Post deleted by moparts - 07/30/09 06:24 PM

Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 07/30/09 06:34 PM

Posted By: Hunted Duck

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/30/09 06:47 PM

Hope everyone got the Rv's and Trailer's out without anyone losing anything
Posted By: BBLM23

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/30/09 06:48 PM

Didn't even know until after it happened.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/30/09 07:42 PM

I hope for the best to the racers who have cars/trailers are there. Our track has flooded a few times over the years there`s a small stream in front of were we park, We`ve been called by the track operator a few times to come move our trailers because the waters rising. It usually doesn`t come up too high but as a precaution we move them anyhow. Its nice to have a reserved spot to keep your trailer there and not tow back and forth every weekend unfortunatly this is one of the drawbacks.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/30/09 07:43 PM

Thats horrible. 2 years or so ago I remember Island under water like that in spring.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/30/09 07:46 PM

I*'ll keep my for all of them. I only hope the damage isn't to extensive.
Posted By: actionange

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

I hope for the best to the racers who have cars/trailers are there. Our track has flooded a few times over the years there`s a small stream in front of were we park, We`ve been called by the track operator a few times to come move our trailers because the waters rising. It usually doesn`t come up too high but as a precaution we move them anyhow. Its nice to have a reserved spot to keep your trailer there and not tow back and forth every weekend unfortunatly this is one of the drawbacks.

Hey Bill so since your car is already there will you run with us on Aug 9th and or the 30th?
Posted By: cgall

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 03:24 PM

Sorry to see that mess, but it can be cleaned up. Our local tracks have been flooded many times, there will be 1" of river mud over everything, lots of work ahead. Hope they have insurance.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 05:08 PM

Yes, I thought you guys were coming in Sept. When did you get August dates at Island?
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 07:04 PM

I THOUGHT it flooded out a couple years ago and they had to fix it???

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 07:15 PM

Quote:

I THOUGHT it flooded out a couple years ago and they had to fix it???

It did and they did. It was OK for 2 years, until 8 inches in an afternoon...
Posted By: actionange

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 09:52 PM

Just checked the LVD website. They are closed for the weekend and weather permitting plan to be running on Wednesday night- Aug 5th.

Let's pray that the sun comes out for the next 5 days so they can dry out!

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 10:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, I thought you guys were coming in Sept. When did you get August dates at Island?

i spoke with tony yesterday and he gave me 3 more dates, id like to see if we could get some more local guys to race with NENDRA at island to support the efforts of tony at island, hes going out of his way to accomodate NENDRA and the members.
Posted By: jkgtx

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 10:04 PM

so if they are open for aug 8 is the race still on?website says they are trying to get back to racing on the 5.

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 07/31/09 10:21 PM

Quote:

so if they are open for aug 8 is the race still on?website says they are trying to get back to racing on the 5.

yes, but i doubt they can get that all cleaned up in time but who knows.
i still like to get in another race at island on sunday.WEATHER PERMITTING- THIS WEATHER SUCKS!!!
Posted By: BEEQUIK

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 01:57 AM

this does not look good...

Attached picture 5389469-lvd_flood_04.jpg

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 02:02 AM

I hope you guys get this stuff out undamaged,this really sucks.

Attached picture 5389484-LVFLOOD3.jpg

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 02:05 AM

wow...

Attached picture 5389505-LVFLOOD4.jpg

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 02:06 AM

dam

Attached picture 5389507-LVFLOOD5.jpg

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 02:09 AM

The dirt track is also flooded really bad...

Attached picture 5389522-DIRTTRACKFLOODED.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 08/01/09 02:29 AM

Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

Oh snap!! I guess this proves that a valley is not a good place to build a track.

Well, maybe not a CAR track.

Attached picture 5389691-a.jpg
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 05:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh snap!! I guess this proves that a valley is not a good place to build a track.

Well, maybe not a CAR track.

I hope either of YOU GUYS don't ever suffer a loss of this magnatude and have to read that kind of CRAP!

SHOW SOME CLASS AND HAVE SOME RESPECT!!

Some of these guys are going to be DONE and you're being a smart-a%*es. Feel better about yourselves??

Mods if you're going to delete what I just said, hopefully you'll have the wisdom to delete those two also.

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 08:05 AM

I do honestly feel sorry for people that suffer losses due to unforseeable acts of nature. For instance, the floods in the midwest in areas that hadn't flooded in 100yrs was a tragedy. That said, I don't understand when areas have histories of flooding, forrest fires, mudslides, etc., why people continue to keep rebuilding there, and seem shocked when the same things happen again. This area has apparently flooded before. Nobody forced the track to stay at the bottom of a valley prone to flooding - they could have relocated. Nobody forces people to leave their trailers there - they do that for their own convenience. So while my/our comments may have been interpeted as in poor taste or too dry of a sense of humor, mine was a jab at the obvious; maybe the best place to race CARS isn't in a pond. So while I am sympathetic to the people that suffer losses due to "natural disasters", I hope that they don't put themselves in the same situation again.
Posted By: FY1TA

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 11:29 AM

Your screen name says it all .
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 11:35 AM

Evilspirit, your right nobody is forcing them to stay there. But the track has been there a LLOOONNNG time--lots of history. And trust me, non racing people would LOVE nothing more than to see both tracks shut down, and there have been many court battles to try and do so. If that happened, that would be the end of any strip in this area of NY. You cant just openly open a new nice facility easily as i am sure you well know.

My opinion on other issues, The flooding seems to be more frequent within the past 5 years. I have been going/racing at the track since 1989 and i dont ever remember it being this bad than in the past two years. In fact i dont ever remember it flooding at all in such a damaging way before the flood two years ago. Mother nature is at work and playing her games.

I am not a fan of Howard Commander and his way of doing things, but i know he will fix this and there will be racing again---soon. They are talking in trying to race next wed night again. If they can pull this off in a weeks time, my hats off to them.--heck even if they can pull it off for next sat/sun that would be great.

The loss that some of the racers will have to thier equipment will be devastating to them. Maybe they can rebuild, maybe they cant. As i am sure some of you do, some of these guys spend all of their money racing week to week, paycheck to paycheck. While i dont agree with doing that, that is a fact and for everyone that has to quit or sell out and quit because of this is really ashame when a person loves to do something so much-- not to mention loss of revenue to the track and town that is supported by the racers.

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 12:02 PM

Quote:

once again this useless individual makes a senseless,uncaring comment that is completely uncalled for.
since you dont have a car anymore,and have nothing nice to say, why dont you just leave this board.
this tragedy will leave alot of people financially destroyed, and this will affect the local community as well.
this is NENDRA local track which we support, and
for this to happen in this magnitude really hurts.

Attached picture 5390199-65DODGECORONETLEBANON1.jpg

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 03:03 PM

Ram, I hope that they are racing there ASAP. And I do feel sorry for not just the racers losses, both money and emotionally. All I tried to do was make a joke in the "spirit" of "If life deals you lemons, make lemonade" and was not meant to be offensive. Some people didn't see it as funny - which is their right. I hope the racers that suffered losses are able to recover from them and anjoy racing again - soon. And (this may irritate the thin skinned) watch the weather channel to avoid future damages.

To the people that are dealing with the effects of the flooding - I am honestly sorry for your losses, and I hope that you can overcom the damages and race again. Enough said......

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 03:25 PM

Quote:

Ram, I hope that they are racing there ASAP. And I do feel sorry for not just the racers losses, both money and emotionally. All I tried to do was make a joke in the "spirit" of "If life deals you lemons, make lemonade" and was not meant to be offensive. Some people didn't see it as funny - which is their right. I hope the racers that suffered losses are able to recover from them and anjoy racing again - soon. And (this may irritate the thin skinned) watch the weather channel to avoid future damages.

To the people that are dealing with the effects of the flooding - I am honestly sorry for your losses, and I hope that you can overcom the damages and race again. Enough said......

evil,, i WASNT refering to you at all.
it is devastating to see the loss up there.
alot of my friends have lost there cars and tow rigs due to high waters.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 06:24 PM

That is terrible. I feel for those folks. Hopefully the cars inside the trailers are just high enough, that the water stays out of the engine and trans. The diffs are probably gone though. When I think of the cleanup and $$, it makes me cringe. Good luck to all of them.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 06:37 PM

Wow guys .. this is a terrible situation. Way way back when ... I was the track-photog for them when I used to live in western MA. I used to also help a Bud who raced a BB/FD ...and that car(and me) "starred" in a movie with Don Garlits that was actually filmed at that track.

Any news on when the river is supposed to receed?

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 07:18 PM

Just got home from visiting my car. I happen to be in a low spot of the higher ground. I could drive my truck to the trailer, put on 16" rubber boots and walk to the trailer. It is still in the middle of a big puddle. My big battery charger took on water but the generator looks OK. They were at the back of the trailer, the lowest point. In front of the car stuff on the floor got wet. It looks like it was 2 inches high there. A box of oil filters was laying on it's side, the two lowest I threw away. The other 10 were dry. The tires were a little dirty but the car was dry. The helmet and fire gear were on the floor of the car and they were dry. Some spare parts got wet...
Because of the huge puddle I couldn't move the trailer. I will have to go up Friday. I will pull the wheels, dry the brakes and clean/repack the wheel bearings. The water is very muddy and fine silt is everywhere. When I looked at the black vinyl floor in the trailer it looked like it was spray painted tan.
Water is much lower now. I will post some pictures later. The track is a mess.

The track equipment was going the whole time I was there. Giant sweeper in the parking lots and equipment working on the track and concrete barriers. The water flowed hard enough to knock over 15 or so interlocked jersey barriers.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 08:24 PM

Good luck Walter, hope it all turns out well. I can imagine the mess. We are all pulling for them.

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 10:08 PM

Pointing to the highest watermark:

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 10:13 PM

I tried to clean my black vinyl floor:

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 10:16 PM

By the fuel area, looking towards the back field:

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/01/09 10:22 PM

The staging lanes, look how high the water was:

Post deleted by Defbob - 08/01/09 11:50 PM

Posted By: blown572dart

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 12:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

once again this useless individual makes a senseless,uncaring comment that is completely uncalled for.
since you dont have a car anymore,and have nothing nice to say, why dont you just leave this board.
this tragedy will leave alot of people financially destroyed, and this will affect the local community as well.
this is NENDRA local track which we support, and
for this to happen in this magnitude really hurts.

I was stating was an apparent fact, nothing more. Dude, you have no business calling me useless. I, unlike you, have actual experience building a car from the ground up, and since 2001 I've happily shared that experience to help others on this board whenever I can. I will continue to do so, regardless of whether I own a Mopar or not, whether you like it or not. Have a nice day!

Posted By: instigator

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 12:12 AM

So what is the reason for numerous racecars still at the track?????

Did some kind of biblical rainstorm just sprout out of nowhere....people just leave their cars/trailer behind.....

Stored there?

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 12:25 AM

Many people leave their cars there as well as campers/motorhomes to help alleviate the cost of towing to the track every week.Unless something is broken bad enough to need to go back to the shop to fix,they just leave their rigs and cars there and just show to race each week.saves a lot in gas and this is an unfortunate example of what can happen.

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 01:02 AM

The track is 76 miles from my house. My Ram gets 7.5-8mpg. I normally race every weekend.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

The track is 76 miles from my house. My Ram gets 7.5-8mpg. I normally race every weekend.

make's sense to me, I can see why guy's leave them there, as long as there is ample security.

Post deleted by Defbob - 08/02/09 01:46 AM

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! *DELETED* - 08/02/09 02:00 AM

Post deleted by tboomer
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! *DELETED* - 08/02/09 10:27 AM

really sad to see that, hope you guys get everthing cleaned up and ready to race
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! *DELETED* - 08/02/09 11:46 AM

I've been seeing this all over. Very sorry to see. I've ran there a few times. I like that track.

Walter, sorry to hear you had your car in that mess but glad to see it didn't get into the car. The floor of the trailer is bad enough but it could have been much worse.
Posted By: superbee500

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 12:26 PM

Some updates
First of all, let me explain- over 8" of water fell in the Lebanon area yesterday afternoon. What was thought to be a moderate storm dumped more water than anyone can imagine into a small area washing out roadways and flooding places that haven't seen water like this since the early 70's. It rained so hard it shut Route 20 down further east from the track with over 4 feet of water rushing over the road. All this water had to go somewhere.....of course the track was down stream and was dealing with the deluge of downpour itself.
Here is a status update as I spent most of the day at the track answering phone calls and trying to get a handle on things. The facts as the water level went down- most trailers were able to be accessed as of this evening. Even the ones in the outer field that were underwater were accessible tonight.
We even saved a few fish who had become disoriented and stranded!
There is a section of the jersey barrier in the right lane near the main turn off that has been turned over and undermined. According to Howard, the crews are in line to begin repairs on that tomorrow, which I know as a fact because they were meeting with him this afternoon when the area was visible.
The pit area near the fuel depot and the cross over into the field is no longer there- it is a big hole where the rushing water eroded everything away. Tonight, the contractors were looking over the situation and fill will be used and blacktop will need to be reinstalled in this area. Right now, even a good leap wouldn't get you over the gaping hole leading towards the field and fueling at the depot is impossible because of the cave in.
The water was still in the staging lanes, so it is impossible at this time to know what that area was like. I can tell you it was like the rushing rapids last night.
The timing system right now is still under water. The holes that usually house the timing system looked more like water drains today as the water continued to pour out of them. The system is being pulled apart, repaired and fixed as we speak so that as soon as the water goes down, it can be reinstalled.
We are moving forward. Realistically, I'm truthfully thinking we may be operational by the Night of Fire. Howard being true to his word had the doors of the club house open tonight and the place was drying out as it was the first to become accessible. Crews are on standby to get in to clean up as soon as areas are clear. Howard told me tonight if the weather holds maybe we can have a test and tune on Sunday. Saturday is definitely out of the question. Only time and weather will tell.
Crews were still working at 9pm tonight with large pumps to clear the water out of the oval track which was spilling onto the dragway in hopes to move the water back to the creek.
Once again, as the water level goes down, we will deal with the situations at hand.
Thank you to all for their help and cross your fingers as they are calling for more rain tomorrow (Friday). We'll be back up and running as soon as humanly possible.

These are from the NEMS site
Kevin
Posted By: superbee500

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 12:30 PM

#2 also from NEMS
Today, crews showed up at the track with excavators, fill, stones and all sorts of pumps, brooms and cleaning equipment. The clubhouse was cleaned out and under pretty good condition. The water had gone down enough where the parking lots were clear and the water was out of the concession stands. The jersey barrier was removed and the fill was put in and tamped until.....it rained!
Yes, once again the track and the grounds are under water. Water is once again running through the club house. The good news I guess is that it is a foot less than where it was at it's worse point the other day. Unfortunately, we start at square one once again.
Tomorrow morning, we will be back at the track chasing the water away and cleaning once again.
Keep us in your prayers as we tackle what appears to be a never ending battle. As of tonight's news....another round of rain and thunderstorms on Sunday.

S Bell

Looks like they are doing everything they can, just need a brake in weather.
Kevin
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 02:07 PM

Good to see that there is some light at the end of the tunnel. Dim as it may seem, there is hope I suppose. We will keep the faith that all those affected can get back on their feet soon.

Hopefully there is a flood insurance provision on the tracks policy? Otherwise I would imagine that this will be a financial nightmare..

MB
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Lebanon Valley Dragway is destroyed !!!! - 08/02/09 02:30 PM

Well said Mike.I am hoping that nobody's race car is a total loss.I have always had a great time in the "VALLEY"
© 2024 Moparts Forums