Moparts

Symptoms of a coil going bad?

Posted By: mikemotorhead

Symptoms of a coil going bad? - 06/30/09 03:20 PM

Can a coil going bad give me a intermittant high rpm(6500) miss?
Thanks Mike
Posted By: SportF

Re: Symptoms of a coil going bad? - 06/30/09 11:05 PM

Yes. Intermitant miss, intermitant start and run ok, then quit and not start. Missing at any or all the time is certainly a possiblity. It can be very fustrating. You need a spare coil as a tool to install just to see if problems go away. I have checked them with a meter and got passing results only to have them quit later. I have seen poor resistance readings, but seem to run ok. Heat is a factor for working/not working. I pulled my coil wire at the distributor once to check the connection and there was oil dripping out of the wire coming from the coil. Like I said, you really should have a coil to use as a spare.
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: Symptoms of a coil going bad? - 06/30/09 11:58 PM

Quote:

Yes. Intermitant miss, intermitant start and run ok, then quit and not start. Missing at any or all the time is certainly a possiblity. It can be very fustrating. You need a spare coil as a tool to install just to see if problems go away. I have checked them with a meter and got passing results only to have them quit later. I have seen poor resistance readings, but seem to run ok. Heat is a factor for working/not working. I pulled my coil wire at the distributor once to check the connection and there was oil dripping out of the wire coming from the coil. Like I said, you really should have a coil to use as a spare.

I agree, I now carry a spare coil, and I also mounted a second ECU within connection reach of my regular one.
Heat was also a factor with my coil.
Posted By: abodiesonly1

Re: Symptoms of a coil going bad? - 07/01/09 12:01 AM

Yes....I just had to return a brand new MSD coil for a high rpm miss.
Posted By: mikemotorhead

Re: Symptoms of a coil going bad? - 07/01/09 03:00 PM

Thanks for the replys
Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums