Moparts

What classifies a "fast" street car??

Posted By: Moparnut426

What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:02 PM

How fast would you guys consider a fast street car would be? 13s, 12.50s, what? Full street trim, DOT tires, full exhaust, basic stock fuel system, mechanical pump, 750 DP... etc, etc.

Id be proud If my Demon runs a 12.50, or lower.

360, 4 Speed, 3:91s, estimated 425hp roller cammed 9.5 comp, Profetionally ported J heads, TTI headers, 2.5 flowmaster U fit exhaust.

Im heading to the track in a few weeks, and dont know what to expect.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 01:05 PM

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:09 PM

Im in the processes of building a 408 that shold be WAY more fun, but I have never taken the Demon to the track.

Kasey
Posted By: CJK440

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:10 PM

A lot of it depends on what is a street car.

To me a street car has to be able to drive from Conn to E-town over the GW in the summer with the wife and kids.
Posted By: bigsbigelow

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:12 PM

A twelve second run is very very respectable for a street car. It isn't exactly cheap or easy to get a car to run twelves and still be street legal. I personally consider a street car anything that is fully insured, has working head lights, tail lights, and turn signals, an exhaust system, D.O.T. approved tires, all glass windows (no lexan), and gets driven at least twice a week.

Good luck at the track BTW

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:14 PM

My Demon could do that, but the wife and kids would have less fun than me, I need Vintage AIR!!

I agree, I think a "street" car should have no cage, stock apearing interior, and have a dotish street tire.

Posted By: juicedcuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:31 PM

My opinion of a street car is whatever someone wants to tolerate driving on the street.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:35 PM

I know there is cars out there with a spool, muffled open headers, full cage, only the bare "LEGAL" lights, and instrumentation. I dont see that street legal, or safe in my opinion, but everyone is different.

Posted By: moparniac

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:40 PM

My challenger had no cage and ran on DOT tires / 100% Pump Gas and full exhaust with a full interior...... Only time out untuned @ 3800lbs went 10.6 / 128.3 all motor the way she sat in my garage was still at 13.8 at WOT butit started to rain..... no special ET tricks here! Im sure she would have went quicker but will never know now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz-szQ1yrgY
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:41 PM

There are PLENTY of fully legal street cars running 9's
without power adders
Posted By: Harley

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:56 PM

I drive my car out to a car gathering on Long island Sunday mornings, its 110 miles for me round trip. With my old motor I went the best of 11.20 at 4000 pounds. I am expecting to dip into the tens with my new motor. I look forward to driving it to e-town and making some passes as soon as it cools off around here. Race cars are nice, but a good running street car rocks!
Posted By: moparacer

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 01:57 PM

Relative of mine has a 03 cobra twin turbo intercooled Mustang that you can drive anywhere you want and makes 800+hp at the wheels.

Last summer he took me for a ride and we cruised around with the windows up and the AC on listening to CDs before he busted a 140 mph 1/4 mile pass...

Street cars standards today are just plain sick.....

When I was in school if you could run 12s you were the king.....
Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:01 PM

I regularly drive this car, it does elevens with out even driving it hard.

Attached picture 5383230-IMG_0891-1.JPG
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:12 PM

Quote:

360, 4 Speed, 3:91s, estimated 425hp roller cammed 9.5 comp, Profetionally ported J heads, TTI headers, 2.5 flowmaster U fit exhaust.

I would expect mid-11s with 3200-3300 lb. car and 425 HP.

I also expect you will be a disappointed 1st-timer like the rest of us.

......and I expect, before long, you'll wish you had an automatic.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would expect mid-11s with 3200-3300 lb. car and 425 HP.

I also expect you will be a disappointed 1st-timer like the rest of us.

......and I expect, before long, you'll wish you had an automatic.

Honestly I already wish I had a good 904... But the gear grinders are cool though!!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:26 PM

I think running 12s or faster is a fast street car. Nowadays if you're not atleast running 10s, it's hard to get noticed. CHIP
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:40 PM

I guess everyone here has higher standards than myself. I think anything 13.50 or faster is pretty quick. That puts you around 100mph and IMO in the top 2% of everything out on the road. As for your combination please don't take this wrong but I would suspect your car will run somewhere between 12.7-13.2 for your first outing, you will find your weak spots pretty quickly(traction).
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:45 PM

Quote:

I think running 12s or faster is a fast street car. Nowadays if you're not atleast running 10s, it's hard to get noticed. CHIP

Years ago out in Ca my old dart ran very low 12s and was one of the fastest cars there in 89. Today I think you need to be 10s on motor and help it with NOS to get the 9s. My old cuda would drive anywhere and it ran 10.ohs...Phill

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:48 PM

Things have definitely changed in the last 5-7 years with the changes in technology and improvements in cylinder head design.

Used to be 12's was pretty fast but I've personally ridden in late model cars that were well into the 10's that had a/c, full interior, no lightweight parts, and looked like a stock bodied car!

It's kinda depressing that my old school iron with a bigblock is starting to be passe.
Posted By: Kam*Kuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:51 PM

Quote:

I regularly drive this car, it does elevens with out even driving it hard.

Your car is Sweet! Stealth

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:52 PM

IMO in the top 2% of everything out on the road. As for your combination please don't take this wrong but I would suspect your car will run somewhere between 12.7-13.2 for your first outing, you will find your weak spots pretty quickly(traction).

This is what I want to hear, I take critism pretty good, so Im hopeing Ill at least be in the 12's somewhere...

Thanks Wheelsup
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 02:53 PM

Mine's slow, but I can idle it on I-94 for hours then run it at Milan that same day.
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 03:01 PM

When I said, "I'd expect mid-11s......." I didn't mean you
should expect mid-11s. That's just what 425 HP should run
in a 3200-3300 lb. car.

Just concentrate on smooth launches and clean shifts. Don't
pay any attention to the E.T. Look at the MPH. That's where
your HP will show up. Then you'll have a better idea of what it
"can" E.T.

Good luck.
Posted By: greenmcode

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 03:04 PM

I agree 12 and 11 sec cars were fast street
cars back 10 plus years ago.. Now 10 to 9
sec cars are out there..

Here is my 11 sec street/show car..
440 stk stoke hyd flat cam..

[image][/image]
Posted By: plasticfantastic

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 03:04 PM

i think if it can scare you, its fast enough.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 03:17 PM

Fred. come on, street car? Don't ya think you are pushing it a tad? Here in NC the state boys will have a field day with that duster, even if they couldn't ticket you with something you wouldn't make it 5 miles before the next one would pull you over, so If you plan on comeing down my way, think of spending some extra time with the locals & state guys and bring a ton of cash just in case, they don't except out of town checks
Posted By: copchaser

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 03:28 PM

I feel a fast street car runs in the 12's or faster. You need to be able to drive it any time or any where, not over heat and run pump gas, full exhaust, interior, etc. There are street legal race cars and there are fast street cars. I have what I consider 2 fast street cars, both run in the 10's and can be drivin any where. I'm in building a street legal race car that should run in the low-mid 9's. Is it a "street car" no, street legal yes. Just my

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 03:29 PM

Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:08 PM

for me anything that i can tolerate driving on the street is a streetcar,even if the law may have some objections about it, if it has numberplates,can run in normal trafic and working lights i consider it a streetcar.. that means there is 7 and 8second streetcars the way i look at it..
but i still feel that 12seconds and faster is very respectable from a car that can be driven alot and being comfortable enough for cruisenights
Posted By: dOOc

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:12 PM

Pump gas, legal DOT tires and STREET LEGAL(no super-loud exhaust, huge scoop, etc)
Posted By: BradH

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Pump gas, legal DOT tires and STREET LEGAL(no super-loud exhaust, huge scoop, etc)

Mine fits that category, but this has always been one of those debates for which there is simply no right or wrong answer.

FWIW, other than having added a rollbar and removing the back seat, my car is just as "streetable" (by my defintion) running 10.5s as it was when it ran 12.5s.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Fred. come on, street car? Don't ya think you are pushing it a tad? Here in NC the state boys will have a field day with that duster, even if they couldn't ticket you with something you wouldn't make it 5 miles before the next one would pull you over, so If you plan on coming down my way, think of spending some extra time with the locals & state guys and bring a ton of cash just in case, they don't except out of town checks

Nope all the locals all know me and most are car nuts. Add to that I have dealer tags which let me skirt nearly all the DMV rules. Plus my very close friend is a chief of police who gave me PBA and FOP family member cards . I put over 250 miles on it the first week I bought it. Even drove to the track and made pass

Man, It must be nice being Mayor But if ya come down south don't say I did not warn ya, If they nail ya down here don't drop the soap cause Bubba loves politicians
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:48 PM

many lightning trucks in my area will run mid 10s and they weigh over 4500 lbs
Posted By: PS Arrow

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 04:51 PM

Quote:

i think if it can scare you, its fast enough.

That about sums it up for me, the Arrow is a fast street car, but not a daily driver.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Fred. come on, street car? Don't ya think you are pushing it a tad? Here in NC the state boys will have a field day with that duster, even if they couldn't ticket you with something you wouldn't make it 5 miles before the next one would pull you over, so If you plan on coming down my way, think of spending some extra time with the locals & state guys and bring a ton of cash just in case, they don't except out of town checks

Nope all the locals all know me and most are car nuts. Add to that I have dealer tags which let me skirt nearly all the DMV rules. Plus my very close friend is a chief of police who gave me PBA and FOP family member cards . I put over 250 miles on it the first week I bought it. Even drove to the track and made pass

Man, It must be nice being Mayor But if ya come down south don't say I did not warn ya, If they nail ya down here don't drop the soap cause Bubba loves politicians

heii you see stuff like that on the street down here all the time no problems at all.If it is tagged,insured and has all its lights ect whats the problem
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 05:23 PM

I'll tell you what is reallllllllly a street car.

My friends 72' Duster with 360, mild mild cam out of a dodge van with 904 automatic, 410 gears in a 8-3/4, radio, JC Whitney rear springs, bone stock battered front suspension, Mickey Thompson sportsman pro's, full interior all metal body drives from Brooklyn, NY to Englishtown, NJ which is about 55 miles away in Summer heat or Winter bitter, goes low-low twelves at 107 MPH.
His Fathers Duster with a nothing more than a little more cam and steel ralley rims goes 12 flat.

All with junk parts. Low cost budget and just the right team of parts to get the job done. One of his most secreted tricks was and still is his Fathers 904 Transmission, because at the end of the day, all your power has to go through that gear box to reach the rear wheels.

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 05:30 PM

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 05:35 PM

The term "street car" is relative. I`m not the fastest(although no one here in the high desert has a quicker n/a slip) but, I drive it all over on 91 crap and it has NEVER left me on the side of the road. You`re going to get many different opinions on this so, enjoy what YOU have and call it good or.......SPRAY IT!
Posted By: MoparMuscle

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 06:13 PM

Does this pass. It does have power windows now.

Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 06:34 PM

Whatever you can tolerate to drive, is a "street" car. Some may not like it, or him, but Eddie drives that Duster 1,000 miles during Drag Week, beats on it at the track, it goes 7s. Anything you can drive 1,000 miles, is definitely a Street Car. You could not positively gaurantee your everyday driver would go a 1,000 miles without incident, so that is not a legit argument. My GTX was a low 8 sec car and saw plenty of street duty. Some claim a streeter must have air, ps, pb and a bunch of other stuff, my Challenger had none of that when new, so why does it need it now to be considered a street car.

Monte

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 06:39 PM

Quote:

so why does it need it now to be considered a street car.

Because people have become sissyfied...
Posted By: LAR_414

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 06:56 PM

We all have our definitions of a street car. I like my setup and I REGULARLY drive it on the street to go food shopping, Home Depot, the Mall, visit friends, take my family to the park for a picnic, drive to the Mopar Nats and back......... To me that is a true street car,...one you drive regularly to places, other than the local car cruise and back.

I totally think that all cool street driven vehicles have a place and I respect them all. Way cool to have a rollcaged 8 second car that you drive long distances. It's also super cool to have a high 12 second car with full interior that you drive all over the place too.

Love em all!

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 06:57 PM

Quote:

I agree, I think a "street" car should have no cage, stock apearing interior, and have a dotish street tire.

Sorry,i don't agree.. my "street" car has all those you mentioned (roll bar,not cage)there for safety seeing as it runs 11.0's - 11.80's depending on engine,not bad for a "street" car..

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 07:05 PM

Quote:

my 700 HP blown Caddy meets the requirements

Now thats a street car

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 07:09 PM

A honest-to-goodness REAL streeter ?

11.99 ... and 20+ mpg !

Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 07:18 PM

I've got about 850 miles on my STREETABLE 68 Hemi Cuda and if it would hook it would probably be in the 10's (511 h.p. & 502 torque) Regarding gas mileage.....probably 15 gpm since I can't keep my foot out of it.
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 07:40 PM

Quote:

Id be proud If my Demon runs a 12.50

It will run what it runs. From then on you will have to
make up your mind if it's fast enough.
13's is fast enough for some and a puch for others.
Some have to run 8's or even 7's just to stroke
the old EGO!
Take yours to the track and have fun with it. I
know that 4 speed will be a ball, and could also
end your day early. Let us know how it did and
tune it for better E.T.'s from there on.
Posted By: BBR

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 08:19 PM

Quote:

What classifies a "fast" street car??

Low 11 to high 10. Street car to me means a car that actually gets driven on the street.
Posted By: cold85

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 08:21 PM

A street car is up to only the owner of the car and the state he drives in to decide all other opinons are nothing. Besides this has to be the most over done question
Posted By: RobR

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 08:34 PM

10's in a street car is fast in my book

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/29/09 08:46 PM

Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 09:09 PM

I've come to the conclusion there are two types of street cars...hot rods with big cams and low ratios that are driven locally to drive ins and shows and "cruiser" type cars that can be driven on highways that are dependable and get decent milege. So i would say in the first category a time in the high 8s to low 10s sec range is pretty good. For a cruiser, i would say a time in the mid 12s or 13s would be good.
Posted By: cudabunch

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 09:20 PM

Street car Lamborghini Murcielago Hands down
Posted By: prochargedhemi

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 09:56 PM

68 dodge coronet 30,000 original mile car, big motor(n/a), super stock springs and pinion snubber.
best of 10.47@129 at around 2 tons. no bar, no electric pump,4.10 gear, dot radials,full exhaust to the bumper. only thing better would be if it was column shifted
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 10:07 PM

My definition of a street car is one that you can legally drive on the street where you live, and not get a ticket doing so..

I could care less if i cant go 500 miles in it(would way rather take something with air conditioning and that drives comfortably)and that i have way less worry about some idiot hitting. I have driven 75 miles round trip, laid down 10's and driven it home, thats good enough for me.

As far as pump gas and race fuel, opinions vary. As long as the cops dont care what fuel i run, i would rather run high quality race fuel through mine, and be able to enjoy the extra compression and power that allows.Its not something that i would ever drive 15,000 miles a year, so i would never even consider the sacrafice of low compression pump gas on anything i would ever build, or even think about building. What are you really looking at even at 3000 miles a summer(that is driving a ton really)whats a few hundred bucks(if that) in fuel price difference(race/pump) in the grand scheme of things..nothing really..

Opinions might vary

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 10:16 PM

if you drive it to the track and run faster than your safety equipment allows

Attached picture 5384216-121408001.jpg
Posted By: Defbob

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 10:52 PM

i'd say atleast mid-9's and beable to drive a 12 hour trip (and ofcourse the stops for gas )

That's what I would consider. 10's and 11's are "quick" street cars
Posted By: 440dart

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 10:53 PM

Real street car hmmm. Just go to the Woodward Dream Cruise in 2 weeks, and you will see every definition of a street car there is! I promise you that.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 10:55 PM

elvis went 7's and a 1200 mile trip
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:01 PM

I think a car needs to run in the 9s to get my attention.I have very good luck with my Nos combos as nice street cars.I have several 8 sec true street cars I have bulit.Lenny
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:23 PM

Quote:

Does this pass. It does have power windows now.

Passes in my book, I'd love a BB Daytona or Avenger. Where's the "in my dreams" smiley?

Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:25 PM

A car with street manners and runs 12's is an all around great Mopar to own and drive.
Posted By: Dodgetony

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:27 PM

I guess I have two opinions...a street legal car running 10's is pretty fast. A true street daily driver type running 12's is pretty fast also.
Posted By: ksj

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:32 PM

Quote:

68 dodge coronet 30,000 original mile car, big motor(n/a), super stock springs and pinion snubber.

Take that thing on DragWeek! Too me anything running 11s or quicker is a fast street car.Then you have people like LarryLarson,Eddie,Ev Bernado etc.
best of [Email]10.47@129[/Email] at around 2 tons. no bar, no electric pump,4.10 gear, dot radials,full exhaust to the bumper. only thing better would be if it was column shifted

Posted By: Runner

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:48 PM

anything faster than my car is a "race car" i have the fastest street car in the world

on a serious note, ive often wondered if a car with a funny car cage is safe on the street. id think visability would have to be terrible? correct me if im wrong ive never sat in a car with a funny car cage.
Posted By: Runner

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/29/09 11:50 PM

Quote:

We all have our definitions of a street car. I like my setup and I REGULARLY drive it on the street to go food shopping, Home Depot, the Mall, visit friends, take my family to the park for a picnic, drive to the Mopar Nats and back......... To me that is a true street car,...one you drive regularly to places, other than the local car cruise and back.

I totally think that all cool street driven vehicles have a place and I respect them all. Way cool to have a rollcaged 8 second car that you drive long distances. It's also super cool to have a high 12 second car with full interior that you drive all over the place too.

Love em all!

have you raced your car with the 4 speed yet?

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:28 AM

What is a street car, Hummm If you drive it somewhere and are afraid to park it and leave it for a while its not a street car, like at the movies if ya gota go out and check it every 10 min or...... your just paranoid
Posted By: 8secDart

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:32 AM

This is the best street car I've ever had.I put 4,500 miles on it ths summer.It blows most of what people think a street car is out of the water.I can drive this any where a new car can and it runs low 6s in the 1/8.

Posted By: Hemiroid

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

Whatever you can tolerate to drive, is a "street" car. Some may not like it, or him, but Eddie drives that Duster 1,000 miles during Drag Week, beats on it at the track, it goes 7s. Anything you can drive 1,000 miles, is definitely a Street Car. You could not positively gaurantee your everyday driver would go a 1,000 miles without incident, so that is not a legit argument. My GTX was a low 8 sec car and saw plenty of street duty. Some claim a streeter must have air, ps, pb and a bunch of other stuff, my Challenger had none of that when new, so why does it need it now to be considered a street car.

Monte

Monte, you forgot about the nightly rebuilds it took to keep Eddie's junk running.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:53 AM

Here on Long Island there is a cruise spot every night except Sunday I put 75 to 100 miles on my junk every week weather permitting Is it a street car??You betcha!

Attached picture 5384590-100_4841.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/30/09 12:57 AM

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte, you forgot about the nightly rebuilds it took to keep Eddie's junk running.

I knew someone would bring that up. That turned out to be a cooling issue that let the motor run hot, thin the oil and basically beat the lifters out of it. Look, I am not the biggest Eddie fan, nor am I defending him, but his junk is fast and streetable. I don't expect the cooling issues this year, that he had last year. Eddie aside, what about the guy that won it, Larry Larson. He rarely had the hood up, never changed tires and has since ran in the low 7s and will probably run 6s with a killer tune.

Monte
Posted By: 383man

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 01:02 AM

A true street car is one that looks like a NSS car from the 60's and can drive anywhere and crank out mid 11's. Ron

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What is a street car, Hummm If you drive it somewhere and are afraid to park it and leave it for a while its not a street car, like at the movies if ya gota go out and check it every 10 min or...... your just paranoid

What does that have to do with streetability? The question wasn't asking about parking lotability!

Well Dave, how many times did you leave your duster alone in a parking lot for a few hrs?

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I knew someone would bring that up. That turned out to be a cooling issue that let the motor run hot, thin the oil and basically beat the lifters out of it. Look, I am not the biggest Eddie fan, nor am I defending him, but his junk is fast and streetable. I don't expect the cooling issues this year, that he had last year. Eddie aside, what about the guy that won it, Larry Larson. He rarely had the hood up, never changed tires and has since ran in the low 7s and will probably run 6s with a killer tune.

Monte

Larry drove his old combo 555 12-71 when the streets were wet and snow on the ground. His and a few others are at the extreme end of street cars for sure.Still neat to see Larry drive a 100 miles,stage go low 8s high 7s and then drive out the back gate home.
-- short hijack:Monte you going to any of the DW venues in Sept?
Posted By: dvw

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:00 AM

Mines not a rocket, but it runs low 11 thru the mufflers. In current trim its gone 11.17@121 just as it drives on the street. I run slicks at most track events for consistancy. I notice I'm one of the few cars in pro at the Classic events that has mufflers and current plates.
Doug

Attached picture 5384786-eatondayatmilan.jpg
Posted By: 528bbduster

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:08 AM

Why would a "cage" "rollbar" whatever you want to call it, be unsafe on the street?? Funny car cage? yeah I can see that bieng a blind spot,maybe never drove a ca with one in it, but I had a Duser with an 8:71 blower up and out of the hood, cops never batted an eye, sat at a stoplight with one sitting right next to me, the cop just looked at me and smiled . I think that if you look at some of the cars that are running around on the roads with saran wrap, rust, bungi cords for door handles??? Come on the guys that run really fast, or not so fast, know every nut and bolt on thier cars. Drive it and enjoy the ride
Posted By: ProSport

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:14 AM

I've been 10.15 at 134 honing the tires through 1st gear, it'll go 9.90's in a couple weeks with new shocks and tires. I'd drive it more often if I wasn't so darn worried about chewing up the tires, high fuel prices, and general wear and tear on parts. I usually hit local car shows and take the family to get ice cream. I don't consider it a super streetable package although it does drive nice on the street.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcKV5j1pG-0

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Elvis car 1500 miles in pouring down rain in 06 and ran low 8s not a single problem.
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:20 AM

The term "street car" has become meaningless. There is no authoritative definition and pretty much any car can be claimed to be a street car. The term has become an excuse for those people who feel the need to justify why their car isn't the fastest one on the block. Because car-A is slower than car-B the owner of car-A explains that his is a "street car" and therefore should not be expected to be as fast as car-B. This reasoning fails because the owner of car-B invariably claims that his is also a street car and that the owner of car-A is just jealous. At the end of the day only one fact is known to be true.... car-A is slower than car-B !!!

There is no point in excusing the performance of your car by claiming it's a street car. Likewise, there is no point in denigrating the performance of someone else's car by claiming it's not a street car, as a way of apologizing for why your car is not as fast. Simply accept that your car is not as fast and that the other guy made compromises that you weren't willing to.

Why even waste your breath claiming what should be an obvious assumption.... so your car is a street car, well so is mine and so is his and so is hers.... they're all street cars and you can't prove otherwise.... so what? It's all opinion and everyone has one of those too.

This reply is not directed at anyone or any car in particular; it is simply my opinion regarding the term "street car".
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:24 AM

Back in the mid 1970's I had a Factory 64 Max Wedge Car, auto, 4.30's Aluminum front end.

I drove it daily to school and work (Centerline Wheels )
Drove it to OCIR and went consistent 11 teens. No aftermarket accessories. It even had the stock distributor, and fuel pump.
Well over 30 years ago, that was fast. And factory original.... So if the factory says it's a legal street car, how can you argue that?

Wish I still had that one..

Chris...

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:43 AM

Quote:

Well over 30 years ago, that was fast. And factory original.... So if the factory says it's a legal street car, how can you argue that?

Wish I still had that one..

Chris...

i bet you do
Posted By: Jambbii

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:52 AM

My car went 12:50s on radials and I drove it college during the week and most of the racetracks in Az during the weekend. Was it fast,kind of , but it was a street car because it had to be.

Josh
Posted By: Ari440

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:53 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

Elvis car 1500 miles in pouring down rain in 06 and ran low 8s not a single problem.

was this with the indy 440-1 heads ?

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte

was this with the indy 440-1 heads ?

yep

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:02 AM

Thats funny That was with the Predators IIRC.Like him or hate him he walked the walk.Id say a car that you have that runs 3 seconds quicker in the qtr than when it was new is a fast street car.If I can get my 04 Stratus to run 13s rather than 16s thats pretty good and would surprise some people.Its all open to interpretation.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:04 AM

He had more success with the b-1s than the predators.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:10 AM

09 six speed challenger went 13.30 at 105.5. Totaly stock. That's pretty fast for a no-power adder production vehicle. Souped up old car I have a 4200# 79 Chrysler "300" that has a 408 junkyard headed sm block that has gone 11.60 at 115mph. Full exh. 4 mufflers and M/T Street ETs. 12.18 at 115 on BFG Radial TAs. Motor has near 15000 street miles on it.

Posted By: Ari440

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:17 AM

Quote:

indy 440-1 heads

RAY

do you know the combo

ci

comp

cam
Posted By: Lee446

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:20 AM

To me, a street car is one that you can get in, anytime, and drive "As Is" anywhere in the country you want on pump gas.
"Fast" is a relative term, My car ran mid-high 11's in full street trim/tires and like Defbob, I referred to it as "Quick". Fast to me is in the tens on engine, but maybe if mine ran tens, I would think fast is nines!
For want of a better term, the description "Street/Strip" probably is more accurate for many of the Street cars that have big gears, loose converters, drag radials and other things that keep you from jumping in and taking a cross country trip, But, that is just my opinion! Lee.
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:28 AM

Sub 11s with the 509 cam.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

indy 440-1 heads

RAY

do you know the combo

ci

comp

cam

-1 motor was a 526, 12-1, his cams are always "creative"

the pred engine is a 570something maybe. 12-1. his new combo needs a converter. the new combo blows right thru the converter. doesnt go much faster with 2 stages than just 1. he has done some testing and has hit new bests with just one stage but they were only 1/8th mile passes

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/30/09 03:37 AM

Posted By: Adobedude

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:44 AM

One that you can haul some lumber in...?
Posted By: BradH

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:57 AM

Quote:

... Because car-A is slower than car-B the owner of car-A explains that his is a "street car" and therefore should not be expected to be as fast as car-B. This reasoning fails because the owner of car-B invariably claims that his is also a street car and that the owner of car-A is just jealous. At the end of the day only one fact is known to be true.... car-A is slower than car-B !!!

And the worst part is now I can't figure out if my car is Car A or Car B? /
Posted By: sjs64polara

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:58 AM

I carry 2 car baby seats for my 2 yr old and 6 month old boys, diapers, apple juice, rattles, toys, and milk in my car. Oh ya.. My wife too. We don’t drive to far, maybe 50 miles at a pop. Otherwise I’d go crazy from the screaming and crying. Does that mean I have a family cruiser?

Attached picture 5385105-burnout.jpg

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 04:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What does that have to do with streetability? The question wasn't asking about parking lotability!

Well Dave, how many times did you leave your duster alone in a parking lot for a few hrs?

Well Craig, way too many times to remember.

Ok Dave you win, the duster is a street car and I must be paranoid, I wouldn't let that pup out of my sight for 5 min Is lotability a word?
Posted By: jyrki

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 05:34 AM

My street car definition is:
-Fuel can be bought from any gas station
-Working lights, wipers, DOT tires etc
-all the stuff needed in a race fit in to the trunk

And for a fast one, 7's sure would be nice. At least for now.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 11:31 AM

To me, it's any street legal car that's faster than mine.

Attached picture 5385431-valiantstaging.JPG

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 12:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... Because car-A is slower than car-B the owner of car-A explains that his is a "street car" and therefore should not be expected to be as fast as car-B. This reasoning fails because the owner of car-B invariably claims that his is also a street car and that the owner of car-A is just jealous. At the end of the day only one fact is known to be true.... car-A is slower than car-B !!!

trust me, you have a B car
Posted By: BDS871Cuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 01:19 PM

Quote:

My street car definition is:
-Fuel can be bought from any gas station
-Working lights, wipers, DOT tires etc
-all the stuff needed in a race fit in to the trunk

And for a fast one, 7's sure would be nice. At least for now.

Got to love the C bodys! Mine was 100% street
and was so close to running 10's. I guess I
should of tossed some juice at it.

Now jyrki's big C body is pushing 7's WOW!
Bring it over here to Cedar Falls Raceway
in October, and you'll be in the mid 7's!

Attached picture 5385577-Trump_lg.jpg
Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 01:47 PM

I consider mine a street car, regularly driven on the street, on pump gas, still has a back seat, stock dash and door panels, all lights and horn work, stock styled hood, DOT tires, and quiet exhaust... all good for 6.20 in the 1/8th I dont consider my car "fast" although I get alot of compliments, and put alot of big tired "race" cars on the trailer...

Attached picture 5385635-5335412-_MG_0010.jpg
Posted By: blownEFI

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 02:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sometimes you're an A and sometimes you're a B. Depends on who else is around at the time.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 03:38 PM

If Jyrki's Fury can do a 3000 mile road trip with no more drama than if you took a new 300C then it would be the ULTIMATE street car. What would you change if anything on it Jyrki to accomplish that and how much would it slow down? I'm thinking GearVendors and a little less converter but I'm just guessing.

As for Elvis, if he let his brain do his thinking instead of his ego, he would be running 6's by now.

Kevin

Post deleted by Defbob - 07/30/09 05:31 PM

Posted By: Ron Silva

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 06:34 PM

To me, what is more impressive every time is......"being fast for what it is".

And that goes for race car, street car or whatever.

Attached picture 5386189-Valiant10-16-08c.JPG
Posted By: chryco

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/30/09 06:45 PM

The "Silver Bullet " was / is a FAST street car . So anything matching it`s performance would certainly qualify .
Chryco

Attached picture 5386203-silverbullett.jpg
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 01:19 AM

I could never understand the gas deal. Aren't there still places in the states where you can buy 110 out of the pump? They sold it when the cars were new, so, in reality , race cars are pump gas cars....
A real street car should have to run on kerosene...That would be "cool".

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

The "Silver Bullet " was / is a FAST street car . So anything matching it`s performance would certainly qualify .
Chryco

Back in the Silver Bullet days .... MANY a faster "street" car challenged Jimy Addison .... but they were not STREET cars.

He would accept that challenge and then DRIVE 'EM ...in rush-hour-type traffic. through neighborhoods, near police stations and on the freeway ....ONCE for nearly 50 miles ....

MANY of those fast race cars(labeled as STREET cars) .... failed at that test.

I never saw him get beat.
Posted By: racerhog

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 02:57 AM

Hay....Aren't you suppose to be heading for the track tonight to run that thing ????

Posted By: Mike Swann

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 03:31 AM

I havw taken this to sthe store with a friend to buy BEER before, lol.

Attached picture 5387506-Racecar.jpg
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 04:05 AM

I think you would definitely have to be running pump gas. Are there any "street" cars out there who are HONESTLY running 91 pump gas and clicking off 9 or 10 second ET's?

I havent seen any gas stations within several states of where I live sell anything better than 91 premium.
Posted By: jyrki

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 04:11 AM

No problem. Our C-body run 8.55 on 91 octane without pushing it. After melting a couple of pistons at 8.2 we switched to race gas even if the true reason for that was propably wrong spark advance; still had 34 degrees at 13 psi of boost. It's way less frustrating to use good gas when under power than test the limits of the pistons.
Posted By: Kevins493

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 04:28 AM

Quote:

No problem. Our C-body run 8.55 on 91 octane without pushing it. After melting a couple of pistons at 8.2 we switched to race gas even if the true reason for that was propably wrong spark advance; still had 34 degrees at 13 psi of boost. It's way less frustrating to use good gas when under power than test the limits of the pistons.

Thats what we like to hear.
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 07:08 AM

QFT:
Quote:

To me, what is more impressive every time is......"being fast for what it is".

And that goes for race car, street car or whatever.

I wouldn't consider a tube-framed, tiny, lightweight little car like a Daytona/Probe/etc very impressive running eleven-anythings with an aftermarket block, 500+ inches, roller cam...

As far as what is or is not a 'street car'... I guess tags, insurance, lights pretty much covers it - for me. If I cared to debate what is/isn't a 'street car', I'd probably give a **** about 'chopper vs bobber' posts on bike forums, too.

Let the benchracing continue...

-Bill
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 01:17 PM

Quote:

I havent seen any gas stations within several states of where I live sell anything better than 91 premium.

All our stations sell 93. The Shell stations have 94. One station in my small hometown (pop. 5,000) sells 110 octane. E85 is readily available too.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 07/31/09 01:40 PM

Ok here is my

The guys who own new Corvettes, mustangs, Camaro crowd think they have fast cars...so IMO a fast car would be able to eat these cars up on the street.
So what would that take...Low 12's, high 11's would be plenty to handle about most any Production car.
I built this car 4-5 years ago...It went 11.20's in the 1/4 and was a real true driver. Only thing was it had a 3.91 gear which really limited long trips IMO, but perfect for my neck of the woods, which are curvy 2 lane route roads in the country with curves and hills every were except your occasional 1/4 mile straight stretch if your lucky.
Car had a 493 with Box stock Indy heads, 11:1 compression, which ran on pump fuel, full interior bench seat, back seat, it wasnt tubed, had stock suspension and caltracks. I had 28x10 Hoosiers Radials. It didnt hook very good on the street but at a 30 MPH kick down it would hook and book.
Quick kill story here..
Me and my dad decided to go to town one day and as I was pulling out of my drive way a Yellow Mustang with what looked like a 10 inch Cowl hood was coming. I didnt exactly pull out in front of him, maybe 75+yards back..I quickly mashed the pedal down..I knew in my heart what was going to happen, he swung out to pass me, I let him get about to my rear 1/4 or door, then I floored it. Pulled him about 8-10 car lengths...I ran it up to speeds were one knows to let off of a 69 Stock power steering B body car. I let out of it, the guy I guess never did, he came around me flying.
Never did talk to the guy personally, but heard from my younger Brother-in-law, who knows him..He was telling everyone how he almost beat a Hemi car, and that I couldn't hang with him on top end.
LOL
He told him who I was and if he wanted to arrange a grudge race at the local 8th mile it would be no problem...he quickly made a few excuses and changed the subject in front of all his buddies LOL.
The car was a mostly stock 302 with a paxton supercharger.
I want to add that I really dont condone street racing but this road is a Interstate like very flat etc, and I just couldn't resist a kill.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 01:28 AM

I drive my 69 Dart any and everywhere I can. It has a full interior with radio,heater w/defrost all stock looking. Column shifted forward pattern manual valve body.No trim or panels missing. All steel body panels,stock glass with wipers,and stock suspension with disc brakes on front and 11" drums out back with front sway bar and 3.73 gears. It has a full exhaust out to the chrome tips with TTI headers never uncorked and has run the best of 12.59 and clicked off a 12.69 2 weeks ago at Martin. I believe it weighed about 3200 on the Martin scale with me in it.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 02:27 AM

Quote:

I drive my 69 Dart any and everywhere I can. It has a full interior with radio,heater w/defrost all stock looking. Column shifted forward pattern manual valve body.No trim or panels missing. All steel body panels,stock glass with wipers,and stock suspension with disc brakes on front and 11" drums out back with front sway bar and 3.73 gears. It has a full exhaust out to the chrome tips with TTI headers never uncorked and has run the best of 12.59 and clicked off a 12.69 2 weeks ago at Martin. I believe it weighed about 3200 on the Martin scale with me in it.

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!

Kasey

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 02:59 AM

Quote:

I think you would definitely have to be running pump gas. Are there any "street" cars out there who are HONESTLY running 91 pump gas and clicking off 9 or 10 second ET's?

These days, 9 or 10 sec pump gas cars are easy. Just a mediocre motor with a turbo, a little nitrous, or a pro-charger, will easily get it done.
The same things that work on race gas to make power, work with pump gas as well. You just can't run as much timing. The year we won the Pump Gas Drags with Hogans Chevy II, it had the same nitrous tune we ran on race gas, just a lot less timing. Went a best of 8.15 on pump gas and radials.

Monte
Posted By: CW25

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 04:57 AM

My truck runs low 12s with a turbo at 4-5 lbs of boost and I am pround as hell. It is a full weight 1/2 ton, full exhaust, idles with 14" of vac, starts instantly with just a twist of the key, fills up at the local gas station on my way to work. It doesn't have a heater but still has a bench seat. I have just turned up the boost to 8 psi (have yet to go to the track) and with street tires it has zero traction below 60mph. In a truck it is enouph for the street. I really consider it a fast street vehicle. In my area there isn't much faster that actually gets driven on the street.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 06:04 AM

This has been an ongoing discussion, since I first started hanging out with street car and drag car guys. The only "Fast" "Street" car is the one you own or have owned previously.

Every car that your car can outrun no longer meets the "Fast" requirement.

Every car that is faster does not meet the "Street" requirement. Simply repeat this mantra:
"Yeah it's faster, but it's not a true street car because _________.

1. It doesn't have AC.
2. It doesn't have Power Windows.
3. It doesn't have wipers.
4. It doesn't have a fuel guage.
5. It doesn't have leather seats.
6. It doesn't have a back seat.
7. It doesn't have a stereo.
8. It doesn't have DOT legal tires.
9. It has firberglass/no bumpers.
10. It's not California Smog legal.
11. It doesn't weigh over 2 tons.
12. It has tinted windows.
13. It's tubbed.
14. It has non-oem suspension items.
15. It has a spool
16. It has Firecore plug wires
17. It doesn't run on Kerosene.
18. It has headers.
19. It exceeds 80 decibels at 35 feet and 3500 RPM.
20. It has a forward facing hood scoop

This is excuse list 1-20 for 20-2000 scoll down farther.

Extra points for tapping the offending quicker car for more than one violation, the precedent has been set that allows you to use these excuses even if YOUR car suffers from a violation on the list as well!!

My current driver is a 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXI, I've raced it in our local bracket series this year. On a recent pass, a local bracketeer broke his Firebird, and pressed his 1/2 ton tow vehicle into service...he was dialed 2 tenths quicker than I was!

I your car can regularly be outran by everyone's tow vehicles, it's NOT a fast street car....PERIOD!!
Posted By: Comp Chassis 2

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 07:08 AM

Damn! I scored like 18 out of 20. Must not be a street car. I'm going to have to start over.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 10:10 AM

Quote:

This has been an ongoing discussion, since I first started hanging out with street car and drag car guys. The only "Fast" "Street" car is the one you own or have owned previously.

Every car that is faster does not meet the "Street" requirement. Simply repeat this mantra:

1. It doesn't have AC.
13. It's tubbed.
15. It has a spool
18. It has headers.

Extra points for tapping the offending quicker car for more than one violation, the precedent has been set that allows you to use these excuses even if YOUR car suffers from a violation on the list as well!!

My current driver is a 2001 Chrysler Sebring LXI, I've raced it in our local bracket series this year. On a recent pass, a local bracketeer broke his Firebird, and pressed his 1/2 ton tow vehicle into service...he was dialed 2 tenths quicker than I was!

I your car can regularly be outran by everyone's tow vehicles, it's NOT a fast street car....PERIOD!!

Billy..

My Barracuda is good for #5 and #12

So How'd I do?

That's some funny sh!t right there..

Chris...

Attached picture 5390124-roflmao.gif
Posted By: ProSport

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 05:38 PM

Quote:

The term "street car" has become meaningless. There is no authoritative definition and pretty much any car can be claimed to be a street car. The term has become an excuse for those people who feel the need to justify why their car isn't the fastest one on the block. Because car-A is slower than car-B the owner of car-A explains that his is a "street car" and therefore should not be expected to be as fast as car-B. This reasoning fails because the owner of car-B invariably claims that his is also a street car and that the owner of car-A is just jealous. At the end of the day only one fact is known to be true.... car-A is slower than car-B !!!

There is no point in excusing the performance of your car by claiming it's a street car. Likewise, there is no point in denigrating the performance of someone else's car by claiming it's not a street car, as a way of apologizing for why your car is not as fast. Simply accept that your car is not as fast and that the other guy made compromises that you weren't willing to.

Why even waste your breath claiming what should be an obvious assumption.... so your car is a street car, well so is mine and so is his and so is hers.... they're all street cars and you can't prove otherwise.... so what? It's all opinion and everyone has one of those too.

This reply is not directed at anyone or any car in particular; it is simply my opinion regarding the term "street car".

blownEFI for president! Very well said.

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 05:47 PM

Quote:

1. It doesn't have AC.
13. It's tubbed.
15. It has a spool
18. It has headers.

There ALWAYS has to be a on every topic ...

I think that most will agree that it has to be street-legal ..... nothing that could get you a ticket from an "aggressive" officer .. like too-tall scoops, loud exhaust, non-dot tires.

Now for someone to suggest that a car that does not qualify as a street-car because of the lack of AC, tinted windows and/or leather seats .....

GO take your MEDS !
Posted By: Blakcharger440

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 09:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

These days, 9 or 10 sec pump gas cars are easy. Just a mediocre motor with a turbo, a little nitrous, or a pro-charger, will easily get it done.
The same things that work on race gas to make power, work with pump gas as well. You just can't run as much timing. The year we won the Pump Gas Drags with Hogans Chevy II, it had the same nitrous tune we ran on race gas, just a lot less timing. Went a best of 8.15 on pump gas and radials.

Monte

I would like to see somebody run 8's on just 91 pump swill.

I highly doubt that 5 to 9 lbs of boost with a procharger would get you anywhere near a 9 second time slip. If it were so easy as to just slap on a turbo or supercharger and run 9's then everbody would have a 9 second bruiser.

Or you simply have 600 cu inch or more.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/01/09 09:59 PM

Quote:

All our stations have 93 octane premium. That's all I ever put in my car and it's been 9.50s, ON MOTOR. CHIP
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/02/09 12:45 AM

In our family we have 3 different versions of skreet cars. My 18 year old's small block Duster runs low 12's @ 109 mph. My '06 Viper is a little heavier and quicker with more mph and will cruise 85 mph@ 1500 rpm. My Coronet is heavier still and even quicker but has a 140 pound roll cage to save my hide in case of an accident. They all run on 93 pump gas,DOT tires,wipers,horns,lights,mufflers.They all 3 pass state inspection. They get anywhere from 8 to 24 mpg and range from 363 cubic inches to 505.NONE of them have power adders, could be why they are so slow!
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: What classifies a "fast" street car?? - 08/02/09 12:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

All our stations have 93 octane premium. That's all I ever put in my car and it's been 9.50s, ON MOTOR. CHIP

Chip's BIG HEMI will get some yonder on just PUMP GAS!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums