Moparts

Any performance gain when you square jet?

Posted By: FlyFish

Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 03:29 PM

I have a Holley 750 dp with the Proform main body with 82/92 jets and a 6.5 pv. I was just wondering if there was a performance gain/advantage to square jetting and plugging the pv or just leaving it alone. This is on a 410 SB stroker that is mostly used for racing, limited street driving (and yes, I know this combo wants a bigger carb, but that will have to wait till next year).
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 03:38 PM

your way rich on the jetting now??
you should be in the vicinity of 74/84 with PV and with PV blocked 82/84 or maybe 84 square too much jet is not faster.
Or are you jetted for E85???

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 03:49 PM

Well, I just started tuning this motor (new motor, just a few weeks old), but when I went from the tune that my 360 liked (78/88) up 2 sizes (80/90) I picked up 1.5 MPH...So I bumped it up again and it picked up just a little more (.2 mph I think...I'll have to look it up). I thought it sounded like to much jet as well, but the MPH and the plugs tell me different.

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 03:50 PM

And no, its not on E85...its a gas motor.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 03:54 PM

Quote:

I have a Holley 750 dp with the Proform main body with 82/92 jets and a 6.5 pv. I was just wondering if there was a performance gain/advantage to square jetting and plugging the pv or just leaving it alone. This is on a 410 SB stroker that is mostly used for racing, limited street driving (and yes, I know this combo wants a bigger carb, but that will have to wait till next year).

To me its not a performance thing with the PV, I dont
use because its a consistency thing... if it were
slow to open it would be a bog and thats a loss.
For a street car it doesnt matyter that much if it
were a touch slow on opening..... JMO
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 04:42 PM

Whats the compression and iron or aluminum heads?
Posted By: radar

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 07:15 PM

I thought it was done to keep from laying down on the big end when the revs come up and the increasing vac. lets the pv close?

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 08:52 PM

10.8:1, eddy heads
Posted By: furious70

Re: Any performance gain when you square jet? - 06/18/09 09:00 PM

Quote:

I thought it was done to keep from laying down on the big end when the revs come up and the increasing vac. lets the pv close?

If the carb is truly too small and you're seeing vac on the big end could be an issue. Vac gauge in the cockpit will solve that mystery.
When I tried plugging and square the car just was ill behaved on and off the trailer, around the pits, etc, as one might expect, depending on the combo.
© 2024 Moparts Forums