Moparts

Modifying Stock K-member

Posted By: dustaboy74

Modifying Stock K-member - 08/12/09 07:14 PM

I was wondering what you guys did to your stock k-members and what you would recommend. Pictures would be great. I am currently building a 74 duster into a drag car and am looking for ideas to what to do with my stock k member. I will most likely becutting the motor mounts off and cutting the k member and boxing it but just wanted to see any other ideas that have worked well for others.

Thanks
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/12/09 08:05 PM

Not a good picture, but I cut off the mounts and put a big notch for the oil pan. My buddy welded flat stock where the K was cut. This pic was when I yanked it all out to put the AlterKtion in...
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/12/09 08:13 PM

Here is my current one. A few holes to lighten it, lip removed all the way around, reinforced keyhole slots to tie the car down. My last one had the motor mounts removed and notched and boxed for the oil pan.

I think one member cuts the whole center out and installs a piece of 2X3 as the cross piece.

Bondo Bob??

Attached picture 5413307-K-MEMBER.JPG
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/12/09 08:14 PM

Attached picture 5413309-K-MEMBER1.JPG
Posted By: MattW

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/12/09 09:05 PM

Man nice work, but with a tig that had to take some time? Matt
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 01:20 AM

Ron,I really like the slot idea for tie down point What did ya do in the rear?Did you weigh the "K" before & after??
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 01:35 AM

I used 1/8" x 4" flat stock, cut it out square, similar to the one pictured. If I would do it again I would cut it wider and deeper towards the front. Would make getting the pan off or even putting the engine in easier, deep pans suck. Make sure if you do decide to do surgery on the cross member either leave it bolted in the car or weld it to a heavy steel bench to keep it from warping.

Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 01:41 AM

I will be cutting off the mounts as I am going to a motor plate

Attached picture 5413903-new-kframe1.JPG
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 01:43 AM

Tubes added for strength

Attached picture 5413908-DSC_0177.JPG
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 02:21 AM

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 02:27 AM

Quote:

Thats were I would cut mine when I do it again, even with the steering box bracket and even with the idler bracket with a couple inches left at the front.

Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 02:37 AM

Mine i did for my big block im my dartsport. Stock engine mounts cut off.

Posted By: DemonDust

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 02:59 AM

Mine is pretty much gone. The only part still original is the rear two ears that attach to the torsion bars.

Posted By: Stanton

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 03:32 AM

In the photo above, where do the strut rods attach? I think you have the right idea ... if you're going to start hacking away the k-member its easier to fab what you need rather than carve off what you don't need. You've given me some ideas !!

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 03:37 AM

Quote:

In the photo above, where do the strut rods attach? I think you have the right idea ... if you're going to start hacking away the k-member its easier to fab what you need rather than carve off what you don't need. You've given me some ideas !!

Strut rods?

Here is another angle, hope it helps.

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 03:42 AM

Another angle, hope these help. If you are talking about the shock towers they are tied into the engine compartment roll bars.

Posted By: rebel

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 06:26 AM

this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands in the off season.

Attached picture 5414495-Picture662.jpg
Posted By: mopars rule

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 11:13 AM

I think they are referring to the rod running from the lower control arm to the K member to keep the LCA from flexing back and forth.
Posted By: 70dusterjohn

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 03:55 PM

Quote:

this is what happens when you have too much time on your hands in the off season.

Wait a Minute... The steerings on the wrong side... Looks good, but how is the pan clear...
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 06:21 PM

These are shots of my car,,,,work done by BondoBob,,,turned out awesome........
lost about 45 lbs,,,,,, and gained LOTS of clearance,,,,

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 06:51 PM

Doug, now take the stock drag link back out and send it back to Bob, cut the center out, and weld in a CM tube. Saves another couple pounds... Bob's work looks VERY nice.

Jeff
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 06:59 PM

Jeff,
yup,
he already did the drag link ,,,, and he did the steering shaft,,,,both are now CM...
also,,cut off the old motor mounts,,,and made motor ears,,,

he does great work,,,

thinking of getting some of his tubular A arms soon,,,
Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 07:06 PM

Quote:

I was wondering what you guys did to your stock k-members and what you would recommend. Pictures would be great. I am currently building a 74 duster into a drag car and am looking for ideas to what to do with my stock k member. I will most likely becutting the motor mounts off and cutting the k member and boxing it but just wanted to see any other ideas that have worked well for others.

Thanks

from the looks of it youve removed enough weight already!?!

Attached picture 5415367-image_267323.jpg
Posted By: dustaboy74

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 08:23 PM

Haha, yeah that picture is about 4 years or more old, it since has a new frame from the firewall back and 12 point cage with new wheel tubs and quarter panels, i just need to do some signature updating.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 09:44 PM

Some more of Bob's Profab work

Attached picture 5415609-DSCN3502.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 09:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Wait a Minute... The steerings on the wrong side... Looks good, but how is the pan clear...

with all this room i made a special pan. the base is flush with the bottom of the K frame & holds 10 litres which i think is 12 quarts. no running out of oil for me. engine fitment is REAL easy.

Attached picture 5415628-Picture1352.jpg
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Modifying Stock K-member - 08/13/09 10:02 PM

When it guts to this point (above) I have to wonder what the point is of keeping any of the front portion. The only purpose is to mount the stock strut rods. Why not use a tube from one side to the other with tabs for a heim-jointed strut rod ??
© 2024 Moparts Forums