Moparts

Zeeker heads 440?

Posted By: steve660

Zeeker heads 440? - 05/24/09 10:27 PM

Any one know about Zeeker heads?? Ive heard some talk about them, would like some input.
Posted By: Dodgeman67

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/24/09 10:43 PM

I know a guy that used to run some on a big inch motor, they must flow really well.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/24/09 11:22 PM

I am pretty certain that a zeeker head is the original indy head. Russ was the money and Zeeker was the head guy/pattern builder... I know Mike and Muscle Motors can fill you in on zeeker heads if no one on here can
Posted By: steve660

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/24/09 11:32 PM

A guy I talked to the other night bought a set of Zeeker heads and a Zeeker Tunnel Ram. Said he talked to Indy, of course they wouldn't comment on them, which doesnt surprise me.
Posted By: KD800X

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 03:25 AM

I don't think the Zeeker Head was the original Indy Head. The Zeeker Heads were available back in the early to mid 80's. They were a pretty good head in the Day. I knew a couple people that had a set.
I had a friend that was going 8.10's with a 477 ci 2300lb altered with Zeeker heads and tunnel Ram. This was back in 1989 - 1990.
He ended up getting one of the first sets of Indy Heads and Tunnel Ram back in 90 or 91. I don't recall any ties between Indy and Zeeker.
Although I could be wrong.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 04:24 AM

From what I've heard, Zeeker sold the pattern to Indy who then elaborated on the design and formed their own production run under the Indy logo.

Zeeker was the only small company back in the day that made aluminum heads available for the BB Chryslers. The Max heads were still the hot ticket for track with the 906's being the hot set up on the street.
Posted By: WadeMetzinger

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 12:02 PM

I ran a set of fully ported Zeeker heads last year and they flow very well.

They are the predecessor of the Indy 440-1s. Indy bought the molds/rights from Zeeker. The only change I know the really made to them was moved the oiling from the standard thru the block to the heads up through one of the rocker shaft bolts to from the back of the block via lines to the back rocker shaft bolts. Other than that they have pretty much the same port design, chamber, rocker off-set, etc.

Actually if you by Harland Sharp rockers for Indy 440-1s the part number has a "Z" in them because they were designed and built for the Zeekers not the Indy -1s. So the rockers are the same. The set I had had the rocker pedestals cut for big lift cams so the shaft didn't fit/sit into a saddle on the head, rather they had blocks that encased the shaft and fit flat on the rocker shaft pedestals.

I heard some had porosity issues but mine didn't. They worked just fine and were a great flowing head.

Here are a few pictures.

Attached picture 5250746-Rockershaftblocks.JPG

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 12:03 PM

Here they are next to a set of Indy 440-1s

Attached picture 5250748-Zeeker&Indy-1.JPG

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 12:04 PM

Exhaust side

Attached picture 5250749-Zeeker&Indy-1_exhaust.JPG
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 01:43 PM

The Zeekers are about the same as the Indy 440-1's. I had a set of bare Zeekers that had never been touched(still new).I sold them to a friend of mine about 2-3 years ago and hooked him up with Todd Marsh. Todd done a real nice job fixing them. The casting is the weak point on the Zeekers.Also be sure to plug the 1/4 in. oil hole in the head and drill a .060-.080 hole for the oil passage.If not they will fill the valve covers with oil. The 440-1 rockers,intake and all work on these heads.
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 01:47 PM

Quote:

From what I've heard, Zeeker sold the pattern to Indy who then elaborated on the design and formed their own production run under the Indy logo.

Zeeker was the only small company back in the day that made aluminum heads available for the BB Chryslers. The Max heads were still the hot ticket for track with the 906's being the hot set up on the street.

Not to start a huge war, but I think Indy "Stole" the patter. Zeeker became ill and Indy moved forward. Zeeker ended up passing away extremely poor as I understand it...
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 01:48 PM

Quote:

the business relation ship between Indy and Loren Zedyke wasnt exactly how its being described..
but ive been asked to leave it alone..
they are great heads..
cheapst
P.s. Loren was an inovator with the 4 link rear suspensions as well..back in the day..
and had major input into what is now known as the
W-5 for smallblocks.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 05/25/09 02:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not to start a huge war, but I think Indy "Stole" the patter. Zeeker became ill and Indy moved forward. Zeeker ended up passing away extremely poor as I understand it...

Loren Zedyke (Zeeker) moved from Hicksville, Ohio to Atlanta area and started a chassis shop with Dave Mosley called APE (Atlanta Performance Engineering). Yes, Loren passed and Dave is bedfast with Alzhimers.
Posted By: KelbigD

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/28/15 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By KD800X
I don't think the Zeeker Head was the original Indy Head. The Zeeker Heads were available back in the early to mid 80's. They were a pretty good head in the Day. I knew a couple people that had a set.
I had a friend that was going 8.10's with a 477 ci 2300lb altered with Zeeker heads and tunnel Ram. This was back in 1989 - 1990.
He ended up getting one of the first sets of Indy Heads and Tunnel Ram back in 90 or 91. I don't recall any ties between Indy and Zeeker.
Although I could be wrong.

Indy stole the design from Zeek! Zeek was a great man and is missed dearly!
Posted By: KelbigD

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/28/15 03:49 AM

You are correct; Indy Stole the design from Zeek!
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/28/15 04:02 AM

No way Russ Flatulence(SP?) would ever do such a thing. I've heard over and over he's first class guy??
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/28/15 05:53 AM

So Russ STOLE the idea from Loren?.........how do you steal an idea. There are bunches of alum heads out there now. Did all these companies STEAL the idea from somebody else. You see a market and if you can do it better than what's there, you do it. Called business
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/28/15 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By joshking440
Quote:

This is the story I have heard many times and believe, Zeeker had a small shop not far from where I lived in Indiana, he made and sold cages and chassis's along with the heads, the last time I was in that shop it was occupied by Danny Davis race cars, Danny's dad I think was Jack Davis of Hooker headers.

Joey
Posted By: 440sourcedotcom

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/29/15 01:53 AM

There are also Zeeker aluminum water pump housings out there. Very, very rare but we have seen them.

(apparently there is another thread going on about this now)
Posted By: Jerry Kathe

Re: Zeeker heads 440? - 04/29/15 03:01 AM

Fact – ICH did NOT steal anything from LZ…….but the Zeeker heads did inspire Russ to develop the -1s.
© 2024 Moparts Forums