Moparts

Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters?

Posted By: RyanJ

Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/27/09 07:52 PM

Like to hear from anyone who has ran them, either SB 8920's or BB 8921's, particularly if I can find anyone who ran the first generation ones that have a pressed in gold colored retaining ring at the top instead of newer ones that use a normal looking snap ring.

I've got a set of the 1st gen ones in my 448 & can not get them to quiet down no matter where I set preload...I had one that physically would not pump up no matter what, even after repeated cleaning & prep, & replaced it with a new style pair of 8920 SB's that I had laying around, & that fixed that one...

I've only ran Crane Retro Fit's in all the motors I've done in past & never had any issues with them pumping up or being noisy. These old style Comp's just seem to be a troublesome design. I've got a call in to Chris Mays @ Comp cams but am not expecting a return call. Comp does'nt have any of the new 8921's right now, so I don't have alot of options on changing these lifters out. Am trying to find a set of Cranes somewhere, which is what I'd really like to put in it because I know they will work, but that's proving difficult as well.

But just want to see if anyone on here has ran these old Comp's in the past & how they worked for you? The SB 8920's & BB 8921's use the same lifter body, just have different link bars, so experience with either would work.....

BTW Mike @ MM your PM box is full just FYI
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/27/09 07:58 PM

Ryan, check your PM's.
Posted By: MuscleMike

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/27/09 08:27 PM

Now it ain't!

The only other option currently avaiable is the Johnson hyd roller lifter. Scorpion bought them and are making them. They are pretty pround of them (price) but the Johnson stuff is very good stuff.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/28/09 02:09 AM

Mabey you just have too much spring preasure for them If you decide that is the case and want to sell those cheap PM me, mabey I can bum some more money from my wife.

Doug Herbert sells some for a very reasonable price and I have heard nothing bad about them.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/28/09 03:40 AM

I built a 426 street hemi motor last year and used the Comp hydraulic roller lifters, sorry I don't remember the part #. The first set was very noisy when set like Comp recommnended, even resetting them hot I ended up sending them back and the second set was noisy if I set the preload at 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the adsuters, I ended up tightening them up to 5/8 to one full turn hot on all of the adjusters to make them fairly quiet. They finally did quiet down completely after 700 to 1000 street miles

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/28/09 01:54 PM

Mike, NOW you tell me about Scorpions LOL. I never would have thought to check with them on a set, as they don't offer much Mopar stuff. I just priced a set through Liberty & they are way cheaper than the Comp's or Cranes, so probably going to get a set in this week & check them out.

This is a mild hyd roller, it's got like 145 seat 350 open. Makes great power, just noisy.

CAB: that sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.... I've tried pre-load all over the place, & 2 different pushrod lengths. It's now the quietest it's been set like Comp recommends @ aprox 1/8-1/4 turn preload. But it also now has ~60 miles on it & seems like it is getting hair better with milage. I hav'nt really pushed RPM limits yet, I think I had it around 5600-5800 last night a couple times, that's the highest I've had it. 75 PSI oil press, with stock lifter bores, non bushed. It's not an OS bore block.... The oil band in the lifter is lined up with lifter galley.... just bad internal design of the lifters. I see the newer Comps have dual oil feed holes (one on either side) where as these 1st gen Comp's have a single hole.

It seems like the plungers are sticking at certain times causing the lifter to act like a Solid.

Just irritates me, as I rarely use Comp lifter, but EVERY TIME I use their stuff I have a problem.. does'nt matter if it's a Solid roller, a Hyd roller, a Hyd flat tappet or a Solid FT, I've now had issues with them all. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I never had an issue running any type of Crane, in any of the motors I've ever done. Really wish I could just get a set of Cranes for it. Glenn @ GS will be re-releasing the Crane Hyd rollers eventually (after he gets the Ultra Pro line finished), but not anytime soon.

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/29/09 05:20 PM

Picking up a set of Scorpion's this afternoon & will have them in in the AM, (thank God for INDY removable center valley tray). Will post my thoughts on them tomorrow, hopefully they work out well, pricing is right on them, & if Johnson is making them I agree should be good piece.

Was hoping to get car to test & tune on Saturday but dropped tranny pan this AM to swap it to Deep aluminum & found band material.... so time to install new trans as well. This stuff never ends....
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/29/09 06:57 PM

Why not drill the 2nd hole in one of the old lifters and try it out?

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/30/09 04:29 PM

Quote:

Why not drill the 2nd hole in one of the old lifters and try it out?

Uh because I gotta return these pieces of junk & I don't think they'd do anything for me if I had modified them. The lack of 2nd oiling hole is not the "problem" The plungers are sticking.... The scorpions only have a single oil feed hole as well, but it leads into the oiling band in the center of the lifter so, it is getting fed constant pressure/volume.

The Scorpions are in & they sound 100X better, it still has a little noise (nothing unbearable), which I'm attributing to the movement of the link bars. The rivet/link bar design on the Scorpions are little "looser" than the Crane/Comps. Overall I'm pleased with the Scorpions, especially for the price....
Posted By: Classof70Chally

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/30/09 06:49 PM

I've got about 2,000 mi on my set now. They started out pretty quite and got noisier as they wore in. Recently I have one that is bleeding down as it clacks on start-up for a few seconds and then goes away. I'm running about 375# of open pressure and set the initial preload at 1/2 turn. This winter I'm thinking I'll readjust them and go a bit tighter on the preload.
Posted By: vcummins

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/31/09 03:55 PM

Ryan I just pulled A 440 off the dyno running the Comp pro magnums and having the same problems the plungers are sticking. Some 3/4 the way down and some push rods were off when I pulled the valve covers. The cam is 230 int/ 236 exh @ .050. I had my dyno oil pump on making 85 psi.

Looks like I will get the Scorpions.

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/31/09 04:31 PM

Quote:

Ryan I just pulled A 440 off the dyno running the Comp pro magnums and having the same problems the plungers are sticking. Some 3/4 the way down and some push rods were off when I pulled the valve covers. The cam is 230 int/ 236 exh @ .050. I had my dyno oil pump on making 85 psi.

Looks like I will get the Scorpions.

Yeah I had the rockers off getting ready to pull lifters & was standing there looking @ something else, & next thing I know I hear a snap noise coming from engine compartment... did'nt think that much about it.... about 45 seconds later another loud "SNAP" WTH? It was the plungers snapping unstuck...

Just put another 50 miles on the Scorpions yesterday & had them to 6400 RPM last night, so far so good.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/31/09 06:12 PM

Just reading along guys..

Are Comps and Scorpions the only two choices?

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/31/09 06:15 PM

Quote:

Just reading along guys..

Are Comps and Scorpions the only two choices?

And herberts
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 07/31/09 08:52 PM

Herbert sells the comp hyd roller lifters but no house brand for the SBM. Have you purchased some thru Herbert?

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 08/01/09 05:45 AM

They have there brand advertised on there site and they are avout 1/2 the price of any of the comps I have found so I find it hard to beleive it is a comp rebadged but what do I know. I called and almost bought a set but eh sales guy didn't know if they would oil the PR or not.
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 08/01/09 06:14 AM

Whats the PN?
Posted By: CRIKEY

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 08/01/09 11:06 AM

I had the same trouble with the first set I used about 12 months ago, 1 pair wouldnt bleed, I had no choice, I pulled it apart, found the sealing surface at the bottom of the plunger was damaged with 2 minor nicks & so the disc couldnt seal against it. Looks to be an assembly problem.

Needless to say I was on a deadline & my customer tore me a new one when I told him a new pair had to come from the USA
Posted By: ChrisDavis

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 12:40 PM

I have been through 2 sets of Comp Cams 8921 lifters. 4 or 5 have stuck in each set. I have to try something else. From reading above it appears I have only two choices. Does anyone know where can I purchase the Johnson / Scorpion hydraulic roller lifters?
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 05:38 PM

We have had problems with them in both Hemi and small block.Bleeding down on shut off and restart and not staying pumped up at hot run.We found 2 with no valve and 2 with stuck p[lungers as well as scored bores.The sad part is you can't take them apart with the linkbars rivited on.

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 08:51 PM

The GS Products (new Crane) should be available in a matter of days.... they are in final production @ moment. 2 Valving options on them (race/Street) I have 2 sets of Race valving ones on order @ moment......

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 09:09 PM

Summit was nice enough to take the Comp Cams lifters back even though they are over a year old. I ordered a set of Scorpions from them. Now I get to wait because no one, including Scorpion, has them in stock. I will post my results in a couple of weeks.

This lifter problem is probably related to the miss I have been hunting for. Here is the link to the Moparts post on that.

MOPARTS 451 High RPM Breakup / Miss
Posted By: onebaddakota

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 09:14 PM

So Ryan, does this mean your now liking the magnum SB??
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/06/10 09:37 PM

This is interesting. I was just getting ready to order a set of the S/B.

Im really glad i saw this thread! Thanks Everyone!

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/07/10 07:58 PM

I have some further information.

Before I decided to return my entire set of Comp lifters to Summit I had already ordered a single replacement pair. (8921-2) They came in today so I thought before I send them back I would see how they worked. Believe it or not one of the pair is stuck at the top and will not move at all. Comp has a product problem they need to address.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/08/10 11:45 AM

I see summit also lists some crowers for about $360. anyone have any experience with these?
Posted By: 397STROKER

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/08/10 05:59 PM

If you look closely the Crowers are for magnum engines, no link bar. I here that Crower can set them up for a retro fit but that cost extra.

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/08/10 08:42 PM

oh yeah, you're right....the generic pic shows a link bar, but the description shoes "oem" under link bar....

on a magnum block are they really necessary? I've heard of roundy round guys using the stock magnum lifters to ~7K RPM...who knows how aggressive the lobes are or how stiff their springs are, though.

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/09/10 04:14 AM

Quote:

oh yeah, you're right....the generic pic shows a link bar, but the description shoes "oem" under link bar....

on a magnum block are they really necessary? I've heard of roundy round guys using the stock magnum lifters to ~7K RPM...who knows how aggressive the lobes are or how stiff their springs are, though.

Or what has been done to the lifter

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/09/10 10:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Or what has been done to the lifter

true, but the stock magnum lifters I used had very little travel (only ~ .060" or so from what I could measure....about the only thing I can think of doing to a stocker that isn't more hassle than it's worth would be replacing the clip with a snap ring....
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Comp Cams Pro Magnum Hyd Roller Lifters? - 04/09/10 11:58 AM

i've used the bb hyd rollers and had nothing but problems. right now i have a set of comp flat tappet hyd lifters that bleed down and are noisy as heck. they quiet down as the engine comes up to operating temperture, but they're still unacceptable. i'm pretty sure when i call i'll be told this is the first set they've ever heard of doing that. of course that'll be after being on extended hold for about an hour and a half.
© 2024 Moparts Forums