Moparts

Air Bleed Tuning

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Air Bleed Tuning - 09/02/09 01:28 PM

Is it possible to accurately tune air bleeds without a wide band O2?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/02/09 01:43 PM

Quote:

When you say accurately I would say no... but you could
get it so it runs fine.... with alot of playing
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/02/09 01:49 PM

Quote:

Do it all the time If you have to change more than a few steps up or down then your primary jetting is off.We get the carb tuned as close as possible then fine tune at the air bleeds. Assuming you mean tuning for max power and efficiency and not specific a/f ratio.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/02/09 03:30 PM

Quote:

Thats the way it had to be done before wide bans where available Jet it until you find the best jetting and then tune the bleeds up and down for the best results

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats the way it had to be done before wide bans where available Jet it until you find the best jetting and then tune the bleeds up and down for the best results

Carb has so many air bleeds that I don't know what they are all for. I think I am getting close on jetting so I was thinking about playing with air bleeds to get a little more. It is a quickfuel dominator with screw in bleeds. How many sizes does it take up or down to see a change?
Posted By: sshemi

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 10:26 AM

I wouldnt do it.
If you tune it at the track the car can go faster but still have a lean spot somewhere in the fuel curve.
Aldough if you just change them by a very a small amount 0.003" i guess it would be safe.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 02:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Carb has so many air bleeds that I don't know what they are all for. I think I am getting close on jetting so I was thinking about playing with air bleeds to get a little more. It is a quickfuel dominator with screw in bleeds. How many sizes does it take up or down to see a change?

I have no idea what your carb will take on the size change to make a noticeable effect, I would start with the idle bleeds and once your happy with that go to the high speed bleeds unless it is a three circuit, if it is a three circuit do the intermeddiate next and then the high speeds. I would call the carb. company and use there suggestiion for your carb. on your car Sometimes the carb is dead on out of the box and sometimes they need tuning

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have no idea what your carb will take on the size change to make a noticeable effect, I would start with the idle bleeds and once your happy with that go to the high speed bleeds unless it is a three circuit, if it is a three circuit do the intermeddiate next and then the high speeds. I would call the carb. company and use there suggestiion for your carb. on your car Sometimes the carb is dead on out of the box and sometimes they need tuning

I expect the carb to be off since I got it second hand from dad. It was originally built for his 540 and now it's on my 417 with only main jet changes so far. I might just call them with recommendations.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 04:30 PM

Brian, Quick Fuel has great customer service .
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Air Bleed Tuning - 09/03/09 04:51 PM

In my opinion, the only accurate way to fine tune the high speed air bleeds, is on the dyno, anything else is a guess. You really need to be able to see a wideband and the BSFC numbers to do it right. As someone else said, you could have a pretty good hole in the fuel curve and never know it.

Monte
© 2024 Moparts Forums