Moparts

Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!!

Posted By: DemonDust

Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:35 PM

Ok, I've never built an engine with wire ring pin retainers. I tried getting one in and having no luck. I don't want to mar anything up with screwdrivers. So what is the trick to getting these little things in? What ever happened to a simple snap ring lol......

Thanks in advance
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:42 PM

Stretch it out and roll it in. Like an accordian.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:43 PM

Quote:

Stretch it out and roll it in. Like an accordian.

Define stretch it out... like open it up and make it a bigger circle?
Posted By: BILLYJAY

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:54 PM

the directions for them will say to stretch them out about 1/2-3/4" of an inch.. i used to pull them apart more like a full inch.. then slip one end in place and the spin it in.. once you do one of two you will see how easy thay can be..once you pop it into pace it will stay even better since it now is spring loaded where you pulled them apart... it's like a key chain ring.. while it is together it is very hard to get started.. but if you pull them apart alittle then you can get your keys on and off easier..

Attached picture 5411328-007.JPG
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:57 PM

STOP!

Wire locks are NOT Spiro-lox!

Don't stretch anything.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 10:58 PM

I think you guys are talking about spiro locks. I just have the round wire ones.

I didn't get any instructions, just a bag with a part number from EEI
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/11/09 11:27 PM

It's called experience......

But generally, I start them out with bottom of wire lock & place it in the groove around 5 O'clock position, & work my way counterclockwise pressing it in with a large flat blade screw driver, mainly putting alot of downward pressure on the lock around the 12-1 O'clock position. Once you do a few, they are fairly easy. Everything I have made custom now has wire locks in it, as they are superior to a sprio-lock, hence why Cup engines have them in.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 12:08 AM

They are almost easier if you stretch it out like a coil spring, then almost thread it in, but dont thread it in forewards, thread in reverse works the best. im hopeing you are talking spiral locks?

i have gotten pretty decent at it with just my fingers..

OOOOOPS i didnt read far enough, i havent even seen wire locks.

sorry

Kasey
Posted By: BILLYJAY

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 12:15 AM

Opps..me too.. thought he was talking about spiral locks....
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 01:06 AM

Never personally used them but whatched a guy at PRI install and take them out. He was actually pushing the product over spiral locks. He didn't use a screwdriver. It may have been the same guys who make the spiral lock removal tool. I want to say he used something about the equivalent of a long wrist pin. And he just simply popped them in all at once. The removal tool had a few tricks to it and he wasn't going out of his way to explain how it worked. He did say that was the hard part of dealing with wire locks.

I think this guy is tied in with Precision Product in NC.

Leon
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/12/09 01:19 AM

My engine builder has a tool for those and care is needed during the install.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 01:32 AM

They're strange little critters, you need to get one end in the groove then work it around. I had to do a bunch of deutz's with them. They tend to fly across the shop when not doing it right... Deutz called them "circlips".

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 02:26 AM

Well I'm def doing it wrong lol... Several of them have flown around the garage. I haven't got one in yet as I'm waiting on a good explanation.

Ryan I'll try your method and see if I can get it to work.

A few of you guys are confused on I what I have. It's basicly .063 wire i believe made into a circle. I am not using spiro locks (the ones that look like a slinky when you pull them apart)

Wish me luck guys, I may go back out tonight and try again.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 02:28 AM

Can someone make a wrist pin lock smiley with little c-clips flying everywhere?? I sure could use it
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 02:40 AM

I hope you never have to take them out or you'll be looking for a "throwing piston
and rod through plate glass window smiley".

Posted By: fbs63

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 03:28 AM

Make sure the pins you have have the chamfered ends for use with the wire rings. I had a new set of pistons and pins come in with the wrong pins. You can get one in but not the other.
Bob

Attached picture 5412014-CarPic2.jpg
Posted By: Georg

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 05:23 AM

Jesse, can you post a pic of this part you are talkeing about, Icant understand what you mean of this wire rings?
Do you mean something like this : http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_images/starter_solenoid_32.jpg ?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Jesse, can you post a pic of this part you are talkeing about, Icant understand what you mean of this wire rings?
Do you mean something like this : http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/mg_images/starter_solenoid_32.jpg ?

Same basic thing... that one is a OD clip and he is
using ID clips... same thing
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 02:23 PM

Just went through this on a Nascar motor I was workng on and after the builder watched me TRY to get those in, he finally pulled out an installation tool that works like a charm. Don`t have a part # but I`m sure you can locate one.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 04:44 PM

Well my fingers are sore, but they are sore from trying to install, still didn't get any in at that point.

I stepped back to give my fingers a rest, went to sears and believe it or not they had the tool to install wire locks!!!!!

Got home and 70 mins later all the locks are in and rods are attached to pistons. I'll take a pic of the tool. My batteries are dead in my cam so I'll have to get some. Once I had this tool it was so easy. If I had this from the start my fingers wouldn't be sore now, and I wouldn't have had to search the garage for wire locks

Thanks for all the help
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 05:19 PM

YES! Show a picture! I will be needing one of those tools soon and there is a Sears nearby.

Attached picture 5412982-BESTSIDE.JPG

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 09:16 PM

Ok here is the pic I promised. This tool is awesome. It comes in any pin size, so you can install pretty much wire lock size there is.

Ok so I was a little dramatic about going to sears lol. But it works great.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!!!! - 08/12/09 09:28 PM

So the trick is you put one end of the wire lock in the grove at about 1'o clock. The lock will pass thru the pick lock groove. At this point the lock will be at an angle. Select a socket that is about the same size as the pin. Put the ratchet on so you have a handle. put the socket on the pin lock at the same angle and press firmly working the ring into the grove. It will snap in and no sore fingers. It took 2 or 3 to get it down. 7 and 8 were a breeze.

Above you can see the pick lock area at the 4'o clock area.

Finished product
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 02:22 AM

If you ever want to change out the pistons, how are the snap rings removed?

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 02:33 AM

Quote:

If you ever want to change out the pistons, how are the snap rings removed?

In the close up pic of the piston you can see a little pocket around the 4 o clock position. You can fit a very small screw driver in there and pop the ring very easily out. I tried it and it was no problem.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 02:37 AM

I see it now . Thanks for the tip,

Posted By: emarine01

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 02:44 AM

Who made the pistons?

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 02:44 AM

JE
Posted By: SD800

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 07:03 PM

Every two stroke motor I have built has circlips in them, fun little devils aren't they.even more fun when you drop one down in the crankcase . the tool to install them are great but I just use a screw driver, been doing it since I was 12 when I had to replace a piston in my old Moto-Ski,Snowmobile for you warm weather guys.
To remove them just use a pic, most pistons have a notch where you can get behind the circlip and pop it out, wear saftey glasses when doing this or you'll shoot your eye out!!!!

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 07:26 PM

Snowmobile clips are no where near as strong. I raced mach z's back in the day and those clips went right in.

These nascar ones are very strong..
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 07:39 PM

Wow those are the shortest pistons I've ever seen!

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 08:39 PM

Those arent shorter than the YFZ450 yammerhammers. Those are almost so short that they want to almost spinn in the bores. Thats why heavy raced 450's get rebuilt every 50-70 hrs of run time. Pro guys are doing it every race. Its crazy, but light and they freekin scream!!

Those are PIRDY , What kind of rods are they, Lentz, or Corillo??

Kasey

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 09:14 PM

They are Carrillos.

Re: Engine Builders...I'm ready to pull my hair out!!!! - 08/13/09 09:24 PM

© 2024 Moparts Forums