Moparts

polyethylene fuel cell question

Posted By: Tom Fox

polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/29/09 06:52 PM

hello,I have a polyethylene fuel cell mounted in the trunk of my car. it is ventilated correctly to the outside and none of the fuel lines have leaks, but I get a strong gas odor in the trunk and passenger compartment. does anyone know if this is common with the poly cells? does poly permiate fumes ? have to replace with aluminum cell to fix problem? Thanks, Tom.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/29/09 07:34 PM

Tom .. the problem is .. is these poly tanks are NOT fuel-cells ...as defined by NHRA and NASCAR.

All they are is a simple fuel tank.

The fumes that you have ...would not be present with a proper "fuel cell" that is vented-to-the-outside correctly.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/29/09 09:33 PM

Quote:

hello,I have a polyethylene fuel cell mounted in the trunk of my car. it is ventilated correctly to the outside and none of the fuel lines have leaks, but I get a strong gas odor in the trunk and passenger compartment. does anyone know if this is common with the poly cells? does poly permiate fumes ? have to replace with aluminum cell to fix problem? Thanks, Tom.

Yes poly can and will permeate fuel vapors... unless
it has a permeation barrier molded into it(which MOST
of these cheaper cells dont)... but I must say that
I dont smell any vapors from mine.... you might want
to check the filler cap ring to make sure that is
sealed... also the cap. Where does your vent dump at
Posted By: chryco

Re: polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/30/09 02:21 AM

I found the seal ring lose on mine snugged everything up and it was fine.

Attached picture 5449658-IMG_2521.jpg
Posted By: ToddP

Re: polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/30/09 02:21 AM

Check the gasket on the cap. My RCI cap gaskets go bad every 6 months or so. I bought 10 gaskets from jegs.
Posted By: MNobody

Re: polyethylene fuel cell question - 08/30/09 03:36 AM

Mine does the same thing when the ambient temp get's warmer. I have mine vented through the trunk floor and vapors rise up i guess. Never noticed any bad seal's
© 2024 Moparts Forums