Moparts

Burnout - slippin to the left

Posted By: Jeepmon

Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:07 PM

This last weekend at Pacific, I couldnt get the Duster to do a straight line burnout.. The car started slippin to the left side and I could either abort the burnout or do a 180...

As a result, the tires never got hot and I attribute that to the spinning at the line problem... So is there is a list of things I should look at to prevent this from happening in the future?

For the record, 73 Duster street/strip, 727, 8 3/4 sure grip. 275-60 MT drag radials, leaf springs with Cal-tracks set at the lower hole..
Posted By: Thread Ender1

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:25 PM

Make sure tire pressure is even? also make sure both tires are completly wet.

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:27 PM

Both tires were at 17 psi in the staging lanes and the waterbox looked equally wet on both sides.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:30 PM

More RPM....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:31 PM

add a little preload to the left side or take some out on the right side.

Attached picture 5423368-65dodgeatetown.jpg
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:31 PM

Posi unit could be on the fritz, I had some burnout issues as well this weekend.

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:40 PM

Quote:

More RPM....

Quote:

Let me ask you this.. would moving to the top hole on the Cal-tracks help to prevent spinning at the line?

Quote:

Posi unit could be on the fritz, I had some burnout issues as well this weekend.

two things.. First, I'm not ruling anything out and I too thought about one tire slipping more than the other.. but the unit is fairly new... so maybe, but probably not..

Next, after the 1st run on Saturday, I watch the other cars in the box, it seemed like about 1 in every 12 cars slipped to the left also.. Is there something wrong with "YOUR" track?? lol
Posted By: ChrisJohnston669

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:43 PM

I've seen A LOT OF CARS go sideways in the box! Why didn't you just pull in crooked to compensate?? haha!
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:48 PM

We have a track here that is the same way. You have to really get up on the tires quick to keep it from going sideways. Try staggering yourself to the left or right a bit in the waterbox this usually helps if the problem is being caused by ruts in the waterbox from all of the burnouts.

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 09:53 PM

I've made over 100 passes this season alone at said track... my car goes straight 95% of the time in the box.

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 10:00 PM

Quote:

at said track...

LOL.. that was a clever way to side step the pot stirrin... LOL

Seriously.. it was really good seeing you and your brother again... You guys planning on MATs 2010?

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 10:04 PM

Hopefully with the cars this time. All depends on if and where I can find a job.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

More RPM....

Quote:

Let me ask you this.. would moving to the top hole on the Cal-tracks help to prevent spinning at the line?

Quote:

two things.. First, I'm not ruling anything out and I too thought about one tire slipping more than the other.. but the unit is fairly new... so maybe, but probably not..

Next, after the 1st run on Saturday, I watch the other cars in the box, it seemed like about 1 in every 12 cars slipped to the left also.. Is there something wrong with "YOUR" track?? lol

if your car is 11.00 or slower, caltracs should be in the top hole but thats not your problem with going sideways.
do this get someone same weight as you, get him to sit in the car and take out all preload and have a little airgap on drivers side and have bar just barely touching on passenger side. set your shocks on #5.
bet your sideways problem goes away.

Attached picture 5423430-4726287-65hemiBelvederePINKS.jpg
Posted By: BobR

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/17/09 10:33 PM

Time to scale the car and/or check the posi unit.
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/18/09 12:02 AM

Most of the time, when a car won't stay straight on the burnout, is lack of wheel speed. Get after it. Get it up on the tire quick and hard, keep the rpms up and get it in high gear.

Monte
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/18/09 03:01 PM

More RPM I already assume you are doing a burnout in High Gear..Like Monte said wheelspeed will keep the car straight. Wheelspees is also what gets the tire hot.

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/18/09 03:32 PM

Quote:

More RPM I already assume you are doing a burnout in High Gear..Like Monte said wheelspeed will keep the car straight. Wheelspees is also what gets the tire hot.

Naw, I was lazidazical and really didnt hit the burnout hard... (looking for an excuse here) ..... I was saving my motor for the run... yeah that's it

Thanks guys, I'm sure the lack of wheel speed was the problem and it wont happen again...
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Burnout - slippin to the left - 08/18/09 04:02 PM

Quote:

DO NOT change pre load for the water box... that is
for the track itself.... get up on the tire speed more.
Alot of the burnout boxes arent anywhere near level
so that will be part of your problem
© 2024 Moparts Forums