Moparts

SB stroker options for track car

Posted By: AndyF

SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 05:13 PM

I'm looking into a project where we would build up a SB for an A body track car (road race). It isn't an all out effort, just a big fat torque curve so the guy can drive to the track and pull 130 mph down the front straight.

We have a couple 360 blocks but there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for 4.0 inch cranks with the 360 mains. I'd like to run a Chevy 2.10 pin so I can use a Chevy connecting rod. (The Chevy rods are less expensive and there are more bearing options plus the smaller piston pin is lighter, etc.)

The other option would be to pony up for a 340 restoration block and then go with a Callies crank with the Chevy pins. Or I suppose one could use bearing spacers but I don't like that idea.

I'm not having too much luck finding bobweight info on the various cranks that are for sale either. Maybe I have to call the vendors to find out if these cranks will balance internally or not? The bobweight should be down around 1800 grams or so with a 6.125 rod, .927 pin, 15cc dish piston, etc.

Lots of rings available at the various 4.00 oversizes so we'll probably run 1.5/1.5 or 0.043/0.043 just to take a little more weight and friction out of the assembly.

Any other options out there that I need to think of?
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 05:21 PM

I would use a Scat 4" crank, 360 mains if your sticking with the stock block.
Your not saving a ton with chevy rods and pins IMO.
What kind of cam (FT or roller or hyd roller)are you planning?
RPM?
Any rules?
I love building road race and circle track engines...they are a nice challenge and fun to watch go around the track.
Still waiting for my book Andy LOL!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 05:35 PM

Go with the cubes, I'd use a 340 base for the bigger
bore. Something in the 4.10 gear range with a 28" tire
You might even offset grind a 4.0 Mopar crank
Posted By: emarine01

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 05:39 PM

I wouldn't rule out the 3.79 cranks for a road race combo, still has good grunt down low with higher rpm potential,
Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 05:48 PM

http://www.ohiocrank.com/mopar_cranks.html

Watch the scat cast cranks, because the back flange could be machined too far back. I have heard from several different places about this and problems arising from it. AND: the crank in my 406 Crate wiped out the thrust bearing/flange because of this. You end up with insfficient "converter pull up" and when the engine runs and is warming up and things start to expand it binds up and the problems start. I belive the crank in this Crate motor is a scat cast crank.
Posted By: Geezer

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 06:13 PM

Try:http://www.winbergcrankshafts.com/cranks/mopar.shtml

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 06:38 PM

Quote:

http://www.ohiocrank.com/mopar_cranks.html

Watch the scat cast cranks, because the back flange could be machined too far back. I have heard from several different places about this and problems arising from it. AND: the crank in my 406 Crate wiped out the thrust bearing/flange because of this. You end up with insfficient "converter pull up" and when the engine runs and is warming up and things start to expand it binds up and the problems start. I belive the crank in this Crate motor is a scat cast crank.

Yeah I should have elaborated...that was the 4340 Scat crank. So far I've had zero problems with them.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 08:29 PM

Andy, the forged 4" K-1 crank in my 360 has 2.10" chevy journals. I'm running 6.125 Comp Star rods, Diamond shelf pistons with a .927" pin.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 09:22 PM

Quote:

Andy, the forged 4" K-1 crank in my 360 has 2.10" chevy journals. I'm running 6.125 Comp Star rods, Diamond shelf pistons with a .927" pin.

Cool, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I had forgot about K-1. That is precisely the combo I was thinking about. Justin, did you keep a record of what the bobweight was? Did that K-1 crank balance internally?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 09:37 PM

Quote:

RPM?
Any rules?
I love building road race and circle track engines...they are a nice challenge and fun to watch go around the track.

Book is in the mail. This track motor is for the second book. I'd use the SCAT forged crank in a heartbeat if it had the Chevy pins on it. Last time I talked to Tom at SCAT he wasn't too interested in putting Chevy pins on their cranks for some reason. I tried to explain the benefits but his mind seemed to be made up. I could call him back and try again I suppose.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 09:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Cool, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I had forgot about K-1. That is precisely the combo I was thinking about. Justin, did you keep a record of what the bobweight was? Did that K-1 crank balance internally?

Andy, sorry I honestly don't recall the bob weight, I'll check my reciepts to see if it's on one of them. It balanced internal with no mallory, actually there are several holes drilled in it .

The rotating assembly came from Dram, he could probably give you a good idea of the bob weight.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 09:53 PM

I believe your ok now with the current K1's. The early batches of the 360/2.100 cranks were a little light on the counterweights and some combos did need mallory. I think that has been addressed and corrected. They should have them in stock.

What you want is a : 360-4000FB6F

I have usde and sold a fair amount of K1's and also like the Scats very much, but they just dont seem to want to listen on the 2.200 and 2.100 rod pins. They are REALLY missing the boat. I know several people have approached them on it, and they just dont get it.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 10:09 PM

Thanks for the part number, I'll run that down.

Personally I don't see any reason for anyone to ever build another engine with Mopar rods in it, SB or BB. Just use the BBC or SBC rods for everything. The rods are less expensive, have more options and styles available, and the bearing choice is much larger. I personally don't understand why the crank mfgs don't see it that way but for some reason they don't. Callies has switched almost everything over to the Chevy pins but some vendors stick with the Mopar clubs for some reason.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/09/09 11:46 PM

If they won't give you chevy pins I would just go down the road. I have not run a Mopar rod in probably over 15 years. I put chevy rods in my first stroker motor before they were even very popular, and every one since.

Attached picture 5406752-Demon.JPG

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/10/09 01:30 AM

The one reason I'll give SCAT another try is because they have a lightweight option on their crankshaft that takes about 10 lbs off the nose of the car. If I could just get the lightweight crank with 2.100 pins then all would be cool but that option doesn't seem to exist in any of the catalogs I have.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/10/09 01:47 AM

For road racing I think I'd be tempted to run the 3.79 stroke crank with a longer 6.25" rod to keep the side loading down and with a solid cam you'll probably make very close to the same top end power with the same compression and cam. You should wind up with close the same CH and weight piston as a 4" stroke with a 6.125 rod but your rod ratio and piston speed will be more favorable for SUSTAINED High RPM use.

You can have too much torque coming off a corner and the compression braking might be a bit less herky jerky with less cubes. I know this from my experience with Cobra replicas that most guys prefer the 3.85 stoke 393" motors with longer rods that keep the side loading down and a wider more tractible powerband with less likelyhood of an overrev....not so much an issue with drag racing but the way oil moves around in a road race car is quite a bit different.

Also I'd run the 340 block with it's smaller mains, Canton makes some pretty good road race pans.

so a 395" (4.07 x 3.79) would be the way I'd look at going with a Tremec 5 speed, I think you'd make as much power as a 416 with more of a rev cushion up high.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/10/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

RPM?
Any rules?

Book is in the mail. This track motor is for the second book. I'd use the SCAT forged crank in a heartbeat if it had the Chevy pins on it. Last time I talked to Tom at SCAT he wasn't too interested in putting Chevy pins on their cranks for some reason. I tried to explain the benefits but his mind seemed to be made up. I could call him back and try again I suppose.

There just isn't any really huge bene from the chevy stuff.
Just go with that crank, I beam rods and a nice lightweight piston and your done.
There is some HP in ring pack and bore finish, and even skirt design.

I think it would be cool to do a magnum type build with edelbrocks mag head.
JMO...LOL!
Oh, and I can't wait to read the book!!
I owe you twice now...

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/11/09 02:58 AM

I might try a slightly longer rod such as a Chevy 6.250 for example. It looks to me like there is still plenty of room for the ring pack even with a 4.0 stroke.

I need to hear back from a few folks before I make a decision. If I can line up a 340 block from Mopar Performance then we'll go that way. Might even go with a 4.125 bore or larger depending on rings. 4.125 x 4.00 makes a 428 inch SB which should make that A body car scoot around the track.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 04:58 PM

I just came across another option which is interesting. Hughes Engines has a special kit made for them which makes a 426 inch motor in a 360 block. They have a crank with 360 mains but 4.180 stroke.

There crank uses a small rod pin, Quad 4 I think. They say it installs with very little grinding due to the smaller rod pins. The pistons are setup for pump gas with the CR about 9.75:1 with Edelbrock heads.
Posted By: BPE

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 05:35 PM

How about a 4.125" stroke with a 6.200" sj chevy rod aroud 1.310 CH. With that piston it will still use a standrd ring pack, and I just happen to have the last of the prototypes in a 360 main.

Attached picture 5446666-4.125Crank.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 07:11 PM

Interesting! I just heard about a 4.125 crankshaft from K1 with the SJ Chevy pin. They do not show it in their catalog but evidently it is now a standard item.

I'm going to have to put all of this info in my next book. Jim Szilagyi's book is only a few years old but it is already out of date on these various crankshaft options. His book didn't show anything from K1 or SCAT for instance nor did he show the special crank that Hughes has.
Posted By: jg309

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 07:29 PM

guys I've got just what you need,I've got a king billet with a set of carolla 6.00" rods with a 1.85 pin end, stroke is 3.625, crank wt. is app. 49lbs.& iut comes with rod brg.,all for $3000 if inter. pm me or call 618-806-1564 thanks jg309
Posted By: jamesc

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 07:53 PM

Quote:

Personally I don't see any reason for anyone to ever build another engine with Mopar rods in it, SB or BB. Just use the BBC or SBC rods for everything.

amen to that, puzzles me to no end
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/28/09 08:26 PM

Quote:

How about a 4.125" stroke with a 6.200" sj chevy rod aroud 1.310 CH. With that piston it will still use a standrd ring pack, and I just happen to have the last of the prototypes in a 360 main.

Thanks to BPE,I had the opportunity to test the first one for him.Vic(sst/3040) did spend a lot of time on the assembly for me.
It is performing pretty well,and has a lot more in it,Eddy heads,flat tappet cam and 3070 pounds.
And the chassis just plain has not been up to par yet.
If I can ever get back to the track,I am confident these numbers will be improved upon.
Just wanted to give my thanks to both of them.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 09/02/09 05:05 PM

A Small Block for an A body track car (road race) IS in my future. I just have the original ring-jobbed OE bore 340 in my car. It definitely needs motor attention before But I still beat it mercilessly

I don't have a budget for $3000 cranks. I like the idea of using Chevy circle track parts to keep the costs down and the weight down and have something quick to rev. I don't/won't have a chassis to fully take advantage of 500+ HP, so I don't need the weight and costs of 500+ hp parts.

I like the idea of keeping the revs down to save the valvetrain and avoiding the oiling issues with smallblocks.

I good SB Oil pan is an issue too. When I had an acomplished road racer (12hrs Sebring) drive my car at Willow Springs, the pan just sucked dry or foamed and I had to wait 30 minutes to get the valve ticking to go away. It has just a stock unbaffled oil pan. I haven't sucked the pan dry, but I'm more a novice driver and I'm a little easier on it than he was.

I need reliability to drive 1 hour to the track at 3800 rpm, race it on the track from 8am to 5pm, then drive it home at 3800 rpm. There's enough other chassis and driving things to worry about at the track, so I don't want be fiddling with the motor.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 09/20/09 05:58 PM

Looks like I'll be getting a 340 resto block for the project so that narrows the choices down to the 340 main size.

K1 has the 4.125 and Callies has a 4.250 Dragoslayer so those seem like a couple of good candidates to use. Probably go with 4.040 or 4.060 bore size but I'll wait until I sonic the block before I make a decision there. I'll want to stick with a bore size that has a lot of ring choices.

Anyone have any other crankshaft options that I should look at?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/16/09 04:42 AM

I'm going with the 4.125 stroke and 6.200 SJ rods. Going to build a 427 inch small block. Heads are at Hughes getting their Stage 3 porting with the big 2.08 intake valves. The Victor 340 intake is headed off to Ryan to get some port work. I still need to make a decision on the camshaft.

The carb showed up today. It is from Bo Laws (BLP) and it is a very nice looking carb. It came with a full setup sheet and it has been carefully gone over. 1.250 venturi size for plenty of throttle response coming off the corners.

Attached picture 5548350-blp.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 04:44 AM

Crankshaft showed up today. 4.125 stroke. Weighs 55 lbs.

Attached picture 5575638-K1crank.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 04:46 AM

Con rods are here. 6.200 long Chevy rods with the small journal on the big end. 441/187 gram split weights. Nice ARP bolts.

Attached picture 5575639-K1rod.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 04:49 AM

Block is here also. Mancini Racing had 3 in stock so I grabbed one. P5007552AB comes finish bored to 4.040 size and has the cam bearings and freeze plugs installed. I could run it right out of the box but I think I'm going to bore it to 4.060 and build a 427 inch motor.

Attached picture 5575643-top.jpg
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 06:01 AM

Interesting topic here. I'm building something similiar. I have a scat 4" crank with the stage 1 lightening. Weighs in at about 53 lbs. Bobweight with the HEAVY scat H beam rods comes in at 1903 grams. Wiseco protru pistons. Heads are Edelbrock LA style with 5/16" stemmed 2.080/1.600 valves. Intake's flowing about 315 so far. Might see more but not at a lift that's worthwhile. Super victor intake, heads will be ported to a W5 port window. Compression'll be about 11.5:1. Planning on a solid roller cam with the LS1 firing order but money is an issue if I want to see this thing run in the next 5 years. T&D rockers will be a must for the RPM I expect this thing to turn. Engine should be set back so I can run the Canton rear sump road race pan and a T56 will back it up.
As to the reason why the crank companies won't change to chevy journals, it costs money to change things. The pencil pushing pansies that be don't like to spend money if they can't see the returns immediately.

As a side note, I ran a 408 with Eagle I beam rods that the bobweight came in at about 1840. Same pistons.
Posted By: BPE

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 11:37 AM

Looks good. And I liked your big block book. Thanks
Posted By: jcc

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 02:18 PM

Quote:

Heads are Edelbrock LA style with 5/16" stemmed 2.080/1.600 valves. Intake's flowing about 315 so far.

315 sounds really good, correct?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/30/09 03:35 PM

Quote:

Looks good. And I liked your big block book. Thanks

Glad to hear you liked the book. Be sure to send me some pictures of your project when you have time.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/04/09 03:53 AM

ARP doesn't show a main stud kit for these 4 bolt main blocks so I called and talked to them about the project. They sent some extra studs, washers and nuts that fit perfect. Hopefully they'll go ahead and set up a kit with these parts in it so people can just order it off the shelf.

Attached picture 5585433-studs.jpg
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/04/09 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Heads are Edelbrock LA style with 5/16" stemmed 2.080/1.600 valves. Intake's flowing about 315 so far.

315 sounds really good, correct?

And totally not worth the effort when I easily hit 325 with some oval Indy heads. If I hadn't already had the heads and more time than money...

Don't have the holes milled for pushrods yet...

Chamber's shined up a bit to see if I can make a bit more power on a bit less timing.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/15/09 05:35 AM

The new bellhousing from QuickTime showed up a few days ago. Nice looking piece and it is about 12 lbs lighter than the Lakewood housing that was there.

This bellhousing has a dual bolt pattern so the stock transmission bolts on and so does a Doug Nash 5 speed. QuickTime has bellhousings for other transmissions including Richmond, Jerico, Muncie, TKO, T56, etc.

Attached picture 5605827-QT.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/16/09 08:51 AM

Quote:

The new bellhousing from QuickTime showed up a few days ago. Nice looking piece and it is about 12 lbs lighter than the Lakewood housing that was there.

This bellhousing has a dual bolt pattern so the stock transmission bolts on and so does a Doug Nash 5 speed. QuickTime has bellhousings for other transmissions including Richmond, Jerico, Muncie, TKO, T56, etc.

It Tim going to run a Richmond in his Valiant? I thought he had a 833 before? What road racing clutches are you looking at?
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/16/09 12:16 PM

Andy I am very interested in what is needed to make the quicktime b-h work without compromise as I have another [new] stroker engine to put in my pos and that b-h would be the hot ticket.

Any idea what this engine would cost?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/16/09 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It Tim going to run a Richmond in his Valiant? I thought he had a 833 before? What road racing clutches are you looking at?

No, Tim is going to run a Mopar 4 speed with the full aluminum treatment from Passon Performance. I was just doing a little mockup work with my Doug Nash while I had the parts available.

When I installed the Nash into my B body car I had to custom modify the bellhousing because nothing existed off the shelf. So I was happy to see that a person can now get a turn key solution from QuickTime.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/16/09 03:16 PM

Quote:

Andy I am very interested in what is needed to make the quicktime b-h work without compromise as I have another [new] stroker engine to put in my pos and that b-h would be the hot ticket.

Any idea what this engine would cost?

I'm going to call QuickTime and ask them about the starter nose position. I have a couple of ideas myself on how to locate the nose but I want to hear their thoughts before I fab something myself.

Are you asking how much the 427 engine that we're building will cost? My spreadsheet says it is adding up to $15,000 retail.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/16/09 05:13 PM

Quote:

Are you asking how much the 427 engine that we're building will cost? My spreadsheet says it is adding up to $15,000 retail.

Gasp, Gasp... I'm out.

Whether I had the money or not, I can't justify that until I've spent a similar amount on the chassis to utilize that power. And I think to do that a roll cage and mini tubs would be in that mix.

At that point I'd personally rather build a racecar legal for VARA vintage racing. Same money, more fun.

Also, is that $15K not including assembly labor. Like just parts and machining in the $15K number.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/25/09 02:41 AM

Heads are here from Hughes Engines. This is their Stage III CNC port work. The Stage III kit includes full porting and the big 2.08 intake valves. The heads look great. These were used heads that I sent them so they cleaned them up and did all the machine work.

Attached picture 5625225-heads.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/25/09 02:42 AM

Close up on the exhaust side.

Attached picture 5625227-ports.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/25/09 10:05 PM

Chambers look nice. The chamber is laid back a bunch by the intake valve so I'll need to run a head gasket with a big bore size. Cometic has a 4.180 bore size gasket as a standard shelf part so I'll probably go with that.

Attached picture 5626657-chambers.jpg
Posted By: Mroctober

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/25/09 10:18 PM

Get the COMETIC Fel pro blow easy
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/25/09 11:02 PM

Quote:

What/who's valve springs? Appear to be single spring??

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/26/09 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What/who's valve springs? Appear to be single spring??

Beehive springs from Comp Cams.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/26/09 04:47 PM

Aluminum case from Passon Performance drops 30 lbs off the car. Only down side is it probably shifts the CG forward. I'd need to scale the car before and after to know for sure what the effect will be.

Attached picture 5628657-Passon.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/26/09 04:52 PM

Cast iron bare box weighs 54 lbs vs. the 24 lbs for the aluminum case.

Attached picture 5628672-833.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/02/09 02:43 AM

Not an engine post but in keeping with the weight reduction theme the new rotors showed up today. They shave 6 lbs per side for a total reduction of 12 lbs. That is 12 lbs up front and unsprung so kind of a double benefit.

Attached picture 5640146-Baer.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/11/09 04:29 AM

Pistons are here so it is time to go to the machine shop. JE made up a great set of pistons for this motor. Big dish to keep the weight down, 1.2/1.5/3.0 rings, .927 pin, special coating on the skirt, wire locks, accumulator groove, etc. They cost about a grand total but that seems pretty fair for all the features.

Attached picture 5660423-piston.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/11/09 04:31 AM

Comp rocker arms mounted up on the Hughes CNC ported heads using one of the Hughes Engines hold down kits. These are 1.50 rocker arms and I also have a set of the PRW 1.60 rocker arms. I need to check them both out and decide which to use.

Attached picture 5660429-rockers.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/11/09 04:34 AM

Cometic is selling complete gasket kits these days. They have their special MLS head gaskets in the kit as well as their own type of gaskets for other applications. This stuff looks pretty good. I've used their water pump gaskets before with good results as well as the timing cover gasket and stuff like that. I always use Cometic head gaskets when running aluminum heads.

Attached picture 5660436-gaskets.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/13/09 08:14 PM

The K1 crankshaft fits perfectly in this block. The radius on the edge the crank is just the right size to clear the corners of the block. Drops right in and spins nice. It will be a while before I get the rods in so I'm not positive what the clearance there will look like.

Attached picture 5665378-crank.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/23/09 01:04 AM

I got the block up in the mill today so I could drill and tap the oil filter area for external oil lines. I wish this modification was done by the factory. Just a simple tap exercise for them because they have it all fixtured already. For me it took most of the day to make the fixture and get it all dialed in.

Attached picture 5684066-milling.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/16/10 04:50 PM

I designed my block fixture so I could rotate the block 31 degrees in each direction so I could go after the excess material in the valley. In this picture I'm just starting to whack away at the extra head bolts.

Attached picture 5738919-valley.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/16/10 04:52 PM

The K1 crank was too heavy to drill for balancing so we chucked it up in the lathe and took some off. It needed about 150 grams off of each end. The bobweight for this 427 engine is 1780 grams.

Attached picture 5738923-lathe.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/20/10 04:45 AM

We couldn't get the Comp hyd roller lifters to fit in this 340 resto block even after a ton of machining and grinding so we gave up on that idea. My next idea was to see if I could adapt the factory Magnum lifters over to this block. Close, but no cigar. With some additional machine work the Magnum lifters would drop in and work with a factory spider but we didn't want to put the block back in the machining center.

Attached picture 5747229-mag_lifters.jpg
Posted By: kick_the_reverb

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/20/10 08:57 PM

Andy,
Try drilling the dog bones and installing them with a bolt and spring, RyanJ has the notes from the MP engineer that came up with the idea to use that in the Magnum race block.

Ran

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/20/10 09:13 PM

The problem is the fact that the lifter bores are too tall so the dogbones don't work. The lifter bores would need to be shortened by about 0.200 and then this approach would work. The spider will work just fine once the dogbones were in place.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/21/10 04:07 AM

Gotcha, thanks!
Ran

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/24/10 05:28 PM

Shortblock is together. Just need to sort out what cam we're going to run in this thing and then the rest of it should come together fairly quickly.

Attached picture 5756783-bottom_end.jpg
Posted By: Overdrive440

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/27/10 07:01 PM

Will this block accept some type of roller lifter? I'm curious as I'm considering one of these blocks for my project.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/27/10 08:19 PM

Short story is no, you cannot use any type of roller lifter in a 340 resto block.

Long answer is yes you can after you've made all of the necessary modifications and purchased the correct parts.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/27/10 08:50 PM

Won't Brian's Solid Roller lifters drop in?? Or are the lifter bores too tall to clear the link bars? Maybe he has a tall version or perhaps they are made tall to begin with??

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/27/10 11:41 PM

They'll drop in once you machine away the extra head bolt bosses in the valley. If you don't own a multi-axis machining center then it isn't really a drop-in operation.

That is the tough thing about answering a question like this. To a guy like Ryan these things just bolt together! To the average guy with a Craftsman tool box and a double car garage it just isn't possible.
Posted By: MattW

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/30/10 03:40 PM

Quote:

They'll drop in once you machine away the extra head bolt bosses in the valley. If you don't own a multi-axis machining center then it isn't really a drop-in operation.

That is the tough thing about answering a question like this. To a guy like Ryan these things just bolt together! To the average guy with a Craftsman tool box and a double car garage it just isn't possible.

Nice work Andy
What did you use for the oil filter fitting? Matt

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/30/10 04:43 PM

I used steel fittings that are 3/8 NPT to #8 AN. I couldn't find any that went to #10 AN and I didn't want to spend the time making fittings.

Attached picture 5769655-oil_lines.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/31/10 05:55 AM

This Progear timing chain setup is pretty nice stuff. First time I've used it. Got it from the guys at Hughes Engines.

I dialed in the cam even though I'm not sure I'll be able to use it. Comp is sending me some new lifters that haven't been announced yet that are supposed to work in this 340 resto block. If they don't work then the roller stuff is all going back on the shelf and I'll run a solid flat tappet cam.

Attached picture 5771227-progear.jpg
Posted By: PUNK

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/31/10 09:01 AM

Andy, from the looks of your lifter valley, the new roller lifters that are on there way will fit like a glove. The link bar is attached to the front side of the link bar support on the body which is far away from the side of the valley sides. I have the lifters and I have a resto block and they work great. Brian at IMM helped out on the design of those lifters before Comp even had a part number. Nice stuff.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 01/31/10 02:34 PM

Quote:

I used steel fittings that are 3/8 NPT to #8 AN. I couldn't find any that went to #10 AN and I didn't want to spend the time making fittings.

Thanks. Where would one find these fitting? Matt

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/03/10 10:30 PM

Quote:

Brian at IMM helped out on the design of those lifters before Comp even had a part number. Nice stuff.

Do these lifters have a Comp part number now?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/03/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. Where would one find these fitting? Matt

Standard fitting off the shelf. I use steel fittings for an application like this but some people might use aluminum. Anyplace that handles hydraulic hoses should be able to get you the fittings.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/03/10 11:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian at IMM helped out on the design of those lifters before Comp even had a part number. Nice stuff.

Do these lifters have a Comp part number now?

Not yet. I'm still waiting for them to send me a set. I'll post pictures once they arrive.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/04/10 12:21 AM

Awesome. If they work nice, it might sway me to get a Magnum race block for my w5 heads.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/07/10 04:43 PM

Here is a picture of the new 8043-16 solid roller lifters from Comp in my 340 replacement block. The inner head bolt bosses have been machined off and the valley has gotten some work with a sanding roll to smooth it out. According to the sonic checker the valley wall is still about 0.200 thick.

Attached picture 5788616-8043cl.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/07/10 04:45 PM

The tie bar on these lifters is barely tall enough to clear the lifter bosses in the 340 replacment block. I had already cleaned up the top of the lifter bosses when I had the block in the fixture. I'm glad I did that or else these might not have cleared.

Attached picture 5788617-8043tie.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/07/10 04:49 PM

Picture of the lifters shows the feed hole for the pushrod oiling is drilled in from the side which is correct. Many of the lifter mfgs drill from the bottom which doesn't work. Not sure why some folks continue to build parts for 30 years that don't work but they do.

There is also a small EDM hole that feeds the roller. It is too small to see but it comes in off of the relief area so it should get full oil pressure all the time.

I haven't measured yet to see how much lift these can handle before exposing the oil gallery but I think it is probably a bunch.

Attached picture 5788629-8043.jpg
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/07/10 10:54 PM

BLP (Bo Laws) makes steel AN 3/8" to -10 & -12 like you were looking for.... About 4.4" long.

I've never been comfortable going down to -8's.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/10/10 05:58 PM

Any update on the Quicktime bellhousing starter nose support issue?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/10/10 06:08 PM

Just going to run the nose unsupported and see what happens.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/10/10 09:14 PM

The Comp rocker arms measure about 1.47 effective ratio on these heads which isn't bad. I like the oiling setup on the Comps with a hole that shoots oil right at the roller tip.

Attached picture 5795603-Comp.jpg
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/10/10 10:15 PM

I have ran a Lakewood scatter shield with JW 'wheel' and Bert trans in dirt cars with the Mopar mini starter and no nose support with very few problems. The engine was 408" w/12:1 CR. To mount/align the starter with the 'wheel', I had to make a shim plate to put between the starter and mount surface of the bell housing. On an occasion or two, we would have to re-position and re-tighten the starter as it would move a little and not engage smoothly after several hundred laps. Not a huge problem, but not 100% fail safe.
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/11/10 02:58 PM

Why no chain tensioner? The chains on SB are so long they seem to get sloppy real easy. MP part #P5007709.

Mike @MM

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/11/10 04:23 PM

The last chain tensioner didn't last very long so this time we'll run it without one.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/11/10 06:43 PM

Quote:

The last chain tensioner didn't last very long so this time we'll run it without one.

Any ideas why/what it failed? Is this a possiblity for the aftermarket?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/11/10 09:14 PM

I got a set of RAS rocker arms to try on this motor. Very nice parts, just like their big block rocker arms. Heavy duty hold downs, bronze bushings, stainless investment cast parts, etc.

Attached picture 5797781-RAS.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/11/10 09:16 PM

Also tried a set of PRW rocker arms. These rocker arms come fully polished which is kind of unique. They are similiar to the Comps but have a bushing and a little different oiling setup. The PRW rocker arms come complete with hold down hardware while the Comp setup is just the rocker arms and the shafts. I went with the hold down kit from Hughes to install the Comps which adds another $85 to the system.

Attached picture 5797788-PRW.jpg
Posted By: auto-xr

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/12/10 05:38 AM

autoxcuda,
Roller timing chain really cut into the tensioner in no time. Yes, that engine was run hard and HOT but oil pressure was always present. Maybe its meant only for factory link style chains??

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/12/10 06:23 AM

Quote:

autoxcuda,
Roller timing chain really cut into the tensioner in no time. Yes, that engine was run hard and HOT but oil pressure was always present. Maybe its meant only for factory link style chains??

Yea, that situation you had shouldn't have really affected the chain.

You've got a point than a non roller chain has a lot more surface area and smoother on it's backside that rubs the tensions than a roller chain.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/14/10 06:58 AM

Here is a picture of the tensioner after just a few hours of operation. This part was failing quickly. The chain was eating grooves into the plastic pad and dumping plastic chips into the motor. In a little while it would've been eating into the spring.

Attached picture 5803354-tension.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/14/10 07:00 AM

Picture of the RAS rocker arms. These are 1.60 ratio with bronze bushings and oiling to the roller tip. Very nice parts.

Attached picture 5803355-RASarms.jpg
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/14/10 07:10 AM

I read this thread back in the beginning, didn't realize there was this much info here now.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/14/10 04:13 PM

I've seen similar results with the tensioners others have brought to me...I will never use one EVER!!
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/14/10 05:03 PM

This build is perfect for my D100! Do those new Comp roller lifters require bronze bushings? What bearing clearances are you running? Any block oiling modifications? Decided on an oil pump yet? Sorry for all the questions, LOL

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 05:07 AM

Quote:

BLP (Bo Laws) makes steel AN 3/8" to -10 & -12 like you were looking for.... About 4.4" long.

I got the fittings from BLP. Nice quality stuff, thanks for the tip.

Attached picture 5813852-oil_fittings.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 05:07 AM

On the engine

Attached picture 5813856-fittings.jpg
Posted By: dart6

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 09:46 AM

Hi Andy did you use the 12 an and what are the allen screws on sides for
thanks

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 04:07 PM

Yes, I'll use #12 AN on the dyno but I think that car is plumbed for #10.

I don't know what the set screws are for, maybe a place to hang a oil pressure gauge or maybe a handy place to plumb in the valve spring oilers or something.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 04:20 PM

Quote:

Here is a picture of the tensioner after just a few hours of operation.

The tensioners definitely don't like alot of rpm, this is not the first I've heard of that issue.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 05:39 PM

I'm sure the style of chain is a big variable. The parts from the last engine show four grooves that clearly match the tie bars in the chain. A link style chain will have a much smoother backside and should work just fine with a tensioner.

The new chain that I'm putting in this 427 is from Pro Gear and it is smoother on the back than the Comp Cams chain that was in there. But I still decided to skip the tensioner on this build.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 06:24 PM

Oh yeah, a link style chain will act alot less like a chainsaw. That was going to be my next comment, but I didn't think anyone would ever want to use a stock style chain, so....
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/18/10 09:09 PM

I have checked 3 different engines that use the tensioner with no wear at all. But I only use IWIS flat link chains

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 04:55 AM

Engine is getting closer to the dyno. Have a couple of nagging problems. Oil pan gasket doesn't fit very well and neither did the intake gaskets. Just little things but they chew up time to fix.

Attached picture 5822466-427.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 05:34 AM

I figured this belongs over in this thread rather than the one about gaskets...

Quote:

We have a few different pans for the motor. Kevko, Milodon, dry sump, etc. Probably going to end up with a custom built Kevko by the time we're done.

Are you going with a pan that sit no lower than the K-member? There's people interested in this kind of pan if Kevko make it available.

Would a Milodon big block road race pan bottom work if adapted to a small block pan? Or would anything with side kick outs run into header issues? Milodon says the big block road race pan sells, but they have have no current interest in a small block one. Maybe some persuasion??

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 06:48 AM

Tim has designed a low profile pan with kickouts that fits in his chassis. Should have it in a week or so and we'll see how it fits. The last Kevko pan fit okay and had some really nice features as well as a few minor problems.

The Milodon hangs too low for the car but it will be a nice dyno pan. The dry sump pan doesn't fit in the chassis. I think we need to go dry sump in the long run but that isn't what we're doing this time around.

I think the big block road race pan lower assembly could be welded to a SB pan. I've thought of doing it myself but haven't done it. I've thought of asking Milodon to do it but haven't yet. Moroso can also build something that will work as could Charlie. Just need a drawing, some money and some time!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 07:24 AM

Quote:

Tim has designed a low profile pan with kickouts that fits in his chassis. Should have it in a week or so and we'll see how it fits. The last Kevko pan fit okay and had some really nice features as well as a few minor problems.

Could they put it in production with a price like their brand X road race pans? Do you think it's good enough to not need an accusump for??

Quote:

I think the big block road race pan lower assembly could be welded to a SB pan. I've thought of doing it myself but haven't done it. I've thought of asking Milodon to do it but haven't yet.

I've asked Milodon. But I think he needs to see other more qualified demand. And maybe if you were doing a magazine article to get the word out?? I could schlep over a whole loose K-member and steering for trail fiting. He's probably got a block. They are about 2 mile away. Plus I see him at club meetings.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 02:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I got the fittings from BLP. Nice quality stuff, thanks for the tip.

OK what part # are your fittings and R they Aluminum or steel? Matt

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 03:30 PM

Steel fittings. Part numbers are on their website.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 03:31 PM

I'll ask Ken at Milodon if they are willing to do a small block road race pan for the project we're working on.
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 05:16 PM

Only pulled 1 motor apart W/ torn up tensioner, I assume it was from lack of assembly lube on chain/tensioner when it was assembled (I did'nt build it originally, so I don't know for sure). I have same one on a circle track motor for past 5 years..... 7600-7800 RPM all night long with a rollmaster. It looks same today as day I installed it first time. You need to lube the hell out of chain/tensioner when assembling... The chains hardly get any oil, so break in is where the issue is going to come in @, can't install one dry & expect it to live. Just my I put one on every engine that I build with a chain....

Motor looks good as always Andy.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/22/10 08:22 PM

Could've been a lube thing. One this motor we drilled a small hole in the camshaft thrust plate to spray oil inside the timing chain cover. I don't think the last motor had that mod so maybe it ran a little dry.

One thing I've learned over the years about building motors is that the little tiny details really matter! All it takes is one tiny issue in the wrong place and everything can come undone in a hurry.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/23/10 08:08 AM

Quote:

I'll ask Ken at Milodon if they are willing to do a small block road race pan for the project we're working on.

I can offer Ken early or late k-members, steering linkage, steering gears, a 68 Dart w/small block... Our office I work from is 3 buildings over from Milodon and I live about 2 miles away. Steve, the owner, is in our car club and I know him well.

What is the basic design of the pan your are thinking of: headers that will fit, stock k-member fitment, trap doors, baffle system ...? I can work on pre orders from Mopax list Mopar racers that need this type of pan that priced, $379, like thier big block pan.

Milodon Big Block pan reference picture:

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/23/10 03:51 PM

I'd think most people would be running TTi headers on a car like this with stock steering. People are usually willing to open up the K frame a bit for more clearance but not change the steering or change headers.

The big block road race pan is a really nice design but it might be too wide for small block headers. I don't have the car in my shop at the moment so I can't do any measurements right now.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/23/10 05:23 PM

Quote:

I'd think most people would be running TTi headers on a car like this with stock steering. People are usually willing to open up the K frame a bit for more clearance but not change the steering or change headers.

TTI or Thorley. Mostly TTI. How much opening up of the K-member? Modifying the lip a little for clearance or making a square cutout like some do for drag pans. I think the more cutting, the more you limit your buying audiance.

They say the big block road race pans sell well. I don't know of anyone really running big block and road racing/autox it. The market for the big block road race is sort of a mystery to me. I wonder if people buy them just to HAVE an aftermarket pan AND good ground clearance.

Quote:

The big block road race pan is a really nice design but it might be too wide for small block headers. I don't have the car in my shop at the moment so I can't do any measurements right now.

Good point, I worry about that. I wish they had a bare big block bottom that could be quickly mocked up against the assembled with headers deplay motor at TTI. Something quick just to check feasiblity.

Andy, do you think a pan like this could eliminate the need of an accusump? Or it's need at certain levels.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 02/25/10 05:32 PM

I don't suppose one of those pan setups would fit a 64-66 A-body too, would it?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/08/10 06:04 AM

Almost ready to go.

Attached picture 5851802-cover.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/08/10 06:40 AM

Quote:

Almost ready to go.

Is that water pump just for the dyno?

What about Tim's copper tubing breather system? I guess that doesn't look cool for magazine pics.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/08/10 03:39 PM

Electric water pump is just for the dyno. I don't know if Tim is going to stick with the copper tube setup for the breathers or not. I have some Milodon covers with breathers that I think would work. We'll just have to see once we get the engine in the car.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/08/10 08:47 PM

Ran into one more issue with the R3 block. There is some extra material on these blocks that gets in the way of the rivet on the Cometic gaskets. So lesson learned the hard way! One new set of Cometic gaskets is on order.

Attached picture 5852675-rivet.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/19/10 02:38 AM

Engine is on the dyno and making pulls. Seems like a nice little motor so far. Sounds really healthy, no leaks and no problems. Looks like she'll make 525/525. Lots of torque down low and carries 500 ft-lbs up to 5000 rpm. Should really make that Valiant jump out of the corners and pull hard down the straights.

Attached picture 5874148-dyno.jpg
Posted By: hp340nos

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/19/10 03:42 AM

what size carb/jetting are u using?thanks mike

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/19/10 05:15 AM

Carb in the dyno picture is a Braswell 750 high flow. I'll put the BLP 650 on there next to get dialed in. The car will run with the BLP 650 at the track. I'll also try my Holley 1000HP if I get time just to see if there is any difference in power.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/20/10 02:31 AM

AndyF,

How are we looking for a April 15th day in So Cal for some track time and media exposure on the car?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/20/10 05:35 PM

Sorry Steve,

I really wanted to attend SFSF4 but its's just not gonna happen this year. I considered attending with car in current form but the 1000 mi (one way) tow, and other constraints prevent it from happening. I will miss it, but hopefully have the car fully dialed in and ready for next year.

Tim W

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/20/10 06:09 PM

Quote:

Sorry Steve,

I really wanted to attend SFSF4 but its's just not gonna happen this year. I considered attending with car in current form but the 1000 mi (one way) tow, and other constraints prevent it from happening. I will miss it, but hopefully have the car fully dialed in and ready for next year.

Tim W

I figured you'd only come if the new motor was in the car and ready to go. Hopefully next time you can stretch out the new bullet on those long straights at Willow Springs.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/21/10 04:18 AM

Got some new parts from PRW the other day. Polished water pump and sheet metal valve covers. Figured some of you SB guys might be interested.

Attached picture 5878096-PRWparts.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/21/10 04:39 AM

We ran the new MSD e-curve distributor on the dyno with just a coil and no ignition box. It seemed to work just fine. The e-curve is a fun ignition to play with. It has 100 different ignition curves built in. It has an electronic vacuum advance as well as electronic advance that is rpm sensitive. It also has a built in rev limiter and it can be run locked out with a start retard.

The MSD tech line recommended the 8207 coil so I fabricated a little bracket to hang it on the intake manifold mounts.

Attached picture 5878132-MSD.jpg
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/22/10 02:45 AM

That GM sized distributor sure looks fat, could be a problem on some A-bodies, and B-bodies. If there is a BB version it might interfere with heads. They need to make the electronics fit into standard mopar diameter dizzy.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:40 PM

Getting ready to drop the new 427 into the Valiant. First step was unloading the Valiant at my shop.

Attached picture 6081241-trailer.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:41 PM

We scaled the car as a first step so we can track the changes. The car should be about 100 lbs lighter with the new parts but we'll have to see how it works out.

Attached picture 6081245-weigh.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:42 PM

Time to thrash.

Attached picture 6081247-thrash.jpg
Posted By: tboomer

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:44 PM

Car is looking great,Andy!!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:45 PM

Old drivetrain weighed 670 lbs. This is a 360 with iron heads and a cast iron four speed.

Attached picture 6081250-scale_engine.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 02:48 PM

The 427 engine weighs 450 lbs. I don't have a drivetrain total yet but I'm thinking it will be about 600 lbs once we bolt on the trans, bellhousing, clutch, etc.

Attached picture 6081254-weigh_427.jpg
Posted By: fishy340

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 03:06 PM

i know someone with the block ur lookin for 340 rest cheap and new

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/12/10 05:36 PM

Thanks, but I'm not looking for a block. I could use a full time mechanic though to put these projects together!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/14/10 03:01 PM

Here is the 427 ready to drop into the car. Custom road race oil pan from Charlie, Quicktime bellhousing, Passon aluminum case tranny, Hughes CNC heads, TTi headers, etc.

Attached picture 6085247-427.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/14/10 03:02 PM

In she goes!

Attached picture 6085249-install.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/14/10 06:40 PM

Andy, is there a build thread on the Valiant itself?
Posted By: RichV

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/14/10 07:40 PM

Quote:

Old drivetrain weighed 670 lbs. This is a 360 with iron heads and a cast iron four speed.

Andy,

I have never understood what good is does to put the PCV that close to a breather. The PCV can not pull any crankcase vacuum because the airflow from the breather to the PCV has very little flow resistance. Does the filter for the breather also have a check valve that only allows outflow of air?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/14/10 07:49 PM

I don't know how effective that PCV arrangement is. That breather setup was the result of a bunch of frustration with other systems that leaked oil during sustained cornering. I'm sure the design could be improved even more if we wanted to spend time on it. If it was my design I'd probably focus on weight reduction as the next step.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 04:12 AM

Rich- system does work in that it keeps oil in the motor instead of spewing out a valve cover. BTDT
My intent wasn't to create a vacuum in the crankcase. I just copied what someone else did that worked for them. As Andy said, it could probably be improved upon.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 05:26 AM

Quote:

I don't know how effective that PCV arrangement is. That breather setup was the result of a bunch of frustration with other systems that leaked oil during sustained cornering. I'm sure the design could be improved even more if we wanted to spend time on it. If it was my design I'd probably focus on weight reduction as the next step.

Copper tubing reminds us that this is a home built car dones for function and purpose. Same for the front air dam some might recognize for it's other application.

But for a magazine article, painted all grey or something would probably work and look fine.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 05:34 AM

Did you guys get a weight reduction total for the drive train? Or are you saving that for the article (totally understandable).

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 02:30 PM

We're shooting for 100 lbs weight reduction but don't actually know where we'll end up.

Time is the issue at the moment so some weight reduction opportunities are being bypassed to save time.

The new Charlie's oil pan fits nice and looks like it is going to work really well. Not sure if you can see much of it in the pictures posted so far but figured you might be interested in that detail.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 02:33 PM

Quote:

Copper tubing reminds us that this is a home built car dones for function and purpose. Same for the front air dam some might recognize for it's other application.

But for a magazine article, painted all grey or something would probably work and look fine.

Yeah, it is a low buck car with a $20,000 motor!! (and $3000 brakes!)

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 03:20 PM

Quote:

The new Charlie's oil pan fits nice and looks like it is going to work really well. Not sure if you can see much of it in the pictures posted so far but figured you might be interested in that detail.

Thanks for the pan pictures. That 73-76 K-member really screws thing up.

Quote:

But all for function and purpose. It doesn't have some pro touring air bag system or narrow bling front tires or 10K interior upholstery job.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/15/10 11:16 PM

Quote:

No thread but I am writing a book that will feature lots of stuff from the Valiant build.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/16/10 12:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No thread but I am writing a book that will feature lots of stuff from the Valiant build.

Cool, thanks! I've always wanted to build a 66 Valiant similar to this.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/30/10 03:00 PM

Tim took the car for some shake down runs the other night. Says he can feel the additional 100 hp. I weighed the car after he brought it back and it is now 3130 lbs with a 55/45 split. Original weight was 3250 with a 56/44 split. So we took off about 100 lbs and most of it came off the nose. Still need to fix a few things before heading to the track on Monday.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/30/10 03:06 PM

The combination of the BLP carb and the MSD ready to run distributor make tuning a lot easier. The BLP carb has fully jetted metering blocks so we can quickly dial it in. The MSD lets you change the advance curve by just turning a screwdriver. I just changed from 15 initial and 20 in the distributor to 20 initial and 15 in the distributor. Took less than 90 seconds to do that. With an old MP distributor you would be there half the day taking the thing apart and welding up the slots.

Attached picture 6113064-enginebay.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/31/10 01:55 AM

Quote:

Tim took the car for some shake down runs the other night. Says he can feel the additional 100 hp. I weighed the car after he brought it back and it is now 3130 lbs with a 55/45 split. Original weight was 3250 with a 56/44 split. So we took off about 100 lbs and most of it came off the nose. Still need to fix a few things before heading to the track on Monday.

3130 lbs and 100 more HP...

I gotta long way to go...

Attached picture 6113840-Hotchkis7_26_10TVSbuildMed17a.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/31/10 02:40 AM

Quote:

Cool! Please keep us updated.

Sounds small but that's a SIGNIFICANT change!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/31/10 03:05 AM

Quote:

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 07/31/10 10:31 PM

Peak power for engine from the dyno sheets is at 5800 rpm. 5800 rpm in this car with the existing gear ratios and tire size is 150 mph. Guess we'll see what happens on Monday at the track. The back straight at PIR is long enough to carry full throttle for some time. Not sure if the car will go 150 though, that would be really hauling.

The car has plenty of power. I went for a ride today with the wide band setup in my lap. Tim punched it a few times and the car really gets up and goes. Very impressive for 2.94 rear end gears.

Attached picture 6115108-engine_finish.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/01/10 09:09 AM

Quote:

Peak power for engine from the dyno sheets is at 5800 rpm. 5800 rpm in this car with the existing gear ratios and tire size is 150 mph. Guess we'll see what happens on Monday at the track. The back straight at PIR is long enough to carry full throttle for some time. Not sure if the car will go 150 though, that would be really hauling.

The car has plenty of power. I went for a ride today with the wide band setup in my lap. Tim punched it a few times and the car really gets up and goes. Very impressive for 2.94 rear end gears.

Good luck with the car on Monday. Hope you get some good track time and testing in. Looks like good weather.

Go get'm Tim!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/01/10 07:59 PM

http://pirlive.com/

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 01:00 AM

Car went 145 mph on the shakedown run. Tim says it had plenty left in it. Engine developed an oil leak so that ended the fun for the day.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 07:11 AM

Quote:

Car went 145 mph on the shakedown run. Tim says it had plenty left in it. Engine developed an oil leak so that ended the fun for the day.

Awesome! That thing was movin' for a shakedown run.

What did he feel the potentional MPH at that track with current setup?
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 12:02 PM

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 03:41 PM

Should go 150 mph at this track. Might be a little faster at Willow.

The oiling system needs to be improved though. We thought the new pan would solve the problems but the car is faster and more powerful so the oiling issues have returned.

A dry sump would solve the problems but there probably isn't enough room to fit it all in there.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 06:18 PM

Any teaser pictures you can release of the Valiant at the track yesterday?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 07:34 PM

Can I talk you into putting a Fiberglass hood on that car?

That is a BITCHEN car! I want!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 08:29 PM

Here is a picture from the pits yesterday.

Attached picture 6120690-pits.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 08:32 PM

Quote:

Can I talk you into putting a Fiberglass hood on that car?

That is a BITCHEN car! I want!

A glass hood would be a good idea. The steel hood weighs 40 lbs and it limits the air cleaner clearance. A TA style hood or a cowl induction is probably what I'd put on the car.

Tim would in the mood to sell the car yesterday after the oil leak put him on the trailer early. Get your offer in there before he changes his mind and you might just have yourself one of the few Valiants that will hit 150mph on a road race course.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 10:21 PM

Andy would you care to elaborate on the oiling issues? Where is the leak? You said that an old oiling issue has recurred now that the car has more power and therefore faster. What do think is going on? Oil starvation due to "G" loadings? Accusump can't keep up? I am sure you guys will get it sorted out.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/03/10 11:44 PM

Oiling issues have always been a problem. Whenever the car goes faster the issues come back. Nothing unusual about that, oiling issues have always been a problem for wet sump road race cars.

Tim has tried a bunch of different oil pans over the years as well as different valve covers, dipsticks, breathers, etc. Whenever the performance increases then the g-loads increase and the oiling issues come back.

A dry sump system should solve all of the problems but it costs a bunch and then it all has to be packaged into the car. It isn't easy or cheap but it should solve the various issues that we're seeing.

It is really difficult to package a good oil pan into a stock chassis with headers and a low ride height. Nobody makes a good road race oil pan for these cars so each one needs to be custom built which takes time and money. The R&D process is a little painful when the engine has to be pulled out each time to change the pan.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/04/10 01:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought that was what you were referring to. No doubt about it trying to build a low profile wet sump pan that fits in a confined space and still provides a good oil supply under high "G" loadings isn't easy. Hope you find an affordable solution. Still curious, where was the engine leaking?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/04/10 07:05 AM

Teardown is yet to occur, appears to be leaking from rear of pan. This is a custom Charlies pan, and he did a nice job. Its my own design to maintain ground clearance its not very deep, but even with kickouts and Accusump its not enough.

The pan doesn't use a gasket. 100% RTV all the way round. Yes, it was hospital clean at assembly, wiped down with brakleen several times. Beads on both sides, squished out nice on assembly. Worked great in the past.

With the old motor the car was about as fast as a C5 Z06, should be able to run with a C6 Z06 once sorted out. Brakes surpassed expectations, never a shortage of power, it just kept pulling as if the wind wasn't there.

Andy's on the right path, I'm ready for something different. If he is willing to unload the 427 motor, I might have a roller for sale.

Tim

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/04/10 09:04 AM

Quote:

Teardown is yet to occur, appears to be leaking from rear of pan. This is a custom Charlies pan, and he did a nice job. Its my own design to maintain ground clearance its not very deep, but even with kickouts and Accusump its not enough.

The pan doesn't use a gasket. 100% RTV all the way round. Yes, it was hospital clean at assembly, wiped down with brakleen several times. Beads on both sides, squished out nice on assembly. Worked great in the past.

With the old motor the car was about as fast as a C5 Z06, should be able to run with a C6 Z06 once sorted out. Brakes surpassed expectations, never a shortage of power, it just kept pulling as if the wind wasn't there.

That's really incredible.

Quote:

Andy's on the right path, I'm ready for something different. If he is willing to unload the 427 motor, I might have a roller for sale.

Tim

Please don't sell it over a leak and lack of a pan. Hotchkis had a custom aluminum Moroso pan that leaked also. They went back and forth, still leaked. It was on their self collecting dust.

I'm workin' on a pan deal. Just getting caught up after pulling two motor/trans' and installing one in a two week period out of a home garage and a complete new suspension on the car.

You've probably got the fastest road race street Mopar in the world right now. Wait until the article comes out and you get some well deserved recognition. You've conquered these challenges in the past. And you will get by this on too.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/04/10 09:25 PM

I might be interested in that car as a roller, or possibly with the motor. PM me a price. Ron.

Or,

dragrcr97@charter.net

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/04/10 11:45 PM

Ron,

If you're interested in the red '68 Valiant the owner is auto-xr who posted above. You addressed your post back to autoxcuda who has a different A body car. Just trying to be clear about which car you are talking about.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/05/10 02:09 AM

You guys might like this picture. The car was cornering so hard that one of the dust caps came off the spindle. I haven't seen that before. I've seen hubcaps come off a lot but a dust cap is really light.

Attached picture 6123144-dust_cap.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/05/10 02:20 AM

I can see where you might have some "G" loading related oiling issues. Has Tim ever had a "G Meter" on it? Definitely an impressive machine.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/05/10 02:34 AM

Have you ever used GE silicone primer? Might be worth a try.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/05/10 02:38 AM

Didn't the old One Lap Valiant have problems cracking the TSW wheels it originally (and briefly) used? BTW, love the 427 emblem!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/13/10 07:35 PM

There is an article in the October 2010 issue of Mopar Muscle that covers the shortblock. Just showed up in my mailbox yesterday.
Posted By: 65signet

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 08/13/10 09:15 PM

I got my issue a couple of days ago, nice article

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/07/10 04:52 AM

Quote:

Oiling issues have always been a problem. Whenever the car goes faster the issues come back. Nothing unusual about that, oiling issues have always been a problem for wet sump road race cars.

Tim has tried a bunch of different oil pans over the years as well as different valve covers, dipsticks, breathers, etc. Whenever the performance increases then the g-loads increase and the oiling issues come back.

A dry sump system should solve all of the problems but it costs a bunch and then it all has to be packaged into the car. It isn't easy or cheap but it should solve the various issues that we're seeing.

It is really difficult to package a good oil pan into a stock chassis with headers and a low ride height. Nobody makes a good road race oil pan for these cars so each one needs to be custom built which takes time and money. The R&D process is a little painful when the engine has to be pulled out each time to change the pan.

**AndyF not trying to hijack your thread, but I think this is revelant since your current situation is the oil pan. And I think one of these pans is or was sent up to you**

I've been working with Milodon since May on a small block Mopar pro touring/high capacity-stock height/road race pans similar to the other road race pans they make like the big block Mopar one, pn 31580. Many people use that big block road race pan on their HiPo street cars to get a pan that does not go past their K-member and get smashed, but still has increased capacity and advanced oil control. This pan is actually a little shorter than even a stock pan for ultimate low ground clearance situations!!

It just took about 2 years of needling Milodon to do this, so I want to get the word out. They really stepped up the plate with this.

These 318/340 and 360 pans just came out last Friday and available NOW!: http://www.milodon.com/oil-pans/road-race-oil-pans.asp

One of the requirements I felt for this new pan was fitting A-bodies as well as B and E bodies. And the toughest requirement was fitting the super-duper tight 73-76 A-body spool K-member. The spool motor mounts create a wall of K-member right down the bottom of the pan. So we tested the pan extensively with a 73-76 K-member with full steering linkage. Just fitting the pan to E and B bodies would have been easy, but the A’s would be left out.

I have also ran dry on oil in my Barracuda with a just a stock pan at the track. My car was not anywhere near as fast as Tim’s 68 Valiant. Stock small block pans have NO BAFFLING whatsoever. Most big block Mopar HP and a lot of non HP pans have some baffling front and rear. None for any small block, ever. My new 416 stroker SB WILL have this new Milodon SB pan.

Point is, any somewhat serious pro touring or suspension mod car you should think about protecting the motor with a baffled pan designed for high sustained G’s. Also this pan should be considered for someone that wants an increased capacity Small Block pan, but does not want to deal with a pan that sit anything below the K-member.

This pan is a serious handling, road race piece. Some of the features of this NEW pan:

-Side pods for 6 quarts of oil
-FIVE trap door/gates
-3 braking deacceleration gates to keep oil around the sump under hard braking
-2 lateral G gates
-fully baffled sump for complete oil control
-false right angle wall at back of sump to keep oil from very rear of pan. Also allows more centerlink clearance for possible lowered motors.
-decades of SCCA road race proven sump design features in this pan.
-fully TIG welded construction
-Made right here in USA

This pan should not need the band aid of an accusump reserve system. Unless of course there is a weak link somewhere else in the oiling system. I know $450 is a lot for an oil pan. But look at a $200 drag race pan with the bucket welded under them. Then look at all pictures I took of the gates, ledges, baffles, custom sump, weld quality, construction quality of this Road Race pan and I think you will understand some of the $$$ differences.

These new small block pans will be on display at Fall Fling October 30, 2010 and at SEMA.

These are some quick pictures when I went over there after work. The lights were all off in the manufacturing area...

Attached picture 6237493-MilodonSBRoadRacePan14a.JPG

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/18/10 04:07 AM

The Milodon road race pan showed up the other day so we've been working on getting it installed. The pan looks great and I'm sure it will solve the oiling issues we've been having with Tim's car. We haven't figured out how to get the motor into the car with the pan installed on it though. It doesn't drop into place in the usual way so we'll need to figure out another way to do it.

Attached picture 6255842-milodon.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/18/10 10:01 AM

Quote:

....Any block oiling modifications? Decided on an oil pump yet? Sorry for all the questions, LOL

Bringing this back up since I am working on my block's oiling passages right now. I just ported the oil filter block area passages, main cap to pump, and inside the pump. Just a melling HV unit

Other areas for improvement/concern?
Posted By: patrick

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 03:21 PM

Quote:

The Milodon road race pan showed up the other day so we've been working on getting it installed. The pan looks great and I'm sure it will solve the oiling issues we've been having with Tim's car. We haven't figured out how to get the motor into the car with the pan installed on it though. It doesn't drop into place in the usual way so we'll need to figure out another way to do it.

drop the K and install it going up?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 03:44 PM

Yes, that would work. But it is a lot of extra work to drop the K frame every time.

We'll probably swap over to a '72 style K frame in the car so we can use this pan.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 04:50 PM

Install the motor without the trans connected?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 05:46 PM

Aftermarket k-frame?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 06:17 PM

Quote:

Install the motor without the trans connected?

I don't think that helps. I mocked it up and it didn't look like it would fit even without a bellhousing but I'll double check that this weekend when I have more time.
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/20/10 06:37 PM

what is the interference point exactly?
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/22/10 10:32 PM

Try raising the rear of the car as far as a regular floor jack will go,
I can do swaps single handed when I do this on engine/trans installs.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/23/10 08:04 AM

Just got my Milodon SB road race pan this morning.

Any Small Block tube front chassis drag racers going to SEMA should check out the Milodon booth. They were getting their show displays with new products ready.

Attached picture 6264631-Stroker10_22_10Sm5.JPG
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/23/10 03:43 PM

Amdy, i think i commented very early on that id prefer a shorter stroke for road racing, i know first hand that lot of cobra guys that road race have troubles similar to yours with 4" and larger strokes where as the 3.7" motors seem to race fine. My theory is its the compression braking during decelleration a longer stroke acts like a bigger compression brake and with hot cylinders and lowering ( op is also decellerating) oil pressure it starts to make even more problems for the alreafy taxed oil sump snd system. I could be wrong.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 10/25/10 06:19 AM

Some people were worried about this...

Milodon pan to TTI header clearance pics. TTI Part # TTI340A-C0 to C5 (coating options)

Fits with about 3/16" clearance without pan gaskets, without cylinder head gasket, and without header gaskets. That was about double the clearance from the header tube to the rear pan area.

When you add up all the gasket it should have the same clearance that the TTI headers have to the rear part of any stock based pan. Milodon advised to header wrap the area in the rear for any pan. Now for this road race pan just extend that wrap to the bend of the tube.

Passenger side as no issues.

Attached picture 6267583-10_24_10Sm20.JPG
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 11/15/10 08:24 PM

Quote:

what is the interference point exactly?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/07/10 07:39 AM

The Doug's D453 header has a little more clearance around the oil pan than the TTi header.

Attached picture 6342962-dougs.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/07/10 07:43 AM

Passenger side also has plenty of clearance with the Doug's D453 header.

Attached picture 6342966-dougsp.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/08/10 07:05 AM

The Doug's D453 headers are also 8 lbs lighter than the TTi headers. That might not matter to most people, but 8 lbs off the front of a track day car is a plus.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 12/08/10 07:33 AM

Quote:

The Doug's D453 headers are also 8 lbs lighter than the TTi headers. That might not matter to most people, but 8 lbs off the front of a track day car is a plus.

I question why they're lighter, if the basic tube layout is the same, gotta be thinner tubes and flanges, not exactly a plus in my book. Weight in weight, but some places I can stand a few extra pounds for longevity and durability.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/03/11 06:09 PM

Quote:

The combination of the BLP carb and the MSD ready to run distributor make tuning a lot easier. The BLP carb has fully jetted metering blocks so we can quickly dial it in. The MSD lets you change the advance curve by just turning a screwdriver. I just changed from 15 initial and 20 in the distributor to 20 initial and 15 in the distributor. Took less than 90 seconds to do that. With an old MP distributor you would be there half the day taking the thing apart and welding up the slots.

Andy how close are the distributor plug boots to the 2 speed wiper motor?

I just bought a MSD E-curve and the boots are 1/2" from my 3 speed wiper motor. So... to take my cap off I have to remove 2-3 wire boots. Lame, because the whole idea of the E-curve was to make quick and each distributor adjustments.

From info I've got this E-curve is 1" taller than a regular MSD billet distributor. Can others confirm this?

Seems to be extremely poor planning and R&D on MSD's part. I don't really think this is 100% racer oriented piece where you would assume owners would not be running windsheild wipers.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/03/11 09:32 PM

Yes, it is pretty close to the wiper motor. I think we did have to pull a couple of plug wires to take the cap off. I didn't mind though, the tuning process is still dramatically faster than with an old school distributor. Just pull the cap and dial up a different advance curve. We tried several different advance curves in Tim's car before we hit on one that really worked.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/03/11 10:51 PM

Quote:

Yes, it is pretty close to the wiper motor. I think we did have to pull a couple of plug wires to take the cap off. I didn't mind though, the tuning process is still dramatically faster than with an old school distributor. Just pull the cap and dial up a different advance curve. We tried several different advance curves in Tim's car before we hit on one that really worked.

I wish I would have asked more specifically to the previous post. That made my buying decision.

Is there some reason this distributor is 1" taller than their other billet MSD's?? A good reason would make me feel better.

Of course now I find this post on their site:
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12848

This was the MSD tech's response...
Quote:

1)on the height issue, unfortunately the distributor is 8 3/8 tall. which if you do a search or look in a catalog it will list all the specs.

and check that isse of the clearance issue with the firewall and throttle first.

It's $377 distributor. That's $170 extra (almost double) over thier non E-curve model that is shorter and has good access for adjustment!!

It wouldn't bother me if this was just one of thier regular pro billet distributors. But THE KEY feature of the E-curve they brag about is quick and easy adjustment. And the fact that at least 1/2 of the potential market is effected by this design issue.
Posted By: Mattax

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/04/11 03:13 AM

Dang that's serious $ for a distributor Steve. Any chance you can send back?
Yes. Its all about time vs. money. I got to a point where I could remove the distributor, tweek the springs, reinstall and test the curve pretty darn quick. Probably down to 30 - 45 minutes each go around. That's with a Mallory built dizzy. I'm still not that fast with the little clip inside the Chrysler units.

Hey hows the engine install into the car with the oil pan on?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/04/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

Dang that's serious $ for a distributor ...

Agreed. I'd rather set up 4 or 5 stock distributors with different specs and just swap them out. That's partly because I have a pile of them though.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/04/11 04:33 AM

on the weight of the tti headers...
tti has some seriously thick tube wall..
doubt theyll be rusting through anytime soon.
cheapst

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/10/11 05:35 AM

The engine builder has the 427 back together and we're ready to get it back on the dyno. He had to spend a fair amount of time getting the windage tray to both clear the big stroke and the road race pan. It all fits but it has to be tucked in there just right.

We'll focus mostly on some step testing and steady state runs. Maybe do a power pull or two just to see what she makes. I'd be surprised if the new oil pan changes the power output but it is possible. Mostly we're just making sure there aren't any leaks or other problems before the engine goes back in the car.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/10/11 08:26 AM

Quote:

The engine builder has the 427 back together and we're ready to get it back on the dyno. He had to spend a fair amount of time getting the windage tray to both clear the big stroke and the road race pan. It all fits but it has to be tucked in there just right.

We'll focus mostly on some step testing and steady state runs. Maybe do a power pull or two just to see what she makes. I'd be surprised if the new oil pan changes the power output but it is possible. Mostly we're just making sure there aren't any leaks or other problems before the engine goes back in the car.

What brand main studs did you use? We had to cut them down flush for the 4.0 stroke crank. We also dimpled the shallow cutout of the pan. And we didn't use the pickup tube to cap support strap.

Attached picture 6521996-11_6_10Sm19.JPG

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/12/11 05:43 AM

I used ARP main studs. The ARP studs have a hex broached in the end so they are a little nicer to work with. We had to notch the pan for the windage tray nuts so it took some effort to get everything to fit.

It ran nice on the dyno today. No leaks anywhere after plenty of stress testing, valve lash looked good, cranking compression is identical in all 8 holes, plugs look good. So she should be ready to drop back in the car so Tim can take it to the track this summer.

Attached picture 6525519-dyno.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/12/11 06:58 AM

Quote:

I used ARP main studs. The ARP studs have a hex broached in the end so they are a little nicer to work with. We had to notch the pan for the windage tray nuts so it took some effort to get everything to fit.

Were did you notch? The same two I dimpled? Pics?

Quote:

It ran nice on the dyno today. No leaks anywhere after plenty of stress testing, valve lash looked good, cranking compression is identical in all 8 holes, plugs look good. So she should be ready to drop back in the car so Tim can take it to the track this summer.

Did you do something different to it since the last dyno test you did to it?

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/12/11 08:32 AM

I didn't take any pics of the windage tray mods. The engine builder did the work and he had it all together before I showed up with the camera.

Main change since last time on the dyno was the oil pan. Also changed the valve covers in an attempt to stop the various oil leaks. Ran a belt driven water pump this time so we chould check for leaks but it didn't seem to cost any power. Engine still made almost identical power to a year ago even though the dyno cell had seen a number of changes. Power curve is very similiar to a Viper, 520/520.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/12/11 03:56 PM

Quote:

I didn't take any pics of the windage tray mods. The engine builder did the work and he had it all together before I showed up with the camera.

Main change since last time on the dyno was the oil pan. Also changed the valve covers in an attempt to stop the various oil leaks. Ran a belt driven water pump this time so we chould check for leaks but it didn't seem to cost any power. Engine still made almost identical power to a year ago even though the dyno cell had seen a number of changes. Power curve is very similiar to a Viper, 520/520.

Oh, you meant notch the windage tray. I thought you meant notch the oil pan.

Was this at the pick up tube to windage tray area? We did that too.
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/13/11 12:29 AM

Great read a keeper for sure, thanks!

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 03/13/11 02:40 AM

The top of the oil baffles in the pan had to be notched to clear the windage tray studs. The oil pickup tab had to be cut off and relocated. The windage tray had to be cut down in the front and re-welded, cut down in the back, and cut on the sides to clear the main caps. All in all it took about 10 hours of work to get the windage tray, pickup and oil pan to fit this engine.

It all seemed to work just fine on the dyno. Next step is to see how it works in the car.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/03/11 01:59 AM

June issue of Mopar Muscle has a follow up feature on this engine as well as a few pics of the car.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/03/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

June issue of Mopar Muscle has a follow up feature on this engine as well as a few pics of the car.

Awesome!!

I just took my 416 on it's maiden voyage last night. Gobs of torque. Glad I took Tim Werner's advice and went single plane for this kind of application. I think I'm going to have to be careful getting on the throttle on corner exits.

What is your feeling on running a PCV for this? I've heard it could be beneficial when getting off the throttle and on the brakes hard??

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/03/11 06:20 AM

I wouldn't bother with a PCV on a track car. Hook it up while street driving just to keep the crud from building up in the engine, but I'd take it off at the track.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/03/11 07:46 PM

Someone sent me this scan of the magazine article. I haven't talked to Tim yet, not sure if he'll like it or not!

Attached picture 6566117-Valiantwheels.jpg

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/04/11 02:13 AM

Why not like it? Who wrote the article? If it was you I think we can assume it's good, if it's regular MM staff...not so much.
Ran

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/04/11 04:32 AM

He might not think the picture is very flattering! We were both a little tired and dirty when I snapped the photo.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/04/11 06:08 AM

Quote:

He might not think the picture is very flattering! We were both a little tired and dirty when I snapped the photo.

I've never worked on a car with a white shirt and light colored pants. Looks pretty clean and spotless to me.

...Put about 150 miles on my new stroker SB since Friday night driving around L.A.. These things are awesome!! Time to change oil, bump timing, and get it out on the track April 14th at Willow Springs!
Posted By: patrick

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/04/11 02:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've never worked on a car with a white shirt and light colored pants. Looks pretty clean and spotless to me.

he's way too clean for it not to be staged

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 04/10/11 05:20 AM

The smirk is from me thinkin...no Andy..Don't put me in the pic.

And it wasn't staged, Andy's shop is just THAT clean. I can get away with wearing those clothes. In my shop they wouldn't last 60 seconds.

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 05/19/11 07:17 AM

The article is posted on the Mopar Muscle website now.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...swap/index.html
Posted By: drago

Re: SB stroker options for track car - 05/19/11 11:39 AM

That Tim fellow has a twin. Jimmy from the Bronksi Beat.

Attached picture 6640665-jimmysommerville.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums