Moparts

How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ?

Posted By: 383man

How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 10:38 AM

Just curious how many actually drive their street/strip cars to their local tracks ? I drive mine to my local track at 45 miles away but my brother lives only 5 miles from the track so if I break I can tow my car to his garage and fix it. Other tracks that are 1-1/2 hrs away in the other direction I try to get a tow when I go there as it would cost big money to have it towed by a towing company if I broke. I really enjoy driving to the track but I do understand that you have to be prepared if it breaks. Ron

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 10:44 AM

I drove my cars all the time until I lost 2 motors in 3 weeks. Closest track was 32 miles, farthest was Kearney at 700.
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:07 AM

I used to drive my 11 second Valiant to the track exclusively, including the 3+ hour drive to the Mopar Nats. That was until my boys started coming with me. On the slim chance the car might let me down, I wasn't willing to be sitting by the edge ofthe road with my kids too.

Besides, they really appreciate the air conditioning and video system in the tow vehicle.

Attached picture 5309792-joe-trophy.jpg
Posted By: rebel

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:13 AM

when i first got into dragracing i used to drive my '71 'cuda 340 to the track. the car was doing low 13's & was a weapon on the open highway. would almost always get a race up the 3 lane highway up a steep sweeping hill on the way home. was about 3 miles of uphill driving & at times there would have been 5-6 cars driving 100mph+. i figured that one day i might get busted for speeding or have a accident with some boozo driver but no, i ran a bearing instead. i built a big block after that, never got around to fitting an exhaust so i just trailered it the track from that day on. i miss the racing but i guess we have to grow up sometime.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:16 AM

Does it count if I haven't had it to the track yet?

it's a hopefully, 12 second big block, manual tranny dakota. I've got about 3400 miles on it now, and am making some changes to be track legal, but even then, it'll be much more street than strip...but I've driven it on 5 hour road trips without major issue...some small things here and there, but it never left me stranded...for long
Posted By: Dragula

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:29 AM

I do/did twice last week. And I have been driving it to work the last couple of days, cause the dually is in the shop again.
Posted By: FlyFish

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:50 AM

I used to drive mine to the track when I lived in Colorado, about 30 miles each way. The car would click off a string of 11.1’s at 122 (360 on the bottle) and drive home. I started to trailer the car because I would have to pull over to cool the car down on occasion when then temp was 90+. Trailering also helped with consistency at the track…oh yeah, trailers are great when you snap a u-joint coming off the line and manage to kill the yoke in the process…DAMHIK.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:57 AM

I have driven mine to the track to race before, and yes that was with the hemi running 9s as it sits right now. Did it a few times just to prove a point to some friends. I normally trailer it simply b/c a 3800# car running 9s is hard on parts and it sucks to be almost an hour from home and have to call someone to pick me up if something fails.

The guys that have been to the Pump Gas Drags can tell you how bad the drive from Comp Cams to Memphis Motorsports Park in May is. HOT and humid as crap, stop and go traffic through construction zones, interstate driving, etc. That 33 mile drive knocked out quite a few so-called street cars...myself and several others here did it with no problem. Drove it to work this morning actually. CHIP
Posted By: codfish

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 12:56 PM

I drove mine out fathers day to our "airport" race.

7.5 in the 1/8th. In the rain

codfish
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 01:14 PM

i do. the track i go to is about 40 miles away

Attached picture 5309950-track001.jpg
Posted By: BradH

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 01:50 PM

My Challenger runs mid-to-high 10s in full street trim and is always driven to the track. I've taken it as far as up to E-town (4 hours one way), but even MIR where I've done most of my testing (and occasional racing when I've had the time) is about 1.5 hours away.

It did go home via tow truck one time in 1997 when I threw a rod at the 1000 ft. mark... and still managed to win that round, amazingly. I just couldn't find a way to make it back to the staging lanes for the next round, though.
Posted By: Shaker223

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 02:06 PM

Everytime. 100 miles round trip 12.30s @ 110
Posted By: longram60

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:11 PM

I drive mine. Just did the Hot Rod Reunion at Bowling Green this past weekend, about 110 miles each way. I've driven and raced at the Mopar Nationals, and Monster Mopar weekend from Tennessee in the past. I run low 13's.

I've broken once, last year in Memphis NMCA finals. Had to call the missus to rent a trailer and come fetch me.

my car at the HR Reunion from thee Bangshift.com site:

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:21 PM

It is really cool when you drive to the track and trailer a towed race car that can happen sometimes if you race the right cars. I ran 11.50's three weeks ago when my son and I drove to the track. Ron

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:27 PM

I've gotten the "Where's your trailer???" question on more than one occasion when people have stopped by in the pits to check out my car after it's made a pass on the track.

There was a guy w/ a Pro Stock-looking Camaro and encolosed trailer was pitted right next to me. He was running (only?) about 1/2 second quicker than I was that day and it turned out when we talked that he lives about 10 minutes from me. He couldn't believe that I always drove it to the track. Like I told him, I don't even own a truck or a trailer... what else am I going to do?

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:32 PM

street cars are usually much faster than bracket race cars anymore.
Posted By: 73swinger

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:45 PM

80-85 miles 1 way mid to high 12's

I now have a truck, just need a trailer. The peace of mind about getting home if something should happen would be nice.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 04:48 PM

I usually drive it. That way no one can put me on the trailer. lol.

It's a lot of fun to go rounds against trailered cars too. I got to the semi-finals in a big No Box race and was the only one who had driven the car there out of 75 cars.

Mine runs high 12's and the track is about 25 minute drive. We do have a truck and open trailer at home on standby. The only time I broke it so I couldn't drive it home was one of the few times we had trailered it there.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 05:34 PM

I always drive my car unless the track is far away, and I have the truck and trailer available.

I've been to the track 14 times this year, Made 74 passes so far, only two of those times have I trailered, and one track was 140 miles each way, and the other was about 60. This friday, I'm making the drive to the 60 mile track for a weekend of racing, no truck or trailer.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 05:50 PM

I do, but haven't in a couple years, am trying to get back this year, and it ain't easy, blah blah blah, excuses excuses

I don't have a tow rig....yet...but have borrowed a buddy's truck and trailer before, and though it's alot of work to load/unload that as opposed to just driving the car to the track....I honestly think I like trailering it a little better. I'm more relaxed and seem to go a little faster for some reason (no heat soak maybe?) But agree with above... it's alot of fun to beat trailered stuff when you drove there, and when you have no choice anyway might as well be proud of it

Posted By: TexasStroker

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 06:04 PM

Not owning a trailer kind of necessitates driving to the track

I've usually got something to work on when the track is open, or if I'm free there is rain and/or 70 mph winds...been a weird year down here

Most of the folks in AAM drive their cars, aside from the purpose-built racers.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 06:22 PM

I driven all of mine 50+ miles depending on which track. The Charger will be next 75-80 is around 20, Capitol is about 30 and Mason Dixon is 50.
12.08 @ 114
Posted By: Dartman75

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 06:42 PM

I like the way this thread changed how I think about this. All the time I see these types of "My car runs xx.xx and I drive it to the track" but really, lots of cars are capable of dual duty. My track is only about 20 minutes and 20 miles away. I always drive, because I have no tow vehicle and my car is 99% street driver. For the once or twice a year it'll see a track it's not worth owning a trailer. What I hadn't considered much about doing track duty, is that things can happen and eventually will happen. If you do break something, or some small unfixable happens, you're waiting on a tow truck and a pretty hefty bill. I guess if I had to travel quite a distance to run a race, the convenience of knowing, no matter what happens I can get myself home, is going to outweigh any concerns of not being seen as a "true street machine". As another member mentioned, haiving AC and a bit of comfort for a long trip is also a nice luxury that 30-40 year old cars seldom offer.

I guess I never will use a trailer due to my proximity to my race track and the ease/cost of getting a tow home. But if that ever changes, I can't see myself driving an hour each way and not wanting to trailer my car around.

Although if I get into a bit of Auto X that distance advantage I have will go away, and I will have to weigh that into my decision on whether to even go or just hold out for events closer to home.

Another consideration is gas availability. Depending distance to track and how many runs I make, my local track doesn't seem to have fuel, so my time on the strip is a bit limited by that factor. A nice trailer with stuff like that would be helpful if I did want to go to more races, further races or longer racing sessions.

Greg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 07:08 PM

I always trailer mine to the track its over an hour away,but i do drive it on the street..break down at the track and you'll wish you had a trailer
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 08:10 PM

I trailer my Dart in an enclosed trailer. My D150 runs low to mid 15s I drive it to the track go rounds in Street Eliminator or Trophy Class and drive home. Come to think of it I do better racing the truck than the Dart, won the Pickup Truck Challenge at Island Dragway 3 out of 4 years runner-up the other, won Trophy Class at Mopars at E Town this year,and was runner-up in Street Eliminator at Chryslers at Carlisle/ Quarter Aces Dragway last year. Looking forward to going back to Carlisle in a couple weeks and racing the truck again.

Attached picture 5310752-hpqscan0001.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 08:30 PM

I trailer mine due to the distance to the closest track being 80 miles

Attached picture 5310780-IMG_0005.JPG
Posted By: gearhead01

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/23/09 11:51 PM

My Satellite has always been driven, but it is only a mid 14 second best. Over 100 passes and nothing broken (yet).

My in process Valiant is planned to be low 11/high 10's, and driven to and from. At least, thats how I "sold" the project to my wife. No extra costs for a truck and trailer.

John
Posted By: Adobedude

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 01:04 AM

I trailer my Dakota behind a Ram 2500.

Driving through Albuquerque, New Mexico at 1:00am is the scariest, most dangerous thing I've probably ever done. I like the extra sheetmetal the Ram provides. Trust me, you would too.

I'd say 95% of the people on the road at that time in the morning are drunk, the other 5% are looking to get drunk so they're on a mission. It's absolutely insane.

I drove the Dakota to the track once. Never ever will I do it again.

Drag racing is 1000% safer than driving to and from the track.
Posted By: dirtybee

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 01:10 AM

i just drove to and from montreal from toronto ( about 6-7 hours) in the bee for a 2 week stay and while i was there i finally broke into the 12's at 106 and change. the track at napierville is about 20-25 minutes from downtown, and friday nights time trials are 10 bucks to race and 6 to watch. i'm thinking i should move back to my hometown (mtl.) cause it was fun as heck. 8 3/4 axles may not be bulletproof but i baught a cheap 2.76 open pig for the long drive and once in montreal the 3.91 sg came out of the trunk and an hour later my 13.8 bee became a 12.9 bee.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 01:55 AM

I always make it there but I have broken a few transmissions and had to get a trailer home. I once drove it home with half a clutch disc,now that was a serious vibration I have since worked on the clutch and got a good strong transmission.
Gus

Attached picture 5311380-READY2.JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 02:08 AM

Mine gets trailered, the three tracks I run at are all 90-110 miles away. No way with 4.30 gears will I drive it there. To many idiots out there not to mention that the wife likes to ride in the air conditioner . It ran 7.20s in the 1/8 on pump 93 with the 340.
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 02:11 AM

My car runs 7.60-7.70 1/8 mile.I USED to drive it to the tracks.I had two 904's go bad in one season.After that I bought a open trailer.
I live less than 3 miles from my job,and have driven the car to work a few times here lately.I have been tempted to drive it into town lately,but I don't know how the law would like the Bullet muffler's and the M./T. slicks.The 4.30 gear is sort of a drawback for much highway cruising.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 02:25 AM

I drove mine to englishtown from new haven ct area. Through New York City car ran 12.99 at 107. I plan on driving it to epping this fall.
Posted By: qwkmopardan

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 02:36 AM

I have driven the "300" as far as 150 miles one way. Both times I made the drive I won the Pro class. One other track I drove 115 miles one way and entered it in Pro and SuperPro and won S/pro [$2000] and semi finals in Pro. First time I had that car to that raceteack [I-57] and will never forget the looks and comments while I was putting the BFG Radial TAs back on for the 1 hr 45 minute ride home after winning S/pro in a big old tuna-boat Chrysler "300". Car was trailered to Montgomery for the 100000 footbrake race as it is 6 hours one way. Car has a 408 sm block w/ported junkyard heads, full exhaust system w/4 mufflers. Has gone 11.600 at 116mph 1/4 mile and 7.29 at 95mph and 1.58 60ft. 4200lbs w/my fat a$$ in it

Posted By: SCATPK

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 03:18 AM

I drive my gtx everwhere and it never sees a trailer. It has been driven over 700 miles in a single weekend and has never let me down while playing at the track. It is more street than race and far as gearing, cam and interior comforts go but I have driven it 100 miles raced it and driven it home more than once with no issues.

Attached picture 5311587-DSC01722(Large).JPG

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

I trailer my Dakota behind a Ram 2500.

Driving through Albuquerque, New Mexico at 1:00am is the scariest, most dangerous thing I've probably ever done. I like the extra sheetmetal the Ram provides. Trust me, you would too.

I'd say 95% of the people on the road at that time in the morning are drunk, the other 5% are looking to get drunk so they're on a mission. It's absolutely insane.

I drove the Dakota to the track once. Never ever will I do it again.

Drag racing is 1000% safer than driving to and from the track.

i have been in the worst parts of almost every city in the country. new mexico was the only place that scared me
Posted By: quickd100

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 10:17 AM

I can and I have but normally I'll trailer it. Alot less hassles if you come prepared and don't have to do a bunch of work at the track. And....you've got to remember the golden rule, "Anything made by man can, and will, BREAK"
Dave
Posted By: roadrunnerreds

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 10:45 AM

I drive the dart to Quarter Aces Dragway. still tuning the dart. so far a best of 7.58 @ 87.69 mph with a 1.59 60 ft. it is about 25 minute drive from my house. By the way 383man i am a huge fan of 63`s. Brad

Attached picture 5311863-l_44012fe922f34982a1d6badb7dc1e499.jpg
Posted By: Valiant_Showoff

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 12:48 PM

Quote:

....... By the way 383man i am a huge fan of 63`s......

Me too

Attached picture 5311995-valiant-1.JPG
Posted By: Harley

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 02:23 PM

I plan on driving mine to the track; it’s about 55 miles each way. What do you guys do about tires? Do you stick your slicks in the trunk, or run street tires/drag radials?

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 02:26 PM

I run M/T ET street drag radials. I've swapped tires at the track but that sucks, lol. I like to air down my tires, uncap my exhaust, and be ready to run as soon as they open the lanes.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 02:33 PM

Quote:

I plan on driving mine to the track; it’s about 55 miles each way. What do you guys do about tires? Do you stick your slicks in the trunk, or run street tires/drag radials?

Depends on what tires...tires like MT ET streets or drag radials and McCreary Road Stars are fine for driving but any regular slick I'd put in the trunk.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 03:20 PM

When I was young I use to drive to Detroit Dragway
with my 62 Dart with a Hemi, at the time I didnt have
a trailer and finally wished I did... broke a axle
and had to get a buddy to bring his wrecker out to
get me. After that episode of sitting out side of the
track(the track moved it out for me, so they could close)
I said never again... I finally made it home about 3
in the morning... since then if I'm racing the car
goes on a trailer. Plus I could never carry all the
stuff that I needed in the trunk
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 03:45 PM

I drove a few of my cars to and from the track lots of times. The average round trip was 150miles, but even drove my mid 11 second car almost 1000 miles in a weekend including a few drag strip passes in between. If I had the space and the money, I would have a nice truck and trailer and race without fear of breaking anything, and knowing I'm making it home in comfort no matter what. Well, still no extra space or money, so my new car is also being built to handle the drive to and from the track.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 05:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Me too

Thanks guys. I always have my race tires on at home and drive up on them. I dont like to do work at the track. I drove up last time on Hoosier radial slicks and raced on them and drove home on them.. All I do is drop the tire press when I get to the track.. I have never uncapped my 63 as I always run it thru the pipes. Ron

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 05:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Me too

Thanks guys. I always have my race tires on at home and drive up on them. I dont like to do work at the track. I drove up last time on Hoosier radial slicks and raced on them and drove home on them.. All I do is drop the tire press when I get to the track.. I have never uncapped my 63 as I always run it thru the pipes. Ron

Ron I just picked up a set of the Hoosier Drag Radial slicks (DOT) They are the ones w/ 2 groves, how do they work? what pressure do you run at the track. I was thinking of starting at 20lbs

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 05:44 PM

Quote:

I used to bring a set of slicks to swap at the track, but have the car hooking just as well now on M/T ET Street Radials.

Wanna know what my "get ready to race" routine is now when I take the car to the track? I unload my tools from the trunk, let the car cool down, and lower the rear tire pressures. That's it.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 05:46 PM

Cost me $500 to tow from Norwalk back to Pgh after trans explosion but I still drive the car to track 55 miles one way even when its 90+ outside with 4.56 gears to boot But it is a street car with over 1100 passes on the engine. Drive it if you can and tow if you must.

By the way AAA has 200 mile towing with there Prem Plan
Posted By: mopowers

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 05:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I used to bring a set of slicks to swap at the track, but have the car hooking just as well now on M/T ET Street Radials.

Wanna know what my "get ready to race" routine is now when I take the car to the track? I unload my tools from the trunk, let the car cool down, and lower the rear tire pressures. That's it.

What do you do with your tools when you're in the lanes?

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/24/09 05:58 PM

Quote:

Cost me $500 to tow from Norwalk back to Pgh after trans explosion but I still drive the car to track 55 miles one way even when its 90+ outside with 4.56 gears to boot But it is a street car with over 1100 passes on the engine. Drive it if you can and tow if you must.

By the way AAA has 200 mile towing with there Prem Plan

yup used it twice, broke a rear once and burned a piston up...

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track - 06/24/09 06:03 PM

Quote:

What do you do with your tools when you're in the lanes?

The tracks I usually go to are places where it's OK to leave stuff in the pits w/o having to bolt them down.

There are some tracks I've been to where that's not the case. In those situations I can usually find people with whom I can leave my stuff in their trucks or trailers. But that's really a rare occasion.
Posted By: cudadan

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 02:33 AM

the only time will ever see a trailer is if it breaks,, its only a mid 11's car
Posted By: 440mag

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 02:54 AM

I drive it to another country to race.

I have brought it home broken on a trailer three times in 11 years. Hopefully for the last time.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Me too

Ron I just picked up a set of the Hoosier Drag Radial slicks (DOT) They are the ones w/ 2 groves, how do they work? what pressure do you run at the track. I was thinking of starting at 20lbs

Are you sure they are a drag radial and not a bias tire ?? I know the radial slicks from Hoosier says Radial right on the tire. And the QTP tires that I did run had 2 groves in them but they were a bias tire. Ron
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 03:12 AM

Don't go too often, but when I do, I drive 270 miles round trip to Famoso & back. With a C body, you have a built in storage unit! Spare parts, mounted drag radials, nitrous tank, pop-up tent & tools all in the trunk! 12.7 sec car, not the fastest. But, I've seen plenty of slow cars break at the track... especially if they're heavy like mine.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 11:26 AM

"Are you sure they are a drag radial and not a bias tire ?? I know the radial slicks from Hoosier says Radial right on the tire. And the QTP tires that I did run had 2 groves in them but they were a bias tire. Ron"

yup here ya go. They say "radial" right on the side.

Attached picture 5313824-4571_12.jpg
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 02:47 PM

Well...

Attached picture 5314134-balt.jpg
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 03:47 PM

my car is more a race car that's street legal. i drive 50 miles each way, pump gas, ten second a body. driving it to the track is a hoot, passing all the racers with million dollar coaches and enclosed trailers. honking my horn, of course.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 05:35 PM

I admit I sometimes miss the simplicity of driving in and racing like I do with my p/u but its even nicer when it rains to have the car hi and dry in the trailer. Not to mention when traveling out of state the car is locked up in the trailer at night at the track or hotel on the way there. When arriving at an out of state destination the car is clean and dry, free of road scum.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 06:33 PM

All you guys that drive to the track,what do you do if your car breaks???..wait for the tow truck??...
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 07:22 PM

Quote:

Don't go too often, but when I do, I drive 270 miles round trip to Famoso & back. With a C body, you have a built in storage unit! Spare parts, mounted drag radials, nitrous tank, pop-up tent & tools all in the trunk! 12.7 sec car, not the fastest. But, I've seen plenty of slow cars break at the track... especially if they're heavy like mine.

...I can attest to his claim. You wouldn't believe the pile of stuff he had taken out of his trunk....lol. It looked like he was going camping!

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 07:25 PM

I drive mine to the track too....but it's only 25 miles or so each way.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 07:41 PM

Quote:

All you guys that drive to the track,what do you do if your car breaks???..wait for the tow truck??...

YUP

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 07:44 PM

Quote:

broke twice. cost $150

how much did your trailer cost?

Attached picture 5314650-BROKE.jpg

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 09:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

broke twice. cost $150

how much did your trailer cost?

And the truck to haul it?

Yes, blowing up your street car at the track sucks. For me, it's been only once and the other times I've hurt the car (converter, differential) I've still been able to limp it home. You make your choices and pay for the "piggyback ride" home when things turn out that way.
Posted By: Tig

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 10:11 PM

Once the car started running into the 11's we sorta stopped driving it to the local track, 75 miles one way and got a trailer. More than once we drove to the track, ran lo/mid 12's on the saturday then drove 50 miles one way to a cruise, back to the track for a BBQ and beers and watch the sun come up. Man I usually felt rough racing on the sunday
250 miles and 20+ passes a weekend @ 10mpg, it was expensive but memorable.
Car is still street legal and putts to the local cruise but we trailer it to the tracks now. A 200mile trip usually takes 5 hours due to traffic, crappy roads, roadworks etc and I've broke it a few times now. We hope to get another car which will be a mild street stripper 528ci and hopefully running 11's. Really miss those "road trips"
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 10:16 PM

Being a 28 mile long island we always drive to the track. We can see the lights form our house. Our routine is to throw the slicks in the boot, drop the exhaust, which is only 4 bolts each side, then bolt on the collector extensions. Motor on down to the truck. We have friends who have heavy duty floor jacks we can borrow but always bring a small one just in case. We pull in, jack the car up , change to the slicks. lower the torsion bars and off we go. We just leave the tools in a milk crate, our track is pretty good that way. Even if I had drag radials or ET Streets I would still change them at the track as our road would kill them.

So far I have broken one axle shaft, lost a rocker arm adjusting screw, and had the clutch go. In the case of the axle shaft, I was able to get to the bottom of our hill as at the time it had a clutch style sure grip in the 8-3/4. I had already called Michelle to bring her Land Rover, a rope and some rum, as she had stayed home for whatever reason. Had to use the Land Rover to pull it up the hill as the sure grip clutch could not hold it. Now, with the Tru-trac in the S60 that is in the car now I would not have been able to make it tot eh base of our hill but the chances of breaking the S60 are much lower, too.

The rocker arm I just limped home. The clutch failed by not disengaging so that was not too big of a deal in terms of limping home.

So far we have not been bothered by the Gendarmes with the collector extensions on. Once a couple of cops in uniform were working security at the gate. They just said "Sounds good".
Posted By: longram60

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 10:18 PM

Quote:

Trailer rental cost about $150. Already had a vehicle to tow it:

Attached picture 5314943-Dscf0166.jpg

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 10:19 PM

Quote:

Call my brother to bring his trailer up and tow me to his house as he lives only 5 miles from Cecil where I usually race. Ron

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 10:51 PM

This thread has inspired me to update my signature.
Posted By: thecarfarmer

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 11:08 PM

I drove my Valiant to the track and raced, but it just had a stock 383. So I didn't worry much.

My truck will make me worry a bit more about breakage (4.25" crank 383, solid roller); I'll be in the market for a cheap open trailer, and weld a hitch on the Crown Vic when money frees up.

But I'll probably drive it to Bremerton or Pacific (with the 'pucker string' tight) a time or two before a trailer appears...

-Bill

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/25/09 11:14 PM

Quote:

Call my husband to bring our truck and trailer from home 20 minutes away.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 01:01 AM

Quote:

"Are you sure they are a drag radial and not a bias tire ?? I know the radial slicks from Hoosier says Radial right on the tire. And the QTP tires that I did run had 2 groves in them but they were a bias tire. Ron"

I dont think I have seen them from Hoosier before. Are they listed as a drag radial and do they get very sticky ? Ron
Posted By: enelson

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 01:35 AM

I don't need a trailer, I have a 496" dart with caltracs and drag radials... street car...

What, me worry?
Posted By: goldmember

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 01:48 AM

I made hundreds of trips to the track,most tracks were 25-40miles from the house,one track Jackson Dragway I had 125 mile drive each way. In my 11 second duster only once did I have a failure and that was a flat on the ride home. I plugged it and put air in and got home. some years ago I decided to take my Dakota to the all Mopar race at Jackson Dragway,what could go wrong with a 14 flat street truck? Well long story short,made the finals,won the round and on the U turn to head back to the pits the truck wouldn't pull itself. Darn 7 1/4" rear had enough and left me walking to the pits. Since friends were waiting to tow back to Memphis,we left my truck at the track(owner left the gate unlocked),then dropped a car in Memphis turned around went back(125miles) slid the axle in enough to get it to drive onto the trailer. Got home before the sun came up.I had lots of fun and never missed having a trailer,enjoyed putting cars on the trailer then passing them on the highway to the house.
Posted By: KOS

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 03:05 AM

i do 70mile round trip 9.7s so far SB N/A 3365lb dart 9"tire stock suspension.
Posted By: blairboy3

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 08:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...I can attest to his claim. You wouldn't believe the pile of stuff he had taken out of his trunk....lol. It looked like he was going camping!

I could have had my own swap meet

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 11:58 AM

Quote:

AAA plus... free hook up free tow $150 a year for my wife and I, including all kinds of other services. I highly recommend it.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 12:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I dont think I have seen them from Hoosier before. Are they listed as a drag radial and do they get very sticky ? Ron

Drag Radial...got them of of e-bay $238 shipped for the pair. I haven't mounted them up yet but the seem pretty sticky. The guy claims only 4 passes and they look it. Plus he said he was cutting 1.40 60 foot!
Posted By: aarcuda

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 01:34 PM

i always drive to the track. 70 miles each way with 4.30 gear. runs low to mid 12's. friend have trailers that I can hitch a ride on (and drive theirs home) if something breaks
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 05:46 PM

i do drive to the track with my duster
Posted By: 65signet

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 08:22 PM

We always drive to the track and race, the trailer is a pain in the a---ss

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 08:24 PM

Its hard work running a low 11 sec Charger to the strip, changing to slicks etc, but well worth it.
We have two local strips, one 50mile the other 100.
Its all about having the best of both and not using a trailer and having some fun on the street, long as the cops dont getya
Have breakdown cover on my insurance cover for the £25 exstra, it sure is worth it and yea it does get used alot. Allways tow the car just out of the strip grounds.
Ok when your moving on the freeway with the cool air vents open But at the strip its a different mater in the pit lanes

Attached picture 5316787-IMG_4820.jpg
Posted By: Runner

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 08:53 PM

Quote:

thats funny. do you drive to the track long distances with a sticky tire on or do you change them at the track?

i trailer my junk for a couple different reasons. 110 miles one way is the closest track. and a/c after being in the hot sun all day is really nice. and when ive need to run into town to get something ( like a motor mount) it was nice to have a spare vehicle. if i had a track closer id drive. ive always driven my green car to the track when ive raced it, but its a daily driver.

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 10:30 PM

I'm putting AC on my car as we speak....

I'm going to install a catch can on the evaporator drain....

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/26/09 10:40 PM

Thats nice you can call AAA,but the beauty of owning a trailer is being able to take your car anywhere anytime and if it does break your not sitting around waiting for the tow driver..and the cost of the trailer is way offset by having the peace of mind knowing,i can break everytime and not worry about getting it home,or being at the mercy of some tow truck driver..

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 12:25 AM

Build stuff that doesn't break....

Hope I didn't jinks myself! lol.....

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 04:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats funny. do you drive to the track long distances with a sticky tire on or do you change them at the track?

I'm using M/T ET Street Radials 24x7 these days.
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 07:40 PM

I've driven this one as far as 3-1/2 hours one way. It's 4000lbs, 3.73 gear and drag radials. It went 6.745 at 108.44 last night in the 1/8th.

Attached picture 5318466-HemiRoadrunner.jpg

Post deleted by Defbob - 06/27/09 07:50 PM

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 07:59 PM

Thanks Dave,
It still needs a bunch of work. It's got caltracs and monos but old K-mart shocks on the back that are flat wore out not to mention it spun hard every pass.... 1.65 60ft

Here's a vid...

Last night

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 10:03 PM

Quote:

Build stuff that doesn't break....

Hope I didn't jinks myself! lol.....

Oh it doesn't break anymore all the weak links have been addressed,but as a buddy of mine says if you ain't breaking stuff you ain't go fast enough..

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/27/09 11:29 PM

Quote:

I've driven this one as far as 3-1/2 hours one way. It's 4000lbs, 3.73 gear and drag radials. It went 6.745 at 108.44 last night in the 1/8th.

love the car!! awesome et

Re: How many drive their street/strip cars to the track ? - 06/28/09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

love the car!! awesome et

Thanks Ray
© 2024 Moparts Forums