Moparts

The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long*

Posted By: HEMIDARTS

The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 12:26 AM

Well I have a 55 galon drum of C-12.

My brother and I filled up 3 of the 5 gallon jugs today.

I thought i had used and sold about 20-30 gallons.

So that left me with about 10 gallons left in the drum.

We decided to put the drum on the tailgate of the truck and poor the rest into a jug.

We started to unscrew the plug, it was dripping.

This made me mad ( I am not a very patient person ).

So i told him to let it rip.

I bent down to hold the jug, and it got ugly.

Next thing i know, there is race fuel being shot real hard at my face.

There was a lot of pressure!

I went and washed my eyes out real quick.

It turns out there was about 20 gallons, not 10.

I guess i did not use nearly as much as i thought.

Noone got hurt, i just lost some skin.

We did end up getting the hang of it.
I must say that it tasted kind of sweet.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 12:46 AM

Glad you didnt get hurt... its bad enough to get a
face full but it doesnt do well when you swallow it.
Being that I worked in the fuel lab for 35 years I
have worn my fair share of it

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 12:50 AM

thanks MR.P!
I have been laughing about it.
It wont happen again.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 12:58 AM

Quote:

thanks MR.P!
I have been laughing about it.
It wont happen again.

LOL... yeah its a total waste of racing fuel

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 01:06 AM

Your not kidding. That would be an expensive habit to form.
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 01:14 PM

Thanks for the heads up to avoid.

I use a siphon hose to transfer fuel from my drum to the jug. When the drum gets lower, I lift it onto a stand so the siphon works (drum higher than jug). This siphon hose is cool, it has a check valve that you jiggle to get the flow started. i.e. no sucking (bad idea).
Posted By: bonefish

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 01:21 PM

i did somthing similar except i spilled it all down my front,never thought much of it till about 20 min. later,took about 2 weeks before the blisters were gone from...well just use your imagination
Posted By: emarine01

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 02:34 PM

I love the smell of race fuel but Ill pass on the taste

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 02:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up to avoid.

I use a siphon hose to transfer fuel from my drum to the jug. When the drum gets lower, I lift it onto a stand so the siphon works (drum higher than jug). This siphon hose is cool, it has a check valve that you jiggle to get the flow started. i.e. no sucking (bad idea).

We were using the same type of siphon.
It was irritating me, and i really dont have patience for stupid stuff.
I would do this again, just make sure you have the outlet of the drum up, and you turn it down slowly.

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 02:49 PM

Yes, the siphon does take a few minutes to fill a 5 gallon jug. And as the level in the drum gets really low (3" or so) it can be harder to get started.
Posted By: CJK440

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 02:59 PM

I had a 5 gallon VP pail that was filled off a 55 gallon drum. I went to open it at the track after it was sitting in the sun for a little bit and when I pulled the Rings on the cap, the cap pulled off and it exploded in my face.

Oddly my eyes didn't burn, I must have closed them quick enough as my whole face was wet with C-16.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 03:16 PM

I use a old holley black with a 1/2 pick up , Now I know why I canned it , takes a while to fill 5 gals but drains the barrel to the last drop , put a filter on it just in case
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 03:20 PM

If someone has enough money to own/race a car that needs race fuel, he should have enough extra in the budget to have a spigot on the barrel.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1692/=1vvit8

Glad to hear you are OK, but if you're using and selling race fuel you really should get a safer/easier system that doesn't involve manhandling a partially-filled barrel.

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 03:36 PM

Quote:

If someone has enough money to own/race a car that needs race fuel, he should have enough extra in the budget to have a spigot on the barrel.

Glad to hear you are OK, but if you're using and selling race fuel you really should get a safer/easier system that doesn't involve manhandling a partially-filled barrel.

I actaully have a pump, but it was not there, and i was in a hurry. I am not complaining about this,
i was making a joke.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 08:49 PM

FWIW

I use this setup to MT drums. Open the discharge valve and then bled a LITTLE air into the drum and the product flows into your fuel jugs. I fill 10 jugs for every race. I never have to move the drum and don't spill a drop.
A little common sense goes a long way like opening the filler valve before cracking the air valve. I know some of you will say it's unsafe because of rupture of the drum but I've had pretty much pressure in the drum without any problem. I always close the air supply off before the jug is full that way the drum won't be over pressurized. I considered putting in a relief valve to protect against rupture but never got around to it.
All of my crew have used this setup over the years and I have used it for windshield solvent,anti freeze, mineral spirits, degreaser and more. The only thing I haven't tried is motor oil because we get that delivered in bulk into a tank with a air pump. I can MT a methanol drum in about 3-5 minutes with this setup into jugs, time is money. There's plenty to do running a alcohol car so we don't dick with trying to gravity flow the fuel out. And I have several drum cradles and spikets. I screw the fittings in loose and the air leaks out pretty fast so the chance of rupture is low. It don't take more than 5# of air pressure to do the job.
Long time ago I used to use nitrogren to protect the methanol but quit doing that about ten years ago. My fuel always passes fuel check.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 09:56 PM

Quote:

Just to be clear, most of those in that picture leak fuel like a sieve. I think they used to be called a "molasses gate"

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/15/09 10:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just to be clear, most of those in that picture leak fuel like a sieve. I think they used to be called a "molasses gate"

Yea none of those are suitable for fuel use. The correct spicket is spring loaded and can't be locked open.You have to push down and when you let go it closes. Even ball valves are dangerous because if the drum is left horizontal and something bumps into the lever the exspensive race fuel leaks all over the floor and could burn down your shop.

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 12:18 AM

Quote:

Some of us are faster than we can afford. I am low dolllar and low ET. I put more work and less money into my junk

Some things you have to spend money on, some you don't
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 12:46 AM

I bought a plastic pump/syphon combo from Tractor Supply for $22.00 and it works sweet, when the drum gets too low to syphon I just use te pump

Rickster

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 12:56 AM

Quote:

I bought a plastic pump/syphon combo from Tractor Supply for $22.00 and it works sweet, when the drum gets too low to syphon I just use te pump

Rickster

I've sold and still do sell many of those but all too soon they start leaking at the seams, then they don't sipon. They don't last,sorry. But we still handle them for someone that wants a solution right now and for cheap. We sell petro and race fuels.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 01:30 AM

that reminds me of a story..from when i was a kid.
we (my cousin and I)needed a quick fill up on our mini bikes.
so i took a small piece of garden hose over to my mothers 73 sport fury suburban..to siphon out some gas..
2 gals ,,,mom will never know...
"put your mouth on this"."I aint gonna do it.....move over ill do it..."
well wammO..mouth full of fuel..so we rush in to the mud room sink to rinse out my mouth before i DIE!....
3 min..later..OOPPs we left the hose in the wagon..
lots of fuel was missing from the wagon that day.
cheapst..
I dont remember it tasting sweet though..?

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 01:49 PM

Quote:

that reminds me of a story..from when i was a kid.
we (my cousin and I)needed a quick fill up on our mini bikes.
so i took a small piece of garden hose over to my mothers 73 sport fury suburban..to siphon out some gas..
2 gals ,,,mom will never know...
"put your mouth on this"."I aint gonna do it.....move over ill do it..."
well wammO..mouth full of fuel..so we rush in to the mud room sink to rinse out my mouth before i DIE!....
3 min..later..OOPPs we left the hose in the wagon..
lots of fuel was missing from the wagon that day.
cheapst..
I dont remember it tasting sweet though..?

that is a cool story!
It didnt taste sweet because it wasnt VP!
that is why it cost so much, it taste sweet!
Posted By: dc426

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 02:03 PM

Man that sucks. I know how you fell. I shot myself in the eye with carb cleaner last week
DC

Re: The wrong way to fill gas jugs *Long* - 05/16/09 02:10 PM

i dont think i would enjoy that at all.
I would rather have the C-12 over the carb cleaner!
I hope you are ok!
© 2024 Moparts Forums