Moparts

Tips for using a tow bar

Posted By: Mofopar

Tips for using a tow bar - 08/13/09 06:10 PM

Does anyone even use these anymore? I can't afford a trailer setup right now but want to get out to the track. I plan to use a minivan with a tow package to pull my Duster - any issues with weight differential? (tow vehicle too close in weight to trailing vehicle)

Aside from disconnecting the driveshaft, what else should I do to prepare for a tow? I assume the differential is OK as long as its disconnected?
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/13/09 08:03 PM

dont break in corners, the car being towed will push the rear tires of the car towing. it is better to have the tow vehicle weigh more.

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/13/09 08:25 PM

Quote:

dont break in corners, the car being towed will push the rear tires of the car towing. it is better to have the tow vehicle weigh more.

It does, I just read on an RV sit that the towed vehicle shouldn't weigh more than 40% of the towing vehicle. I'm at 62%.

Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/13/09 10:07 PM

I've towed my Jeep Wrangler all over hell and back with my 1/2 ton pickup....never had a problem....forget it's there half the time

Rickster
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/13/09 11:18 PM

Gravel is downright not possible.....unless you lock the steering wheel.
Back in the day, I used to let the wheel float, it will follow and you can take corners.With the wheel locked, corners are a problem.
Also,
Tie into the turn signal wiring harness up front and the taillights and brake lights will work with the tow vehicle.
Add lots of stopping distance..
Posted By: Prostock

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/14/09 01:18 AM

Prepare for putting a new transmission in the minivan, and prepare for a ticket if you get stopped. No way is a minivan rated to tow that kind of weight even with a tow package, and I seriously doubt you can find a class three hitch for one anyway.

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/14/09 12:27 PM

Quote:

Prepare for putting a new transmission in the minivan, and prepare for a ticket if you get stopped. No way is a minivan rated to tow that kind of weight even with a tow package, and I seriously doubt you can find a class three hitch for one anyway.

Huh, its rated for 3500 trailer weight and has a class II hitch installed. Its on the second tranny already (but not due to towing).

And what would I get a ticket for? I checked the local regs and I can't see a problem with it.

When I was a kid my Dad would tow his buddy's 69 Cuda to the track behind a Dodge Aspen
Posted By: DennisJ

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/14/09 06:47 PM

If you buy or build your own,make sure it is the longest one you can get. The longer it is the better it handles.

Dennia Jokela
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/14/09 06:56 PM

Leave the steering wheel unlocked but in a sharp bend make sure the front wheels on the Duster still are not at full lock with you dragging it that way. the 460 Ford that towed my Demon 340 used to do that on occasion. would not even know it till it would buck a little. Flat towing is not fun but can be done with a good bar slower speeds and common sense. I also towed cars behind my truck 318 1/2 ton and my Chrysler newport with heavy trailer tow pkg. so I know it can be done with out accidents
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Tips for using a tow bar - 08/15/09 01:45 AM

Guys, back in the day most of us flat towed our race cars. Only the people with money had a trailer. Flat towed a 32 3-window altered all over Louisiana and east texas in the early days (50s & early 60s). When in hi-school I also was a driver for a large used car company. They would go on buying sprees and I would go get them with my trusty tow bar. I could tell some stories about some of those trips. Seriously, just make sure it's a good hookup and drive sensibly. You won't have any problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums