Moparts

Too fast for pinks?

Posted By: G_bob

Too fast for pinks? - 09/07/09 06:37 PM

A bit of a dilemna.
Last time out, after removing the exhaust and putting the extensions on (how it was dynoed) I discovered it likes to shift higher without the exhaust.
Moving the 1-2 shift point from 6500 to 7000 resulted in a 10.006. I dialed the shift point back to 6800 and went 10.11 (lifted, probably would've been a 10.03 or so based on the 1/8 et), 10.03 and 10.05 on the next three runs.
Air at fontana was junk.

I expect air to be at least a little better at Famoso, and am concerned I'll be dipping into the nines running it without the exhaust.

Will they boot me if I'm running hi 9.9's without license, diaper, net, chassis cert, pants, collar, etc?

Should I put the exhaust back on and just plan to run 10 teens, or maybe some hi 10.0's?
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/07/09 06:39 PM

Nope
They don't care. You sign your life away to run on the show.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/07/09 06:41 PM

I was on that 9.99/10 flat fence a few years ago, I just ran it all out and seen where I was at. If it went 10.04 or so I was fine, if it went 9.98 or so and they smacked me on my wrist I would short shift it the rest of the day. The best thing to do is have your license and all the proper safety stuff but I usually barely have enough spare money to even make it to the track.
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/07/09 07:45 PM

One guy in a late model Mustang got kicked because he was going high nines witout the proper certs and a competitor ratted him out... The have to comply with a set of safety standards to run at the tracks and I think it mirrors NHRA's

Put them mufflers on there and join our 10 second crew...
Posted By: G_bob

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/07/09 11:53 PM

Quote:

One guy in a late model Mustang got kicked because he was going high nines witout the proper certs and a competitor ratted him out... The have to comply with a set of safety standards to run at the tracks and I think it mirrors NHRA's

That was my concern. I'd love to get that 9 second slip, but don't want to risk being booted for lack of equipment.
I think they look at all four of the runs (two on friday, and then the two on saturday) and eliminate those with big discrepancies between the times. A 9, followed by three 10's (from short-shifting) seems like it would be a big red flag for a sand-bagger. And as they majorly emphasize the "all out" aspect, that would also be a sure way to get kicked out of the field.
Posted By: Lil Demon

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 01:39 AM

GBob - if friday is a TNT - those runs will not be looked at by the PAO crew. They will get your two Sat runs only.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

GBob - if friday is a TNT - those runs will not be looked at by the PAO crew. They will get your two Sat runs only.

That may not be so true.... I made only one 10 second run and it was on Friday.. Yet the floating was 10.98
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 04:31 AM

Glenn...my experience with Famoso (it's obviously my home track) is that if you exceed what you tech for...you will get one warning of "Slow down or you go home". But that is if Famoso is handling the safety tech.....

I don't know what pinks will be like. But...I've never seen anyone get kicked out of Famoso after making only one pass too fast. (And I've seen many a guy push the limits here).
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 04:57 AM

"Pinks" has a tech procedure, but the car will still likely be looked at by the track, so it depends on how strict the track is. Certain tracks are notoriously strict. At Atlanta for example, does not matter if it is NHRA, NMRA, ORSCA, PINKS, ADRL, whatever, the track guys look at the car, and it better be right, or you don't go down the track.

Monte
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 05:18 AM

run the 10 to 10 teens, be safe

Attached picture 5469412-pinks1.jpg
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 11:44 AM

Quote:

that was cause a guy snitched him out though... and they techd the y guy who snitched also......
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 12:18 PM

I ran a 9.96 at MIR and nobody had anything to say.
They didn't even tech the car. Basically the made sure I had four wheels and was good to go

Posted By: Islandcuda

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/08/09 01:18 PM

pinks tech at seattle was a aaa breeze to say the least, my biggest worry would of been a competiter ratting you out, people change when it comes to money. I don,t think the pinks people care one bit as long as it,s all out, tim
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Too fast for pinks? - 09/10/09 03:25 AM

Glenn,
I ran 53 9 second, and 2 8 second runs, before I finally broke down and got my license, and made everything legal.
Some Tracks I'd get talked to right away, others, never a word. You have to pick your spots, and IMO Pinks all out wouldn't be the best time to step it up!!

In fact, the Pinks All Out at Firebird a few years ago, was the reason I finally did get legal.
© 2024 Moparts Forums