Moparts

Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics

Posted By: Anonymous

Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 06/15/06 03:11 PM

I started working on the headers for my big block Dakota project and made a good amount of progress in a few hours. These are 1 7/8" pipes and it looks like 2" would be OK too. 1 3/4" would be easy.

Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 03:26 PM

Kool. You're making that look easy!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 05:04 PM

There's nothing to it. The hard part is when you want equal length tubes. Dave

Attached picture 2700727-32840_13.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 05:11 PM

Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 05:18 PM

What are you using for a tubing bender? I am getting tired of waiting for the headers to be built for my car, and I am thinking about doing them myself. Thanks.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 05:24 PM

I bought a kit that included a pile of U-bends and J-bends, and straights. Measure twice, cut once....or twice.....or three times. Dave
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 05:28 PM

Looks good

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 07:13 PM

I got box of miscellaneous bends. At first i was trying to plan exactly how i wanted the pipes, then I decided to just start cutting and welding and see what happens. So far it's been a lot easier than I expected. I can up with an idea for how to located the collectors wherer I want them. I'll take pics of that and let you know how it works out. Equal length isn't too critical to me, I just want them to fit and function. I think I might be able to install and remove the driver's side by removing the steering shaft. THe passenger side is going to have to be two piece or R&R with the engine out.
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/15/06 10:58 PM

Man, you are making it look easy. Why are ya making me rethink the fenderwell headers?!! Nice progression. They don't look too jammed in there. Looks better than I thought it would.

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/16/06 12:38 AM

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/16/06 12:43 AM

Dave, just wait 'till you see the stupid trick I thought of for bringing the pipes to the collector. It will make things a lot easier - I hope. I should have some time tommorow to try it and I'll snap some pics.

Kevin- maybe do partial fenderwell ?

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/16/06 12:50 AM

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/16/06 01:05 AM

I did think of making tri-Y's but i really want to stick with the original idea of the full length headers.

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/17/06 08:28 PM

I'll have to snap some pics, but what I did was tack weld a piece of flat bar to the bottom of the frame in the spot I wanted all 4 tubes to merge into the collectors. That gave me a target instead of just imagining where the would come together. I tacked 4 scrap pieces of tube together for a visual aid. So far the passenger side has been easier - the side with the tubes "stacked" in the pictures above. I need to get some more bends as it seems I need quite a few that are less than 30 degree bends and there were not too many of those in the assortment
Posted By: OldHippie

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/18/06 03:21 AM

How about more information on that injection manifold? That is an interesting piece.

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/18/06 06:57 AM

Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/18/06 11:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'll have to snap some pics, but what I did was tack weld a piece of flat bar to the bottom of the frame in the spot I wanted all 4 tubes to merge into the collectors. That gave me a target instead of just imagining where the would come together. I tacked 4 scrap pieces of tube together for a visual aid. So far the passenger side has been easier - the side with the tubes "stacked" in the pictures above. I need to get some more bends as it seems I need quite a few that are less than 30 degree bends and there were not too many of those in the assortment

How about putting the collectors where you want them, and securing them in place as your targets?

thats what im gonna do.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/18/06 01:24 PM

Good start and you seem to be having no problems fitting the cut ends together. How are you cutting and dressing the ends before tack welding (fit)? ie what tools are you using? Did the kit come with the center pair of tubes already bent to fit that area? It looks tighter than the typical radius bends available.

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/18/06 06:24 PM

the pipe kit was just random bends with multiple bends per tube. I just cut what I need and formed the port end to fit the flange. That part was alot easier than I thought it would be. I'm using a band saw to cut the pipes and clean up the ends with my belt/disc combo sander. Some of the joints are really good, others are not quite so good. Overall I'm pretty happy with how it's workingout.

Dave- I don't have the collectors yet so that why I tacked 4 pieces of scrap together for a target. It ended up that i did not even use it. The flat bar located where I wanted the pipes to land and that worked well. The passenger side is mostly done except for the collector.
Posted By: KatFysh

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/18/06 06:54 PM

Are you gonna want to duplicate those headers for a small nominal fee??

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/19/06 12:33 PM

Kevin, I just might be able to do that... I want to see how this set come out first. I may need to buy another truck just to do mock ups on, once this one is running.

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/19/06 01:12 PM

Quote:

How about more information on that injection manifold? That is an interesting piece.

It's a tunnel ram base with a fabricated plenum and a Ford Cobra throttle body.

Re: Playing with pipes - 06/19/06 11:42 PM

I finished fitting all of the primary pipes. Now I just need to get the collectors, reducers and flanges.

Posted By: jcc

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 06/19/06 11:51 PM

Nice progress , Not sure if I would have the courage to tackle that job, and besides, if I did the cost of steel would go up, trade balance would plumment, and, steel scrap prices would drop, from all the discarded steel tubing I would throw out in the process

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 04:45 PM

I finished the headers on saturday and installed them . I am going to modify the trans crossmember for extra clearance for the dual exhaust. The prototype master cylinder brake booster eliminator adapter is finshed too :

Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 04:50 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 04:54 PM

Wow, and I thought I had clearance troubles? You REALLY had a tight squeeze!
Impressive that you could fit four pipes through there!!!!

Any full vehicle pics??

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 04:56 PM

there more pics of the truck at the website : www.bigblockdakota.com . It doesn't look like much with the hood closed/
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 07:14 PM

You did a good job tucking them up under the chassis. The cross member does look like a minor issue, but if you can make headers, you can trim that!
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 07:17 PM

Looks good.
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 07:35 PM

Very nice fabrication work That truck is going to be sneaky and quick.
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 08:05 PM

Real nice Greg.....is this being built for a customer or for yourself?

Re: Playing with pipes- Updated, more pics - 07/02/06 09:06 PM

The truck is for me, for a daily driver. It'll be easier to park than the dually. Of course, I'll have to take it to the track to see what it will do.
© 2024 Moparts Forums