Moparts

fiberglass on racecar questions

Posted By: weedlayer

fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/05/09 01:57 PM

so if steel fenders are removed, unbolted, spot welds drilled out, fiberglass just bolts on as the propaganda says?? no bonding or such? just bolt on?

fiberglass doors just bolt on using factory hinges, latches, bla, bla?? what about windows? I have seen where you can use factory regulators or others just use pins and lexan. can you get the lexan windows premade or do you make your own??

just some general questions while I decide what I may want to do.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/05/09 02:05 PM

whats your goal Ray? are you trying to lose a little weight? glass is a PITA to fit and mess with. bumpers, replacing the glass, dorrs would be your biggest gain. I made my windows and I think I still have the templates. it's all very time consuming

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/05/09 02:19 PM

I am repainting. Won't be done before I return to Fl, but will probably have everything except the doors and fenders done. The fenders were shot 20 years ago at the last paint, but were patched and came out ok. They are worse now, but can be salvaged for what I want. Just think while I am redoing it that it might be a good time for some new fenders and doors. I am not spending $500 each for steel fenders and then need to have someone install them.

and ya, it could stand to lose some weight while I'm at it. typical front end heavy Challenger.

am NOT looking for time consuming.

#1 goal is to just make it presentable again

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/06/09 01:39 PM

hey Quicky, I guess you're the only one to ever install fiberglass on a racecar.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/06/09 01:59 PM

Quote:

hey Quicky, I guess you're the only one to ever install fiberglass on a racecar.

I guess so
Posted By: deaks

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/06/09 02:33 PM

I thought the bumpers were a piece of cake, i took half the brackets off and hole sawed the others to lose some weight, the hood is fairly straight forward if you use pins, rather than dzus fasteners, trunk I would use either, doors i dont know.
Mick
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: fiberglass on racecar questions - 09/06/09 02:44 PM

As far as Lexan, depending on your car you might be able to find a kit but they are limited for the Mopar crowd.

I bought a sheet and did my own. It's real easy to do once you know what not to do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums