Moparts

Tunnel ram / carb position question

Posted By: TrWaters

Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/24/09 09:41 PM

Picture this. Tunnel ram intake with a single Dominator carb. The questions are:

Is there any known advantage to having the carb mounted straight ahead, on a slight angle, or sideways?

Is there any known advantage to having the carb mounted centered front to back, slightly towards the front, or slightly to the rear?

I realize there are many variables. General answers are what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 06:35 AM

I would replace that top with a dual top so the carbs align over the ports like there suppose to
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 01:53 PM

ive got a few tunnel rams..
singles and daul carb..
first impression..the single carb...just looks wrong..
the spread between the rear 4 and the front 4 just looks too far apart for a single carb to work efficiently...
but its just an observation...?
cheapst.

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 05:28 PM

Two replies, neither of which have anything to do with the question that was asked. Thanks anyway.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by Defbob - 05/25/09 07:18 PM

Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 08:51 PM

Quote:

Two replies, neither of which have anything to do with the question that was asked. Thanks anyway.

i'm still not sure if this has anything to do with the question , but you can't put one carb anywhere, or turn it anyway to make it work efficiently on a t/r. i've been running t-rams for 25-30yrs. they were meant for 2 carbs.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 09:12 PM

I know this isn't the answer you want but every dyno sheet I've seen with a single 4 on a tunnel ram gave up a ton of power compared to a 2x4 setup. Dave
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/25/09 11:54 PM

twist to place carbs more inline with the ports

Yup - the port offset is 1 rod width or about 1", and the closer the top is to the ports vertically, and the smaller the plenum volume is, the more important it should be.
I wouldn't be surprised if some had anti-reversion stubs underneath that flared out asymmetrically to help this...

I have a feeling that high G cars may need the carb bumped forward a tiny bit to allow for the accel moving the fuel toward the back ports.

Re: Tunnel ram / carb position question - 05/27/09 01:32 AM

I dont dispute the fact that 2 may work better than one. I was just interested in the placement if one carb was used.

This particular top is a Hogan's , and it does have diversion underneath.

Thanks.
© 2024 Moparts Forums