Moparts

blowing anti freeze while cruising

Posted By: mopar dave

blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 01:25 PM

what would cause my indy headed 408 to spit anti freeze all over the motor when freeway cruising at 3000-3500 constant rpm? it fills the catch can and then spits the rest all over. i keep the water level in the radiator about 2" below the filler neck. no cooling problems either.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 01:28 PM

Spinning the stock pump to hard?

A friend of mine has had this problem with his mustang. He is running a tiny water pump pulley and some crank pulley that looks like a spare tire. It had quit pushin water because it got low enough to give it room in the radiator. he tried some new shift points the other day and it filled the overflow up again.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 01:30 PM

pressure in the radiator, blown head gasket etc
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 01:40 PM

What radiator size and what kind of pump and fan, do
you use a shroud. Have you pressure tested the system

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 02:32 PM

the pulleys are march serpentine standard size. the pump is a edelbrock. the radiator is an aluminum howe i believe its 3x26x18. i have not had it pressure tested. i figured the temps are good 180-200, so would'nt that rule out the head gaskets? running a 16# cap and i have a 22# i can try. no shroud, electric fan.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 02:45 PM

Quote:

the pulleys are march serpentine standard size. the pump is a edelbrock. the radiator is an aluminum howe i believe its 3x26x18. i have not had it pressure tested. i figured the temps are good 180-200, so would'nt that rule out the head gaskets? running a 16# cap and i have a 22# i can try. no shroud, electric fan.

From what you are saying I would believe its a cap
issue... your not running hot but the cap is seeing
too much pressure or its just blowing off early
EDIT
Also you do know there are 2 style caps 1 for a recovery
system and 1 for a over flow.... make sure which you
have.... hold the cap in the up right position and
if the metal disc at the bottom is danging down that
is for a recovery system the other one the disc wont
dangle down... also make sure the lower seat in the
filler neck isnt dented

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 02:55 PM

the 22# cap is a roundy round cap. i'll check it out. thanks
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 02:59 PM

Do you run a t-stat? If so, I`d gut it leaving only the outer ring and go from there. I run a 16 lb cap and never fill the overflow but as others have said, maybe it`s a mechanical issue.....hope not.

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 03:01 PM

yes, i use a 160 high flow stat.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/23/09 03:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

From what you are saying I would believe its a cap
issue... your not running hot but the cap is seeing
too much pressure or its just blowing off early
EDIT
Also you do know there are 2 style caps 1 for a recovery
system and 1 for a over flow.... make sure which you
have.... hold the cap in the up right position and
if the metal disc at the bottom is danging down that
is for a recovery system the other one the disc wont
dangle down... also make sure the lower seat in the
filler neck isnt dented

I didn't know that there were two different type's of caps, wonder which one I have.

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/28/09 09:07 PM

undate, drained anti-freeze and flushed real good. added pure water, 22# cap and replaced a clamp on the lower hose. no more problems. went to the track this week and when i got back home i checked the overflow tank and it was still empty.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/29/09 03:09 AM

The way any overflow recovery system that I used worked this way. You fill the radiator to the top and add coolant to the reservoir. Put on the correct cap with the rubber seal on the bottom. Then when the car heats up the overflow cap opens and the coolant goes into the reservoir. When the car cools down the coolant is sucked back into the radiator. Are you using a different type setup? Is a catch can set up different. Please fill me in.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/29/09 04:59 AM

a true overflow bottle doesnt allow coolant to go back in when it cools.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/29/09 06:24 AM

Quote:

a true overflow bottle doesnt allow coolant to go back in when it cools.

All the ones that have the overflow line feeding into the bottom do If it is not submerged into the coolant it won't
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 08/29/09 09:58 AM

Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: blowing anti freeze while cruising - 08/29/09 12:10 PM

160 too cool (IMO) A stat will not cause an engien to heat.
A coolant recovery system the overflow tube must reach to the bottom of the overflow tank or the coolant cannot be syphoned back into the radiator on cooldown. The over flow recovery tank must also be vented or the coolant cannot even enter the tank.
There are over flow tanks that are just that - over flow tanks- that are not designed to return the coolant to the system.
© 2024 Moparts Forums