Moparts

Necessary to run trans cooler?

Posted By: juicedcuda

Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 08:44 PM

I would like to just put some flare caps on my transmission where the lines come out and run to the built in trans cooler on my radiator. The car is a pretty low stall but will see the track quite often and alot of street driving. No trans brake either. What's your opinion on not running a trans cooler?
Posted By: estcsthemi18

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 08:54 PM

Don't block off the cooler lines, if anything run a loop between the cooler fittings. Oil from the cooler becomes lube oil for the planetaries. As for street, you should run a cooler of some type. Stay away from refigerator condensers and the like. Get a GOOD trans cooler from a local parts warehouse. Hope this helps.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 08:58 PM

a good remote trans cooler is like insurance for your trans. keep it cool & it'll last for years. get it hot & she's rebuild time in the near future.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 08:59 PM

I run a B and M super cooler on my Charger,,,street/strip car....i didnt trust the rad to keep it cool enough.

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 09:01 PM

heat being the number one killer of a tranny I would say yes. 83/4s are the number 2 killer
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/05/09 09:55 PM

Quote:

I would like to just put some flare caps on my transmission where the lines come out and run to the built in trans cooler on my radiator. The car is a pretty low stall but will see the track quite often and alot of street driving. No trans brake either. What's your opinion on not running a trans cooler?

Most stock size low stall converters don't make enough heat to warm the ATF up to 160, that is one of the reasons that the factory run the ATF into the radaitor, to help warm the ATF up Go ahead and hook the lines up into the radaitor I have a freind (thumperdart) who post on here that installed a trans temp gauge in his trans and found that the trans wasn't warming up to 110F with a small, 3 coil, 10 inch by 10 inch, remote trans cooler mounted in front of his radaitor. H moved it to behind and below the front bumper so air would only pass over the top of it and not thru it, that allowed the temps to get to 160 F during the spring, fall and winter, it will go up in the summer to 180F in slow traffic His car was running mid to high tens with a 8 inch converter at that time.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/06/09 02:18 AM

Quote:

Most stock size low stall converters don't make enough heat to warm the ATF up to 160, that is one of the reasons that the factory run the ATF into the radaitor, to help warm the ATF up Go ahead and hook the lines up into the radaitor I have a freind (thumperdart) who post on here that installed a trans temp gauge in his trans and found that the trans wasn't warming up to 110F with a small, 3 coil, 10 inch by 10 inch, remote trans cooler mounted in front of his radaitor. H moved it to behind and below the front bumper so air would only pass over the top of it and not thru it, that allowed the temps to get to 160 F during the spring, fall and winter, it will go up in the summer to 180F in slow traffic His car was running mid to high tens with a 8 inch converter at that time.

REALLY ????
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/06/09 06:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

REALLY ????

Absolutely, I installed a trans. temperature gauge in my 1998 1/2 CTD 3/4 ton 2 wheel drice pick up, it never got above 120 F around town or out on the hiway empty, pulling my white 24 ft. enclosed car trailer with car in it, it would get up to 160 to 200 F if I was pulling a long hill in the summer like Techapi or Baker grade at 60+ MPH. Hopefully Thumperdart will chime in also to verify my memory BTW, a bad (cheap) converter will run real hot most of the time, unlike a good one
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/06/09 05:15 PM

Thanks Cab.. thats good information for when I pull the engine/trans out next time..

THanks
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/07/09 03:19 PM

run the fluid to the cooler first and then thru the radiators cooler. then the fluid will b e at engine temp and wont bee too cool.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/07/09 03:37 PM

The guy who had my digger before me ran a 727. He had deep aluminum finned pan IIRc 2+ quarts. Anyways he simply looped the lines with a section of steel line. He had a trans gauge, and is also a Trans builder. He said in drag racing no need for a cooler. The temp never got about 210 deg even after burn outs, and long staging battles.
Personally I run a cooler.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Necessary to run trans cooler? - 09/07/09 06:48 PM

Quote:

He said in drag racing no need for a cooler. The temp never got about 210 deg even after burn outs, and long staging battles.

i bet that man never had a transbrake.
© 2024 Moparts Forums