Moparts

SB or BB?

Posted By: DARTSPORT340

SB or BB? - 05/16/09 03:54 PM

Ok im at the point where I need to decide on the powerplant for my chassis car. It will be street driven and I want to build a nice mild pumpgas motor to start with. My question is...what would you guys put in it? The car is currentley set up for a BB/glide but that can change easy. I do have a 383 with a nice cam I could put in it and I also have a glide with a JW bell on it. I would really like to have a sb and a 3spd in it though because im more of a sb guy anyway. I'm just undecided and now is the time because it up to the point where I have to finish the motorplate brackets.....What would you put in it?
Posted By: Slingshot383

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 04:03 PM

If you like small blocks, build a big inch small block. I've got a couple friends with 410 cu.in. small blocks in street cars running 10's on pump gas.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 04:14 PM

I have been running small blocks for 5 years, If I were to start again I would build out of a 400 block more power per dollar spent
Posted By: blown360

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 04:34 PM

Smallblock all the way!
Posted By: RonP

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 04:58 PM

I would do a search because you might find a lot of info your looking for as this has been discussed many times and a lot of folks are out racing this weekend.

Most people are going to respond in favor of what they have. Now I have a BB, but would do it again in a heart beat not just because I am a BB guy, but I have spent much time reading posts and pricing parts to know that BB is best for me.

If the actual size of the block(not cubic in) is an issue, then yea the small block fits better in most cars. Now when we are talking cubic in, I think the BB just makes sense. I watch all these posts and they are some serious small blocks on here even though 90% of them are strokers(so cubic inch does mean something). They seem to be much more involved builds than what I am looking for. I assemble my own stuff and don't have time or the knowledge to be messing with all of the exotic stuff I see going on and before I get bashed, for me, exotic is anything needing grinding, or angle issues, or a bunch of oiling mods, or intake cutting/rewelding and the list goes on.

My motor can be duplicated by anyone in a matter of minutes when it comes to picking parts. The only thing done on mine is grinding for the stroker crank and that was done by the machine shop. I consider it all off the shelf and throw it together. Obviously checking clearances and stuff. I know what parts cost and for me the BB is by far the cheaper/easier alternative. Basic combo that has been low 9.60's and with out a doubt will run in the low 9.50's after a little tuning and maybe some better air.

So do what you and your bank account are comfortable with. You can make a screamer out of either one. The SB guys will be here shortly
Posted By: Dodgeman67

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 05:13 PM

The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 05:32 PM

Quote:

Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 05:48 PM

Given a clean slate, and the option to go either way, Seems a BB is the only choice that makes sense.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 05:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: SB or BB? - 05/16/09 06:33 PM

My stroked 400(470)has been a dependable beast for over four years even w/a roller cam and 12.11 compression and I drive it on 91 pump and race it w/110. I`ll re ring it,bearing it,have the rollers rebuilt and try to keep killing it. BB all the way....
Posted By: DARTSPORT340

Re: SB or BB? - 05/17/09 01:29 AM

Thanks for all the input guys....It seems to me to be the logical choice to go BB to me too but I was just worried about the weight. The car is going to be alittle portly anyway because I'm going back with factory glass, adding a wiring harness, and making some additions to the cage. I was thinking with a sb I might save some weight but I guess with me putting it back on the street I cant really be too concearned with weight
© 2024 Moparts Forums