Moparts

dana 60 bearing question

Posted By: mopar dave

dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 01:48 AM

i have a dana 60 from a 68 roadrunner narrowed in my barracuda and i need to replace the inner seal on the passenger side. how does the outer bearing get lubricated if the inner seal is keeping the gear lub away from it? should the bearing be packed with grease on reassembly?
Posted By: RussW

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 02:02 AM

Yep
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 02:07 AM

That depends if you still have roller bearings.Most axles get sealed bearings when they are narrowed.
Gus

Attached picture 5464743-READY1.JPG

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 02:09 AM

these bearings don't look like sealed bearings to me. roller bearing with a race.

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 02:13 AM

In that case then "yep" pack both bearings with good quality bearing grease and remember to set your bearing preload/endplay when complete.
Gus

Attached picture 5464760-READY2.JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 02:24 AM

Quote:

In that case then "yep" pack both bearings with good quality bearing grease and remember to set your bearing preload/endplay when complete.
Gus

I used black high temp moly wheel bearing grease, lots of fun

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 03:09 AM

how do you set the bearing preload? i thought you bolted the retaining plate back on and your done?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 05:48 AM

Quote:

how do you set the bearing preload? i thought you bolted the retaining plate back on and your done?

if your using the timken tapered roller axle bearings the axles have to touch the inner floating axle contact device, several types are used. One axle will have a bearing retaining plate with no adjuster on it, the other side, usualy the passenger side will have the adjuster plate on it. It has threaded insert with retaining lugs and the outer has threads inside for the adjuster to screw into or out of it. You tighten the adjuster until it bottoms out , check both axles for end play, it should be zero on both sides if the adjusted axle and the floater are in contact. Once you have zero end play back the adjuster out enough to get between .002 and .006 end play, measure it with a dial indicator I do it that way and then go drive it around a small amount, both right and left hand turns and then jack the car up again so both wheels are off the ground and check it again to make sure the bearings where and are still seated all the way in the housing, if the end plays is a bunch looser readjust the end play again

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 05:07 PM

Quote:

Unless you have a Ford truck style bearing that use shims to adjust the pre-load you should have a threaded adjuster on the RH axle retainer.If you don't have either setup then you really should be using the sealed bearings.Contact Cass (doctordiff) for more detailed information and parts you may need.
Gus

Attached picture 5465659-READY2.JPG

Re: dana 60 bearing question - 09/06/09 09:30 PM

i dont see any adjusters on the dana. bill of material #603109-3.
© 2024 Moparts Forums