Moparts

Who here run caltracs?

Posted By: hemi_doug

Who here run caltracs? - 09/09/09 10:09 PM

I have some questions.....how does the suspension react to adding/removing preload on the springs? I have tried both upper and lower holes so far and can feel the difference in tire hit, but there must be more tuning in the preload other then getting the car to go straight right?
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 01:56 AM

Well I've only had mine out twice so my experience is not that good. 1st time out with the bar in the lower hole and an 1/8" gap between the spring and the top bolt and the shocks set at 5. Car ran in the 10.6's with a best pass of 10.59. 60's were 1.48 to 1.54 with an average of 1.52. My sig pic is from the 1st outing. 2nd time out I put 2 flats of preload in left side and 4 in the right. 60's were almost identical. The weather was worse so the car slowed about .1. The car left like this. http://www.erikandersondesigns.com/images/2009/06-13-MokanAllOut/0008/imagepages/image13.html Jim
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 09/10/09 02:05 AM

Posted By: Kevins493

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 02:09 AM

I set both sides so you can slike a nickel under them, then add a flat to the passenger side. It's been 1.36 60' on 10.5" tires.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 05:50 AM

are you guys running the calvert mono leafs also?
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 12:43 PM

I run the calvert monoleafs and set the bars just like the instructions said. It has been a 1.419 60 foot and 1.42's consistently. Ranchos set on 7.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 12:54 PM

set bars just touching, if car goes right, add preload to right bar till it goes straight
Posted By: Georg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 01:10 PM

I had bars on lower hole, left side bar just touching and right was 1/2 turn preload. Rancho shock was at 7 position
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 01:39 PM

I do have their mono leaf springs. shocks are QA=1's.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 02:01 PM

My Challenger has CalTracs w/ mono-leaf springs. Here are the details on my suspension:
- 6-cylinder torsion bars
- QA1 R-series front shocks
- Upper control arm bumpers cut down
- CalTrac split monos w/ 20" A-body front segment & stock ride height
- CalTrac bars for 20" A-body front segment
- Rancho 5-way adjustable shocks (#9116)
- AR Engineering front spring hangers for SS springs
- Pinion angle 3.5 degrees
- Link bar in lower hole
- 1/4 turn preload on driver side; 1/3 additional turn preload on passenger side
- Rear shocks on 3 of 5 (middle extension setting)
- Front shocks on 1 of 12 (lightest extension setting; fixed firm compression damping)
- Rear tires 17.5 psi
- Front tires 45 psi
- Front suspension set up for approx. 5 1/4" extension from static ride height

This is a summary of last five passes in current state of tune running on M/T 275/60R15 ET Street Radials:
60 / 660 / 660 MPH / 1320 / 1320 MPH
1.459 / 6.682 / 101.66 / 10.566 / 126.01
1.468 / 6.677 / 101.87 / 10.561 / 126.00
1.463 / 6.698 / 101.45 / 10.582 / 126.18
1.464 / 6.682 / 101.71 / 10.563 / 126.12
1.459 / 6.681 / 101.47 / 10.570 / 125.97

FWIW, two things which turned out to be critical for the car to hook consistently were (a) getting enough front-end travel (5"+ as per Calvert's guidelines) to keep from unloading the rear tires on the launch and (b) running enough tire pressure to keep the sidewalls from folding up and loosing traction right after the "hit".

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 04:47 PM

Thanks for some great info Brad....I guess I just need to continue tuning/testing. I see some settings I need to change based on your info but my question is "when is too much preload too much?"......and how does preload affect the hit on the tire...does more preload hit harder and less softer? Would you make adjustments to the preload for track condition or just play with tire pressures and just leave adjustabilty for "bite" to that alone?

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 05:53 PM

I found this an a non-Mopar site:

CAL-TRAC SETTINGS
Top hole – Hardest Hit (start here)

Bottom hole – Softer Hit, moves IC forward

More Pre-load, Softer Hit

Less Pre-load, air gap, harder hit

If car pulls to the right add a quarter turn of pre-load to the right bar and visa versa.

Set front shocks soft

Set rear shocks on #5, if car wants to porpoise go to 6 or 7 (harder).

If car spins, needs harder hit

Too much wheel stand…. Softer hit, restrict front travel
Posted By: 1OFNONE

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 06:11 PM

Dont forget to set them with the driver in the car. Or something of equal weight in the drivers seat. That made a big difference for me.

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 06:36 PM

Quote:

CAL-TRAC SETTINGS

If car pulls to the right add a quarter turn of pre-load to the right bar and visa versa.

Set front shocks soft

So if you are spinning out of the hole you want to hit the tire harder? I would think you would go softer? No? I'm so confused.....

I'm spinning out of the hole...quite a bit.... now it could have been the conditions but I just couldn't get it right. The best I could get was 1.87 60 ft. The car is running 116 through the traps...I should be turning mid 11s but I can't seem to get out of the 12s...12.1 being the best. I've tried the top hole and bottom hole with the bottom hole being the best one to date. I've tried tire pressures from 14 psi to 20 psi (hoosier QTP 28 x 11.50)....I don't know which way to go....I was going to try a "looser" preload next time out but now...?????

I'm running the calvert 90/10s in the front with plenty of rise on the launch.....Ranchos set at the stiffist setting and mono springs...4000 lb race weight.

Oh...PS....I'm dropping the clutch at 4K....
Posted By: 11secondC

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 06:52 PM

That also brings up the question. Any difference between bias or radial setup.

FWIW, I run mine bottom hole. Just touching driver side, 2 flats preload passenger side. 7 on the Rancho's, with 275/60's. Goes straight, just not as quick as I'd like. Dead consistent tho even on an unprepped street night.

I'm changing to a 29x11.5 QTP for next year, not sure what direction I should go with mine.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 07:15 PM

I have mine in the bottom hole,,,,

Rear shocks on 7 ( works best for me )

(any higher,,,8,9, etc,,,and the car SPINS)

Front shocks (for me) are QA-1 set on 3 (soft),,,it doesnt like one as much

I set mine so both bars just touch,,,and then add a 1/2 turn of preload on the passenger side,,, ( ps,,i do this without someone being in the car,,driver seat,,etc),,actually this is what i was told by Calvert,,,that it was ok to set it this way without the driver weight...

I think your rear shock setting it too high,,,,i would go for 5-7 and see what it does...

I know everyone runs their front end real loose,,,mine doesnt seem to like it as much,,,
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 09:49 PM

I have very little experience with them also, however without them my best 60' was ~ 1.80 and with them I made 2 passes, both were 1.64 60'

My car is as heavy as yours, runs a bit less mph and has gone 11.67.

Mine are set; bottom hole, both just touching, 1 extra flat in the pass side without weight in the seat (I can't find 3 people to sit on each other in my seat ) Rancho's set to 5 or 6 (don't remember), Calvert front shocks and MT 275-60 ET Street Radials. Car went straight on both passes (and nothing broke )

The big question in my mind is the 4k launch, heavy car & small tire, you might need to to leave softer....

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 09:55 PM

Problem is if I leave below 3800-4k she tends to bog down as the clutch catches up with the motor.. She likes 4K but she spins out of the hole...Guess I still have to find that sweet spot. Maybe I need a bigger tire....
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/10/09 11:58 PM

Quote:

Problem is if I leave below 3800-4k she tends to bog down as the clutch catches up with the motor.. She likes 4K but she spins out of the hole...Guess I still have to find that sweet spot. Maybe I need a bigger tire....

Try softening up the rears,a taller tire helps.

Attached picture 5474927-5-21-S6%20067.jpg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 12:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Try softening up the rears,a taller tire helps.

Eye-eye sir! LOL...how yea been buddy?

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 12:41 AM

Been great,missed ya at MUSCLEPALOOOOSER!

Attached picture 5475036-IMG_2486.JPG

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

I have some questions.....how does the suspension react to adding/removing preload on the springs? I have tried both upper and lower holes so far and can feel the difference in tire hit, but there must be more tuning in the preload other then getting the car to go straight right?

doug, i called you but went to voicemail, i can get your car to leave like this.

Attached picture 5475061-4726287-65hemiBelvederePINKS.jpg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 12:58 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I missed you guys as well....but it was a good reason...I got to play on Tuesday at a track rental...I can't go into detals but it will all come out sometime in the future....

Chris...You going to Island any time soon? The track stuff is still on the car.... ...I REALLY want that 11 second time slip.....

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I missed you guys as well....but it was a good reason...I got to play on Tuesday at a track rental...I can't go into detals but it will all come out sometime in the future....

Chris...You going to Island any time soon? The track stuff is still on the car.... ...I REALLY want that 11 second time slip.....

I thought that might have been YOU!! You were a very busy boy fer sure.My friend Tim belongs to the the 68 dart that now has air conditioning Let us know when ,,,,,YOU KNOW

Attached picture 5475136-IMG_0869r2.jpg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

not this weekend, lebanon valley saturday but in 2 weeks island, ill get your car 60 footing, you need to listen to SSR.
call me buddy.

Attached picture 5475148-65PLYMOUTHHEMIBELVEDERE63PLYMOUTHMAXWEDGE002.jpg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I thought that might have been YOU!! You were a very busy boy fer sure.My friend Tim belongs to the the 68 dart that now has air conditioning Let us know when ,,,,,YOU KNOW

Yep...he "craped" the bed right in front of me...I was just about to do my burnout...And yes, I was a very busy boy...still a little wore out. I just wish I had more time to tune....it wasn't all there out of the box. to bad, 'cause I think there is another .5 sec in the suspension...

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not this weekend, lebanon valley saturday but in 2 weeks island, ill get your car 60 footing, you need to listen to SSR.
call me buddy.

SUPERSTOCKRACER can get it up for ya

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

call me buddy.

SUPERSTOCKRACER can get it up for ya

perv!

Attached picture 5475181-65plymouthbeaversprings7.12.09.jpg

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/11/09 01:52 AM

Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/13/09 02:40 PM

Quote:

CAL-TRAC SETTINGS

Set front shocks soft

I think I posted these on classracer.com as well as here a few times. These were the instructions that John gave me over the phone in early in 2003 when I got mine.

However everybody's car is going to be different in the end.

Bill
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/13/09 05:26 PM

I changed mine from upper to lower hole and didn't see any change.

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/13/09 05:33 PM

I could tell the difference...maybe because of the weight (4k)...the upper hole hits the tire harder and I got more rise out of the front...I think a different tire would make a difference for me...
Posted By: Mr71Bee

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/14/09 01:39 AM

Anyone run the caltracs on the street? How are they?

I was thinking of ditchin my superstock springs and going Caltrac, but I do 3000 mi per year and was worried about the ride

Dallas

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/14/09 12:31 PM

Quote:

Anyone run the caltracs on the street? How are they?

Stiff, because I just leave 'em set up for the track and drive it that way all the time.
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: Who here run caltracs? - 09/14/09 06:35 PM

Mine is the same way.Everyone seems to like the top hole. My truck likes the to hole-a lot.I run drag springs and the new calvert 90/10s up front. It's critical for me to get a good weight transfer going. I assume this is because of the inherent forward weight bias most trucks have.
I can also tell you guys from experience that changing ride height via shackles and hangers directly effects the angle of the bar and thus instant center
Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums