Moparts

MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels...

Posted By: 67dodge67

MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 09:18 PM

Looking to beef up my 8 3/4 over the winter and wanted some feedback here.

It currently has stock axels, 3.91 gears, locker type, and green bearings. It is in my 67 Coronet, 470, 727 trans w/ a 3k converter, current best is 12.1 @ 112.42, 1.68 60' on M/T drag radials (and would like to use slicks in the future).

I'm looking to beef up the rear and install new axels, but am not sure what to select. I'm not looking to make this into a 10 second car... maybe an 11.20's car by next summer.

So, which ones should I use? MW? Strange? Any other brands I am not aware of? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!
Posted By: Garceau

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 09:20 PM

Well....you say you dont want it a ten second car, but some day you might.

I would go with the best you ultimatly can afford. As far as the major brands, which ever works out to the best deal. They are all so similar, there are plenty of people that can put you onto a good deal just keep an open mind.

I ran well into the 10s with the 8.75, wasnt until I put alky injection into it. It didnt make it past the 60 ft. Heck didnt even leave the beams before it broke.
Posted By: SuperStocker

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 09:26 PM

Try Moser. They have excellent customer service and are contingency payers.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 09:29 PM

MW are excellant but there splines on their axles are not interchangeable with other manufacturers products,
i went with moser on the axles because there customer service is excellant.
Strange is also a good company but there customer service stinks and its hard to order from them,
you cant just give them dimensions and order,they ask how and why ? making ordering from them very difficult, its not a easy process.

as far as driveshafts MW hands down.
Moser is my choice for axles, you wont go wrong but go with 35 spline.

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 09:52 PM

Moser the "best" out there...
Posted By: beezer

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 10:33 PM

MW for sure. I had a problem with a set of axles that I had ordered from MW in that one was the wrong length. MW hisself got on the phone told me to send it back freight collect,next day aired me the right size axle on his dime too.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 11:03 PM

To make the 8 3/4 live in your car plan on installing a steel cap on the drivers side of the carrier and a set of axles and spool that are 35 splines. You will need the axle wheel bearings for those axles also I lke the "742" carrier best and then the "489" and last the "741" due to the differences in the pinion shaft diameter at the front bearing

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 11:27 PM

Thanks for the replies here. One thing I forgot to mention, the car is primarily a street car and will see about 25% time on the strip. Therefore, is a spool the best choice? I have heard it is not if the car will be driven on the street.

Anyone else for input on axels and the such? Thanks for all the info here.
Dave

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/13/09 11:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies here. One thing I forgot to mention, the car is primarily a street car and will see about 25% time on the strip. Therefore, is a spool the best choice? I have heard it is not if the car will be driven on the street.

Anyone else for input on axels and the such? Thanks for all the info here.
Dave

a spool is a little tough on the street but doeable.
if you plan on making a few tricks to the track, go for the spool.
i ran a spool on the street for years just go easy around turns.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 12:31 AM

I have Strange axels and have had zero problems with them or there service when I ordered them I wasn't sure on 1 of the measurements they needed so the rep call Aerospace for me to make sure the axels where correct I just sent them back last week to get the lug pattern redrilled to the large 5/8x18 studs they got them late Monday and called me on Tuesday to tell me they where shipping out WOW 1 day service what more can I ask for
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 12:34 AM

There are stronger axles than Moser Engineering out there, but for your application a set of ME 35 spline will be stronger than the rest of your rear. But that will require changing the carrier to get 35 splines. If you are keeping the lesser strength splines, buy the cheapest (new) axles you can since the spline will be weak.
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 03:45 AM

if the springs are moved in, or ladder bars. you might consider a back brace.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 04:34 AM

Talk to DoctorDiff about axles. He had a batch of axles made last year that should work for you but you'll have to check with him on spline counts and such.
Posted By: LA360

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 04:39 AM

Mark Williams will spline axles to suit any spool using the 30 pressure angle. Mark Williams stuff has a 45 degree pressure angle usually.
Moser stuff is strong, but not finished to the same standard that MW stuff is. You get what you pay for. In most cases, the Moser stuff is OK
AL....
Posted By: quickd100

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 09:51 AM

I really like Moser, great customber service to boot. Dave
Posted By: therocks

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 12:28 PM

Cantact Dr Diif he is a member and I believe he even makes his own axles.He carries a lot of stuff.He has a 4 sale add in the rear end section here.Rocky
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 01:52 PM

Mark Willaims over Moser every time. Strange Over Moser every time, al though I wont hesitate to put a set of Moser axles in a 3000 lb 9 second ride.

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 06:26 PM

Quote:

my springs are moved in 3 inches... never thought about the back brace.... even running low 11's?

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 06:27 PM

Quote:

Cantact Dr Diif he is a member and I believe he even makes his own axles.He carries a lot of stuff.He has a 4 sale add in the rear end section here.Rocky

I have done business with Dr. Diff before - front disk brake kit - and know he is very reliable. Point taken... Thanks.

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 06:29 PM

Someone here made a comment about MW drive shafts. I'll be replacing my stock one as well when doing this. Yes or No to them for their drive shafts?

Thanks again for all the input here!!
Dave
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: MW vs. Strange vs. ??? for axels... - 08/14/09 08:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

my springs are moved in 3 inches... never thought about the back brace.... even running low 11's?

my leaf springs were moved inside of the frame rail, so that may be more than 3". it bent the left tube and junked it all. i was running around 7.20 in the 1/8 footbraking
© 2024 Moparts Forums