Moparts

Detroit Locker on the Street

Posted By: 67Satty

Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/11/09 09:15 PM

How brutal are they on the street? I've heard they are noisy and clunk, that doesn't bother me at all.

What I'm concerned about is cornering. There are pretty much no straight roads where I live. The dragstrip is going to be the only straight section of pavement the car will be on.

The kicker is that I plan on driving my car to the dragstrip, which is Barona, which happens to be down a very twisty, narrow, winding mountain road.

I've heard you have to coast through corners with them. If that's the case, it will take me forever to get there, it's nothing but corners on the way there!

So any opinions about running one on a street/strip car? Thanks!
Posted By: 4spdJohnny

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/11/09 09:31 PM

I have had one in my car last several years. You can feel it "lock" up when getting back on the gas during low speed corners. Never have noticed anything at highway speeds on curves. The newer ones, got mine from Strange 4 years ago, or really quite. Every once in a while hear a click but once again only at low speeds.
Posted By: jughed

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/11/09 10:04 PM

i've been using one on the street for over five years now. no problems at all. mine also came from Strange installed in the complete rear.
the only clunking happens when going from forward to reverse, or vice versa.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 04:15 AM

I have had one in 63 for over a year now. I just put over 120 miles 2 weeks ago on a trip in PA that had some twisty roads. No problems for me. Sure sometimes you can feel a little clunk when it locks back up but nothing much to me. Ron
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 06:18 AM

do you have a dana 60 in the rear?
I have a limited slip for you.....
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 11:53 AM

Don't sweat it it will be fine and well worth the performance over a limited slip. I don't run detroits but my Jeep that I drive everyday has lockers front and rear with no bad side effects. If you think one locker clicks alot you should here two .
Posted By: belvedere383

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 01:16 PM

I have run a detroit locker in my Belvedere for almost 6 years now. The only time you can feel it is after you drive really slow around a corner or after backing up you can feel it click back into place. But i have never heard mine make any noise other than that. And i abuse mine with the best of them and it has never given me one single issue, probably the best diff i have ever had.
Posted By: patrick

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 02:04 PM

what kind of power level are we talking here? what kind of traction? (street tires? drag radials? slicks?)

another option to look at is the detroit tru-trac's...they're a torsen style (helical gear) limited slip.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 06:31 PM

Detroit 4.56 in a 8.75 rear end no noise at all. In fact one of the quietest rear ends I have ever used. Occasionally a slight nudge in a sharp turn. I also used older limited slip gear Mopar gear oil from the 70s and a additive don't know if that helped or not?
Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: Detroit Locker on the Street - 05/12/09 11:44 PM

I love mine, first of all about the noise, if your car is so quiet that you can hear it, you don't need a Locker

Like everyone else said, the only time I even notice mine is if I get in the gas a little to early around a SLOW corner. If you nail the throttle while going around a slow corner and have any kind of power you'll be in for an "interesting" ride

Go for it
© 2024 Moparts Forums