Moparts

727 Questions

Posted By: moparniac

727 Questions - 06/30/09 01:24 PM

Aluminum Drum or CSR Carbon fiber shield?

whats the difference between 5.0/4.2 kick down levers?

Posted By: MrSixpack

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 01:26 PM

Quote:

Aluminum Drum or CSR Carbon fiber shield?

Why not both, I have both for safty.

whats the difference between 5.0/4.2 kick down levers?

Now day's we only use the 4.2, with the 5.0 there is an overlap when shifting gears.

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 01:28 PM

BOTH. For a street car I'd use the steel drum. Mine is the A&A piece, very nice. After my explosion last fall, I'll never drive another car w/o a shield or blanket of some sort on it. I have the CSR shield on mine and had one on it when the trans exploded...it kept my feet attached to my legs.

On the kickdown levers, I don't know. I never bothered to ask my trans builder what he put in it. Maybe someone who knows more about them will answer that for you. CHIP

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 02:20 PM

Quote:

BOTH. For a street car I'd use the steel drum. Mine is the A&A piece, very nice. After my explosion last fall, I'll never drive another car w/o a shield or blanket of some sort on it. I have the CSR shield on mine and had one on it when the trans exploded...it kept my feet attached to my legs.

On the kickdown levers, I don't know. I never bothered to ask my trans builder what he put in it. Maybe someone who knows more about them will answer that for you. CHIP

I had the CSR on my chally...... Excellent piece

Just wondering if its worth the extra coin to get the drum also!
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 02:29 PM

the kickdown lever really depends on the valve body manufacturer and what they recomend for your application - Griner suggests a 3.2 or 3.8

Read this - it will answer alot of questions you might have - 8 pages

727 Built right
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 02:41 PM

billet steel drum and a blanket here also. as far as the k/d lever, the number indicates the ratio of the lever. a 5.0 lever is 5:1, which means it takes a longer stroke of the servo to apply, but it holds with more force. it's also slower to release. it's a trade-off like everything else. always use the lever recommended by the manufacturer of your valve body or shift kit/ trans kit.

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 02:50 PM

The shield has to be there to pass tech inspection at the track and will keep the trans explosion contained. You NEED the good drum. If you don't put it in now, you will regret it... I know I did. Even with the good drum in it, you should still put a shield on it. Anything can break, but like I said, the shield is mandatory if you're gonna race at a track that has tech inspections. CHIP

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 03:08 PM

Quote:

The shield has to be there to pass tech inspection at the track and will keep the trans explosion contained. You NEED the good drum. If you don't put it in now, you will regret it... I know I did. Even with the good drum in it, you should still put a shield on it. Anything can break, but like I said, the shield is mandatory if you're gonna race at a track that has tech inspections. CHIP

thx ill just get both.... also chip im gonna get another converter from your guy... I liked the one in my chally
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 727 Questions - 06/30/09 05:25 PM

Hands down the A+A drum and don't use the 5.0 lever , either a 3.8 or 4.2 , also get the HD band strut .
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: 727 Questions - 07/01/09 12:45 AM

Quote:

the kickdown lever really depends on the valve body manufacturer and what they recomend for your application - Griner suggests a 3.2 or 3.8

I have a Griner valve body and I run a 3.8 lever and 5 clutch front drum (aluminum of course), plus the shield (required safety equipment). I recommend both, but the drum (aftermarket steel or aluminum) is the most important, but the shield is required by rule (and good idea).
Posted By: DJVCuda

Re: 727 Questions - 07/01/09 01:02 AM

the more pressure you run, the less lever you need - according to Steve Griner.

Wedgie - click that link I posted in my last post - John Cope of CRT helped me with a very informative article you would get alot out of.

Re: 727 Questions - 07/01/09 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thx ill just get both.... also chip im gonna get another converter from your guy... I liked the one in my chally

Cool! Dave's a good guy and builds some awesome converters. Stands behind his work too. CHIP
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: 727 Questions - 07/01/09 08:12 PM

AFAIK the 5.0 lever was designed for the hemi transmission. It has its own special setup, and is not used for any application but that.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 727 Questions - 07/01/09 08:44 PM

A lot of the stuff that was considered de rigueur in the sixties has dropped out of favor; the "Hemi only" lever, wide band, and wide drum didn't really do what they were expected to do compared to modern thinking.
© 2024 Moparts Forums