Moparts

Ate the top of a lifter

Posted By: Michael

Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 03:03 AM

I have solid lifters in my engine.I started getting a lot of valve lash on number 8 intake valve. I took it apart and found that the pushrod wore a hole in the solid lifter cup. The pushrod tip is not worn at all. What caused the pushrod tip to wear through the lifter cup? The faces of the lifters are perfect.The engine has less than 4,000 miles. I will try to post pictures later.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 03:16 AM

The lifter is faulty, not the first set of Mopar size .904 solid lifters to do that You should take the motor apart and see what other colateral damges there are, cylinder walls, piston skirts, oil pump, camshaft and so on
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 04:55 AM

i had the lifter cup start eating itself on the inside of the lifter body. like you, nothing wrong with the lifter body at all, just the cup that sits in it

one of the reason i moved onto lifters with wheels
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 01:07 PM

Sometimes you can just replace the lifter pushrod seat and keep the lifter on the lobe it came from.

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

Sometimes you can just replace the lifter pushrod seat and keep the lifter on the lobe it came from.

I would like to do that to all of them. Who does that?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 01:22 PM

You will have to find somebody that has a set of lifters with good seats (but bad for someother reason) and swap them yourself. There should be a clip holding it in the lifter.

Re: Ate the top of a lifter - 08/30/09 01:43 PM

Thank you very much Jim. It looks like the seats are pressed into the bore. There is no snap ring or retainer ring in there.
© 2024 Moparts Forums