract from the car or hood since they are clear. They have a good size opening too.

No?
Posted By: vc360

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:26 AM

Quote:

I agree carbs are too close.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:28 AM

Yes carbs are too close. What are the options for a hood? Nothing against the guys that have the hemi type scoops but is there something different?
Posted By: Ari440

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No?

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:32 AM

YA thats wild!

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:33 AM

Did you have air cleaners on it?You have to have a flat hood with the carbs popping up thru and put the air cleaners on it..you will have to much turbulance without the air cleaners..

Think about it..you have a big motor with big carbs and a big intake..needs alot of air to get it moving..

It probably goes 600 feet and quits pulling..been there done that...cowl hood take alot of R/D to get to work...
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:33 AM

I feel your pain when it comes to hoods/scoops, etc

To stay under my hood, I can't run a spacer and I use a dropped base air cleaner so it don't suck a rock in and all that means is can't get it to work right and throttle will not go to WOT and yes we tried some things and not done yet but it slows the car down

If you want it to look like a certain era and use certain parts, it limits you .

I highly doubt that if the old guys could of went super fast without altering wheelbase and 100 other things they did they would of , we look back and now it looks cool but, then I'm sure there were people that didn't like to do it

I do agree on the bigger, pro style scoop for getting those carbs in clean air but, that should not cause it to backfire not start ,etc

Posted By: Garceau

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:34 AM

Cars with the hoods off generally will slow down. Thats bucking alot of wind into that firewall etc.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:38 AM

Quote:

Cars with the hoods off generally will slow down. Thats bucking alot of wind into that firewall etc.

hhmmm, i never run a hood

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:41 AM

Quote:

Did you have air cleaners on it?You have to have a flat hood with the carbs popping up thru and put the air cleaners on it..you will have to much turbulance without the air cleaners..

Think about it..you have a big motor with big carbs and a big intake..needs alot of air to get it moving..

It probably goes 600 feet and quits pulling..been there done that...cowl hood take alot of R/D to get to work...

I no dont have any air cleaners on it.
Posted By: Garceau

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Should try one, think about the wind just hitting that firewall. Your like going through the air with a 2x6 piece of plywood on the front end. I realize an open grill lets some air in there anyways, but this also creates alot of turbulence. I took my steel hood off my dart, figured being lighter would pick me up some. It fell off a bunch. Put hood back on, same day, picked right back up.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 03:03 AM

as i said in your other post, i know a little about t/r's.when you get a scoop, make sure the opening is large enough. and make sure you position it correctly. the more clearance you have on top of the carbs, the better you are. lastly, seal the carbs., at least put a pan on the carbs to reduce turbulence.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 03:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No?

Is the back of the cowl scoop open... if so close it
off with a piece of plexiglass or lexan.... if the air
is coming in the front it can go straight through
and create a suction on the carbs.... if they are
close to the top get more clearance.... I like 2"
minimum... more is better... and the string from
the front of the hood to the roof line works(opening
needs to be above that line)
EDIT
You might want to phase the dist also... that could
be the back fire issue
Posted By: instigator

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 11:50 AM

Fuel injection with twin 4-brrel throttle bodies....all problems solved!.....and use same hood.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 05:04 PM

Quote:

This car fly's...

What scoop is this?
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 05:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This car fly's...

What scoop is this?

Kinda looks like what Eddie did Shawn, aero scoop grafted to a cowl
Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 05:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This car fly's...

What scoop is this?

Kinda looks like what Eddie did Shawn, aero scoop grafted to a cowl

Yep, that's what it is. The manifold and carb was too high for the cowl so they added the scoop on top.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 05:08 PM

I kinda like that!

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 05:14 PM

maybe this?

Attached picture 5478111-cowl.jpg
Posted By: RT540

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 06:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Attached picture 5478206-LEXANSCOOP.jpg
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 07:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I feel your pain, my scoop looks like I'm trying to catch something other than air. My Older hood scoop didn't have enough clearance, you could actually see the scoop getting sucked in, like the carb wanted to eat it.

Attached picture 5478319-atco12.jpg

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 09:04 PM

On tunnel ram and dominator equipped cars I would go with a aero style scoop. I had one on my S/G car and it worked well..There is a reason all the pro stock are running them, they are worth a bunch over the older style snorkle scoops.

Attached picture 5478423-PRP1.jpg
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 09:18 PM

Quote:

maybe this?

just make sure it is high enough
Posted By: topside

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/12/09 09:33 PM

I'd be tempted to try ducting air from the inboard headlamp openings into hats (or an oval box) for the carbs, and use a cowl hood without the front holes.
30 years ago, we proved the deal with air sucking the mixture out the tops of the carbs on a tunnel-ram '57 SB Vette; fabricating a simple cover that blocked air from the front & back but open on the sides, using a simple flat sheet of aluminum, fixed that, but it sure was ugly.
If you can borrow an aero scoop, mock it up to determine if you can see the 'tree while staging.
Venting the hood at the rear will get rid of the air in the engine compartment hitting the firewall.
Posted By: Dartari

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 02:28 AM

hemi hood is the best.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 02:43 AM

EVEN the taller max wedge scoop would be period correct for your car and be the best functioning.

Attached picture 5479009-63PLYMOUTH65DODGEA99068HEMIROADRUNNER009.JPG
Posted By: W5Dart378

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 03:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Have you ever seen the clear plexiglass scoops? I think RT540 had one and I saw cars in Orland with them. They don't detract from the car or hood since they are clear. They have a good size opening too. [/quote

Sounds like ORSCA Limited Street nitrous cars..

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

EVEN the taller max wedge scoop would be period correct for your car and be the best functioning.

I personaly not interested in a period correct hood. It looks great on ur hot rod but not for me.
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 05:04 AM

I can't even imagine how tall a "period correct" scoop would have to be to fit Shawns car, I think a MW scoop that tall would be one ugly beast.

Gonna have to be an aero scoop to fit that setup.

That's what I like about Shawn "dare to be different" and use what works best (heaven forbid) instead of what the "Mopar Gods" deemed correct.

Go for it, I wanna see a bumper draggin 8 second time slip

The scoop works for AJ and I'm pretty sure his car's all Mopar (if it matters )

Attached picture 5479242-08stratus005.jpg
Posted By: Tobbe

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 08:45 AM

when you all in to hood scoops here are more info

some youtube airflow vidīs
web page
web page
web page
Posted By: Tobbe

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 10:03 AM

web page
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 01:49 PM

Maybe you could get the Wescotts to help you. They run a PERIOD CORRECT type scoop and with less than 450 cubic inches they are running 8.40's @ 155 to 158.

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/13/09 11:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I personaly not interested in a period correct hood. It looks great on ur hot rod but not for me.

then why do you still push transmission buttons,on your dash, do you still have your bench seat or did you take it out?
goodluck with your venture.

Attached picture 5480439-63plymouthmaxwedgeatATCO4.26.09750.JPG

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/14/09 01:39 AM

I like my push buttons an my bench seat cause its different. I dont wanna be like everyone else. Sometimes it bits me in the butt, but im different an my car reflects it.

An ya my hood will be different too
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/14/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

I would have said the same thing an hour ago but then I saw the pics at Moparmax.com of both of the Wescot's cars at Indy.
http://www.moparmax.com/events/2009/iv_9-hemi-1.html
The vents look like they are holding the scoop up LOL. Conventional wisdom says that should not work . Duh.

I think I would try the short aero scoop on top of your existing cowl hood like a few others have suggested.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Holes in cowl hood - 09/14/09 04:18 PM

I`ve been debating the issue of air horn clearance for years simply based on the super stock hemi`s......
© 2024 Moparts Forums