Moparts

Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think?

Posted By: hugo

Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 04:50 AM

I posted yesterday that I broke one intake rocker arm. My block is low deck under 0 and my head were milled down to 52cc. The engine builder put super big valves 5.47. I took of the rocker and pushrod to see what you think of it. I made 16 on the dyno and 8 1/8 and 8 1/4 mile and I broke the intake rocker arm. The rocker are pretty used up. I have alot of srping pressure 850 open and 280 on the seat. Anyways what do you think of the angle of the pushrods to the rockers? You think it broke becuase of geometry or rocker failure?
My shafts are pretty shimmed and T&D told me I could not use their rocker arms that i needed a special one individual he told me and I would need to use spray bars to spray my rockers and new valve covers custom because of the long valve and milled heads and block. (The regular T&D can not be shimmed).
I also talked to a tech at Harland sharp and he said their rockers shoul work just fine because they are longer and I would have more clearance and that I would not need any shims. He said their were good for my spring pressure 850.
What do you think any similar exprience?

I will be racing on Sat. becuse a friend of mine loan me a indy rocker. Will I be in danger of braking another rocker beucause of my geometry?
I wuould appreciate your help if you now about this or have had similar experience.

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 04:51 AM

Pic
http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/hugo928/?action=view&current=rocker6.jpg

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 04:53 AM

OTher side.
http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu129/hugo928/?action=view&current=rocker1.jpg
Posted By: Bill_T

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 05:02 AM

My impression is that those Dove (Indy) rockers are not up to that kind of spring pressure even apart from the geometry. I am sure someone with more experience will post before too long....
Posted By: rebel

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 07:56 AM

i was told to keep it under 750 total press on these indy/dove rockers. your 850 & the fact your rockers look like they've seen a bit of action might be just a bit too much for them. everything has a life, but i think you're flogging a dead horse. time to buy more suitable for your combo would be my thinking.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 01:14 PM

Quote:

... Dove (Indy) rockers are not up to that kind of spring pressure...

Winner! Winner!

Those rockers simply cannot handle that high of spring loads. It's time to upgrade, or plan on replacing the Dove parts on a regular basis.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/19/09 01:35 PM

I dont understand why your engine builder went with the
longer valves, thats what is causing all the misalignment
issues. But still the rockers cant handle those pressures
EDIT
also the adjusters look to far down(push rods are short)
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/20/09 02:32 AM

I was told when I bought my Indy head kit that the Indy rockers were not good for over .600 lift. I went with Harland Sharp 1.6's. That is the only brand of roller rockers I have ever used.
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Pic of my Indy rocker what do you think? - 06/20/09 08:11 PM

850 open.... I would NEVER assemble an engine with those Dove/ICH rockers with more than ~600 open. I'm amazed it lived as long as it did, they were NEVER intended for anywhere near that kind of spring pressure. Don't even waste your time trying to run it again with those rockers, you will just end up destroying more parts.... Buy a set of HS/T&D or Jesels like it needs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums