Moparts

How much et loss with mufflers ?

Posted By: Kindafast

How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 05:16 PM

Just wondering how much do your cars pick up or drop off with full exhaust. I have never run mine with exhaust until yesterday and it slowed up bad. I only have 2.5" exhaust and I know that hurts it some but I didn't expect it to lose .4 in the quarter. What are some of your experences?
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 05:18 PM

thats about what mine was...
Posted By: ProSport

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 05:41 PM

My last car ran 9.90 through a 3.5" X-pipe with 3.5" Magnaflows and turnouts. Very quiet and ran 9.90 the same day with open headers.

The 69 Dart Has about 18" of 3.5" pipe, then 3.5" PYPES Race Pro mufflers, and soon to have turnouts.
I thought it would slow the car down without a crossover pipe but in the 1/8 mile it only slowed a hundredth or less.

Here's a vid with the Race Pro mufflers and bad traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKV5j1pG-0
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 05:42 PM

a good exhaust might even pick it up a bit..
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 06:26 PM

Quote:

a good exhaust might even pick it up a bit..

...Phill
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/08/09 11:15 PM

1969 Dart 440,727 12.23 at 109.6 with a set of 2.5 turbo mufflers feeding directly out of a set of Hooker A body (2 inch x 3.5 collectors) fenderwell headers with a short side pipe coming out in front of the rear tires. I removed the exhaust from the headers back and the car ran 11:39 ET at 117.75 MPH on the next run in a 1/4 mile My Duster had the same headers with a three inch pipes feeding to a set of Magnaflow 3.0x14 long oval muffs mounted at the rear bumper and the car only pick up .04 ET and about a 1/4 MPH increase in the 1/8 mile, probally due to the weight removal I haven't tried removing the exhaust at a 1/4 mie track yet on the Duster
Posted By: 383man

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 06:00 AM

Now you really got me wanting to uncap my 63. Ron
Posted By: G_bob

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 06:29 AM

Last saturday picked up almost two tenths.
10.32-34 to 10.14. Also picked up 1.75 mph.
Posted By: BobR

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 07:15 AM

Quote:

IMO this is about right for a full street exhaust of ANY BRAND. Anyone who does not pick up significantly is probably in need of collector extensions and/or jetting/timing changes or just isn't moving a lot of exhaust-aka not making a lot of power.
Posted By: bonefish

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 12:59 PM

on my gtx 493 rb 2in headers into 3 in ex with flowmasters.12.00 full ex.i have side extentions so i can uncap the headers without removing the ex.11.70 un capped.
Posted By: dizuster

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO this is about right for a full street exhaust of ANY BRAND. Anyone who does not pick up significantly is probably in need of collector extensions and/or jetting/timing changes or just isn't moving a lot of exhaust-aka not making a lot of power.

Not necesarilly. If it's got the proper sized exhaust on it, it might not pick up anything.

My Dad's supercharged 340 car has 3.5" mufflers and tail pipes, with flowmasters, and no crossover/x-pipe. The car picks up about .04~.05 which is only due to the weight of the system...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 01:16 PM

My 340 Dart had TTIs, 2.5" exhaust with Flowmaster 40s turned down at the rear axle went from 7.45 (1/8) with to 7.25 without the exhaust. This was on back to back runs maybe 15 minutes apart.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 02:03 PM

After running open exhaust and tuning the carb for it for many years, I installed a 3" TTI X-pipe with Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers terminating at the rear end housing. After removing 60 lbs from elsewhere in the car that the extra exhaust system weighed and tuned on the carb a bit more - going leaner actually, the car picked up at least several hundredths! (Not same day back-to-back, but using detailed record keeping.) So, despite the inconvenience when having to swap transmissions or center sections, the system has remained on the car.

Just like swapping intake manifolds, cams, headers, etc., it depends on the overall package and carb tune-up. A single different part can alter jetting requirements, so only re-tuning & testing to know the best tune-up for each will provide the best comparison between the part changes.

A 2.5" exhaust system would tend to be a choke-point. Going to open headers or a larger exhaust system will likely change the optimum jet sizes as well as squirters. Just different mufflers can have a similar affect because of backpressure changes. (i.e.: A current set-up is a little on the rich side, so it's not "optimized" or as fast as it could be. A change is made that would require a richer tune-up, but it's already richer than the previous set-up needed. So the results appear better than the should be.-----If the previous set-up was too lean and a change was made that needs richer jetting, then the results of the change would be worse than they should be.)

Carb tuning for each change is not easy and is time consuming. But each combo, as well as tune-up, is different and that explains the wide variety of ET changes when adding, changing or removing an exhaust system - as well as other parts.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 02:05 PM

When I had 2.5 Dynomax at 12.00 would be 11.70 open so your right there.
Now My 3" dynomax welded with X pipe on my old 542 .10 and they weigh 55 pounds so .045 and real quiet.
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the info. I guess with what im reading is my car is about average for exhaust vs no exhaust. Plus a real slippery track. No more exhaust for me at the track
Posted By: moparniac

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 04:53 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post4759528
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 05:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info. I guess with what im reading is my car is about average for exhaust vs no exhaust. Plus a real slippery track. No more exhaust for me at the track

Its all about the back pressure in the exhaust, every
bend and which muffs. Some that are saying they picked
up is more than likely the front pipe is helping
the collector being a extension... a off the shelf
header MOST times has a collector thats way too short
so the pipe helps that(of course with a little to
no back pressure muff)
Posted By: DennisJ

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 06:11 PM

My Scamp with a 360,slowed down almost two tenths without the muffs. I installed extensions, but I didn't jet up the carb.

How much more jet do you need with open exhaust?

Dennis Jokela
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/09/09 06:18 PM

Quote:

My Scamp with a 360,slowed down almost two tenths without the muffs. I installed extensions, but I didn't jet up the carb.

How much more jet do you need with open exhaust?

Dennis Jokela

Every car will vary but I normally see 2 jet sizes

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 12:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Its all about the back pressure in the exhaust, every
bend and which muffs. Some that are saying they picked
up is more than likely the front pipe is helping
the collector being a extension... a off the shelf
header MOST times has a collector thats way too short
so the pipe helps that(of course with a little to
no back pressure muff)

Exactly, Mike. Kind of what I said. Some exhaust systems may bandaid a poorly designed/tuned exhaust(primary pipe too big/short-collector too big/short ect). Locomotion, I know you know what's what so I don't have an answer for you. I do know that for classes(non bracket) that don't require an exhaust very seldom is one ever used.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

So you're telling me that a muffled street car should drop 2 tenths just by dropping the exhaust no matter what kind of exhaust system they run?

I tried 2 different lengths of collector extensions and tried re-jetting up and down and timing and could not get the car to run quicker with open headers, that made me very happy so the exhaust never had to be dropped again.

You might be right that the headers may not be perfect but who's gonna try a bunch of different headers to try and beat the times you turned with your exhaust system. And at 134-136 MPH I think that's decent power for a street car.

I think a good exhaust system will not slow a car down.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 12:36 AM

For me,it's not worth the effort involved to remove the exhaust system.I would pick up just with the weight savings

Attached picture 5406872-IMG_1836.JPG
Posted By: G_bob

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 12:50 AM

I make no claims to having a great designed exhaust system.
It's a three inch system with an H-pipe and spintech mufflers.
Definitely not the best flowing when closed as the pipes off the headers are 3.5" that bend to the outside, and then the 3" pipes kind of T-off back to the H and mufflers. Sort of like the stock max wedge system. I'm sure there's got to be some turbulance in that design that hurts performance when the plates are on.

To open them, it's as simple as three nuts off each side and take the plates off.

I think the only savings I'd get from dropping the whole system is the 50 or so lb weight loss.

As said before, with the old motor, on two different back-to-back tests, opening them was worth 3 tenths.
Only back-to-back test with the new motor was 2 tenths.

Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 01:03 AM

Quote:

For me,it's not worth the effort involved to remove the exhaust system.I would pick up just with the weight savings

4 inch collector into 4 inch s/s pipe out to the bumper

Attached picture 5406940-5_10_08_al_exhaust_022.JPG
Posted By: cowbay

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 01:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

4 inch collector into 4 inch s/s pipe out to the bumper

Hemi if you tried to disconect the exhaust you would miss the two test runs in the morning at the track.

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Exactly, Mike. Kind of what I said. Some exhaust systems may bandaid a poorly designed/tuned exhaust(primary pipe too big/short-collector too big/short ect). Locomotion, I know you know what's what so I don't have an answer for you. I do know that for classes(non bracket) that don't require an exhaust very seldom is one ever used.

Just theorizing, but considering all the restrictions we have, including no porting, stock lift, compression & valve sizes, I am thinking that the X-pipe helps scavenging and increased the velocity through the entire engine. As mentioned, when I leaned the carb a bit, it ran better! (Stronger signal to the carb?) The 3" pipes and efficient, straight through mufflers are probably not a restriction for my engine size and rpms. So it helped my combo, in particular, to run better.

But over the years, I have heard of some pretty fast muffled cars. Although some did have what were arguably called "mufflers".
Posted By: moparniac

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 01:59 AM

I took the whole exhaust sytem off my dart about a week ago! It exited behind the car also..., 63.2 lbs

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just theorizing, but considering all the restrictions we have, including no porting, stock lift, compression & valve sizes, I am thinking that the X-pipe helps scavenging and increased the velocity through the entire engine. As mentioned, when I leaned the carb a bit, it ran better! (Stronger signal to the carb?) The 3" pipes and efficient, straight through mufflers are probably not a restriction for my engine size and rpms. So it helped my combo, in particular, to run better.

But over the years, I have heard of some pretty fast muffled cars. Although some did have what were arguably called "mufflers".

Are you using step headers and a merge collector?

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So you're telling me that a muffled street car should drop 2 tenths just by dropping the exhaust no matter what kind of exhaust system they run?

I tried 2 different lengths of collector extensions and tried re-jetting up and down and timing and could not get the car to run quicker with open headers, that made me very happy so the exhaust never had to be dropped again.

You might be right that the headers may not be perfect but who's gonna try a bunch of different headers to try and beat the times you turned with your exhaust system. And at 134-136 MPH I think that's decent power for a street car.

I think a good exhaust system will not slow a car down.

Not trying to crap in anybodies Wheaties but I will maintain that for the vast majority of racers if an exhaust system makes better power than open headers you've got some more sorting out to do. I've raced everything from stock eliminator to Outlaw 10.5 and I've never had a car that went faster with tubes and muffs and have never known anyone else that did either. Locomotion's deal surprises me.

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/10/09 04:14 PM

Quote:

[
Are you using step headers and a merge collector?

The headers are off-the-shelf TTI stepped headers - 1 5/8"-1 3/4", coated in and out. The collector is a standard style, non-removable and somewhat short that I ran with extensions.

* Perhaps the exhaust system overall helped torque because my minimum weight is 3,530 and I usually run 20-40 lbs over that? Heavier than most 340/360 Stockers.

* I don't know if the X-pipe without mufflers would help more. Doesn't Nascar use X-pipes? But I got the Dynomax Ultra-Flos because the are straight through and seemed to flow well based on published #'s. (I kinda like the quieter sound now!)

* I wish I had time to devote to specific testing. I'd have to fab new hangers if the mufflers were removed. But I ran the headers open for several years and tinkered with the jetting whenever time allowed. Then it ran a little better leaned out a few #'s after the exhaust system was put on. Maybe .05, but not more than .10.
Posted By: jinxy

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 07:22 AM

Myron,

Do you tune your stocker with an air/fuel ratio gauge? If so, what kind of ratio do you tune for at wot?

Jeff
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 07:29 AM

I have noticed little to no gain with my 3" exhaust uncapped or running it all the way out back..11.0's either way..
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 12:47 PM

Yup 3" is the way to go a 3" pipe flows 44% more than a 2.5".
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 01:31 PM

Quote:

I have noticed little to no gain with my 3" exhaust uncapped or running it all the way out back..11.0's either way..

thats just because youre awesome
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 01:46 PM

When I first got the K I put the 451 in to slow the car into the 10's. The car came with 4 inch glasspacks, I had them on. When I needed to make 2 passes in the 9's I took off the mufflers and air cleaner. I had run 10.007 pulled off the mufflers and air filter and ran 10.007. I had to change the converter to get the 9 second runs a week later. Then it ran 9.87.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats just because youre awesome

No,but my car is..

Re: How much et loss with mufflers ? - 08/11/09 03:59 PM

Quote:

Myron,

Do you tune your stocker with an air/fuel ratio gauge? If so, what kind of ratio do you tune for at wot?

Jeff

Sorry, I haven't gotten that fancy yet! I just make a change and run it, making sure I do everything the same way, everything else is the same with the car and take into account any changes in the weather. Double-checked when possible. I keep track of as many details as I can. Never had the engine or the car on a dyno either. Despite doing well, I don't have the time or budget to do as much as I'd like to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums