Here's my early A-Body..63 Dart..Custom built 2 1/4" headers

Attached picture 5452810-003.JPG
Posted By: BILLYJAY

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 08/31/09 06:54 PM

here's another one withou the alum..

Attached picture 5452811-003.JPG
Posted By: 70HemiGTX

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 08/31/09 07:00 PM

here are mine. Hookers. I thought I had better pictures, but I don't.

Attached picture 5452814-Dart7-9-08001.jpg
Posted By: cudaben1968

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 08/31/09 07:40 PM

so where would i go to get a template for the cutting of the fender wells? and where the heck is ur brake booster?
Posted By: 1974 474 Duster

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 08/31/09 08:05 PM

Abody low deck w/Stage VI heads

Attached picture 5452886-MVC-007Sg.JPG
Posted By: BILLYJAY

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 08/31/09 09:35 PM

there is no template...it is trial and error.. the tubes need to be a specific lenght as well as routed properly.. this is why i had a chassis builder or someone who is familar with the math as well as the construction of headers.. it's not just putting some tubes together..what you build at home if done wrong could hurt your motor's performance greatly...lots of guys build them, but if you are not aware of what you need to be doing then you are going to do what i mentioned above..waste lots of time and lots of money buying header kits..they can be 300-500 per kit and if you make more than just a few mistakes then you are going to start buying induvial pcs or another complete kit trying to build something you have no concept of.. they is a science to tube lenght as well as collector size and then trying to get them all to fall out together with the correct lenght... GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached picture 5453046-004.JPG
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 12:30 AM

Hooker 2" Supercomps

Attached picture 5453417-hooker1.jpg
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 12:30 AM

Attached picture 5453419-hooker2.jpg
Posted By: cudaben1968

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 04:19 AM

im looking at a set of old pro parts 2" and im thinking i will most def. get them. but here is a question

68 b cuda, motor plate (stock location engine) 440 with victors. will i run into more clearance problems since the headers will be .250 in higher?? (raised ex. ports)
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 05:15 AM

I run the pro-parts on a Duster with a 400 low deck with the -1 heads. I didn't have any problems, save for the rear drivers side tube, but that because I'm running a mid-plate. Other than that they fit like a glove...
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 06:45 AM

after many years they tend to crack on the center 2 tubes ...but its worth it--just re-weld them.

i LOVE fenderwells - makes a LOT of stuff WAY easier to work on compared to regular headers !

Posted By: rebel

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 07:23 AM

couldn't find fenderwells that fitted so i made my own.

Attached picture 5454229-11-08-09_21121.jpg
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/01/09 06:53 PM

Quote:

im looking at a set of old pro parts 2" and im thinking i will most def. get them.

Problem with the Proparts is their different length of tubes, some are as long as 48" and others are as short as 34".
Yes...
They fit but will take the HP down by 50...

Just my $0.015..
Posted By: dare_dude

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/02/09 12:57 AM

This is the first time i heard this???????? About losing HP!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 09/02/09 01:07 AM

Posted By: Chris2581

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/02/09 02:10 AM

There MIGHT be 10-15 Hp difference between the Hookers and the Pro Parts,but not 50.

We have the Pro Parts on our car and they work very well.

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/05/09 06:55 PM

We had custom headers built and the dyno difference was almost 50HP between the ProParts and custom..
The install is in a 71 Duster, built 440, Tunnel ram, runs high nines..
As mentioned previously check out the major tube length differences of the ProParts....

Just my $0.015..
Posted By: moeflo

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/05/09 07:14 PM

Quote:

We had custom headers built and the dyno difference was almost 50HP between the ProParts and custom..
As mentioned previously check out the major tube length differences of the ProParts....

Just my $0.015..

Same collector design and dimensions? Do the flanges mate up to the ports the same?
What I'm asking is, are the only difference between the two sets primary length?

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/10/09 03:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.015..

Same collector design and dimensions? Do the flanges mate up to the ports the same?
What I'm asking is, are the only difference between the two sets primary length?

Not complicated..
Flanges, ports, diameter and collector are virtually the same.. Basic difference was that all tubes were of equal length(50").
As mentioned previously check out the mismatched length of the Pro-Parts tubes, now go check out the Hookers or others..

On a full race built 440 the mismatched header tube lengths will cost alot of hp..

Just my $0.015...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/10/09 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.015..

Not complicated..
Flanges, ports, diameter and collector are virtually the same.. Basic difference was that all tubes were of equal length(50").
As mentioned previously check out the mismatched length of the Pro-Parts tubes, now go check out the Hookers or others..

On a full race built 440 the mismatched header tube lengths will cost alot of hp..

Just my $0.015...

50 inches is a long primary pipe, especially on a fully built 440
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/10/09 03:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just my $0.015..

Not complicated..

Just my $0.015...

Here's my $.020...it all depends on the motor and header I guess. A few years ago we did a header test on a PROVEN dyno. A mild 440, 12:1-ish, small (.650 x 270) solid roller, iron heads, M1/Dominator...very basic bracket moder. The best header was a custom (standard under chassis design for B/E bodies) step header...to the tune of 40-something peak HP and 12 ft/lbs!! BUT the OLD 2" Pro Parts headers were 17 peak HP and 8 -or so ft/lbs better than 2" Hooker fenderwells. the only diff in pipes was the PP heads had a slightly longer collector than the hookers. This was without touching the moder...who knows maybe there was a tune up each header liked differently.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: A body fenderwell headers - 09/10/09 03:29 PM

Early A-body RB + Indy 2" x 32" self made

Late A-body RB + Indy 2x 36" self made

© 2024 Moparts Forums