Moparts

Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring

Posted By: Von

Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/05/09 02:03 PM

What is the minimum clearance to have between leaf spring and the tire?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/05/09 02:45 PM

1/4"
Posted By: cudarex

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/05/09 02:46 PM

I only have about 1/8" and tire will rub when going around corners at that.
Posted By: Anonymous

Post deleted by moparts - 05/05/09 02:47 PM

Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/05/09 02:52 PM

Quote:

I would say 1/2" for street tire and maybe 3/4" or a hair more for a slick. The only reason I say that is the slick is a softer sidewall and will deflect and rub when making turns either when loading/unloading, during the turnaround at the end of the track etc. I have BFG radials for street tires with 1/2 clearance to the spring and never leave a scuff, But my slicks which are ET Drags you can faintly see a few scuffs on the inside sidewall. They are dimentionally the exact same size tire but one rubs and the other doesn't.

IMO you don't need more clearance with a slick verses a street tire. I've run plenty of slicks less than 1/4" from round tubing and they never touch except maybe a little during tire shake.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/06/09 02:56 AM

My Hoosier QTP's had a good 1/4" and they rubbed on turns all the time as I drive it alot on the street. I got new 8" steelies with a different offset and now I have over 1/2" and they dont rub anymore. Ron
Posted By: Quicksilver440

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/06/09 03:59 AM

I have 3/8" with my slicks and they don't rub...but they did at 1/4".
Posted By: Stroker Scamp

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/06/09 04:22 AM

id try to shoot for 1/2" just my
Posted By: enelson

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/06/09 06:00 AM

I went to M/T drag radials from QTPs and they are way better about not rubbing. I have less clearance than the QTPs and very minimal rubbing now.

Anything bias ply is going to not like going around corners with minimal clearance I think...
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Minimum clearance between tire and leaf spring - 05/06/09 08:40 AM

I think you need a little more clearance when you remove the clamps behind the axle that hold the leafs together. I remove mine for better leaf separation and notice that it will allow the axle to move more side to side in turns.

Just don't go so fast in the corners.
© 2024 Moparts Forums