Moparts

New CSR Water Pump , no flow!

Posted By: Lil Wedge

New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:13 AM

I picked up a new small block CSR water pump, new still in box, but I bought it from a friend, who bought it from a friend, so no warranty , and installed it and went through quite a bit of trouble relocating alternator, and after all this work it wont pump, motor runs, won't pump. Rechecked wiring, even hooked it up backwards, won't pump either way. Really sucks ?
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:15 AM

Air bubble ?
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:17 AM

When I installed the electric pump on the cuda the pump would over power the thermostat spring and keep it closed. I had to remove the guts out of the thermostat and all was well....pumped like crazy then...Phill

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:34 AM

No thermostat , just a restrictor, with the stock pump and Moroso belt drive, never had a problem, flow was great,cross flow aluminum radiator and you could see lots of movement. Acts like this one has an impeller problem. I got disgusted and walked away, I guess I will tear it apart tomorrow and find out.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:39 AM

It's probably air locked.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:39 AM

got one for my big block. it flowed all right, flowed right in to the floor.bought a meziere and sent csr back, stupid thing
Posted By: markz528

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:40 AM

I had to pressurize my Meziere with a little air in the radiator to get it to start flowing. Then I had to get all the air out of the system,
Posted By: toddd

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:45 AM

I had the same problem....it's cavitating in the timing cover.

You'll have to take the plate off that covers the timing cover and get a piece welded in, and prevents the water to circulate in the cover, that forces the water through the heads.

I think the piece that got welded i was about 1/8" x 1".

Check it and see, that was the reply I got to the very same question.

good luck
Posted By: lowell66dart

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 02:48 AM

Try putting the cap on the radiator and then squeezing the radiator hoses to get the air pocket moving. If that doesn't work your going to have to loosen the allen head bolts closest to the pump motor with the pump running. Your trying to get air out. Sometimes I have to even take a bolt out of either side and roll the pump a little to get the air out.

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 03:02 AM

The other problem with this,I am using a motor plate, While it may not matter, it is another 1/4" or so,But I used the stock water pump this way and had no problem, in fact wish I had never seen this new one,lol Stock one worked fine,but the motor went bad, new Moroso kit was $79.00, this was $100.00. Actually a 69 Mustang Blower motor looks the same as Moroso water pump motor and NAPA has for $23.00.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 03:05 AM

If you look close in this picture to the right of the pump mototr you will see where i drilled a bleed hole. everytime i fill it fromm scratch it needs to be bled after that its fine.

Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/19/09 04:21 AM

Those things are terrible about air locks. I cured mine with the attached mod. I can release all the air and it has never failed.

Attached picture 5426633-CSR001.JPG

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/20/09 01:45 AM

Want to thank everyone, Burped the air and it works just fine!Only thing I noticed is I used to start it let it build to about 130 degrees and turn on the water pump and temp gauge would drop back down to nothing and gradually build back up,and go all the way up to about 190, this one didn't do that,just stayed at 130 and then built up to 150-160 and ran it quite a while. Would have had to shut it off with old pump. Thanks again, I was pretty disgusted, Just spent a month,pulling trans about 5 times to fix a leak which turned out to be converter snout (which was fairly new)and I kept going through the pump,and I pulled the engine for a hairline crack in the Milodon oil pan and replaced. Just a long 5 weeks or so....

Attached picture 5428467-DARTINDY.jpg
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/20/09 02:02 AM

Kool, glad you got it figured out..
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/20/09 02:11 AM

Damn it! I was hoping I could find the motor to
my old Moroso belt driven one to trade you.

Glad you got it going.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/20/09 02:33 AM

Quote:

Want to thank everyone, Burped the air and it works just fine!Only thing I noticed is I used to start it let it build to about 130 degrees and turn on the water pump and temp gauge would drop back down to nothing and gradually build back up,and go all the way up to about 190, this one didn't do that,just stayed at 130 and then built up to 150-160 and ran it quite a while. Would have had to shut it off with old pump. Thanks again, I was pretty disgusted, Just spent a month,pulling trans about 5 times to fix a leak which turned out to be converter snout (which was fairly new)and I kept going through the pump,and I pulled the engine for a hairline crack in the Milodon oil pan and replaced. Just a long 5 weeks or so....

I have the same problem every year after I drain
the anti freeze... it gets a air pocket, I'll fill
it then warm the engine up(pump turned off) and when
it gets warm I shut down the engine then turn the
pump on and off a few times then it'll finally pump,
then I can top off the cooling and all is well.
I also put a clear plastic tube in the upper radiator
hose just to make sure its pumping. I only have the
problem if the cooling system has been drained
Posted By: lowell66dart

Re: New CSR Water Pump , no flow! - 08/20/09 03:10 AM

Another thing that I always do is start the pump before I crank the engine. That way if you have any seepage on the head gaskets when cold you have less of a chance of putting air into the system.
© 2024 Moparts Forums