Moparts

Bad pressure gauge?

Posted By: Otherlane

Bad pressure gauge? - 07/17/09 11:47 PM

I fired my engine up for the first time a 3 or 4 weeks ago after being on the dyno but i just hook up my pressure gauge with a new stainless braided line,my oil pressure jumps up to 70 pounds than fall straight to 0.Than if i start it up again the needle doesnt move.This is the first time using this gauge in 4 year.Do you think i need to replace the gauge or could there be something else wrong?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/17/09 11:55 PM

Try a different gauge, also check the line, thats
the easiest

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/17/09 11:57 PM

I thought about trying another gauge.ive been calling all my friend to see if someone has one laying around

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 12:00 PM

Ok I've tired another gauge and the needle goes to 70 than straight to 0. also tied new and used braided #4 premade line,[Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]?
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 12:13 PM

Where are you measuring oil psi at and what oil filter are you using...It sounds like a check valve is stuck open. I would sort this out with a drill motor before you try starting it up again. JMO

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 12:48 PM

I just have the fitting coming out of the top of the block and its a mopar filter.there is oil at the top of the engine
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 12:56 PM

Take the filter off and cut it open. Post your findings. Good idea for post break-in anyway. Try that first...then another filter and drill motor priming.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 01:13 PM

HardcoreB, how would you check to see if a check valve was stuck open?Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 01:14 PM

Quote:

I fired my engine up for the first time a 3 or 4 weeks ago after being on the dyno but i just hook up my pressure gauge with a new stainless braided line,my oil pressure jumps up to 70 pounds than fall straight to 0.Than if i start it up again the needle doesnt move.This is the first time using this gauge in 4 year.Do you think i need to replace the gauge or could there be something else wrong?

try flushing the line out. it's possible you have a little piece of trash in there that blocks the tiny little hole at the guage. you might also check the reief valve in the pump to make sure it's not sticking and staying open.
as mentioned, use a drill and priming rod instead of taking a chance on hurting the motor, just in case.

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 01:37 PM

I crank the motor over in the off postiton on the switch panel and oil comes out of the line that I connect to the gauge. I will get a priming tool until I know what is going on for sure.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Bad pressure gauge? - 07/20/09 01:45 PM

Quote:

I crank the motor over in the off postiton on the switch panel and oil comes out of the line that I connect to the gauge. I will get a priming tool until I know what is going on for sure.

I length of 5/16 hex stock from your local hardware
store works fine for a priming tool, cut to desired
length, some electrical tape around it where it goes
through the bushing to protect the bushing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums