Moparts

Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block??

Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 01:23 PM

On the Indy Maxx aluminum block do you need a main cap puller to remove them??? I am thinking last year right after I got my engine some one on here was talking about having to have a special puller to get them off. I have been building and working on Mopar engines for 20+ years even the ford's and chevy's and never had to have one. But this is my first Indy block and I don't want to make any mistakes. If I do need one(hoping I don't) where do I buy it???? Thanks
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 01:34 PM

Not sure about the aluminum block, but my Mega block requires a puller. My buddy made a simple puller from material he had laying around in his shop, works great and cost nothing.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 02:47 PM

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 02:48 PM

I have made mine out of a slide hammer. Have a couple of changeable heads for various blocks.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 03:26 PM

Thanks, I have a idea of where to start now.
Will more than likely be back asking more questions later. Thanks again for the help!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 03:34 PM

Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 04:35 PM

slide hammer out and put them in the freezer before they go back in.
Posted By: old yeller

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/29/09 05:46 PM

poor mans way is to put vise gripes on the main cap and spin the crank it will knock the main cap up.(been doing it this way for years)
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/30/09 12:28 AM

I made my own puller.
As stated before, freeze to get them in.

BigCube has a nice one that he made.
Maybe AndyF can make one that is not too pricey..

When I asked (Russ) Indy @ the MATS, he just shook his head and said "yes there is a special tool for this...It's called a slide hammer"
What a PUTZ..

Chris..
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/30/09 05:09 AM

Newer thought about cooling the caps for assembly. So far just hit them in to the place with the bearing attached with a tie strap until I can get the nuts on the studs. What a pain.
Posted By: rebel

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/30/09 05:38 AM

on the brighter side they become easier to refit after a few seasons use. i can press mine down almost to the threads now but in the early days it was freezer caps & heated block with fuse wire holding the bearings in while tapping down with the rubber hammer. luckily my slide hammer for pulling my floater axles has the same thread.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Info. needed on pulling main capps on Indy Alu. block?? - 07/30/09 06:32 AM

Mine is already ten years old, and the situation hasn't changed.
© 2024 Moparts Forums