Moparts

Cryogenic treatment

Posted By: 64physhy

Cryogenic treatment - 08/17/09 09:33 PM

I've been doing a little research on cryogenic treatment of metals. From what I've found, it increases the strength and decreases wear. BUT, I also found that it doesn't do any good on Cast Iron. The whole reason I was looking into it is because I was thinking of having my cast Eagle crank treated. Hughes offers cryogenic treatment of parts, but if it doesn't do any good on cast, then why offer it? Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Thank you. Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cryogenic treatment - 08/17/09 10:55 PM

Give this guy a shout he does a LOT of cryo.treatments and loves to talk,he's a great engine builder too...www.hekimian racing.com
Posted By: ProStDodge

Re: Cryogenic treatment - 08/18/09 01:08 AM

I never tried the Cryo treatment, but one of the guys at Coles County Dragway was sponsored by "300 below" which was a cryo system.

I did a Metal-Lax vibration stress relieve on everything my 512 NOS street motor. Can't say if it helped, but I never hurt the motor even after being in 3 different cars. I would do it again if I still had access to the system.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Cryogenic treatment - 08/18/09 02:33 AM

Not sure if it really increases strenght as much as ductility and hardness, both of which are very important, and it is effective on CI, I think biggest improvements are on regular steels, then CI, then CM, then SS, then TI ,and lastly Alum, or something like that order. Other then cost, why not for peace of mind. I Do it. I used 300 Below, shipping cost is the biggest negative.
Posted By: 64physhy

Re: Cryogenic treatment - 08/18/09 03:26 AM

There's a place not too far from here that does it. I think they charge either $120 or $160 for a crank, which is a lot lower than most places, but if it doesn't do any good on cast, then I could use that money else where.
Posted By: 540dust

Re: Cryogenic treatment - 08/18/09 04:13 AM

Comes standard on Bryant cranks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums