Moparts

Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do?

Posted By: Jacob Pitt

Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do? - 07/24/09 02:16 PM

Always looking for ways to help my Challenger work better and was wondering who has moved their engines back in their cars and what did it accomplish e.t. wise. Did it help the car hook better, and how far did you move it?
Posted By: DennisJ

Re: Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do? - 07/24/09 03:22 PM

I tried to do that years ago,It was way to much work. Everything had to be modified to some degree.Everything from and including the driveshaft forward has to be modded.

Moving the rear end forword is a much easier job.Especially if your car has been tubbed.

Dennis Jokela
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do? - 07/24/09 06:40 PM

In mud racing engine set back makes a huge difference, some rules are focused around engine set back from the front axle in inches, It has more to do with weight transfer than wheelbase
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do? - 07/24/09 06:54 PM

I moved the engine (BB) back in my Duster one inch while building the car, it clears the valve covers, heater and evrything else. I did need to ding the #7 tube on the Hooker fenderwell headers to clear the steering column, probally deoesn't apply to a E or B body I also moved the rear end forward one inch while the car was being built, sectioned and stretch the rear wheel wells 5 inches to hide the move and provide clearance for the bigger tires, see the picture attached. The tires on the car in this picture are 315x60x15 MT ET Street radials mounted on 10 inch wide wheels The car has sixty footed a best of 1.43 so far on those tires motor only with the exhaust and air cleaner on The car has a weight bias of 48.4% on the rear wheels with me in the car, not real good but a bunch better than the last BB Duster I raced that had the motor and rear end in the stock locations

Attached picture 5373096-MVC-045S.JPG
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Who has moved their engine back, and what did it do? - 07/24/09 07:43 PM

I set mine back and it just set there and didn't say a word really depends on your suspension and what the car needs I guess.
© 2024 Moparts Forums