Moparts

Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs

Posted By: @#$%&*!

Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 05:30 AM

Have you checked yours lately? The reason I ask is that at the track tonight THREE cars lost a rear wheel/slick due to broken wheel studs. The two cars I looked at you could see where the studs had been cracked for a while and could have been replaced before complete failure if only someone had taken a look at them.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 05:46 AM

I dont know about that but if my buddy takes the stickers off his 68 Cuda it would look just like yours. Ron

Posted By: bigdad

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 12:48 PM

Mine are 5/8
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 01:22 PM

I wish mine were 5/8", still have 1/2". Probably gonna upgrade soon now that I have a transbrake. CHIP
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 03:48 PM

Although I never broke a 1/2" stud, I upgraded to 5/8 when I put the 540 in. By the time you add up the cost of the broken stud, possible wheel, axle, quarter panel, and paint damage, I wasn't taking any chances.
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 04:05 PM

Quote:

I dont know about that but if my buddy takes the stickers off his 68 Cuda it would look just like yours. Ron

Mine isn't a Formula S, it's a Formula 318 with upgrades. It looks like he shortened-up his mini-scoop the same as me. Personally, I'd like to lose the scoop, but no cow induction hood in my future, got another idea.
Posted By: DARTSPORT340

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 04:24 PM

Quote:

Although I never broke a 1/2" stud, I upgraded to 5/8 when I put the 540 in. By the time you add up the cost of the broken stud, possible wheel, axle, quarter panel, and paint damage, I wasn't taking any chances.

I almost put 1/2 studs in my chassis car after i boogered up a few of the 5/8 studs getting them out...but I figured it's cheap insurance for the cost...
Posted By: RonTheAnnouncer

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 06:37 PM

My friend, who is a board member who shall go unnamed right now, had his finally give out as he was turning into his pit spot. This was after a wheels up 9.72 at 135+ pass. He had bought the car that way, everything is good now.
Posted By: cl440

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 06:47 PM

Watched a fellow racer lose a rear tire in the traps at 136mph a couple years ago due to a broken 1/2" wheel stud(s). Luckily he kept it upright and only suffered a broken arm and very minor damage to the car.

Needless to say we made the switch to 5/8" studs after seeing that.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 11:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine isn't a Formula S, it's a Formula 318 with upgrades. It looks like he shortened-up his mini-scoop the same as me. Personally, I'd like to lose the scoop, but no cow induction hood in my future, got another idea.

I am always getting on my buddy to loose that scoop and go with the Hemi scoop for the 68 Cuda's and Darts. His car is super clean and very nice but I dont like the scoop. As you see I like the more original SS look. Ron
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/28/09 11:52 PM

and somebody was making fun of my 5/8 studs the other day
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/29/09 12:07 AM

Been there, done that! Turned the roadster into a tricycle on the starting line. Next week had new axles and 5/8 studs.

Joe
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/29/09 05:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am always getting on my buddy to loose that scoop and go with the Hemi scoop for the 68 Cuda's and Darts. His car is super clean and very nice but I dont like the scoop. As you see I like the more original SS look. Ron

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks a scoop like that looks like on old box shaped cars ...
Posted By: BB70DUSTER

Re: Drag Slicks and long 1/2" Wheel Studs - 05/29/09 06:21 PM

5/8 studs here too... better safe than sorry, I think they look tuff too!
© 2024 Moparts Forums