Moparts

So how did you race with a clutch flite?

Posted By: Bob_Coomer

So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 01:48 AM

Seen one for sale in the classifieds.
Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?
Just wondering, hate to sound dumb, but I dont know how it works. I assume you launch with a clutch, and shift as normal?
Posted By: rowin4

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 02:26 AM

Can't say about racing with one but a friend of mine years ago had one that he drove on the street. Just as you said let the clutch out to go, manual shift through the gears, push in the clutch again to stop. He did race it ocasionally without any problem.

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 02:47 AM

Violently With no torque converter to cushion shifts they HAMMER the driveline. Not my idea of a street trans, and I sure wouldn't want to race one that didn't have bolt in sprag, good drums, etc. And 2 trans blankies
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 04:43 AM

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?
Just wondering, hate to sound dumb, but I dont know how it works. I assume you launch with a clutch, and shift as normal?

burn outs like regular, start it in second and shift it into high Launch procedure, rev it to where you want to let the clutch out(the clutch drives the front pump now so there is no internal trans pressure until the clutch is released, it acts like like a stick set up ) and shift it at the RPM you want like a regular 3 speed automatic Real old technology, best left in the old days The new converters are way better now than back then, that is probally the main reason there(clutch type automatic trans.) no longer around or in use today
Posted By: theraif

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 05:12 AM

Couple yrs ago i asked is i could use a clutch flite in a manual shift class and was told no but i could run a lenco
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 05:16 AM

So can the trans shift on it's own or does it have to be manually shifted?

If I ever actually found one close to me, I had considered that putting one in my stick car might be kinda cool. But not if it cost a ton and was more likely to break stuff.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 05:23 AM

manually shifted.
Posted By: Frito

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 10:17 AM

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

Bob, Peanut Stephens, (your neighbor) had one in a Devin sports car. It was equipped with a Hemi and injectors. He had the car at World of Wheels this year. The car has not been raced in over 30 years but he made a pass at Clay City last year. 426 Hemi with a NASCAR type bathtub intake and 4500 now insted of injectors. He lives between Greenup and Greenbow Lake. I will get his phone number for you.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 12:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

burn outs like regular, start it in second and shift it into high Launch procedure, rev it to where you want to let the clutch out(the clutch drives the front pump now so there is no internal trans pressure until the clutch is released, it acts like like a stick set up ) and shift it at the RPM you want like a regular 3 speed automatic Real old technology, best left in the old days The new converters are way better now than back then, that is probally the main reason there(clutch type automatic trans.) no longer around or in use today

I believe the pressure plate drives the pump gears so the pump is always making pressure to keep the forward clutch applied and the input shaft is spline into the clutch disc that's what keeps the car from moving when clutch is pressed
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 01:18 PM

You are correct sir,The release levers turn the pump and the input is turned by the disc.With todays clutch technology you could make this into a highly consistent bracket transmission.Todays clutch setups take the "violent" out of the launch.
Gus

Attached picture 5418874-READY2.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 05:39 PM

I wish I had pictures of the one a good friend of mine blew up at the Halloween Classic 20 some years ago. It was in a high 8 second front engine dragster. It hit a guy in the grandstands about 20 rows up. Very dangerous combo.
Posted By: chryco

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 05:45 PM

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

verrrrrry cafefully !!!!!!!

Attached picture 5419266-ATT00118.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/15/09 07:57 PM

Quote:

So can the trans shift on it's own or does it have to be manually shifted?

The originals were built with RMVB's but there's no reason one couldn't be built fully automatic...of course you'd have to run TP linkage/cable.

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/16/09 12:28 AM

Quote:

You are correct sir,The release levers turn the pump and the input is turned by the disc.With todays clutch technology you could make this into a highly consistent bracket transmission.Todays clutch setups take the "violent" out of the launch.
Gus

You can use modern clutchs to soften the leave, but unless you shove in the clutch to shift, the lack of converter slippage makes for a very harsh shift. The ClutchFlights were a crutch for the lack of good converters in that era; now with converter tech what it is, a C/Flight is a novelty/gimmick and is more dangerous than usefull.
Posted By: mr2performance

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/16/09 01:47 AM

I'm about to give the "poor mans lenco" a try. Of course it takes a ton of money (like Fred has) to make the thing even remotely safe. I have about 3k into it so far. 426 hemi, stack hilborn efi, 64 "ratcharger" polara. Clutchflite with a mcleod soft lok clutch, aa billet planet,lba valve body, billet drum, 16 element sprag.

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/16/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

Violently With no torque converter to cushion shifts they HAMMER the driveline. Not my idea of a street trans, and I sure wouldn't want to race one that didn't have bolt in sprag, good drums, etc. And 2 trans blankies

Don't forget the 2 trans blankies
Posted By: max

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/16/09 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

Bob, Peanut Stephens, (your neighbor) had one in a Devin sports car. It was equipped with a Hemi and injectors. He had the car at World of Wheels this year. The car has not been raced in over 30 years but he made a pass at Clay City last year. 426 Hemi with a NASCAR type bathtub intake and 4500 now insted of injectors. He lives between Greenup and Greenbow Lake. I will get his phone number for you.

i'm sure Willard would know alot about them and he is a super nice guy to talk to.

when i spoke to him last year at Clay City he was talking about going with a Lenco but was having trouble getting the combo he wanted from the vendor.

that was also the same day they forgot to put the radiator cap on and water got under the slicks on the track and the car got loose and he scraped the wall with the rear of the car knocking the windup key off it.

here's a photo of the car that was taken about 2 years ago with the injectors still on it.

with the history and rarity behind that car it should be in a museum.

Attached picture 5419978-WilardpeanutStevens1959Devin.jpg
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/16/09 02:14 AM

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

PULL YOUR FEET WAY BACK......

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/17/09 02:22 AM

Willard, Ha. You DO know him. I don't think this is the Devin, but it is the car he had in Huntington eariler this year. I am trying to make a meet with him later this week.

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/26/09 08:43 AM

Max,
I spent several hours with Peanut yesterday, He is quite a character at 77!! You are right, he has a lot of info on this car and it should be in a museum!!!
Posted By: max

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/26/09 04:26 PM

Quote:

Willard, Ha. You DO know him. I don't think this is the Devin, but it is the car he had in Huntington eariler this year. I am trying to make a meet with him later this week.

i know of him and i believe you are right, i think that photo is of the ferria and that was the car i was talking to him about at Clay City and he was wanting to put a Lenco trans in. i have never seen the devin.

Quote:

Max,
I spent several hours with Peanut yesterday, He is quite a character at 77!! You are right, he has a lot of info on this car and it should be in a museum!!!

he is a super guy and has alot of history on the cars he has. i believe he said there was either 7-8 fiberglass ferria bodies produced and shipped to this country and only 3(?) devin bodies that were ever made and brought into this country.

it would be nice if someone could get Peanut to document the history of those cars on paper and photos or even video before something happens to him.

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/27/09 01:19 AM

I did get some info and pics. As info the Devin flipped and rolled at Raven Rock Dragstrip in a race aganist Jerry Dailey. It was a Super Stock / Modified combo race. Dailey in a 65 A990 and Peanut in the Devin running B/Gas. It was the final and Peanut hit reverse on the PUSH BUTTONS. He still has the car in the garage. Not a whole lot of damage. I will post some pics as soon as I resize.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: So how did you race with a clutch flite? - 08/27/09 01:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Burn out box procedure?
Launch procedure?

i'm sure Willard would know alot about them and he is a super nice guy to talk to.

when i spoke to him last year at Clay City he was talking about going with a Lenco but was having trouble getting the combo he wanted from the vendor.

that was also the same day they forgot to put the radiator cap on and water got under the slicks on the track and the car got loose and he scraped the wall with the rear of the car knocking the windup key off it.

here's a photo of the car that was taken about 2 years ago with the injectors still on it.

with the history and rarity behind that car it should be in a museum.

unless you can show me more/better pics that red car is a Kellison Astra..
didnt mean to get off topic...
cheapst
© 2024 Moparts Forums