Moparts

tightening crank bolt?

Posted By: juicedcuda

tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 05:54 PM

The motor is already in the car, driveshaft, etc. What is the best way to torque the crank bolt?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 05:58 PM

Mancini Racing makes an inexpensive tool that bolts to the damper and provides a place to install a 1/2 breaker bar. Then you can hold the damper with a long breaker bar and torque the bolt with a torque wrench.

Look in their tool section at www.manciniracing.com
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 06:05 PM

If you have a good air compressor, and a strong 1/2 impact, just add some red LockTight and hammer away...I have been doing this for years, and years with not a single problem, or loose bolt.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 07:49 PM

Quote:

If you have a good air compressor, and a strong 1/2 impact, just add some red LockTight and hammer away...I have been doing this for years, and years with not a single problem, or loose bolt.

AMEN _ Not going to knock that method as it is the same one I have used for many a year gone by and I've never had a problem with it either.
Posted By: blownzoom440

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 11:56 PM

use a 1/2" wratchet and hit it with a BFhammer from under the car,or on top if you dont have all the pumps,belts in the way.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/26/09 11:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

AMEN _ Not going to knock that method as it is the same one I have used for many a year gone by and I've never had a problem with it either.

x2. Impacts lend themselves to this VERY well. I use a good 1/2" too, but I use Loctite blue, and never had a problem either.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: tightening crank bolt? - 08/27/09 05:00 AM

remove one of the spark plugs(whichever one is the best in your car to get to) and put air pressure in it to hold the piston down and use a torque wrench to torque the bolt to 150+ Lbs if it is a stick shift car put it in reverse and have someone hold the foot brake down and go for it
© 2024 Moparts Forums