Moparts

Heads Up Races for 2006

Posted By: PROMAX

Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/08/05 07:06 PM

I'm putting together some heads up Mopar only classes together for 2006. Anyone interested please contact us via email or phone. I have some rules and information posted on our website already.

http://promaxcarbs.bizland.com/racing.chtml

I'm only allowed one class for the Vegas event debating on MS rules or Xtreme rules. We may even do a Vegas only rules. What do you think?

I'm also still looking for some more sponsors!

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman
Posted By: johnnyB

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/09/05 02:34 AM

Hey Ben,
In case I forget, if you send me a reminder e-mail when it gets a bit closer I will have the event posted on the Hot TEams web site. Might be able to attract a few of the local Phoenix area heads up racers.

I'm not sure if I will be at the Vegas event next year but if I was I think I would be most interested in the Muscle Street class.

Anyway, sounds pretty cool to me. Good luck with it and give me a holler anytime.

Posted By: Greg

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/09/05 01:53 PM

I am looking forward to next year. Muscle Street will be hotly contended with the new rules and hope to see a full field of 16.

web page
Posted By: DodgeCharger

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/09/05 06:15 PM

Will you be running at the Nationals in Columbus? I am planning on taking my car to that show. Also I'm not sure if my car would fit in your MS class. I have 325-50r-15 drag radials on the car. Would I be allowed to run with a weight penalty. The car weighs 3800 lbs with me in it.Aside from the underhood modifications the car looks stock inside and out.
Posted By: aarlucas

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/09/05 11:27 PM

The Muscule car rules look pretty inviting to me!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 02:03 AM

How about actual street driven cars with ladder bars and coil overs, N/A, no power adders on pump gas with 3150 lbs minimum? I can and will do that if allowed.
Posted By: 592b1

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 02:09 AM

Quote:

How about actual street driven cars with ladder bars and coil overs, N/A, no power adders on pump gas with 3150 lbs minimum? I can and will do that if allowed.

WHAT?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 02:25 AM

Quote:

Is this a Pro Street car?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 03:02 AM

Question about Muscle Street;

If I understand correctly, Mega blocks aren't allowed? Why? I regurlarly drive my car on the street with a Mega Block.....How about Indy -1 heads?

Wayne
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 03:10 AM

i'll throw my in here....

Muscle Street is basically structured as an "entry level" heads up class.

using a stock block limits the engine displacement.

running "OE replacement" style heads helps keep the costs of the top end down, and should help level the playing field and keep the competition tighter.

personally....i like the rules as they are.
if i lived in an area where this class was being run, i would definately participate.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 03:16 AM

Wayne
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 06:09 AM

Dodgecharger, no it's not a pro street car, just a low compression pump gas street car that I wanted to blow a few chevy street racers away with. It's a 400 stroker with a six pak intake on M/T street radails.
Posted By: 592b1

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 10:32 PM

Good Luck with trying to get enough Mopar guys to run heads up. Soon as a few fast cars show up everybody starts to cry.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/10/05 10:49 PM

Wait maybe we could limit the rules to oh I dont know maybe 67 only cars with 10.5" tires, ladder bar rear, coil over front, with working glass and wipers, weighing 3200 lbs driven by a fat old bald white guy. If so I'm in

Seems to me it is a pretty well proven fact that the Mopar community cant or wont support a heads up series. My only gripe is I am on the West coast and my car is not done
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/11/05 12:07 PM

Somebody said I don't like to follow rules It looks like I only broke about 3/4 of them Too far away for me anyway Here's a for ya. It sounds like a fun race to me
Posted By: Dartman928

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/11/05 03:22 PM

I wouldn't mind doing it but I'm sure my car will be too slow
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/11/05 06:11 PM

Your right Rob, Im sure you would not have enough junk in your trunk to compete.
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/13/05 04:49 AM

what about the front seats???...does that mean we would have to run STOCK front seats??

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/14/05 02:08 PM

Here are a few updates:

By popular demand we have added four links to our Xtreme Street class with weight penalty.
(rules have been updated on website)

All rules will be final by Dec 31, 2005

Caltrac's is sponsoring Muscle Street!

We have added some more Associate Sponsors and some Contingency Money. Will be creating sponsors page and contingency list.

Q&A:

Racing seats are OK.
Ladder bars are permited in Xtreme Street

Needs:
Still looking for 3rd race for series.
Sponsor for Xtreme Street

Hope I covered everything if not let me know.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 07:08 AM

ben,

you guys coming to E-TOWN for the MOPAR NATS in may??

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 06:24 PM

I would also be interested in running at Englishtown.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 06:56 PM

I have had quite a few request to add W5 and Indy 360 heads to Muscle Street. I think it would be good but may have to add some weight. Any thoughts or comments?

I have also put a call in to E town, so we will see what happens.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 07:27 PM

My car come's close to fitting extreme street but there are some gray areas. If I have a 4-link can the car be back 1/2'd? if so does the wt also get you by the stock frame rail rule front to back? Also I would think a fiberglass door car would have trouble with the glass rule as well. I know you don't want the flush mount with the rivit's showing but as long as you can't tell
And I guess it's ok to remove the T-bars with a bolt on front K?
And lastly, come south for a race

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 07:28 PM

Is the Mopar Performance hemi block legal? I have a siamese block with aluminum mopar hemi heads. Low compression motor 10to1 compression.
I have never run the car but it should run at least low 11's.
Posted By: StrokedW7

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 07:37 PM

I should have my car ready for the Indy race in June.

Steve
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 08:32 PM

Quote:

Steve

of what year???

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 08:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Steve

of what year???

Hey!!! At least I have a car.
Posted By: scottb

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 09:01 PM

One other problem no W5 heads surely not going to let W7 in .I would like to race in that class also see what happens

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 09:15 PM

Huh??? They ARE allowed. You just need to add 50 pounds. I should be close to perfect. 3200 base weight less 300 pounds for naturally aspirated add 50 pounds for unconventional heads and 50 pounds for ladder bars (3,000 pounds).

I might have to get a BIGGER bottle... Then I just need to dial in the digital 7 and go have some fun.

Steve

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 09:31 PM

How about a race at the Rock on April 14-15 2006? I spoke with them today and are interested in adding the PFSC to their event.

I need to get a roll call on who would consider coming and racing.

We have thought about allowing all cast iron blocks for Muscle Street. The down side is that you can build some big cube motors with a Mega block. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 09:46 PM

I've signed up as an associate sponsor. Thanks for the opportunity Ben. Good luck to all those who participate !
Posted By: 66coronet

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/15/05 10:14 PM

Im in for the Rock. I wanted to race there anyway. only 1 question though. It doesnt say it anywhere but is a Motor Plate o.k. for muscle street. I fit everything else, and the motor is in stock location just has a plate. thanks for considering a race in the south. Bristol is another to consider.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 12:08 AM

I think you can build up to a 604" motor out of a Mega block.I have never seen one on the street.I don't believe many people will build a big motor like this and put it in a stock apearing car. Unless you have a huge payout to pursue. Then you will attract special purpose built cars. I just want to run my street car in a heads up race.My car is my cruise night Sunday driver. It even has air conditioning.I would not build a car special to meet race rules just to possibly win a few hundred dollars and have bragging rights. The bottom line is to attract alot of cars the rules need to be broad enough that many different setups will be allowed to run.
I think the best way to equalize the field is with the tires allowed. No slicks allowed.
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 12:38 AM

Just to clarify, any aluminum block is allowed in Extreme? If so, please let us/me know if Extreme will be running at Vegas. Thank You, Chris
Posted By: moderncylinder

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 12:55 AM

i dont have whatever it takes to open and read those rules,, why not just post them?? would a nhra ss a/a or b/a car run in that higher class?

jeff
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 01:08 AM

Quote:

i dont have whatever it takes to open and read those rules,, why not just post them?? would a nhra ss a/a or b/a car run in that higher class?

jeff

I would assume that if they allowed Super Stockers in, Michael Ogburn would want in at the Vegas race. I invited him to a PSCA race and he seemed to like the racing. I would love to line up against him in a heads up race. Hemi vs. Wedge. What a blast that would be.
Posted By: Hurst390

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 01:11 AM

Ben-Questions on Extreme

Is there a weight penelty for ladder bars and leafs?
Is the clutch assist jerico legal?
What about a 50#-100# minimum reduction for a factory iron head?
Jim

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 02:08 AM

Quote:

We have thought about allowing all cast iron blocks for Muscle Street. The down side is that you can build some big cube motors with a Mega block. Any thoughts or comments?

IMO, it just opens another can of worms, and is outside the intent of an entry level class.
i understand the desire to try and broaden the rules to attract more competitors, but since it IS a heads up class....if the big cube cars start showing up and dominating, you'll lose some of your original competitor base in the process because they will no longer be competitive.

if someone wants to run in a heads up class that is beyond what the intent of Muscle Street is....they need to look at stepping up to the next level.
changing the rules to try and make everyone happy is how just about every good entry level class gets ruined.....my

also, i have no problem allowing the small blocks to use W5 and Indy heads in the class....so long as they are still used on OE blocks.

if Muscle Street is contested at E-town.....i'd participate.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 02:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO, it just opens another can of worms, and is outside the intent of an entry level class.
i understand the desire to try and broaden the rules to attract more competitors, but since it IS a heads up class....if the big cube cars start showing up and dominating, you'll lose some of your original competitor base in the process because they will no longer be competitive.

if someone wants to run in a heads up class that is beyond what the intent of Muscle Street is....they need to look at stepping up to the next level.
changing the rules to try and make everyone happy is how just about every good entry level class gets ruined.....my

also, i have no problem allowing the small blocks to use W5 and Indy heads in the class....so long as they are still used on OE blocks.

If somebody starts dominating with a big cube engine why can't the slower cars in muscle street step up and make their cars faster? My car is a Muscle car that I drive on the street. I would not convert it into a race car just to compete in a heads up class. The more cars that can be qualified to run in the class the more popular the class will become.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 02:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If somebody starts dominating with a big cube engine why can't the slower cars in muscle street step up and make their cars faster? My car is a Muscle car that I drive on the street. I would not convert it into a race car just to compete in a heads up class. The more cars that can be qualified to run in the class the more popular the class will become.

you answered your own question.
you dont want to change your car to fit the rules, but you expect someone else to change their car to be competitive so that an allownace can be made so that your car will fit in the class.

if they have a car that they built around the current rules...and the rules change to allow a bunch of faster cars in, and those cars dominate(which they should), most of the other guys either wont compete, or will step up.
if they are forced to step up....they will often step up to another class.

i've seen this same cycle many times in all forms of racing.
when the rules keep getting changed to allow more cars in that are outside the scope of the intent of the rules....the class ends up being a dud because the true entry level guys arent competitive any more, and the higher-end cars can compete in classes with better pay-outs by doing nothing more than jumping into a power adder class.

if aftermarket blocks are allowed....i wouldnt bother with that class any longer.

one more thing....its a little tough to build a new, big CI motor out of a new MegaBlock...when there arent any to be had.
Posted By: smalltyredart67

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 01:41 PM

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 01:49 PM

I think fast has touched on the real reason behind muscle street. I have ran muscle street the past two years and really enjoy racing the class because I don't have to go and drop $10,000 a year for a race car. I have spoke to Ben about opening up the rules from last year's rules and I think he has a good vision about what he would like to see. It is definately an entry level class and as it goes along cars will definately get faster because guys will start building cars for the class. The balancing act is to get as many cars out without anyone getting a distinct advantage. As you see at the bottom of Ben's rules page it says rules may be revised for parity. Last year's rules was a fiberglass hood period correct and fiberglass bumpers. This year's rules are bolt on fiberglass with no one piece front ends. This really doesn't change or give anyone a distinct advantage because the car will have to make weight. It will also let a guy jump in with fiberglass bumpers who under last year's rules wasn't legal. The W5 heads should be reviewed and if allowed I would assume they would carry a weight penalty because of the advantage over the other heads.

Ben,

Maybe we can get the administrators to put a sticky on this thread to keep it in front of everyone's eyes. I am in for Rockingham if it happens.

vhepower.com
Posted By: AdamR

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 02:04 PM

I think the rules look pretty good the way they are. I wouldnt change a thing. If my car is ever back together I would be interested in competing in this class.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 05:03 PM

I personally like the stock block rule and think that it would keep Muscle Street an entry level class. I also like allowing W5 and Indy setups in Muscle Street.

For Vegas they are paying out $2,500 I can run one class (MS or Xtreme) or split the purse and run both. The promoter is not really sure what type of cars that we would get in that area. Any thoughts or ideas, the ads are coming out soon so I need to get them an answer. If it goes well they will want to add more for 07. I also thought about a Vegas rules only deal, a Muscle Street power adder combo type class. I will put this together and let you review.

Here are the list of tracks that I'm currently working with for the final race:

Rockingham
Bristol
Milan MI
Mopar Nats
E Town

Right now Rockingham is the most interested and ready to put a deal together. His show is the earliest and he has to have all the ads ready soon.

I made the rules an Adobe PDF (this should be real easy to print off). I currently don't have anything listed for Vegas but will put up or Vegas only draft.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 06:18 PM

I don't understand why a block is such an issue. Alot more horsepower can be made with heads,cam and compression then you could ever get out of a block.
As far as entry level the block only cost $2200. this is alot less then many other mods.

Well I guess us big block muscle car guys will have to stick to grudge racing!

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/16/05 06:25 PM

What about W7 W8 W9 heads

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 12:14 AM

Quote:

What about W7 W8 W9 heads

Scott - Look at the rules. LOL They are allowed in the Xtreme street.

Steve

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 12:18 AM

I did not read much of extream rules when it said power adders when read threw and found out you get a 300 lbs weight brake for no nos so im in also

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 12:21 AM

Quote:

I did not read much of extream rules when it said power adders when read threw and found out you get a 300 lbs weight brake for no nos so im in also

Im sure Bob will want to go too. Should be a GOOD time. I think I am going to go work on my car this weekend.

Steve

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 01:48 AM

Quote:

I don't understand why a block is such an issue.

Because the Mega block would allow people to build large cube motors.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 02:05 AM

im definitely interested and i go to the Rockingham show just about every year.

no Indy -1 heads in Muscle Street?? not even w/ a weight penalty?

guess ill need to 'cage the car before then CHIP

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 12:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand why a block is such an issue.

Because the Mega block would allow people to build large cube motors.

Why not just add a weight penalty for the mega block. Also limit it to conventional oil pan and pickup. I think the bigest cube you can make would be a 528" without going to an external pickup.
My cars already heavy and I can add weight. But these rules that allow a weight break don't really help since it is not very easy to lighten a car that needs to appear basically stock.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 02:04 PM

I have the tenative Vegas Rules posted. Let me know what you think.

Maybe I will setup a poll taker on our website for Mega Blocks in Muscle Street. I want to keep the rules open to get good car counts but also need to keep it competitive for all.

Dig the blue Cuda! I'm working on a 72 Tora Red 340 one right now.

Later

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 02:27 PM

Got the poll up for Muscle Street and allowing Mega Blocks.

Later

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 02:52 PM

Quote:

Later

Ben J. Gorman

so....you'd let the Mega Blocks in....even though there arent any available.

how does that level the playing field when the only people that can use them....are people that already have them??

if you want to let them in.....then at least wait until they are available to the general public.

i just built a nice little 451 that would be great for that class.
why would i bother showing up to run heads up against someone with a 572??

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 05:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Later

Ben J. Gorman

so....you'd let the Mega Blocks in....even though there arent any available.

how does that level the playing field when the only people that can use them....are people that already have them??

if you want to let them in.....then at least wait until they are available to the general public.

i just built a nice little 451 that would be great for that class.
why would i bother showing up to run heads up against someone with a 572??

To try and beat him!
Posted By: 65Dodge440

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/17/05 05:43 PM

Here's another debate: what about R blocks for the small block guys?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 01:39 AM

I don't know much about small blocks.What is an R block?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 01:40 AM

I agree with dwayne, If you allow the Mega blocks and R blocks your going to have people showing up with 540 plus cube BB and 430 plus cube small blocks. Then the guys with 340s and 440s wont have a change. Plus its going to lead to the after market block guys wanting to run bigger heads to feed there motors because it wouldnt be fair for them not to be able to feed there big cube motors.

It seems like it takes away the entire point of the class.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 01:50 AM

Quote:

I don't know much about small blocks.What is an R block?

R blocks are the Mopar Perf race blocks for small blocks.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 01:53 AM

I've seen many Mega block 528 crate motors running 12's in E and B Bodies. By the same token I've seen many 10 second 340 A bodies. Why are you guys so afraid of more competition? Yes it would be alot easier to get in the money if there are only 10-20 cars in the class then it would be if there is a field of 40 cars or more. If the class doesn't generate enough interest it will disapear like many before it.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 01:58 AM

I just feel this is a budget class and a $2500 block before machining doesnt seem very budget friendly. Its also a matter of the snow ball effect, Let in the Mega block then way not a KB block or W9 heads.

That would kill the class just as fast.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 02:14 AM

it already looks like a case of ballot box stuffing to me there aren't that many people with megablocks that are interested in heads up racing. the reason for keeping stock blocks should be for the sake of parity and the ability to tech the class. if your so hopped up on running a mega block, put a good set of heads on it and step up to extreme street and let it rip. I've got a feeling that any of these megablock cars can't keep up with some of the established stock block cars, so why bother. It's an entry level class keep it that way.

jeff r

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 02:18 AM

What are W9 heads? Are they like a W2 Small block head?
I think you should allow any NA motor under the hood. To get cars in the field but try and match them up by adding weight or limiting tire. I would like to run in the class but I can't afford to build another motor. I can afford to add Weight and buy different tires.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 12:38 PM

Posted By: W5Dart378

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 02:13 PM

I would like to see a weight deduction for leafsprings in extreme

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 04:29 PM

Quote:

I would like to see a weight deduction for leafsprings in extreme

Its already there... There isnt a reduction but there is a penalty for having ladder bars, etc. Which is the SAME thing.

Steve

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 05:04 PM

It does not mater how many times you change the rules someone is always going to COMPLAIN no mater what some people just do not want to come up to today standers in perfomance parts there still stuck in the 70 no r block then try to find me a stock bore 340 4 bolt main there is none thank you lets going racing and have some fun
Posted By: Dap

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 05:27 PM

Quote:

I would also be interested in running at Englishtown.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/18/05 11:57 PM

What are the show dates for Englishtown?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 02:30 PM

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 02:32 PM

it already looks like a case of ballot box stuffing to me there aren't that many people with megablocks that are interested in heads up racing. the reason for keeping stock blocks should be for the sake of parity and the ability to tech the class. if your so hopped up on running a mega block, put a good set of heads on it and step up to extreme street and let it rip. I've got a feeling that any of these megablock cars can't keep up with some of the established stock block cars, so why bother. It's an entry level class keep it that way.

jeff r

Jeff hit on a good point. Ben might want to revisit the poll and see if they will put down their names and isp will show so we don't have a bogus poll. I am all for having the masses heard but I know that we will have atleast 10-20 cars at the first show with the rules the way they are. Remember the word entry level. I don't consider megablocks to be an entry level steet class rule. Sounds more in the level of an extreme street level build up.

Greg Van Hoose

vhepower.com

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 02:38 PM

hi Greg whats new ? thanks again for supplying the plaques(spelling) for indy and also thanks for the shirt

jeff r

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 03:06 PM

It's clear a bunch of you guys don't want any serious competition. You would prefer to run against stock slant sixes.
It is alot more even to allow a naturally aspirated mega block run in Muscle Street than to make them run against supercharged,turbo and nitrous cars in Xtreme street.
But everyone has their own opinion. I have read the rules of both these classes very close and I did not see anything about MS being an entry level class. What I did read in the first line of the description is that it is a non-power adder class. Xtreme street says in the first line that it is a power adder class.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 04:47 PM

Charger, I race in the faster class anyways so your not a threat of competition to me. But i've been racing heads up mopar stuff for a while and I think I understand that the rules makers want good fast racing, but also want a defined line between the two classes. just because somebody only runs 12's with a mega block doesn't meen he should get to race with the STOCK SLANT SIXES it just meens that they havn't acquired enough knowledge to make it faster. then after they raced it for awhile and learned how to make it faster the rules makers don't want to have to tell them that they can't use that block anymore.
by the way how many races do you think you might show up to before anybody would consider changing rules for such a small contingent, some of us have seen this before where the squeeky wheel was never going to show up anyways.
I'm not trying to be confrontational and definitely don't want this post to turn into an argument and get locked down but don't start throwing little jabs at the people who've seen this before and are just looking for a successfull racing venue and take this seriously.
also they (rules makers) are looking for rules that are easy to police and control, without having to have a NHRA style teardown for a tech session.
jeff r
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 05:19 PM

I don't think the megablock is going to make much difference in Muscle street. The other restrictions on external oiling and the mandated use of heads that won't properly support that large of an engine will minimize any gains from a larger engine anyhow. Give me Dwayne's 451 and a nicely set up A body and I'll take my chances...

What happened to the idea of a street drive before the race to weed out the fake street cars? While we're at it, lets make the weight break 4000lbs

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 05:23 PM

hey Tony what's up? still want that set of rods? let me know , I've got alot of time on my hands right now.

jeff r
Posted By: duster400

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 05:50 PM

OK heres my take on this. I have been following alot of heads up racing for the past 8 years, even though I haven't competed I can say that I THINK the Mega block/Rblock controversy WILL have a snowball effect. Every Heads up Org. KOS, NMCA, NSCA all run into the same problem. It has happened in Super Street, Drag Radial, Pro Street was the biggest one. Because the aftermarket blocks can make bigger cubic inches which can be an advantage makes it tough to police it without pumping the engine(how many people own one), or tear down. I really do think if you really want to make this work first thing you need to do is find out who is planning on making what races, and take their opinion seriously. Not saying to make the decision off of just them though. This ahs a chance to work if you can get the Mopar guys away from the numbers correct show cars, or bracket racing.
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/19/05 06:03 PM

Hey Jeff, whats up buddy! Wish you were a little closer, I can't seem to find much time these days. I still want em, but no big hurry on my end (hopefully not yours either). Any new plans for the Dart this winter??

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/20/05 03:30 AM

i dont know what the big debate is about the blocks for. Just make it 416" for small blocks and 500" for big blocks.
And who cares what kinda block you have if you have a non oem block you will be giving yourself a weight peanlty.
And probably 99% of the guys on here are just talking anyway. i follow the KOS how many cars??? how about the NMCA etc... All these events have how many mopars that are competive????

Bill May and Andy Mayes and Leon Try to compete but are always a couple steps behind. I would love to see some MOPARS that were capable of competeing but it just never happens. I just remeber Bruce Lagroy, Tim Davis did well who am I missing??????

I just dont want to see you guys make the rules to restrictive and have 10 cars show up and this peter out like the KOS events. Most types of rules for classes always have CU IN limitation not a block limitaion.

I say forget the oem block stuff and just do cubic inches How many guys do you know that have 500" mega blocks with INDY EZ heads in a small tire car on leafs???? And if you do will they show up and race it?????? Or R blocks that are 416" with the smaller heads most guys with this type of block are runnin it in races cars not streeet cars. Well this just my

And my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.........

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/20/05 06:06 AM

Quote:

this yr it was may 14-15 or 15-16...something like that and im sure it will be around the same time this coming yr.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/20/05 10:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

this yr it was may 14-15 or 15-16...something like that and im sure it will be around the same time this coming yr.

Thanks, I am planning on making it to this show. Most likely I will have to keep my car in the car show field since I have a 528 with no power adder.
Well on the bright side I won't beat my stuff up.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/20/05 11:56 PM

Posted By: Shawns_Cuda

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/21/05 01:22 AM

I'd definitely hit the Rock. If it does become a go there I can post to the local tracks (Fayetteville, Dunn-Benson, Hickory, etc.) via their message boards. A whole lot of guys are itching for some heads up racing. If there's anything we can do at U.S. Car Tool to help get it going, just give us a call.

Shawn

Quote:

How about a race at the Rock on April 14-15 2006? I spoke with them today and are interested in adding the PFSC to their event.

I need to get a roll call on who would consider coming and racing.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Posted By: 66coronet

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/21/05 03:16 AM

In my opinion the "bolt on" fiberglass is going to hurt your car count. There are alot of racers and street cars that have pin on or zues fasteners on their hoods and deck lids. I understand the factory or street car look and can see no 1 piece front ends but see nothing stopping pin on hoods and deck lids. just my

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/21/05 02:12 PM

If I am not mistaken you can have a pin on hood. I am not sure about the decklid. the bolt on items are for fenders and such. The old rules stated a period correct fiberglass hood and fiberglass bumpers. We are hopefully trying to expand upon that with letting bolt on fiberglass body parts such as fenders which are typically the case.

Dodge charger had brought up a point about us not wanting any competition. That is not the case at all. I just don't think a megablock is what you would typically see in a street car. I have problems thinking that there is that many people who would like to race with a mega block that are on that pole. If mega blocks are allowed how do you police the cubic inches. One gentleman had said you just have to limit the cubic inches. Who is going to be in charge of teching and checking if these cars aren't going past 528 or whatever the limit. We want to make this as simple as possible for everyone. I don't think Ben or Mike want to spend all day teching car's and I don't think that is their intention.

Most of the guys who have been racing in muscle street are there to have a good time and run heads up. There is no other heads up no power adder classes out there right now for a big block car much less a mopar. We have something that is very marketable and you don't have to be the fastest car. Here is an example of what happened at Indy. Here is the qualifying.

1. Fred Bernardi 10.290 132.93 69 Super Bee
2. Jim Johnson 10.448 125.33 74 Scamp
3. Shawn Goodman 10.701 125.58 72 Roadrunner
4. Greg Van Hoose 10.814 122.47 69 Roadrunner
5. Jim Burnette 10.859 120.55 70 Roadrunner
6. Sean Brady 11.052 121.33 69 Charger
7. Chad Marshall 11.091 119.77 70 Challenger
8. Rick Hempel 11.414 118.20 70 Barracuda
9. Radar Watkins 13.396 100.17 70 Sport Fury

The final was Fred Bernardi and Chad Marshall. As you can see Chad was not in the top half of the field. Chad benefitted from some breakdowns in his ladder and drove his butt off to make the finals. So the fastest cars doesn't always dominate. Fred ended up winning but Chad picked up some runner up money.

Greg Van Hoose

vhepower.com

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/22/05 05:31 AM

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/22/05 04:43 PM

Here are a few updates:

The Vegas rules are now final and I will be updating them shortly.

I'm going to start taking memberships. All members will get to vote on Muscle Street and Xtreme Street rules (these have to be made final by Dec 31, 2005). Also if you want to run for points you will have to be a member. I'm working out a deal for free T's with memberships.

If you just want to come out and race for fun you do not have to be a member.

I'm personally in favor of allowing all cast iron blocks for MS. For one it will make tech easy and help with car count. If things get out of hand, we add weight or change rules for 2007. The first thing that all of these track promoters ask is how many cars? This is all they really care about. We have a small market of cars to work with already, why make it even smaller. I have also talked with a few other promoters that have done some NA heads up classes and they have allowed all castiron blocks and most cars in these classes were in the high 9's to high 10's. Like Greg V. said not always the fastest car wins either. I'm open to put it up to a vote with paid members.

Pin on hoods are OK, I will update rules to show this. We added bolt on fenders and trunk lids to help bring in more cars.

We are also reviewing/clarifiying stock frame rails for Xtreme Street, since we are now allowing four links.

Will keep you posted

Ben J. Gorman

ProMax Carbs & Performance Parts
Posted By: Dap

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/22/05 05:52 PM

Quote:

I personally like the stock block rule and think that it would keep Muscle Street an entry level class.

Quote:

I'm personally in favor of allowing all cast iron blocks for MS.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/23/05 03:02 AM

I have had a few people change my mind on the block ruling. I'm going to leave it up to the racers though on what they want to do.

I would also like to thank moparts.com for sponsoring our series for 2006! They have put a sticky bit on this thread as well. This will really help.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/24/05 01:14 AM

Will you know what the schedule will be by Dec 31st? Does it look like it will include Englishtown and Columbus? Also do you have an idea what the membership will cost?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/24/05 03:02 PM

Quote:

no Indy -1 heads in Muscle Street??

I think this is a mistake. Since the Indy SR and -1 head are the same base casting (some core diff?), you can't tell which the guy has (tech) unless you take the valve covers off. And even then, with porting (fill the pushrod holes, etc.), you can make an SR into a 440-1 with the offset rocker gear. So I think these should be treated the same.

In Muscle Street, the small block W5, etc should simply be outlawed at any weight. There is nothing stock replacement about them.

And I think all weight penalties should be so severe, that the car would run 11.0. You want to let them run, but you don't want to encourage there use by making them the only way to win. IMO, 50 and 100 lb weight penalties are a joke. It should be 200, 300, 400 etc. so they are running 4000+ lb total.

While I am giving my 2-cents:
Quote:

Stock front suspension required, bolt-on replacements such as K-member, control
arms, springs and shocks OK, rack and pinion OK

This should be re-examined. For an entry level class, the stock K-frame should be retained, including the steering box. I don't like tubular A-arms and non-Mopar brakes either, but with a weight penalty (100-200 lbs) it might be tolerable if you must allow it (which I don't think you do).

Quote:

Trans brakes and aftermarket clutches and shifters
permitted,

Get rid of the transbrake. There is no use for a transbrake in a "Street" car. I won't waste my breath anymore on transbrakes.

The way the Muscle Street rules are posted right now on the ProMax site are pretty good. I hope they stay very close to that. If racers want other equipment, they can enter another class.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/24/05 06:08 PM

WHATEVER!!!

JEFF R

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/24/05 09:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a mistake. Since the Indy SR and -1 head are the same base casting (some core diff?), you can't tell which the guy has (tech) unless you take the valve covers off. And even then, with porting (fill the pushrod holes, etc.), you can make an SR into a 440-1 with the offset rocker gear. So I think these should be treated the same.

In Muscle Street, the small block W5, etc should simply be outlawed at any weight. There is nothing stock replacement about them.

And I think all weight penalties should be so severe, that the car would run 11.0. You want to let them run, but you don't want to encourage there use by making them the only way to win. IMO, 50 and 100 lb weight penalties are a joke. It should be 200, 300, 400 etc. so they are running 4000+ lb total.

Quote:

This should be re-examined. For an entry level class, the stock K-frame should be retained, including the steering box. I don't like tubular A-arms and non-Mopar brakes either, but with a weight penalty (100-200 lbs) it might be tolerable if you must allow it (which I don't think you do).

Quote:

permitted,

Get rid of the transbrake. There is no use for a transbrake in a "Street" car. I won't waste my breath anymore on transbrakes.

The way the Muscle Street rules are posted right now on the ProMax site are pretty good. I hope they stay very close to that. If racers want other equipment, they can enter another class.

I don't understand why so many people want to rule out other cars from competing? I have a Megablock with no power adder. Currently I am black listed. If the rules change and let me run that would be great.But the car is not a pickup. I will not load the car with more than 150-200 lbs.On the other hand I don't care what the competition runs under the hood as long as they are not running a power adder. Indy-1 W5 I don't care. Now rules like stock type rear suspension tire type and size restrictions I find more important.Also no traction control electronic devices. Even if you have 1000 hp.If you can't hook the car up you are not going to run very well. And everyone knows the more power you have the harder it is to hook the car up and run consistant with limited traction.I say let them all run use weight to equalize the field and lets go racing.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/30/05 09:38 PM

I have the membership form done. You can get the form off of our racing page. Memberships will be $35 and you get a free T shirt! I'm getting ready to head to PRI so hopefully can get the final race and some more sponsors out of it.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Updates for 2006 - 12/05/05 04:54 PM

We have a few new goodies after PRI:

Rockingham (April 14th-15th) will be our 3rd points race!

Drag News is doing a press release for us at the Drag Expo in Jan.

All rules will be made final by Dec. 15th for Drag News deadline. Rules will be updated on website.

Also RPM, Fastest Street Car and Drag Racer Magazine are going to give us coverage!

I also have about 10 more potential sponsors to follow up with.

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman
PFSC "PROMAX Fastest Street Car"
Posted By: keefe

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/08/05 04:04 AM

The Indy Muscle Street finals was on Inside Drag racing last weekend...I think you should leave the rules as is for this year and see what changes the actual muscle street racers would like to see for the coming years ...
Keefe
Posted By: acme383

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/12/05 12:07 AM

has anyone ever thought about running some heads up index classes? it wouldn't matter what the combo was.electonics wouldn't be allowed! you would leave heads up off a pro tree, and who ever got to the finish line first with out breaking out of the index wins. all you would have to do figure out what index you would plug yourself into. have 9.50, 9.80, 10.00 etc. it would make for some really close and exciting racing. just a thought.-dan
Posted By: CRE2004

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/12/05 03:03 PM

On the mega block issue... I'll be running a nearly 800 hp 572" hemi on a mega block. Combined with my near 3800# weight, 4:10 gears, 4spd, leaf springs, street clutch and street radials.. It'll be a high eleven/low twelve second car if I can walk it out and hook it up. All it would take is a lo buck 451 in an A body to put me on the trailer, but I'd like to have a little fun too...
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/12/05 08:04 PM

Do you need a rear seat in both classes? I have yet to squeeze the cuda, but will have it installed by this next season....You might see me there...416W2 with nos @ 3150 lbs. Sounds good to me.........Phill

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/25/05 03:08 AM

Will there be a Muscle Street class or a class like it at The Virgina motor sports Mopar madness race this year? I think its given by the Tidewater Mopar club,KOS was ther a few years back....
Posted By: JSR1485

Re: Updates for 2006 - 12/27/05 01:42 PM

You can count me in for Raceway Park and I might make the Rock also. What about one more in the North East? There is the Mopar show at Atco in Sept. I heard is going down hill any how, maybe this will help bring it back alittle.

Re: Updates for 2006 - 01/03/06 03:43 PM

We now have the rules updated. Everyone should be able to come out and run. If you have any problems bringing up the rules let me know.

The back seat may be removed for rollbar installation. The area must be carpeted and finished.

Hoods and decklids may be pinned on.

Also look for adds in Drag New, RPM Magazine, MCG and Mopar Muscle!

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Updates for 2006 - 01/05/06 01:00 PM

I am really looking forward to going to Rockingham. I know there is a lot of heads up guys in that area. Let us know who is going to come out and play in April. My brother is coming down from Chicago so I don't want to hear that is too far if you live a state away. The way the rules are setup we should have a full field in each class. Here's your chance southern racers!

Re: Updates for 2006 - 01/06/06 03:50 AM

A race in the Northeast would be great, dont know any info on tracks so I cant help you there. A 12 hour drive is ok but more than that its killer on the pocket, I hope you can get a track up here to help you out, tried to join membership but had problems, can I call it in? Thanks ....Phill
Posted By: junkyardmaxie

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 01/16/06 03:50 AM

HI TALKING HEADS UP HOW ABOUT 10.90 CLASS? ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS IT DONT GO FASTER THAN 10.90 DIAL 10.89 YOUR OUT YOU WOULD GET ALOT OF CARS. NHRA USED TO RUN THESE CLASSES WITH GREAT TURN OUT. PAY BACK THREW QUARTERS WHAT YOU THINK?? MOPARRACEMAN@AOL.COM

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 01/25/06 04:30 PM

We have been getting a lot of questions on the Rockingham Race about the dates. We have been told that Friday the 14th will be a test and tune day.

If you have problem with the member form then just send me an email at: sales@promaxcarbs.com and I will help you get setup.

Also added a few more contingency sponosrs here is our current list:

$100 Winner - $50 Runner Up (Each Class)

ProMax - Max Series Carbs
CFM - Ported Heads
Harland Sharp - Rocker Arms
TTI - Headers
A&A Transmission - Trans
Nitrous ProFlow - nitrous systems
Cal Tracs - Traction Bars

Thanks

Ben J. Gorman

Re: Updates for 2006 - 02/14/06 12:20 AM

Quote:

We now have the rules updated. Everyone should be able to come out and run. If you have any problems bringing up the rules let me know.

Can not get them to come up, keep getting error, could you e mail me the rules , you have a Pm
Posted By: 70Dustmite440

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 02/21/06 01:42 AM

how is your car count for the rock?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/06/06 09:53 PM

Just got my stuff from MATS in the mail, they do not have your race listed anywhere on the schedule, just to let you know....Phill
Posted By: DEMONROB

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/09/06 02:38 AM

ILL BE AT THE ROCK WILL YOU ???

Attached picture 2459368-03532_jpg.jpg

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/18/06 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

permitted,

jim,jim,jim...you are kidding,right.....you honestly think a w5 powered 59 degree smallblock can compete with a setof of fully ported indy sr's sitting on a 500 inch motor...with only a couple of hundred pounds of weight difference...what are ya smoking??????maybe you meant w8's or something....

i dont have any likelyhood of competing in this series anyway...but a w5 is only marginally better that a w2 head(which is allowed)very little difference performace wise....in fact a big block eddie head has at least as much potential on a 500 inch motor than a small block stroker w5 any day of the week.........sheesh...i dont understand where people honestly come from with comments like that...really......

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/18/06 06:57 PM

I do exaggerate at times, just to make a point and get attention...

If the small block can't compete, build a big block. Nothing wrong with that! LOL There are plenty of small blocks going faster than big blocks, and vise versa.

It is hard to make rules. And these examples show why, people can look at things in different ways.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/18/06 07:21 PM

A class like this will be fun for the fans, but a joke for the drivers who are fund limited. It's the very reason for the invention of et racing, where the rules let everyone race within their means. It's also why it has (et racing) morphed into the toughest drag racing competition around.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/18/06 11:43 PM

Bracket racing is dull for spectators. Heads up racing is exciting for spectators. So, IMO, a spectator event like heads up classes, should be funded by the spectators and sponsors, not the entry fees of the racers. ie a payout to many of the contestants, so they don't have to have the fastest car to win some money.

Bracket racing purses are paid from the entry fees. It is by the racers, for the racers. That is another reason there are more bracket race cars than heads up cars.

I like the attempt to make Muscle Street an entry level (lower cost) heads up class. But they seem to be having problems attacting racers, so they open up the rules. The simplest thing would be to limit heads to factory production cast iron offerings, that will keep the cost down. The guys with aftermarket race heads can enter the other classes. I bet if they paid more than the entry fee for the 16th place car, they would have at least 16 cars! Same for 32, etc. How many cars do you want? Just pay them from the spectator gate fees, it is suppose to draw spectators, right?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/21/06 04:35 PM

Quote:

We have been getting a lot of questions on the Rockingham Race about the dates. We have been told that Friday the 14th will be a test and tune day.
Ben J. Gorman

I got an email from Rockingham today regarding their regular Mopar class:

"1/8th mile, no electronics in Footbrake, no transbrake, standard IHRA bracket rules, no ET break."

Is the heads up race using the entire 1/4 mile, or only half of it like the other classes?

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/21/06 04:56 PM

440 Jim,

I am pretty sure it will be 1/4 mile. That is what we have run in the past.

I know a lot of people have their opinions of what an entry level class should be like. All I can say is join the promax series, get a T-shirt, a chance at end of year points who wins cold hard cash and a vote on the rules. Ben is trying to make this series work for us mopar guys. Do I agree with all the rules - No. At the end of the year if someone is running away with all the races I am sure they will look at that combination and ding them for weight to ensure parity. We must first have the cars for these promoters to keep this kind of racing alive.

If you have 5 cars that are within 3/10 of each other in time. It then comes down to who can nail the tree. Lets get out and support what we got before we bash it.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/21/06 09:48 PM

They do have a 1/4 mile track. In 2003 I was there for the Mopar day and they ran 1/8 too. I am trying to convince a local guy to go down with me and enter his car in Muscle Street. I could loan him my mufflers and he is looking to borrow DOT tires to make his car fit the rules. He has 9" slicks on it now with open headers. It should be competitive anyway.

If it will be 1/8 mile, he could put 28" DOT tires on instead of the 29.5" slicks he has now. But we need to know, so there is time to find some and perhaps mount them on his rims, etc.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 03/22/06 03:47 PM

I would give Ben a call to confirm but it has always been 1/4 mile when we ran the KOS series Muscle Street class. He is on his way out to Vegas but I would drop him a line next week or you can probably contact Rockingham directly and see what they may know if it is a time crunch.

Ben's office number is 317-484-1451.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/02/06 04:57 PM

Who is coming out to play in the Promax Series for Indy? I hear the Chicago bunch will be there and the Vanada Family will be driving up from NC. Maybe we will see the Chopin's and others from the midwest. I hear that some heavy hitters are looking to snatch the prize money up for both classes.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/02/06 05:58 PM

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/02/06 06:15 PM

I go for the fun of it, I know you cant win them all...I have been to both of there events and its been great. I will be looking at the cars to make sure they have the safty equipment needed, No more cars running 10's with out a bar. That just crazy. If your car dosnt fit the rules enter a differant class. At the last race I only saw two cars with plates on them, street cars have license plates. Meeting new racers and having fun is what makes these races great. See you all in Indy....Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/02/06 07:06 PM

I am sure that Mike and Ben will be checking the cars real close. We had one car in each class that ended up not being able to run eliminations due to rule infractions so the rules are being enforced. As far as the roll bar goes the track sanctioning body is supposed to inforce that rule. I don't have a problem losing either Phil, just as long as the playing field is level and by the rules. Look forward to seeing everyone in Indy!

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/02/06 08:24 PM

Greg , this is off the Promax web site "* All track and NHRA rules and regulations apply".....This is there rule....in both Muscle & Xtreme. If this rule was enforced we would have faced each other in the final. If you are going to enforce one rule, you might as well enforce all the rules...Phill
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 02:50 AM

Phill's just mad b/c his stroked small block got outrun by a stock crank 440 w/ a blown head gasket CHIP
Posted By: Smalltalk

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 02:51 AM

In the Promax Extreme Street we need more cars. There should be alot of Mopars that would fit this class there are almost no restrictions on engine combo's or stages of nitrous. The biggest restriction in my opinion is the Dot 10 in tire, a
MT ET Street 30 X 12.50 15 or 295 x 65 15 Drag Radial is the largest tire you can run & you'll have to leave your wheelie bar off. You can go to the Promax Carbs web site to review the rules.
This is all heads up pro tree racing. We worked hard at Rockingham sorting out problems and going there without any previous testing prior to the race and were fortunate to earn the win with a 9.08 in the finals. Its all in fun but we are dead serious to run our best. Will be at Indy.
By the way we run a 69 Dart with only a 400 cu in Small Block,Arrington Heads & a single fogger at 3460 lbs.

Vanada's

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 02:55 AM

Phil,

I totally agree with you about the safety aspect. The tech inspection should have taken care of this when they asked the car which class and best time to date. Some tracks will shut you down real quick if they see you are in violation. If you have an issue with this, it should have been brought up at time trial time and definately before eliminations.

This was an Ihra track and I am not familiar with the roll bar rule. I have a copy of the 2003 NHRA rule book and if you run 10.99 or quicker the NHRA is supposed to make you have one. Does all tracks clamp down on you. It depends upon the track. I remember tony from Chicago with station wagon dipping well under 11's without a roll cage. I think he ran it at Rte 66 which is notorious for being sticklers on tech from what I have heard.

I know that big Chip is changing to a hemi and putting the car in the chassis shop to upgrade everything including a 10 point cage. I think there was no competitive advantage given to anyone in this matter. Was there a risk in the safety department "Most Likely" but he assumed the risk.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 03:07 AM

This was know, before, But let it go. I have no problem with then letting him race, just enforce all the rules period. I think Chip is a hell of a guy, And Im glad to see he is getting the cuda caged and new hemi installed. I even told him to be quiet about no bar in the car before the races started....I won the event in Vegas, and You in Rockingham, I hope some one new wins the race in Indy. Lets just go out and try to run our best. did you get your car to hook any better yet? Best of luck to you.....Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 12:31 PM

Phil,

No problem man and hope to see you in Indy. I would say that we will probably see a lot of fast cars in Indy and it will probably come down to reaction time for a few racers. Fred Bernardi will be putting his son in his blue Super Bee and he is about 80-90 pounds lighter than Fred. Fred went 10.29 in eliminations last year so we will most likely see some low 10's maybe even some cars in the hi 9's. Shawn Goodman will hopefully be there with his small block roadrunner from Ohio. Dave E. had some engine problems last fall so I am not sure if he will be out to play. I would say the Marshall brothers will be there along with Radar Watkins and Rick Hempel. I think there was a guy with an AMC car that was going to come out and race that said he would be putting up some big numbers so time will only tell.

This was the breakdown last year and it appears that everyone is stepping it up a little so I am just hoping to make it in the top half of the field if I can get the car to hook.

1. Fred Bernardi 10.290 132.93 69 Super Bee
2. Jim Johnson 10.448 125.33 74 Scamp
3. Shawn Goodman 10.701 125.58 72 Roadrunner
4. Greg Van Hoose 10.814 122.47 69 Roadrunner
5. Jim Burnette 10.859 120.55 70 Roadrunner
6. Sean Brady 11.052 121.33 69 Charger
7. Chad Marshall 11.091 119.77 70 Challenger
8. Rick Hempel 11.414 118.20 70 Barracuda
9. Radar Watkins 13.396 100.17 70 Sport Fury

My motor is a relatively a new combination for me and we have had very limited time to test. Once we get everything sorted out I think we will be competitive but we will see. My brothers motor will hopefully be done and he will be going faster based upon the engine builders specs. That is if the 8 3/4 can take the torque until he upgrades to a dana.

Good luck to all the racers and lets all try to pit together. Lets see if Ben and Mike can get us some reserved parking so they can direct us from the gate where to go.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 01:53 PM

Greg, are all those times on motor only? I wasnt sure if they could spray in that race....Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 03:16 PM

Those times were all on motor no spray. I am hoping we have a full field of 16. That would make for some interesting racing. That race ended up being # 7 qualifier against # 1 in the final. Just goes to show you that you don't have to be the fastest to make it to the finals. A little bit of luck and good driving goes a long way.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/03/06 06:34 PM

phill....we are likely gonna try and take my old duster down there for muscle street...should be lots of fun...we likely wouldnt get there till real early sat norning..how many muscle street time trials have they been giving in muscle street??

the guy iwould be worried about is chuck lofgren,if he shows up....

btw..you might of had something for chip..think he had like a +250 light..thats 2.5 tenths he gave up to ya..lol...

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/04/06 01:27 AM

Don,

Chuck is definately the man. He blew everyone away in 2004 in St. Louis with a 9.98 in the finals. If I am not mistaken he was running on a 30 X 13.5 X 15 which isnt allowed this year. I don't know how much an 11.1 tread width as compared to 10.2 matters. It definately causes traction issues but Chuck can launch that thing on ice and the wheels up. Look forward to meeting you in Indy.

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/04/06 01:46 AM

Quote:

phill....we are likely gonna try and take my old duster down there for muscle street...should be lots of fun...we likely wouldnt get there till real early sat norning..how many muscle street time trials have they been giving in muscle street??

the guy iwould be worried about is chuck lofgren,if he shows up....

btw..you might of had something for chip..think he had like a +250 light..thats 2.5 tenths he gave up to ya..lol...

They have been getting two runs in to qualify. Then start racing. take the best run out of the two and make the ladder....I got Chip on the tree by a tenth, but with a low comp small block against a big block he kept pulling away, he got me by a car and 1/2 at the stripe. he told me he couldnt see me in his rearveiw mirror..he ran a 10.70 to my 11.34... I dont worry about anyone but me and who im racing at the time. I try my best to bring as much as I can to the line and not disapoint the fans. My car will run Very low 10's on spray, but in muscle street im cubicly challanged......Im working on the car now to try to get it into the 10's on motor. All I can say is we will see. Stop over and say hello, its nice to meet new board members, as far as the race, the more the merrier....See you soon.....Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/04/06 05:59 PM

phill...i will try and stick up for us smallblock guys with a cubically challenged entry..

i will have to weigh 3350 with the w5 heads..which should be just about exactly what it actually weighs...my tires are 28 by 11.5 qtp's(10 inch measured)...

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 05/04/06 07:51 PM

Quote:

phill...i will try and stick up for us smallblock guys with a cubically challenged entry..

i will have to weigh 3350 with the w5 heads..which should be just about exactly what it actually weighs...my tires are 28 by 11.5 qtp's(10 inch measured)...

I am also at 3350 lbs, But I run a 325/50/15 and take the 50 lbs penalty for to big of a tire.over a 295..Mine measure 11.2 tread, 13.1 section. Still under the 12.5 rule.....Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 06/07/06 03:05 PM

Thanks again Promax crew for a wonderful time racing and gettin together at your shop. The race at Indy was unreal. From wheel standing B Bodies, to 17 year old class winners. I ran a new best trying for my first Nine sec pass @ 10.09. Maybe in St.L. It was great.......Phill

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 06/08/06 10:18 PM

Hey, Guys how about posting some pics of the cars that are participating or being built to participate in Muscle street and extreme street...
I'd really like to see them...Maybe next year i can get out and play too..

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 06/09/06 03:18 AM

looks like you already have the car needed, most muscle street guys are running 10.50 to 12.00....

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 06/10/06 01:39 AM

Nice Cuda Phill ,Looks good and runs good... I saw you racing in Virginia early this year
Keefe

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 08/03/06 01:37 AM

Well it looks like they are going to start pro rating the purses at these races, the ST louis race is next and they will pro rate unless there are 10 cars in each class. I dont know What is going to happen, I think the most was 8 in one class. Hope it all ends well.....Phill
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Heads Up Races for 2006 - 11/05/11 01:10 PM

I Have no idea how I found this thread but I did......

Let's all reflect
© 2024 Moparts Forums