Moparts

Very slow spinning engine New build

Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 08:47 PM

Let me throw something out there...

Just finished a street 440 for my 69 Charger just freshened everything and lowered the compression. The engine turns over freely by hand and when I go to start it the starter seems to labor and spins the engine over extreemly slowly. Car will not start. It kinda sounds like reen o reen o reen o reen

Just threw in a brand new battery (1st thought) it has spark
slowly turns over with ignition off and coil/ distributor disconnected, almost as quickely as you could spin it by hand!
spins a little quicker with the spark plugs out, but not anywhere close to what it should be
Plugs do have a bit of fuel on them (did not flood it just enough to start)

The starter was a little harder to get in than normal, so could the starter by misaligned? Before I take the starter out I figured I would ask you guys. It's a pain in the ass to get it out.

On Sunday I might loosen the starter and reinstall. Help!
Posted By: CW25

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 08:54 PM

One thing to look is ground wire size. Do you have a good engine ground for that starter? If not see if you can measure the starter on how much it draws while cranking. A secondary way to do this is to measure battery voltage while cranking.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 08:57 PM

I would start with the simple things first. (1) do you have a fully charged battery and (2) do you have good ground from the engine thru the body and back to the battery?
I used to do road service calls and threw a new battery and rebuilt starter at no-start Isuzu diesel pickup. On the 3rd visit,I found a loose ground at the engine block after I fixed that, I never heard from them again
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 09:09 PM

Could be a bad ground, check your connections,test voltage drop at the starter and batt while cranking if its more than .5 volts you have a connection or cable problem, load test batt, If all else fails pull the starter and have it tested , check flywheel teeth for signs of miss alignment
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 09:15 PM

TRY using some starting fluid. And aslo check that starter alignment.
Posted By: coronetville

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 09:27 PM

check timing, did you put in new main bearings? did you check bearing clearance?
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/13/09 09:36 PM

Quote:

Just finished a street 440 for my 69 Charger just freshened everything and lowered the compression. The engine turns over freely by hand and when I go to start it the starter seems to labor and spins the engine over extreemly slowly. Car will not start. It kinda sounds like reen o reen o reen o reen

slowly turns over with ignition off and coil/ distributor disconnected, almost as quickely as you could spin it by hand!
spins a little quicker with the spark plugs out, but not anywhere close to what it should be

The starter was a little harder to get in than normal, so could the starter by misaligned ? Before I take the starter out I figured I would ask you guys. It's a pain in the ass to get it out.

Happened to me same deal starter drive was jammed against the flywheel and dragged bad....

Rickster
Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/14/09 01:54 AM

Could be a ground? I do have it grounded, but never hurts to recheck. After that I'll pull the starter and check for mis-alignment.
Posted By: cmcgee123

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/14/09 03:45 AM

my 440 did that after i rebuilt the engine. i put in a powermaster starter that cured my problem.
Posted By: Harley

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/14/09 03:55 AM

I had the same problem and it turned out being a bad ground. I got the car started and noticed that by having the bad ground it melted the shifter cable.
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: Very slow spinning engine New build - 06/14/09 11:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The starter was a little harder to get in than normal, so could the starter by misaligned ? Before I take the starter out I figured I would ask you guys. It's a pain in the ass to get it out.

Happened to me same deal starter drive was jammed against the flywheel and dragged bad....

Rickster

This is probably the culprit
© 2024 Moparts Forums