Moparts

Clamp removal on SS springs.

Posted By: clownzilla

Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 08:35 PM

Does removing the clamps on ss springs help or hurt?

I have heard mixed reviews from self proclaimed car show know it alls so I wanted to get the take on this from guys that actually have cars and race them as well. LOL.

Thanks.
Posted By: juicedcuda

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 08:46 PM

I have always been told to add clamps on the front section.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 09:56 PM

It depends on the combination. When I still ran SS springs, it definitely "hit" the tires harder off the line when I removed the rear clamps and added one or two the front section.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:00 PM

Removed the clamps from the rear and added them to the front section duster hooks just fine this way...
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:01 PM

Under no circumstances should anyone consider removing any front clamps. Adding clamps up front can help. But clamp removal is normally discussed on the rear 1/2.

Some people say that removing the clamps on the rear 1/2 helps the body rise/seperate and push the tires into the track harder. While some have done it without problems, it can cause too much rise too quickly, hurt traction and cause u-joint/pinion angle problems. Personally, I prefer to keep the rear clamps on, as designed and delivered, and rely on proper shocks to control the rise of the rear suspension. As with most bolt-on performance parts, it requires asking around, particularly people with similar combos, and testing.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:09 PM

I am getting some wheel hop at times under normal take off without getting on it hard at all.

Was looking for ideas.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:14 PM

Quote:

I am getting some wheel hop at times under normal take off without getting on it hard at all.

Was looking for ideas.

Is the body separating alot...... better shocks, you
need to control the separation rate

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:17 PM

Clamp the front 1/2, tire clearance permitting, and try stiffer rear shocks.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/14/09 10:41 PM

I get it.

I am running the drag race shocks from mancini's, brand new.
Also I have 1.5 inch lowering blocks because the high arch springs were a bit too high.
Maybe the shocks are too short now with the lowering blocks in.

I would like to rig up a camera back there to see exactly what is going on.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/15/09 12:44 AM

By the way, thanks for all yer help fella's.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/15/09 12:59 AM

* Just to get a rough idea, unbolt the bottom of the shocks, jack up the rear of the car and support the weight on jack stands under the frame rails - letting the rear suspension hang. Then see how far the shocks extend and their relationship to where the shock studs are hanging.

* The lowering blocks may be upsetting how the SS suspension is suppose to work.

* Which shocks do you have. The Mopar auto drag shocks are the softest. The Comp. Eng. are stiffer and Ranchos can be adjusted pretty stiff. Never tried the others.

* Somebody still makes shock extensions for mopars if the shocks are too short. But the lowering blocks basically shorten the shock installed height. See how far they compress from the installed ride height - with the weight/wheels still on the ground.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/15/09 02:11 AM

Thanks loco.

I'll give that a try.

Re: Clamp removal on SS springs. - 07/15/09 02:14 AM

I checked the part# on the shocks I got from mancini's.

P4529514 (40991).
© 2024 Moparts Forums