Moparts

Wheel Screws Question

Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 08:17 PM

Just checking... :shruggy

I just got some new tires and wheels. 15"x 14" wheel with a 14x32 tire M/T 3074S.

I have been seeing alot more cars WITHOUT wheel screws.
Just wondering if it is still good to use screws any more or has tire tech gotten so much better that it is not needed?

I used to run about 16 screws on each side of the wheel, using a drill press to make sure they were spaced correctly.
I just got my new wheels and don't want to drill holes in them if it isn't necessary..

But I'm fairly sure I will have to..

I'll be using the car for S/C-S/G-S/ST racing.

What's everyone's take on this??

I've looked at some of the SS/AH cars and some DO NOT have screws..

Chris..

Attached picture 5449026-CenterlineWheel.jpg
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 08:48 PM

do a search, there was just a very long thread on this subject

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 09:03 PM

thanks Tony..

Found it..

Chris..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 09:14 PM

going 9.20 without screws, id hate to see those beauties drilled if dont have to.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 11:28 PM

I would say depends a lot on if you are running tubes or not I would not run tubes without them being screwed if you do and the tire slips it will rip the valve stem out of the tube.

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 11:43 PM

Quote:

I would say depends a lot on if you are running tubes or not I would not run tubes without them being screwed if you do and the tire slips it will rip the valve stem out of the tube.

dont run a rim screwless with tubes.
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 11:43 PM

I got some new slicks and was wondering the same thing. Those are pretty cool rims, Chris! Who makes 'em? I'm always looking for different wheels, my car will just have some boring Pro Stars . I'm kinda stuck with Weld, because of the BS...and i need a street/strip wheel.

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 11:49 PM

Quote:

I got some new slicks and was wondering the same thing. Those are pretty cool rims, Chris! Who makes 'em? I'm always looking for different wheels, my car will just have some boring Pro Stars . I'm kinda stuck with Weld, because of the BS...and i need a street/strip wheel.

boring pro stars!!

Attached picture 5449393-HEMIREUNION69HEMIRR65DODGECORONET666.JPG
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/29/09 11:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

boring pro stars!!

rut roh...i mean "the very popular" Pro Stars... and attractive!
Posted By: 408Dust

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 12:09 AM

Depends on the tire, I had Goodyears&Hoosiers that never moved but the Mickey's did. Try it without screws but be prepared to install them if they do.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 12:26 AM

To me it truly would be a couple of factors, if you
run tubes... its a must... and second be be the tire
pressure... if you run low tire pressure its not much
holding the tire to the wheel and if you get sideways
its easy to pop the bead free
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 12:36 AM

Are you going to run bias ply or radails? I haven't ran rim screws in any of my cars in over twenty years, all of my rear tires are mounted tubeless. I do put a small dab of white shoe polish on the edge of the rim and tire bead and watch it, usually moves about a inch and stops

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 11:45 AM

The Wheels are Centerline Qualifier wheels.

Back when I was a youngster I worked there and still am friends with the VP there. He took good care of me.

I will be running tubeless. Have done it this way for years now.
I have just seen so many cars WITHOUT screws lately, that I was afraid I was missing something.

These are 14x32 stiff sidewall for Super Class racing.

Gecker always had me put 16 screws per side-32 per wheel.
I only put 12 on my last set.

But what He has taught me about the number of screws in the wheel.... When the tire wrinkles, it will put as many wrinkles as there are screws... Therefore, the more screws, the more wrinkles---but they are smaller...And fewer screws mean less wrinkles and larger..

In this picture I'm posting you can see what I mean. The wrap of the tire starts at the screw, and travels outward.
So.. If more screws are used and the wrap up is tighter, will the tire be stiffer?

These are some of the questions I have floating around..

Chris..

Attached picture 5450078-Barracuda20070001(Large).JPG
Posted By: TS3303

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

When the tire wrinkles, it will put as many wrinkles as there are screws... Therefore, the more screws, the more wrinkles---but they are smaller...
So.. If more screws are used and the wrap up is tighter, will the tire be stiffer?

We did testing a few years back and on a big tire car with lots of torque that is correct as the smaller wrinkles help maintain the tire shape and contact patch. I don't think you will see that as much on smaller tire, higher pressure, lower powered cars.
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/30/09 05:03 PM

You need to tighten the screw in the drivers seat!

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/31/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

You need to tighten the screw in the drivers seat!

But what if that was YOU...

BTW Brian took my front clip last night to fix it.

Chris..
Posted By: johnnyrotten

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/31/09 03:55 AM

I haven't heard anything about driving your ride in a while. I thought you and Bildo were like usual!!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Wheel Screws Question - 08/31/09 06:14 AM

Why not just turn loose of some cash and go the beadlock route...Sure looks Cool too
© 2024 Moparts Forums