Moparts

Short Fills for the StReet

Posted By: moparniac

Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 06:06 PM

I know some of you guys fill up to the freeze plugs... Is there any over heating issues going with a fill on the street or any other issues. thx
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 07:04 PM

i've never done it, but from what i've gathered from my pals here on moparts, oil temperature will be the issue. sounds like if you run a good engine oil cooler it should be ok?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 07:21 PM

if your starting from scratch why not get a race block and be done with it? it will save you money in the long run.
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 08:21 PM

Quote:

if your starting from scratch why not get a race block and be done with it? it will save you money in the long run.

Great Advise
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 08:24 PM

No need in trying to make real power with a stock block , figure out how much hp you are really after and ask how well it will hold up

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 08:57 PM

like i said, from what i've gathered from my pals here on moparts, it's better to go with an aftermarket block.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 09:18 PM

i have a 1970 360 block filled to the top of the soft plugs. 408 stroker set up street/strip and engine runs 180* cruising and 200* in town with a 160* stat in 80* weather. no oil cooler or oil temp gauge, but no issues yet. second season on this set up. i use brad penn oil.

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 09:34 PM

Quote:

like i said, from what i've gathered from my pals here on moparts, it's better to go with an aftermarket block.

OKAY
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/28/09 10:03 PM

Problem is that not everyone has the cash up front to lay down on a new block.. Cast is 2500 and up and the alum. are 4100 and up.. I've run a short fill on the street for a couple of years.. never had a problem with it. If you got a block why not use it and run the car, instead of waiting another 5 years of saving money to drive it.. I say live in the now. Save money and buy a block at a later date...
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/29/09 02:41 AM

I havea 71 casting '230 block low deck with a fill to the top of the freeze plugs, Gauge reads 175-180 (stays in the middle) and it's fine while cruising.

The issue isn't the coolant it's the Oil, once it gets hot in traffic it wants to stay hot and it takes an awful lot of part throttle cruising to bring the oil temp back down which (if you think about it) does put a strain on the cooling system. she starts getting hot on you in traffic it's really a China Syndrome scenario, a cooler is cheap insurance cause you never know when you might be in a situation where you can't get to an open freeway.
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/30/09 04:34 PM

Quote:

Problem is that not everyone has the cash up front to lay down on a new block.. Cast is 2500 and up and the alum. are 4100 and up.. I've run a short fill on the street for a couple of years.. never had a problem with it. If you got a block why not use it and run the car, instead of waiting another 5 years of saving money to drive it.. I say live in the now. Save money and buy a block at a later date...

Wedgie has the cash he just does a LOT of research

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/30/09 04:54 PM

I bought a race block.... tired of threads on which block to buy
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/30/09 05:02 PM

Good move Wedgie, a stock block was my biggest mistake on my last build, Had I found this site sooner I would have saved a lot of time
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/30/09 05:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wedgie has the cash he just does a LOT of research

we all do
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/30/09 09:21 PM

Quote:

I bought a race block.... tired of threads on which block to buy

that will be on of the best decision you can make on a high output Mopar No sense in risking your life over a few dollars instead waiting a little longer to acrue the cash for the better block

Re: Short Fills for the StReet - 08/31/09 05:26 PM

Quote:

I havea 71 casting '230 block low deck with a fill to the top of the freeze plugs, Gauge reads 175-180 (stays in the middle) and it's fine while cruising.

The issue isn't the coolant it's the Oil, once it gets hot in traffic it wants to stay hot and it takes an awful lot of part throttle cruising to bring the oil temp back down which (if you think about it) does put a strain on the cooling system. she starts getting hot on you in traffic it's really a China Syndrome scenario, a cooler is cheap insurance cause you never know when you might be in a situation where you can't get to an open freeway.

like i said, from what i've gathered from my pals here on moparts, oil temperature will be the issue. maybe a good engine oil cooler is in order?
© 2024 Moparts Forums